• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good Morning ~ Is it so hard to say when the lift door opens?

jw5

Loyal
Bloody Nonsense. :rolleyes:

Don't harm others and be considerate to others (even if they are not your friends, family members or cronies). There is no need to make small talk. :wink:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bloody Nonsense. :rolleyes:

Don't harm others and be considerate to others (even if they are not your friends, family members or cronies). There is no need to make small talk. :wink:

Good evening jw5.

No one is asking you to make small talk. It's just a simple Good Morning when you see someone in the lift.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

Bro,
I used to live in Tampines in the past, knew most of my neighbors at the same level, I held on to at least 3 units' house keys. That's how much we trusted one another. Shared food during festive seasons and babysitting for my neighbors was a norm.
Shifted to Bedok Res, my neighbors in my block also greet one another frequently. Only difference is the level of trust isn't like my old neighbors in Tampines.

CABcommander

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good morning to All.

This morning, I woke up at 6am, put on my Nike tights and running top, Asics running shoes, and went for a run. I returned to his apartment block at 7am. Waited for the lift. Lift door opened and a Caucasian stepped out. He said "Good Morning". I returned his morning greetings.

?

They see your fucking ugly cheebye face + your humongous figure they tulan already :oIo:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,
I used to live in Tampines in the past, knew most of my neighbors at the same level, I held on to at least 3 units' house keys. That's how much we trusted one another. Shared food during festive seasons and babysitting for my neighbors was a norm.
Shifted to Bedok Res, my neighbors in my block also greet one another frequently. Only difference is the level of trust isn't like my old neighbors in Tampines.

Hello Zhihau. It is heartening to see you have warm relations with your neighbours. However, I wouldn't go beyond the morning greetings, and certainly not trust anyone with my house keys (though I do have his apartment keys now :smile:)

By the way, the correct word to use is "Moved", and not "Shifted" house.

To say that I'm shifting house, sounds as if you're moving the entire house to a new location.

Strictly speaking, shift does carry some of the same definition as move but it's a poor choice of word. When you're talking about changing the place where you stay, it's better to use move.

I made the same error in primary school and my English teacher corrected me openly in class. Hence I always remember this.

I do not intend any offence, please don't take it personally. :smile:

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... I made the same error in primary school and my English teacher corrected me openly in class. Hence I always remember this ...
from n exclusif, private crassroom 2 n open, public forum ...

ah zhihau wud haf problem upping ze ante ...

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Is it that difficult to say "Good morning" for Singaporeans?

Does it cost an arm or a leg to be friendly and polite irrespective of what social class he or she is?

Singaporeans generally don't have a habit of doing that. It doesn't necessarily mean people are not friendly.

A simple test would be how you respond when someone asks you "How are you?".

In Canada the general response would be "I'm good. And yourself?" or "I'm fine. How are you?"

Having lived in Canada for several years now, I've learned that people just say "I'm doing fine" as a general reply even if they are feeling like crap. It's just a standard greet and reply between people. Now some might say that's being superficial and artificial and all. But I think having this practice makes society a little more pleasant. I mean sometimes if you ask a Singaporean "how are you", they start kpkb about something complain and complain....all the negativity.

With regards to "Good morning" specifically, my guess is that in very crowded cities where you see lots and lots of people, the "Good Morning" greeting is more rare. Simply because you can't say "Good morning" to everyone. I mean seriously, are you going to say Good Morning to every single person who enters the lift each time the door opens considering the lift usually gets full before it reaches the ground floor? People get tired of greeting.....and then they just stop altogether.

Having said that if people greet and more importantly smile to one another everyday......it makes for a more peaceful and pleasant living environment.

"Action seems to follow feeling, but really action and feeling go together; and by regulating the action, which is under the more direct control of the will, we can indirectly regulate the feeling, which is not." ~ William James

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans generally don't have a habit of doing that. It doesn't necessarily mean people are not friendly.

A simple test would be how you respond when someone asks you "How are you?".

In Canada the general response would be "I'm good. And yourself?" or "I'm fine. How are you?"

Having lived in Canada for several years now, I've learned that people just say "I'm doing fine" as a general reply even if they are feeling like crap. It's just a standard greet and reply between people. Now some might say that's being superficial and artificial and all. But I think having this practice makes society a little more pleasant. I mean sometimes if you ask a Singaporean "how are you", they start kpkb about something complain and complain....all the negativity.

With regards to "Good morning" specifically, my guess is that in very crowded cities where you see lots and lots of people, the "Good Morning" greeting is more rare. Simply because you can't say "Good morning" to everyone. I mean seriously, are you going to say Good Morning to every single person who enters the lift each time the door opens considering the lift usually gets full before it reaches the ground floor? People get tired of greeting.....and then they just stop altogether.

Having said that if people greet and more importantly smile to one another everyday......it makes for a more peaceful and pleasant living environment.

"Action seems to follow feeling, but really action and feeling go together; and by regulating the action, which is under the more direct control of the will, we can indirectly regulate the feeling, which is not." ~ William James

Good Morning Nay.

I agree. I don't propose making it an absolute must. All I am saying is we should make our society more pleasant given the "urbaness".

Thank you. You write and reason vey well :smile:.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good Morning Nay.

I agree. I don't propose making it an absolute must. All I am saying is we should make our society more pleasant given the "urbaness".

Thank you. You write and reason vey well :smile:.

In case you are unaware, [nayr69sg] is one of our star "members" on this forum.

He is also a very well respected medical doctor, who did extensive research, "jumped" all the obstacles, applied for permanent residence in Canada,
emigrated from Singapore to Canada, was willing to start from wherever and whatever when he arrived in Canada (Edmonton), worked in a factory,
was promoted, progressed to another more responsible, challenging and rewarding position,
and (the rest of it, I will prefer him to tell you).

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had lived in Saskatchewan for a year, and people there like to say "How's it going?" instead of "How are you?".

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
In case you are unaware, [nayr69sg] is one of our star "members" on this forum.

He is also a very well respected medical doctor, who did extensive research, "jumped" all the obstacles, applied for permanent residence in Canada,
emigrated from Singapore to Canada, was willing to start from wherever and whatever when he arrived in Canada (Edmonton), worked in a factory,
was promoted, progressed to another more responsible, challenging and rewarding position,
and (the rest of it, I will prefer him to tell you).

Afternoon Charlie. Nice to see you post. :smile: You are also a nice gentleman too.

On Nay, I particularly like his way he explained himself without the unnecessary use of crudeness that I see here.

To me, an instant attraction, aside from his professional status and motivation in facing challenges, which are desirable traits in a man.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had lived in Saskatchewan for a year, and people there like to say "How's it going?" instead of "How are you?".

Afternoon Yahoo. I guess it doesn't matter whether it is Good Morning or How are you or How its going. A simple greeting towards another human being makes it more pleasant for everyone.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good morning to All.

This morning, I woke up at 6am, put on my Nike tights and running top, Asics running shoes, and went for a run. I returned to his apartment block at 7am. Waited for the lift. Lift door opened and a Caucasian stepped out. He said "Good Morning". I returned his morning greetings.

When I am on my travels, whether in my overseas office or hotels, I find that the westerners tend to be more "generous" with their morning greetings when the lift door opens (as compared to the Chinese, Indians, Japanese, Koreans, Middle Easterns and others).

Often, when going down for breakfast at hotel lobby, and if the lift door happens to open on the lower floors, I will greet whoever that comes in "Good morning" too. It is just natural for me to do so.

I simply do not understand why Asians enters the lift, just keep quiet and pretend no one is inside. The worst scenario is when I greeted and a Singaporean couple holidaying in Tokyo, they pretended that I am transparent! So much for whatever courtesy campaigns, gracious behaviours, etc etc.

I don't stay in a HDB flat, so I do not know what is the culture of morning greetings here in Singapore HDB flats ~ especially when we have 40 to 50 storey block of flats, and the lift door is bound to open on the lower floors.

Nonetheless, I guess it is an "errie" silence when someone steps into the lift ~ given the experiences I have encountered with Singaporeans.

Is it that difficult to say "Good morning" for Singaporeans?

Does it cost an arm or a leg to be friendly and polite irrespective of what social class he or she is?

What if I said Chee Bye to you

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Strictly speaking, shift does carry some of the same definition as move but it's a poor choice of word. When you're talking about changing the place where you stay, it's better to use move.

As much as I'd like to concur, I like to point out that Singapore is too small an island to talk about moving from a place to the next which could be anything vastly different to the original place. Secondly, the furnishings went lock, stock and barrel to the new place, merely small changes to the layout. Henceforth the choice of "shift" rather than "move".

By the way, it's not "stay" but "live". You stay in a hotel or hostel, you live at the location of your residence.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
As much as I'd like to concur, I like to point out that Singapore is too small an island to talk about moving from a place to the next which could be anything vastly different to the original place. Secondly, the furnishings went lock, stock and barrel to the new place, merely small changes to the layout. Henceforth the choice of "shift" rather than "move".

By the way, it's not "stay" but "live". You stay in a hotel or hostel, you live at the location of your residence.

Hello Zhihau. i agree with you on the stay vs live. Excellent! Thanks for correcting my error. My humble apologies.

However, I maintain my view on moved. :smile:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singaporean like to greet "jiak pah buay" I'll refuse to answer back why I need to tell them I makan already or not. So strange.

Anyway Claire complain so much can fuck off to angmoh country and be happy there why suffer here?
I also ask geylang chicken jia pa buay becos nothing to talk.