• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is not a joke nor a debate on imaginary events. the reason i'm curious about this law is i have a good ex-sg friend who had been confronted by sg immigration, asked to step aside, go to an office, was interrogated, asked to surrender the sg passport and was fined $1000. all she did was go thru' immigration with her french passport.

can anyone give me an answer? and i'm not asking you scroo because you have been of no help.

I have witness my wife renoucing her sg citizenship at ICA. Do you think it can be done just in front of a immigration officer ?

Interrogated and asked to surrender the sg passport could also be due to the fact that - The person holding the passport had claimed tat the passport has been lost and was found again and kept you using it. For instance, I bump into a Ex-sg friend at Taipei CKS Airport on a flight from Taipei to MNL, he is actually holding a Sg passport to clear the immigration and he board the plane when we landed in MNL. He cleared customs with his Philippines Passport.
He did not tell me anything about it. i suspect that he declared his passport lost before he left Sg, became a citizen in Philippines. When he renouced his Sg citizenship and and gave immigation the new passport and continue flying around on his old passport.

Dont be naive, the world outside Sg is very different. There are x Sgean that u met that are really smart. I suspect that this same guy might have wack on the banks with a high Credit Card or unsecured Line of Credit before leaving. What happened to you "Friend" you have to take it with a grain of salt - do you think she will tell you the full and real story?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not to worry, will still provide some possible explanation. Only your friend will know. Most people are too embarrassed to tell the real reason why they have been caught. It can range from false declaration on the disembarkation card to any number of things as one forummers suggested - falsely reporting the loss of a passport.

By the way, they cannot seize the passport unless you committed an offence in relation to the passport such as loaning it to someone else, or applying for it with false information.

If this happenned 20 years ago, its a possibility.

As ICA does not provide generals answers, you might want to call them personally and they will handle on a case by case basis. In that sense, you can act with confidence and not be driven by self fear and rumours. I am sure if you have not committed any crime, completed your NS liability, you will receive positive feedback.

I do recall a post that someone posting his positive experience with ICA in this or related thread.

this is not a joke nor a debate on imaginary events. the reason i'm curious about this law is i have a good ex-sg friend who had been confronted by sg immigration, asked to step aside, go to an office, was interrogated, asked to surrender the sg passport and was fined $1000. all she did was go thru' immigration with her french passport.

can anyone give me an answer? and i'm not asking you scroo because you have been of no help.

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
One should be very careful not to enter Singapore with a foreign passport should one wish to retain dual nationality status, which is illegal, but openly tolerated by our government.

What if the SG passport is expired? I don't think you can renew an SG passport if you have acquired another citizenship.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have witness my wife renoucing her sg citizenship at ICA. Do you think it can be done just in front of a immigration officer ?

Interrogated and asked to surrender the sg passport could also be due to the fact that - The person holding the passport had claimed tat the passport has been lost and was found again and kept you using it. For instance, I bump into a Ex-sg friend at Taipei CKS Airport on a flight from Taipei to MNL, he is actually holding a Sg passport to clear the immigration and he board the plane when we landed in MNL. He cleared customs with his Philippines Passport.
He did not tell me anything about it. i suspect that he declared his passport lost before he left Sg, became a citizen in Philippines. When he renouced his Sg citizenship and and gave immigation the new passport and continue flying around on his old passport.

Dont be naive, the world outside Sg is very different. There are x Sgean that u met that are really smart. I suspect that this same guy might have wack on the banks with a high Credit Card or unsecured Line of Credit before leaving. What happened to you "Friend" you have to take it with a grain of salt - do you think she will tell you the full and real story?

it's easy to identify her as singaporean from her speech. but i'm sure the immigration officer had more info than that. her french passport has her married name on it, and it's a combination of her full maiden sg name with her husband's last name. she's an honest person and will not hide anything. asked if she was still an sg citizen, she said yes. and that was enough for them to slap the offense on her. the problem with sg law is that they have multiple angles to throw shit at you. it's not just from one section or article. they cited contravention to the immigration act that if you are an sg citizen, you should enter with an sg passport or if you are a non-sg citizen, you should enter with a foreign passport. you can't be a citizen and enter with a foreign passport, and you can't be a non-citizen and enter with an sg passport. that became pretty obvious after the charge.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You seriously do have an issue with comprehension and interpretation. Not trying to belittle you but I suspect that English may not be your first subject. You might want to bring this to a family friend who is good in the language or get a reputable lawyer. Its better than living in fear or being misled. The clue is also there indicating the existence of dual citizenship.

By the way, countries that allow dual citizenship always advise multiple passport holders to use the passport of the country that they entering and exiting for census purposes.

Do like the bit about the "french buddy," "mood of the immigration officer" "camel", "straw" etc. Does give colour to the posting.

i'm not even gonna answer you on this, as your unsolicited bs is purely conjectural and totally unhelpful.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From what i read so far I will agreed with scroobal. Anyway, it does not make any different. Once i get the CA citizenship, i will chop up my Sg and collect my cpf before it becomes too late.

why give up your sg citizenship when you agree that there's no penalty and nothing to lose in having dual citizenship? this logic is baffling.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You don't have to show anything when you renew your passport.

when i held my sg passport and had to renew, all i had to do was file for the renewal with the nearest consulate, and they will process it with the ica or its predecessor (sir?). but times have changed. i believe there are new rules now, and you have to state your residence. if pr, they will proceed. if naturalized, they will not. there's a form, and you cannot misrepresent or submit false info. and if you lie, they will find out sooner or later, and it's up to them to slap you with some shit when you enter sg on another passport.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats probably what happened to your friend that acquired French citizenship. Its best not to lie or make false declaration. If they don't renew, just use the passport of the new country. They still can't touch your singapore citizenship if you provided correct information.

when i held my sg passport and had to renew, all i had to do was file for the renewal with the nearest consulate, and they will process it with the ica or its predecessor (sir?). but times have changed. i believe there are new rules now, and you have to state your residence. if pr, they will proceed. if naturalized, they will not. there's a form, and you cannot misrepresent or submit false info. and if you lie, they will find out sooner or later, and it's up to them to slap you with some shit when you enter sg on another passport.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got to respect people's wishes and desires. Let them make their own choices. The purpose of this thread is share experiences and look for factual information. Please can verify and make informed choices.

All you have done is keeping misinterpreting the laws which is not the right thing to do. Why don't you check with someone who is good in the language and someone you can trust. Maybe your wife can help.

why give up your sg citizenship when you agree that there's no penalty and nothing to lose in having dual citizenship? this logic is baffling.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pointless living in fear and in the past.

the problem with you is that when you get called out on your bs, you start to get into more bs. this is out from nowhere, most likely from your ego being busted.

those who have left sg have in the 1st place overcome their fears and their past, unlike you who are still stuck there.

why should i live in fear when i have a clean break? all paperwork was in order, and i didn't give false info to the authorities. i can travel in and out of sg anytime i wish. they still send invites to me to return to sg to invest and work. sg is a great place, and i will visit regularly. but i have more invested here in the us, and i have decided to become a citizen here to participate in the political issues here, mostly local issues that affect the direct investments and how they are taxed and regulated. there's nothing for me in sg to participate in. the current sg regime is good to me, treats me as an elite, and doesn't bother me. i prefer they remain in power as long as i live. :biggrin:

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You got to respect people's wishes and desires. Let them make their own choices. The purpose of this thread is share experiences and look for factual information. Please can verify and make informed choices.

All you have done is keeping misinterpreting the laws which is not the right thing to do. Why don't you check with someone who is good in the language and someone you can trust. Maybe your wife can help.

thank you, but so far, most of your stuff is not factual, but conjectural. if you are so full of it, why are you still in sg? what happened to plan b and your foreign passport?

i appreciate the contributions of folks who have taken that real step of launching themselves abroad and living it, not some conjecturist who talks a lot but is still stuck in sg and attempts to be an expat wannabe. when you set your foot in another country, tell me about it. i'll be happy to share stories with you.:rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then why the paranoia and fear. Every thread on dual citizenship you post comments that clear show fear. Most of us have not done anything wrong to have fear.

When asked to explain, you quote laws that are no applicable. There must be a basis for your fear. The only consistency in all your posting is your fear.

After much persusion, you quoted Sec 129 of the consitution. When it was explained to you, then it was Sec 134. Again you misinterpreted it. Then after a while, you came out with the Immigration Act, which was also misinterpreted by you.

Then you came out with a story about your friend who has French passport.

I have no doubt that everyone in this thread is cautious and have no desire to commit an offence or do anything illegal. Thats the purpose of this thread.

Do be rational and objective. Frankly what you do in the US has nothing to do with dual citizenship and the issue at hand.

i can travel in and out of sg anytime i wish. they still send invites to me to return to sg to invest and work. sg is a great place, and i will visit regularly. but i have more invested here in the us, and i have decided to become a citizen here to participate in the political issues here, mostly local issues that affect the direct investments and how they are taxed and regulated. there's nothing for me in sg to participate in. the current sg regime is good to me, treats me as an elite, and doesn't bother me. i prefer they remain in power as long as i live. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats exactly the people who are interested in dual citizenship. Why would a singaporean who has not migrated or has no intention to migrate. Thats common sense.

This thread is useful for those who have to make choices. I do not wish to see anyone throw away their right to hold on to things because of false information or fear.

Lucky there are mixed views so it forces people to consider and do their own research. I am sure nobody is going to do anything on my say so. In a way, you helped by playing devil's advocate though unintentionally. Now we know that the laws raised by you does not mean what you claim.

i appreciate the contributions of folks who have taken that real step of launching themselves abroad and living it, :

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, what has what you wrote below got to do with this thread. No one is questioning your capacity to do well or why you admire the regime.

The thread is about dual citizenship and issues that are related to emigration which is now relevant to many Singaporeans. Many of us have made the move or we know friends and family who have.

Just contribute along those lines.

. they still send invites to me to return to sg to invest and work. sg is a great place, and i will visit regularly. but i have more invested here in the us, and i have decided to become a citizen here to participate in the political issues here, mostly local issues that affect the direct investments and how they are taxed and regulated. there's nothing for me in sg to participate in. the current sg regime is good to me, treats me as an elite, and doesn't bother me. i prefer they remain in power as long as i live. :biggrin:

AhSo1

Alfrescian
Loyal
What if the SG passport is expired? I don't think you can renew an SG passport if you have acquired another citizenship.

As long as you are careful never to enter Singapore using a foreign passport with your same name, the Singapore Government will have no record of alternative citizenship. You are therefore not restricted. The ICA records go by name, then passport.

This is the reason "innocent" people are stopped at the airport /checkpoints, because of same name, wrong person, wrong nationality issues. Its very common, but the person has to be processed through a lengthy interview which is unjust, as their only crime seems to be having the same name as a wanted person in Singapore. Enter Singapore under a foreign passport, same name, the ICA will be aware and you will not be allowed to renew your passport at expiry if you are over 21 years of age. The question only comes up in two scenarios, 1) IC issue and 2) Passport Issue. There is precedent where the ICA has allowed it, but its on a case by case basis.

Conversely, someone who is wanted in Singapore can enter with a different passport different name and will not be detected unless they check "yes" on the white card to "Have you ever entered Singapore Using Different Passport or Name"

Hope this helps. The unofficial-illegal dual nationals in Singapore and abroad are very careful never to enter Singapore using a foreign passport.

livingstone

Alfrescian
Loyal
As long as you are careful never to enter Singapore using a foreign passport with your same name, the Singapore Government will have no record of alternative citizenship. You are therefore not restricted. The ICA records go by name, then passport....

This is easy to solve. In the US, you can easily get a lawyer and change your name officially. Make sure you modify your name and all properties you own in the US will be your US official name, and anything in Singapore will be Singapore's name. But sooner or later, they will ask you to provide evidence of your PR status. Worry about that later.

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about fingerprint eradication? Can the US help?

This is easy to solve. In the US, you can easily get a lawyer and change your name officially. Make sure you modify your name and all properties you own in the US will be your US official name, and anything in Singapore will be Singapore's name. But sooner or later, they will ask you to provide evidence of your PR status. Worry about that later.