• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Frontline Connects《前线开讲》: Whitepaper on Population/ 人口白皮书 - 23Feb2013

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Rogue Trader

I can understand why you disagree with me. You may see things from a different perspective, view and angle. And if you don't take public transport on a daily basis, you may not realize that MRT, buses have always been crowded at peak periods (eg rushing to work, and rushing home after work).

For most Singaporeans, crowding in buses and mrts is not uncommon. However, the major breakdown of the MRT last year was one wake-up call. It exposed the failed notion of SMRT on the idea of having the same figure for maintenance costs for god-knows how many years, and would have continued doing so, had not such an incident happened.

Suddenly, ppl began to wonder why trains could breakdown when all along it had been fine.. and then.. a population figure of above 5million was delivered.. and ppl then asked, "maybe mrt trains not designed to hold and carry so many?"

And if you don't live in estates where malls are crowded day-in and day-out, namely (what I know) Tampines, you may not even feel that there is overcrowding. But, you may be different in that you are observant, or kept a close vigilant watch, I don't know.. but for most SG ppl.. it slowly cropped in.. and until the (unpopular) Pop White Paper came about to showcase a figure of 6.9million (whether it;s a target or worst case is irrelevant) for all to SEE, and HEAR. it got the (probably unwanted) attention of almost all SG ppl.

Take it from me, I have some friends, whose parents drive to work, and they drive their older folks in their cars.. and they don't even understand why I kept saying "overcrowding". To them, the ppl traffic in malls have not really changed, as they only go there on the weekends. Whereas, I go out sometimes no the weekdays, and the ppl numbers are horrendous. You can't move and walk around without brushing against other ppl's arms and shoulders.

I feel that the pappies have really not listened well with the ppl and tried to "pull a fast one" on this white paper. That is what I think is happening.

And the Chn 8 programme is so funny, cos the hosts faces were really "wood" when they saw teh resutls of the polls. In fact, I thought I heard a stammer from the lady host as she was reading the numbers of the poll, as if indicating a worry. And MP Fu's comments seemed to be a desperate attempt to play down the poll results. I think she knows the results doesn't say good things about how the ppl feel towards the white paper.. even after she had said so much, about the paper "for singaporeans" blah blah blah. She spoke alot, but to me, it was as if she only wanted to give a speech, and still didn't listen to the ppl.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Grace Fu conclusion is funny. It is 92% objection; but she keep saying it meant another thing.

I think this type of stupid woman cannot be a minister.

As a business owner; I love immigrants to push up cost of living and push down cost of labour.
But as a father of 2; I am totally against this policy as it will give away Singapore to foreigner.

I think Singapore is trying very hard to be like London. With 80% foreigner and become capital of world capital. The end result locals trying to leave because a Fish and Chip meal cost $20 pound.

She's also taking orders from above. So can't really blame her.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There lies the crux of the problem: the PAP is really a political party, of, by and for rich bourgeois business owners and elitists, with their multiple directorships and golfing vacations.

Maybe the PAP had been like that from the very beginning. Maybe somewhere along the way it had been hijacked and infiltrated by these self-serving, profit-maximizing business interests.

With that kind of support base and funding, it isn't hard to understand the underlying motivations for jacking up the population, all other costs be damned.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The male professor, who said he was born in KK, but raised overseas brought up a very good point.

He mentioned that some firms have so many foreigners, as compared to SG ppl in their offices here, that walking into the office was like going overseas.. and when you get out of office, like coming back homr to the REAL SG. Then (this is the point that I feel is most important), he asked, why are some jobs not filled with SG ppl.

He made a point, that if so much emphasis was on education, and the standard of education and all, why are some jobs still only filled with foreigners? I believe he is going on certain areas in the job market, where employers say that SG ppl lack the qualifications, experience or whatever. And I feel that this is a very good point.

If we are really focussed on education, and bringing up the best in our schools, whay are some sectors of the workforce, still seems rarely filled with Singaporeans? I can name one, the private banking sector, and the really big investment banking. It has been said that more foreigners are in these sectors, and the reasons cited (from newspapers) were that SG ppl lacked the proper qualifications, experience.. and also exposure.

Now, I don't know if the (unpopular) white paper has any part in it to address how it will create more jobs for SG ppl, but this point brought up, should be really looked into.

Already pappies have made u-turns on the number of doctors and lawyers, and are allowing more from overseas to enter SG market. Another "lack of foresight" in the earlier days, when the number of students entering doctor and lawyer studies were very much limited to very few places for students.

I only have this question, how many more are we willing to take. Usually ppl learn from their mistakes, but pappies doesn't seem to learn, from stop at 2, limiting doctors and lawyers numbers.. to not being prepared to handle the increase of population.. are they ever going to learn from their mistakes?

And my last question is, "what will it take for the rest of the SG ppl to truly wake up and see the 'crumbling; of almost everything around them?"