• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Exchange Rates for RM

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
I once paid a penny, go into toilet, but only farted and came out broken hearted! So yeah, every penny counts for me lol :p

Just curious, do you all really change money so frequently and in such large amounts?

I typically change at one of the money changers at Bukit Indah near HH. Got a rate of 2.42 on Mon and perhaps I could have gotten a slightly better rate of 2.427 in SG but the difference over SGD10k is only SGD70. Is this penny wise pound foolish considering the petrol/parking/time factor?

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, I do to offset the loan interest as I just started my loan instalment.

I usually do it during lunch hour to save on petrol/parking/time factor. I am not comfortable walking around with large sum of money even in Singapore.

$70 x 15 = one loan instalment. This is definitely not pound foolish.

Just curious, do you all really change money so frequently and in such large amounts?

I typically change at one of the money changers at Bukit Indah near HH. Got a rate of 2.42 on Mon and perhaps I could have gotten a slightly better rate of 2.427 in SG but the difference over SGD10k is only SGD70. Is this penny wise pound foolish considering the petrol/parking/time factor?

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess if you work at Shenton Way it makes sense to walk around to get the best rate on the day you are changing money but if you are working say west side and to take advantage of a better rate that is marginally better, it doesn't make sense to go all the way just to secure this rate.

So sorry, I don't understand your $70 x 15 = 1 loan instalment statement. Does 15 means 15 times converting SGD10k each time?

CameraMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, I work in Jurong area. :smile:

There are several money changers in Jurong. 5 - 10 minutes before lunch, I would call some of the money changers for rate. The one with the best rate will be the one where I will go nearby for lunch.

You can visit this link for a list of licensed remittance companies. Maybe some are near you.
http://masnet.mas.gov.sg/fin/findir/SDWFIDIR.NSF/749080FA65D4CAA64825713B0014FEE3/$FILE/RAlist.pdf

You are right about the $70 x 15.

I guess if you work at Shenton Way it makes sense to walk around to get the best rate on the day you are changing money but if you are working say west side and to take advantage of a better rate that is marginally better, it doesn't make sense to go all the way just to secure this rate.

So sorry, I don't understand your $70 x 15 = 1 loan instalment statement. Does 15 means 15 times converting SGD10k each time?

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
Back in the 90s till 2006,i was base in msia,and has been changing rm regularly at moneychanger both in msia n spore.
my exchange of cash is usually by the thousands not few hundred dollars,there was once i bring in $100k cash to a moneychanger
in KL in1998 when the market crash,the exchange rate was RM2.67,i use it to pay off for my rm300k apt in KL which i bought in 96.
this is my observation...the Ringgit will never go up..at the moment change small for expenses only
wait for the msia post election..it will only get worst..i predict it will go up to RM2.50 end of 2012.
rules for changing.
1.never ever change money in JB near the causeway or even in woodland area,you never know when you're being marked by would be robbers/snatch thief.
2.be observant when doing banking or withdrawing cash in JB or anywhere in msia,
once i withdraw some cash from maybank,did not know i'm being followed,went to meet a friend in a clubhouse,came out and my car window was smashed.some items were stolen but not my cash it was with me,i saw a lady robbed at gunpoint outside maybank
during cny,she was being marked inside the bank by these robbers.
3.always has friends or relatives with you when doing any cash transaction in JB.
do not take it easy just because so far nothing has happen to you,not frightening you guys but being so long in msia from JB to penang
being robbed,new car stolen,my resort apt in johor being ransack with verything carted off..i've seen it all.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good advice and reminder. Thanks much!

Back in the 90s till 2006,i was base in msia,and has been changing rm regularly at moneychanger both in msia n spore.
my exchange of cash is usually by the thousands not few hundred dollars,there was once i bring in $100k cash to a moneychanger
in KL in1998 when the market crash,the exchange rate was RM2.67,i use it to pay off for my rm300k apt in KL which i bought in 96.
this is my observation...the Ringgit will never go up..at the moment change small for expenses only
wait for the msia post election..it will only get worst..i predict it will go up to RM2.50 end of 2012.
rules for changing.
1.never ever change money in JB near the causeway or even in woodland area,you never know when you're being marked by would be robbers/snatch thief.
2.be observant when doing banking or withdrawing cash in JB or anywhere in msia,
once i withdraw some cash from maybank,did not know i'm being followed,went to meet a friend in a clubhouse,came out and my car window was smashed.some items were stolen but not my cash it was with me,i saw a lady robbed at gunpoint outside maybank
during cny,she was being marked inside the bank by these robbers.
3.always has friends or relatives with you when doing any cash transaction in JB.
do not take it easy just because so far nothing has happen to you,not frightening you guys but being so long in msia from JB to penang
being robbed,new car stolen,my resort apt in johor being ransack with verything carted off..i've seen it all.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Raffles1, my favorite money changer no longer do such remittance to a Singaporean bank account in Malaysia. Was told if I want, they can max remit 10K per week..

Any other remittance company that provide such remittance service? (10K per day is fine..)

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Raffles1, my favorite money changer no longer do such remittance to a Singaporean bank account in Malaysia. Was told if I want, they can max remit 10K per week..

Any other remittance company that provide such remittance service? (10K per day is fine..)

max 10k per week , so mean raffles still can ??? i was told they dun do for singaporean acct liao ...
other places charge admin fees .... u stay east side , i thought parkway parade have 2 money changers will do it ??

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Raffles1 rate is usually much better than those in Parkway.. I guess I have no choice.. but hope those in Parkway still do remittance for Singaporean acct..

max 10k per week , so mean raffles still can ??? i was told they dun do for singaporean acct liao ...
other places charge admin fees .... u stay east side , i thought parkway parade have 2 money changers will do it ??

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

as long raffles still allow remittance even thought 10K MYR is alright mah.. as long we stock enough cash to remit at 1 go..