• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Difference between soya chicken rice and Hainanese chicken rice

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Big difference the taste. You want know the how, this not the right place sir! Chat up the stall helpers instead lah, goondu! :rolleyes:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
while hainanese chicken and lice recipes are well known, soy sauce chicken recipe is sparse. this one is authentic as it uses raw ingredients from scratch. who would have thought you need rock sugar in the recipe, but it is critical as it caramelizes both the sauce and chicken and gives it a "sweeter" taste. the cook is also knowledgeable about keeping the head during boiling process to prevent skin from shrinking and falling apart as a cut in skin will sexpose it to fraying. all these tiny but important details, must learn by practice.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Big difference, Hainanese chicken rice costs $3.00, Soya sauce chicken rice minimum $3.50....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Big difference, Hainanese chicken rice costs $3.00, Soya sauce chicken rice minimum $3.50....

I have grown up eating the soya sauce Chicken with rice or noodle at Upper Cross Street since young. They closed down, somewhere in the late 80's & early 90's...but recent years, resurrected. There are now two of them, one at the original coffee shop & one few doors down the road & TWO CLAIMING TO BE THE ORGINAL. I have eaten at both...can't tell the difference...the Chicken rice or noodle cost $4..add ons will cost more.

My question is...over the years I never noticed the name of the shop...all I know was to eat from the stall at the coffee shop...WHO IS THE REAL MCCOY? since both claiming to be the REAL THING?? anyone?

Hainanese Chicken Rice is different from the "yao gai' fan...Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & very different from the HALAL Muslim version of the Chicken rice..Same Chicken, cook differently, one prayed over..ha ha ha

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have grown up eating the soya sauce Chicken with rice or noodle at Upper Cross Street since young. They closed down, somewhere in the late 80's & early 90's...but recent years, resurrected. There are now two of them, one at the original coffee shop & one few doors down the road & TWO CLAIMING TO BE THE ORGINAL. I have eaten at both...can't tell the difference...the Chicken rice or noodle cost $4..add ons will cost more.

My question is...over the years I never noticed the name of the shop...all I know was to eat from the stall at the coffee shop...WHO IS THE REAL MCCOY? since both claiming to be the REAL THING?? anyone?

Hainanese Chicken Rice is different from the "yao gai' fan...Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & very different from the HALAL Muslim version of the Chicken rice..Same Chicken, cook differently, one prayed over..ha ha ha
There is one more at whampoa..

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I prefer roasted chicken to boiled chicken.
The roasted chicken at the Hawkers isn’t exactly roasted. Its process is akin to being fried.
Real roasted chicken go to the Chinese canton restaurants. Eat with spiced salt. That’s real roasted chicken

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apart from the soya sauce, is there any significant difference in the taste or the way in which the chicken is cooked ?

yes. but Hawker Chan is still the best.
now from Singapore to London and very soon to New York.

i just want to know how Ah Chan make the Chicken piece ( see pic below) white and firm and hard ( not soft) nice to chew on ??? :thumbsup:

IMG_20190113_103534.jpg

IMG_20190113_103738.jpg

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hawker Chan is overrated.
When he first started out he was known more for value for money than forgood tasting food.

I dun find the taste have changed

Last edited:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Whenever i am over at KL, never fail to patronise this particular Hainanese Halal chicken rice along Bt Bintang. Abit expensive but sedap.

1547363707334.png