• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
SCHOOL:
Doesn't really matter; no point wasting money enrolling in private schools. Unlike Singapore, getting into Uni is NOT a problem, so no point fretting about which HIGH SCHOOL one studies in. If one's kids are DUMB, putting him in a good highly ranked school won't make any difference. The only thing to watch out for those with teenage daughters is they could get drunk, drugged, deflowered and made pregnant by some smooth talking ANGMOH boy driving a beat up cheap car (students can drive at age 15).
Thanks brother, another mine to avoid -

REGRETS, NOSTALGIA
Only regret was not having emigrated earlier. Nostalgia is IRRELEVANT as the OLD SINGAPORE haunts/places where one was born at(old KK is gone), lived at, studied at and recreation areas during one's childhood years have long gone. Even the good old hawker fares are no more, only franchised cheap imitations offered at sky high prices for nothing but crap

Test run and experiment many times, always on the lookout to work overseas when from mid 20's until 30's. After that I learn that it is better to adapt to the society rather than try to reshape or find spots in the society that has the sg factors in it. In Edmonton, the sg club is not pro sg govt, i know that a few x-sgean members who are insurance agt or realtors are using it fatten up thier wallet by trying to sell you insurances that are not suitable, or their listing of residential houses or businesses. That why, i do not intro them to the families that i help to do the landing.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent point. Nothing to remember including the people. FTs manning every service counter, shops, coffeeshop etc. It becoming a different country all together.

REGRETS, NOSTALGIA
Only regret was not having emigrated earlier. Nostalgia is IRRELEVANT as the OLD SINGAPORE haunts/places where one was born at(old KK is gone), lived at, studied at and recreation areas during one's childhood years have long gone. Even the good old hawker fares are no more, only franchised cheap imitations offered at sky high prices for nothing but crap

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seeking Clarification

Anyone out there who migrated with young boys using the new biometric passport can provide any details on when the age for NS liability begins. Previously using the old passport (not biometric passports) , validity stopped at 11 and thus indicating NS liability.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2006/jul/25jul06_nr2.html

Introduction of the Singapore Biometric Passport - Revisions To Exit Control Measures

Posted: 25 Jul 2006, 1800 hours (Time is GMT +8 hours)

The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority will launch the Singapore Biometric Passport on 15 August 2006 to replace the current Singapore Passport (non-biometric). As part of its security features, Singapore Biometric Passports will adopt a 'write-once' standard, where personal data and passport details written on the integrated chip upon issue cannot be updated or amended. The Singapore Biometric Passport is non-extendable. A new biometric passport will have to be issued upon expiry.

A continuation of the policy to limit the passport validity of young NS-liable males aged between 11 to enlistment would translate to greater inconvenience and higher costs for such males and their families, as they will have to pay for a new passport upon expiry. To avoid this inconvenience and cost, MINDEF has decided to remove passport controls for these NS-liable males and allow them to be issued with passports of full validity. According to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority, on average, 100,000 pre-enlistee passport holders have their passports extended annually. With the issuance of passports of full validity, pre-enlistee passport holders will no longer need to renew their passports once every 2 years or 1 year.

Exit control measures however continue to be relevant and necessary to deter potential NS defaulters and serve as a strong psychological reminder of their NS obligation. MINDEF has therefore decided to extend exit permit requirements, which currently affect only males aged 16½ to enlistment, to males aged 13 to below 16½.

To avoid inconveniencing those who make short overseas trips during vacations, an exit permit will only be required for overseas trips of 3 months or longer. Those who require exit permits of 2 years or longer will be required to furnish a bond. This bonding requirement is similar to the current arrangement where a bond is required if the NS-liable male requires a passport validity of longer than 2 years. There will be no change to the exit permit and bonding requirements for NS-liable males aged 16½ to enlistment.

Pre-enlistees who have any queries about the new policies can contact the NS Portal Customer Service Centre at Tel: 1800-3676767 (1800-eNSNSNS) or email: [email protected]. They can also refer to the NS portal (www.ns.sg) for more information.

A summary of the present and revised exit control measures for NS-liable males is given in the following table:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Recent Immigrants to Canada compared to the old days

Thought Process for Migrating

Thought I will share some opinions for those seeking greener pastures.

7) Remember your kids will be the biggest beneficiary of you taking the risk.

Yes, we are planting our seeds now.. they will get to enjoy the harvest :wink:

3 cheers for our sons and sons.... Many good years ~

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
-enrolling kids in school,
Easy process.. Be kiasu and enrol the little ones when you obtained your 1st birth cert...

-assimilation
No issue. as long as you have adequate beer sessions. Do mix around and have diff perspectives.. It will be good if you speak with HK canto accent, M'sia Mandarin and Ozzie English.. Singlish ? forget it...

-handling neighbours
Easy.. refer to "Local Govt Act" for nuisance and noise, if you dont like them :wink: Confront & assertive and not be a coward..

-buying house
Location, location, location... don't be a fool by investing $1mil onto a cheap 100k land.. Land appreciates eh ? and building depreciates ? I rest my case..

-food, cuisine, cravings
Visit Melbourne for good food :smile: Problem solved.

-regrets, nostalgia etc
No regrets.. Special thanks to wifey for sudden change of decision.. finally relocated to melbourne.. and living happily down under..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think I will break the monotony and share some interesting observations. During my frequent travels, I was regaled with stories about ex-singaporeans and Malaysians stuck in time. To see it for myself, I asked to be invited to potluck gathering hosted by ex-singaporeans and malaysians. Here are my observations

1) Ever seen a singaporean/Malaysian middle aged female 70s hairdo. Well you cannot find it in Singapore but you sure can find it all over where Singaporeans have gone.

2) Clothing and attire - Even seen the type of sports jacket that old man, LHL and Philip Yeo like to wear. You can see ex-retirees from the civil serice and businessworld still wearing it.

3) Jeans - 70 and 80s jeans and amazingly the brand as well.

Apparently it is notable in some cases amongst those who migrated in the 70s and 80s and had kept to themselves and to the Singaporean and Malaysian Community. The kids however have adapted to the new culture.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Orrr.. there are so many uncles and aunties in the forum.. you have offended them.. your statement implies they are 'sua-ku', a liar, hence not fit to be in the office !! pls apologise, otherwise defamation suit will be coming your way !

Be afraid... be very very afraid.. heehee

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Important Courtesy of one of the forummers here who has checked with CMPB. Its appears to be 13 now and not 11. Looks like it has moved with the NRIC. Pity to those who were previously trapped between 11 and 13 and ended being liable. Ways of a bureaucracy!

Many thanks to the forummer who also provide the link. Much appreciated.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2006/jul/25jul06_nr2/25jul06_fs.html

"Q3. Why has MINDEF decided to shift the starting age for exit controls from age 11 to 13?

Currently, the starting age of exit controls is pegged at age 11, the age where Singaporeans used to be issued with NRICs. With Singaporeans now being issued NRICs at age 15, there is no longer a special reason to retain age 11 as the starting age for exit controls. MINDEF has therefore decided to set it at age 13, which is when students would have just started their secondary school education."

Seeking Clarification

Anyone out there who migrated with young boys using the new biometric passport can provide any details on when the age for NS liability begins. Previously using the old passport (not biometric passports) , validity stopped at 11 and thus indicating NS liability.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like you have come across them as well. By the way, the majority of uncles/aunties are pretty much wordly, just the few. I was told that some Malaysians still wear formal batok shirt which is now passe in Malaysia. Anyway, I am not implying anything, I am actually saying they are suaku. Thats life.

Forgot to write about the cars. Singaporeans from the 80s will buy Honda or Mercedes and apparently it has to do with the relatives and friends in Singapore for having made it. For those who left in the late 90s onwards its Toyota Camry and Mercedes.

As they say, if it is not "A" neighbourhood but got mercedes, got to be Singaporean/Malaysian.

Any other observations to add.

Orrr.. there are so many uncles and aunties in the forum.. you have offended them.. your statement implies they are 'sua-ku', a liar, hence not fit to be in the office !! pls apologise, otherwise defamation suit will be coming your way !

Be afraid... be very very afraid.. heehee

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Think I will break the monotony and share some interesting observations. During my frequent travels, I was regaled with stories about ex-singaporeans and Malaysians stuck in time. To see it for myself, I asked to be invited to potluck gathering hosted by ex-singaporeans and malaysians. Here are my observations

1) Ever seen a singaporean/Malaysian middle aged female 70s hairdo. Well you cannot find it in Singapore but you sure can find it all over where Singaporeans have gone.

2) Clothing and attire - Even seen the type of sports jacket that old man, LHL and Philip Yeo like to wear. You can see ex-retirees from the civil serice and businessworld still wearing it.

3) Jeans - 70 and 80s jeans and amazingly the brand as well.

Apparently it is notable in some cases amongst those who migrated in the 70s and 80s and had kept to themselves and to the Singaporean and Malaysian Community. The kids however have adapted to the new culture.

Not surprised.

In a way, we are stuck in a time warp. The Singapore we remember is the period when we left. Certain food cannot be found in Singapore anymore but can still be found here, like the panjang drink and mee rochore, etc. 1970s Katong style atmosphere in the house. The only difference is the Italian super automatic coffee maker and sandwich press. hahaha

Some people still have those old heavy teakwood furniture with tropical tree cravings that are no longer found in Singapore. I think.

And when we "return" to Singapore for a visit. Those new words and other new things are novel to us.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore is both familiar to us and strange to us. We do not feel the pressure in Singapore because we are just visitors. A lot of things have no permanence in Singapore anymore, like fashion, things come and go. Currently, I find the Jap cruisine rather popular now. Before that, there was the Korean influence.

When I saw T3 at Changi Airport, it was so close. Yea. Singapore seems to be very cram, feel damp and look mouldy and the whole place smell.
Singaporeans look fashionable whereas I feel like a country bumpkin. But it does not really bother me.

In the past, when I was still living in Singapore and met an Aussie who say he was a farmer, it felt strange. But now, I understand and I tend to be more chatty and feel uncomfortable at the close proximity Singaporeans talk. Perhaps in a country with wide open spaces, we feel more confortable at a distance.

The ex-Malaysians are still very "kampong" and slow - I call that enjoy life.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like you have come across them as well. By the way, the majority of uncles/aunties are pretty much wordly, just the few. I was told that some Malaysians still wear formal batok shirt which is now passe in Malaysia. Anyway, I am not implying anything, I am actually saying they are suaku. Thats life.

Forgot to write about the cars. Singaporeans from the 80s will buy Honda or Mercedes and apparently it has to do with the relatives and friends in Singapore for having made it. For those who left in the late 90s onwards its Toyota Camry and Mercedes.

As they say, if it is not "A" neighbourhood but got mercedes, got to be Singaporean/Malaysian.

Any other observations to add.

When i arrived, everyone telling me - it got to be honda or toyota car. After i reserach, i brought a Dodge Grand Caravan (Amercan). I look like an out cast ha ha ha. However, the reasons behind - you buy Jap cars = higher price = higher resale price but if you buy local car = lower price = lower resale value. My second car, is a chryer Aspen 5.7L oil guzzler - others think i am crazy . But me think, in rough road and winter country (5 months), better be safe than sorry. The price of car and fuel can be written off as I run my own biz. At the end of the day, do your SWOT - u will make the right decision for yourself.

Take every opinion and think if it is suitable for you.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Another point to benefit all future x singaporean to think about and discuss :

- which province or state to land? which city to stay (eg. moving after landing is expensive - sammy did it for 6 times wow)?
- looking for a job or start a biz ?
- Buy a house or rent one?

Lion_Barbell

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Another point to benefit all future x singaporean to think about and discuss :

- which province or state to land? which city to stay (eg. moving after landing is expensive - sammy did it for 6 times wow)?
- looking for a job or start a biz ?
- Buy a house or rent one?

Got your PM :smile: Thanks ! :biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
You helped Singaporean, yet you said their suaku or hate them... why ah ?

Leave them alone and let them struggle.. Setbacks are part of the pre-requisite, towards a successful life.. Some are afraid to confront problems, many choose to avoid it by "over planning".. So are we planning to fail ? or fail to plan... The more we plan, the longer the delays and the lesser the chance.. I honestly dont believe majority will leave unless, they are given the family and frz' support, approvals and consents..

Some of us are just different . Never encourage the "followers" to take the lead.. If they do, they will be stuck with problems (not knowing how to solve it) and put the blame on everyone but themselves..

Accept the world is not always fair.. accept the strength as well as the weaknesses..

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
rean to think about and discuss :

You have to remember that I was moving from place to place during one of the biggest boom periods in OZ history. :wink: Moving didn't cost me a thing. In fact, I made a pile. :p That's one of the reasons why I moved in the first place. If you don't move, you can't cash out.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, good post. Katong was great during those days. Yes, the coffeemaker seems to take pride of place.

Talking about furniture, I recall a migrant telling a story about it in a post in the old SBF. When they first moved, after 2 weeks it hit them badly and the spouse began to cry and wanted to return. Then the furniture was cleared by customs and it felt like home again. It made so much of a difference that they always recommend to bring over the furniture to have a link until they finally settle down. I thought it was good point. Those who migrated in the 70s and 80s have solid teak furniture, priceless.

Not surprised.

In a way, we are stuck in a time warp. The Singapore we remember is the period when we left. Certain food cannot be found in Singapore anymore but can still be found here, like the panjang drink and mee rochore, etc. 1970s Katong style atmosphere in the house. The only difference is the Italian super automatic coffee maker and sandwich press. hahaha

Some people still have those old heavy teakwood furniture with tropical tree cravings that are no longer found in Singapore. I think.

And when we "return" to Singapore for a visit. Those new words and other new things are novel to us.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have to remember that I was moving from place to place during one of the biggest boom periods in OZ history. :wink: Moving didn't cost me a thing. In fact, I made a pile. :p That's one of the reasons why I moved in the first place. If you don't move, you can't cash out.

@#$%^&*!@#$%^&.. it cost me 3k to move from Brisbane to Mel (no relocation package)..

But the offer gave me heaps more.. heehee..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, they seem to know how to appreciate life. Met them in London, Perth, Melbourne etc. Some of the best brains left in the 70s due to the language issue and they were well qualified. Many of them did their uni in Singapore and know the local powerbrokers well. Some of the best intelligent during dinner are with them. Malaysia lost alot of good people then.

The ex-Malaysians are still very "kampong" and slow - I call that enjoy life.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are certainly some great deals out there. A friend of mine stays in Toorak, Melbourne and he asked around and bought a Landrover to keep in line with neighbourhood. His wife thinks its the best decision to make as it immediately broke the ice with local ladies when they meet as the kids are dropped off or picked in schools. She told me it has to be a landrover, toyota 4 wheel or Mercs 4 wheel. Its seems the locals associate Mercedes and Honda sedan with HK, Singapore Chinese who can't speak English. They also assume that she came from the UK. The husband told me he should have researched further and bought the Mercs 4 wheeler as it kills 2 birds with one stone - satisfying the people back home.

I suppose "when in Rome" thing applies.

When i arrived, everyone telling me - it got to be honda or toyota car. After i reserach, i brought a Dodge Grand Caravan (Amercan). I look like an out cast ha ha ha.