• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Exchange Rates for RM

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi there, can i check wehther are u satisfied with raffles money changer @ jurong point? i am going over later for the TT transfer and would like to know whether its safe using them

Hi Graveyard, myself and other forummers like vincent and crystal have been using Raffles at JP and Clifford. I mentioned in earlier postings that my preferred choice is Raffles@JP because:

1) They accept CROSSED cheques payable to Raffles Money Changer. To my knowledge Arcade's remittance companies ask you to give them uncrossed cash cheques.
2) $10 admin fee waived if RM10,000 is remitted.
3) They give you slightly (very slight) better rate than the remittance rate if you use cheque. e.g. if remittance rate is 2.500, if you use cheque they give you 2.501.
4) They are a registered remittance company with MAS (Monetary Authority of Singapore).

I am fine if they take two working days to clear the cheque.
Personally I dont like to carry big wads of cash around or give cash cheque to remittance companies. Raffles@JP offers me peace of mind because of the above reasons.

graveyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Graveyard, myself and other forummers like vincent and crystal have been using Raffles at JP and Clifford. I mentioned in earlier postings that my preferred choice is Raffles@JP because:

1) They accept CROSSED cheques payable to Raffles Money Changer. To my knowledge Arcade's remittance companies ask you to give them uncrossed cash cheques.
2) $10 admin fee waived if RM10,000 is remitted.
3) They give you slightly (very slight) better rate than the remittance rate if you use cheque. e.g. if remittance rate is 2.500, if you use cheque they give you 2.501.
4) They are a registered remittance company with MAS (Monetary Authority of Singapore).

I am fine if they take two working days to clear the cheque.
Personally I dont like to carry big wads of cash around or give cash cheque to remittance companies. Raffles@JP offers me peace of mind because of the above reasons.

thanks Ming Chye and rest. i called them up and enquire abt the rate and the staff is polite and helpful on the phone. this makes me feel good abt this changer

I think i will use them hereon for TT service. Yes carrying big wads of cash even in SG makes me feel uncomfortable and uneasy. I used to change here and bring RM10K+ over to msia which i think is risky so TT would be a better choice.

the waiver for RM10K remittance is pretty sweet as others like in Arcade waive only when you TT SGD10K.

ChiKopPow

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any latest best rate for the day? I will be heading across for holiday soon. Thanks in advance:smile:

Last edited:

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Peso, Ringgit Lead Gain in Asia Currencies on Surprise U.S. Data

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-02/peso-ringgit-lead-gain-in-asia-currencies-on-surprise-u-s-data.html

Asian currencies strengthened, led by the Philippine peso and Malaysia’s ringgit, as a surprise rebound in U.S. manufacturing improved the export outlook and buoyed demand for emerging-market assets.
The MSCI Asia Pacific Index of stocks snapped a two-day loss after data showed yesterday that the U.S. Institute for Supply Management’s factory index climbed to 51.5 last month from 49.6 in August. That breached the 50 level, signaling expansion, and beat the median estimate of 49.7 in a Bloomberg survey.
“The ISM came out better than expected, so that provided some support for risk sentiment,” said Sim Moh Siong, a currency strategist at Bank of Singapore Ltd. “Investors are diversifying away from the U.S. dollar and European debt.”
The peso climbed 0.4 percent to close at 41.605 per dollar, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The ringgit gained 0.4 percent to 3.0519 and Thailand’s baht advanced 0.2 percent to 30.73. The Bloomberg-JPMorgan Asia Dollar Index touched 117.37, just shy of yesterday’s 117.40 that was the highest since March 12. The gauge later fell 0.2 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said yesterday he will sustain record stimulus that boosts the supply of dollars. The Fed announced Sept. 13 it would buy $40 billion of mortgage- backed debt a month until the economic recovery is well- established.
The U.S. Labor Department is due to issue jobs data Oct. 5. The unemployment rate may have climbed to 8.2 percent in September, from 8.1 percent a month earlier, according to the median estimate of economists in a Bloomberg News survey. It has been more than 8 percent since January 2009.
Won Weakens
The baht touched a two-week high after global funds bought $28 million more equities than they sold yesterday and pumped a net $89 million into sovereign debt, according to data from the stock exchange and Thai Bond Market Association. The U.S. is Thailand’s third-largest export market, taking about 10 percent of shipments in the first seven months of this year.
“Better-than-expected data out of the U.S. improved risk sentiment,” said Hideki Hayashi, a researcher at the Japan Center for Economic Research in Tokyo. “Now investors are waiting for jobs data from the U.S.”
South Korea’s won dropped 0.1 percent to 1,112.68 from Sept. 28 as traders returned from a holiday yesterday, when China reported manufacturing contracted for a second month in September. Korean data issued today showed consumer prices increased 2 percent last month from a year earlier, accelerating from 1.2 percent in August and more than the 1.8 percent forecast by economists. Financial markets will shut again tomorrow for a public holiday.
Elsewhere in Asia, Indonesia’s rupiah rose 0.1 percent to 9,581 per dollar. Taiwan’s dollar advanced 0.1 percent to NT$29.385 and Vietnam’s dong was little changed at 20,885. Chinese markets are closed all week for holidays, while Indian markets are shut today.
To contact the reporter on this story: Kyoungwha Kim in Singapore at [email protected]; Liau Y-Sing in Kuala Lumpur at [email protected]

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for this informative article, BUT Shouldn't this be in the CURRIENCIES folder started by Muthukali who provides a currencies analysis on a weekly basis.....

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks.
And there is speculation that MAS may start to ease S$ this month due to the lower inflation last quarter.
This is to help our export.