• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good Morning ~ Is it so hard to say when the lift door opens?

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good morning to All.

This morning, I woke up at 6am, put on my Nike tights and running top, Asics running shoes, and went for a run. I returned to his apartment block at 7am. Waited for the lift. Lift door opened and a Caucasian stepped out. He said "Good Morning". I returned his morning greetings.

When I am on my travels, whether in my overseas office or hotels, I find that the westerners tend to be more "generous" with their morning greetings when the lift door opens (as compared to the Chinese, Indians, Japanese, Koreans, Middle Easterns and others).

Often, when going down for breakfast at hotel lobby, and if the lift door happens to open on the lower floors, I will greet whoever that comes in "Good morning" too. It is just natural for me to do so.

I simply do not understand why Asians enters the lift, just keep quiet and pretend no one is inside. The worst scenario is when I greeted and a Singaporean couple holidaying in Tokyo, they pretended that I am transparent! So much for whatever courtesy campaigns, gracious behaviours, etc etc.

I don't stay in a HDB flat, so I do not know what is the culture of morning greetings here in Singapore HDB flats ~ especially when we have 40 to 50 storey block of flats, and the lift door is bound to open on the lower floors.

Nonetheless, I guess it is an "errie" silence when someone steps into the lift ~ given the experiences I have encountered with Singaporeans.

Is it that difficult to say "Good morning" for Singaporeans?

Does it cost an arm or a leg to be friendly and polite irrespective of what social class he or she is?

Last edited:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In sg only pap supporter say good morning when lift door opens.
Opportunities will say this :oIo:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
In sg only pap supporter say good morning when lift door opens.
Opportunities will say this :oIo:

Good morning Choot, why do you let political affinities determine how one should behave?

There is a fundamental flaw in your logic.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good morning Choot, why do you let political affinities determine how one should behave?

There is a fundamental flaw in your logic.
In my district pap won 80% due to all this lift hee hee Haa Haa gd morning supporter. They walk pass my unit with head stationery and leg still walking u say leh.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my district pap won 80% due to all this lift hee hee Haa Haa gd morning supporter. They walk pass my unit with head stationery and leg still walking u say leh.

Choot, if a simple and cost free "Good Morning" can win votes to the range of 80%, as you have alleged, perhaps all opposition supporters should do like wise.

Politics aside, it is just a simple and pleasant "Good Morning" greeting. No one is asking you to yak and yak with all the "hee hee haa haa". I don't. I treasure my privacy.

Talking too much to neighbours or colleagues in office after a simple "Good morning" greeting blur the privacy line and I do not partake in such idle chats. It only encourages unhealthy gossips in the neighborhood or office.

tictactoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good Morning Tic.

Thanks. You are.

Anyway sinkies are not likely to change their anti social habits for the next 1000 years so the best thing to do is to completely avoid sinkies until well into the next milennium. For example if you are in the elevator and it stops and sinkies come in, then its better to just quickly vacate the cabin and walk either up or down the rest of the way. If you need further advice and information regarding this matter then just PM the ultimate sinkie avoider in this forum. It is not too difficult to identify who he is.

sinkiesnotdumb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway sinkies are not likely to change their anti social habits for the next 1000 years so the best thing to do is to completely avoid sinkies until well into the next milennium. For example if you are in the elevator and it stops and sinkies come in, then its better to just quickly vacate the cabin and walk either up or down the rest of the way. If you need further advice and information regarding this matter then just PM the ultimate sinkie avoider in this forum. It is not too difficult to identify who he is.

You insinuating who? Spit it out la. Anyway magic stones have many, just google.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sinkies were more polite decades ago, including greeting each other when they pass. As time passes, and more people moved into HDB flats with smaller families. When I stayed in HDB years ago, I noticed that most people don't know their neighbours, let alone greet them. They all want to be left alone. It's a growing local trend.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkies were more polite decades ago, including greeting each other when they pass. As time passes, and more people moved into HDB flats with smaller families. When I stayed in HDB years ago, I noticed that most people don't know their neighbours, let alone greet them. They all want to be left alone. It's a growing local trend.

you are right for once. most people don't know their neighbours and don't want to know them either.

kopiunc1e

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporean like to greet "jiak pah buay" I'll refuse to answer back why I need to tell them I makan already or not. So strange.

Anyway Claire complain so much can fuck off to angmoh country and be happy there why suffer here?

SarahPeiLing

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This morning, I woke up at 6am, put on my Nike tights and running top, Asics running shoes, and went for a run. I returned to his apartment block at 7am. Waited for the lift. Lift door opened and a Caucasian stepped out. He said "Good Morning". I returned his morning greetings.

When I am on my travels, whether in my overseas office or hotels, I find that the westerners tend to be more "generous" with their morning greetings when the lift door opens (as compared to the Chinese, Indians, Japanese, Koreans, Middle Easterns and others).

Good morning Claire. Singaporeans do not mean to be rude, we are just slaves to social habit formed through decades of laziness. I agree that a greeting is a good thing as it lifts the mood and makes people feel at ease. Everyone should practice good greeting habits. From now on, I have decided to greet forummers too one my first couple of postings for that day. Have a great day, Claire!

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is threadstarter a sensitive new age GUY?!

What the fuck is good about the morning? Did u offer to give your faggot blowjob to those strangers?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once upon a time when I was a mere cog in the well oiled corporate machinery, I used to greet all my bosses and their bosses. Now, there is no need to. Simple as that. :o