• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FT ASKS WHY S’POREANS DON’T GREET EACH OTHER, SAYS HE SMILED AT SOMEONE & THEY STARE AT HIM

Ganesha

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why people in Singapore don’t like to greet each other?

I’m genuinely interested to understand this. Every time you try to smile or greet someone in the elevator or other places, they act like they didn’t even see me.

Some people even make faces, like I asked for their kidney or something. Am I doing it wrong? I mean It has worked in other countries! A simple nod or a smile isn’t gonna hurt anybody.

BTW I’m not new in SG, been here for 5 years.

Netizens’ comments​

1. Most Singaporeans aren’t groomed for small talk. It’s a largely introverted Asian keep-to-yourself-don’t-rock-the-boat-don’t-stand-out-and-hammer-any-nail-that-do-by-gossiping-that-person-to-the-gutters culture.
    They don’t want to “waste” awkward time pretending to be comfortable with someone they have never met in their life and will probably never meet again. It’s emotional labour to them.
  2. I think in Singapore culture, it’s uncommon to be overly friendly….rephrase, we’re naturally cautious around strangers. So much so that when the situation presents itself, we don’t know how to react and hence have no reaction or go towards a defence mode of ignoring the person.
  3. My mummy say don’t talk to strangers or else they’ll kidnap me and sacrifice my soul to the underworld
  4. Hah my first year in singapore from the us, i was doing the typical american thing whenever buying something at 7-11, “hey good afternoon, how are you?”
    them — “ohhh hi” nervous giggling and them looking at me like i’m from Andromeda
  5. No one trust each other as much as they do before. I remember when I was a child, I was overly friendly and would smile at people regardless of whether I know them or not.
    But once I grow I realise the world isn’t as simple and as safe I thought, plus with my parent’s teaching and other life experience, I don’t smile much at anyone anymore because I don’t trust them.
    I believe introverts are this way too, not because they don’t like to talk, but more because they don’t dare to open their hearts to anyone.
    Unfortunately, sympathy, kindness, etcetera are weaknesses that are perceive by most of our population, as they are feelings which makes us vulnerable, and no one wants to feel this way because they don’t want to get hurt.

https://singaporeuncensored.com/ft-...-says-he-smiled-at-someone-they-stare-at-him/

Ganesha

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You Sinkies don't CCB ok, FTs are king, please bow and greet them and small talk with them.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knn Sinkies know that when a stranger smiles at them, it’s usually to sell them some shit. And who can blame them?

The world is so fucked up these days.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is an island of a thousand schemes and scams. When someone greets you out of the blue, chances are they're up to no good. People have been conditioned to be wary of one another.

oliverlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Pee and pee MPs try to stop over at my house, I slam the door in their cb faces. Who the fuck is this FT?

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
Why people in Singapore don’t like to greet each other?

I’m genuinely interested to understand this. Every time you try to smile or greet someone in the elevator or other places, they act like they didn’t even see me.

Some people even make faces, like I asked for their kidney or something. Am I doing it wrong? I mean It has worked in other countries! A simple nod or a smile isn’t gonna hurt anybody.

BTW I’m not new in SG, been here for 5 years.

Netizens’ comments​

1. Most Singaporeans aren’t groomed for small talk. It’s a largely introverted Asian keep-to-yourself-don’t-rock-the-boat-don’t-stand-out-and-hammer-any-nail-that-do-by-gossiping-that-person-to-the-gutters culture.
    They don’t want to “waste” awkward time pretending to be comfortable with someone they have never met in their life and will probably never meet again. It’s emotional labour to them.
  2. I think in Singapore culture, it’s uncommon to be overly friendly….rephrase, we’re naturally cautious around strangers. So much so that when the situation presents itself, we don’t know how to react and hence have no reaction or go towards a defence mode of ignoring the person.
  3. My mummy say don’t talk to strangers or else they’ll kidnap me and sacrifice my soul to the underworld
  4. Hah my first year in singapore from the us, i was doing the typical american thing whenever buying something at 7-11, “hey good afternoon, how are you?”
    them — “ohhh hi” nervous giggling and them looking at me like i’m from Andromeda
  5. No one trust each other as much as they do before. I remember when I was a child, I was overly friendly and would smile at people regardless of whether I know them or not.
    But once I grow I realise the world isn’t as simple and as safe I thought, plus with my parent’s teaching and other life experience, I don’t smile much at anyone anymore because I don’t trust them.
    I believe introverts are this way too, not because they don’t like to talk, but more because they don’t dare to open their hearts to anyone.
    Unfortunately, sympathy, kindness, etcetera are weaknesses that are perceive by most of our population, as they are feelings which makes us vulnerable, and no one wants to feel this way because they don’t want to get hurt.

https://singaporeuncensored.com/ft-...-says-he-smiled-at-someone-they-stare-at-him/
pap foreigner can all go to hell

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Smile simi lan jeow. I everyday worry about earning enough to pay my bills where got fucking mood to smile

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi!! My name is mojito!! If you give me ten minutes of your time, I will show you how to turn a few minutes of hard work a day, into a multi million dollar business!!!!! :smile:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not a uniquely Sinkieland thing, it's the same in most other urban cities.

That FT must have come from a provincial rural area of some country.