• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Government to reduce vehicle population growth rate from February

StarshipTroopers

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Government to reduce vehicle population growth rate from February

By Hetty Musfirah | Posted: 10 January 2013 1816 hrs

display_image.php

Vehicles travelling on Singapore road.

SINGAPORE: Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew has said the government is going ahead with its plan to cut the annual vehicle population growth rate to 0.5 per cent from 1 per cent from this February.

He said such a cut will affect the quota for Certificates of Entitlement (COE).

A shrinking supply has already affected prices.

In the latest bidding exercise, COE prices for small cars, for example, climbed to another record high of over $92,000.

Mr Lui said there are no plans to review the system for now.

He added prices are also influenced by many factors.

"If you look at the prices of COEs, supply is certainly one of the factors that caused the increase but I think there are also a number of other factors as well, including the state of the economy, the spending power of people including their desire to own a car," he said.

Mr Lui said currently about 45 per cent of households in Singapore already own a car.

And the growth of vehicles needs to be constrained, given that land is also scarce with about 12 per cent of space already used for roads.

He said a lot more emphasis should be placed on making the public transport reliable.

Still, Mr Lui said, he has asked the Land Transport Authority and his ministry to look into whether the rebates offered under the new Carbon Emissions-based Vehicle Scheme introduced in January, has led to a more aggressive bidding for COE.

Mr Lui said: "The CEVs rebate for the carbon-friendly cars kicked in at the start of January. We know that the rebate ranges from $5,000 to $20,000, so I want to see how and try to understand this a little bit better whether there's an impact of this rebate being channelled towards more aggressive bidding for COEs in category A.

"It will, of course, take a little more time to stabilise because I think some of these things you can't decipher it in the space of one bidding, but this is something that we are paying attention to as well."

Asked if COE prices will be an issue in the Punggol East by-election, Mr Lui said he believes there will be more localised issues.

"No I don't think so. I think that while people may talk about some of these things, it may very well be on more localised issues," he said.

- CNA/de

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As I have said before, vehicle congestion can only be truly be eliminated when there is a reduction in the total human population on the island.

No amount of tweaking and tinkering with ERP, COE, car park fees will address the crux of the problem.

They don't get it. Or more accurately: they don't want to get it. They don't want to solve problems. What they want to do is leech more money from those gullible enough to play into their hands.

Dinosaur

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go on and buy more cars... feed the PAP govt until it becomes fat fat.

In a post on this forum, it was revealed that the boss of Fragrance chain of hotels has 11 cars. Perhaps this is his way of giving back to society (read: society = PAP)

What they want to do is leech more money from those gullible enough to play into their hands.

I dun have a car. I have been using public transport all my life. Am I gullible?

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I have said before, vehicle congestion can only be truly be eliminated when there is a reduction in the total human population on the island.

There can be a reduction in human population in Singapore when there are no jobs available here.

jw5

Loyal
Mother fucking contradiction...given that land is scarce why flood Singapore with FTs?

There is no contradiction at all.
More people and more cars = more economic activity/more revenue = more money for the elites.
You think they really worry about over-crowding when they are not involved in it?

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
COE is a blunt tool that only favours the wealthy. There is congestion mostly during weekday rush hours and in the city areas. Some roads in the business district look like a ghost town during weekends. This means that the issue here is not the absolute number of vehicles but the usage patterns of those vehicles. The focus should be on targetting road usage rather than ownership. The obvious solution here is to do away the COE and increase the price of using congested roads during peak hours to maybe $100 a pop. But this solution will never be implemented because retarded SGreans want to see the car as a status symbol.

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is how PAP formulate their policies in general

Solution 1 : Solve the problem and benefit Singapore in the long run but will not bring in much revenue for the government aka PAP
Solution 2 : Only solve half the problem but rake in millions for the government aka PAP

They will always go for Solution 2

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Nobody is forced to live on that crap Island. There are many other places in the world where cars are dirt cheap and COEs don't exist.

godiva

Alfrescian
Loyal
In future the roads in singapore will only have 3 cats :

1) Fairly heavy
2) Congestion
3) Massive Jam

Unless you travel from 11pm to 6am.

A Shankar

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the collected funds from COEs goes to LTA and channeled to be infrastructural funds so let us look forward to our Golden road.

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
COE is a blunt tool that only favours the wealthy. There is congestion mostly during weekday rush hours and in the city areas. Some roads in the business district look like a ghost town during weekends. This means that the issue here is not the absolute number of vehicles but the usage patterns of those vehicles. The focus should be on targetting road usage rather than ownership. The obvious solution here is to do away the COE and increase the price of using congested roads during peak hours to maybe $100 a pop. But this solution will never be implemented because retarded SGreans want to see the car as a status symbol.

Targeting road usage is already in place. It's call ERP

kopikia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its just a scam to wring more money from sinkies. How the hell do you talk about tackling road congestion without mentioning population growth (open virgina season for immigrants for 10 years), a creaking public transport (tried squeezing up a fully packed bus every morning?) that is overcrowded and unreliable (breakdowns).

Did they even bother to ask those people willing to pay the sky high COE and monthly parking at the office and daily ERP charges why they choose to do so? Is it cos life is so good and they have too much money need to throw some away, OR that the alternative which is the current public transport is not worth the hassle and stress?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No amount of tweaking and tinkering with ERP, COE, car park fees will address the crux of the problem.

They don't get it. Or more accurately: they don't want to get it. They don't want to solve problems. What they want to do is leech more money from those gullible enough to play into their hands.

Spore's public transport is not that reliable & people are willing to spend $$$ for the convenience & reliability of car ownership. It has in fact gotten worse. Recently phoning for a cab has gotten worse with waiting times of 30 mins+

It's different in places like HK. Have people who have worked there that going without a car there is not a hardship because cabs are plentiful & MRT convenient.