• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Depressing To Be Left In JB Nursing Homes

sgnewsalte

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,192990,00.html?

Depressing to be left in JB nursing homes

By Brian Miller
February 16, 2009

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_BMBUZZt.jpg

THERE is this patch of grass near where I live. It's where a group of old-timers gather for their twice or thrice-weekly game of gateball.

The youngest among them has got to be about 65. Retired. Probably on a pension.

I told the wife, if she ever caught me hitting a wooden ball with a mallet, she should shoot me.

It's not that I want a hole in the head. It's just that, the day I take up gateball will be the day I concede that I'm old. And, believe me, that's scary.

No bull. People like us, who still listen to Cliff Richard and Skeeter Davis, we worry about growing old.

It scares us and we hope that when 'the time comes' we won't be put out to pasture in some foreign land just because it's cheaper.

Because of rising costs, Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan suggested that old folks be put up in nursing homes in Johor Baru.

He meant well and he reasoned: 'Quite a significant number visit (their old folks) only during weekends. So what is the difference in putting them up in JB?'

Well, there's a difference.

Take my parents. They are two 'old folks', well into their 80s, closer to 90. They live by themselves in Bukit Timah. They're nearer to JB than they are to us who live in the eastern part of Singapore.

We visit regularly for lunch and a chit-chat. And when we leave, there's no weeping and gnashing of teeth. They know we're 'only in Siglap'. I guess that's comforting.

If they were in a 'home' in JB, it'll be like we're leaving them in another country. And that, I reckon, could be depressing.

Another country is never 'near enough'. It's different when we take leisurely drives 'up north'. The folks like it. Different scenery. Different food. Different pace.

But having to live there, alone, that's another story.

I have friends who, when their pets become old, sick and difficult to manage, send them to some farm in JB to live out the rest of their lives. They tell me it's the 'merciful' thing to do. They say it is more comfortable and their dog or cat will be much happier.

I don't think so. For want of a better word, I'd say it's cruel. You shouldn't do that to a pet. And you don't do that to the people you love.

Already the word 'nursing home' brings on the shivers. It conjures up images of old codgers, wheezing, wheelchairs, weak bowels. Adult diapers? Ahhhh!

Now, imagine being sent to a nursing home or retirement village in another country - even if it's 'just across the Causeway' and even if the diapers come cheaper by the dozen. Now, that's doubly depressing.

I asked my teenage son if he would ever put good ol' dad in a nursing home outside Singapore if it meant saving some money? Bless his heart, he said no.

I believe him. But, what if?

Well, I told him exactly what I told the wife.

Shoot me first.

You see, growing old is scary. Being institutionalised in a foreign country is, well, chilling - as in cold-hearted. I wouldn't let it happen to my pets. I certainly wouldn't let it happen to my old folks.

And I hope to God it doesn't happen to me.

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
I asked my teenage son if he would ever put good ol' dad in a nursing home outside Singapore if it meant saving some money? Bless his heart, he said no.

I believe him. But, what if?

Well, I told him exactly what I told the wife.

Shoot me first.

"Shoot me first." That will accomplish KBW's scheme. He also plans to institutionalize euthanasia.

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is the role of the govt to keep medical costs in S'pore to be affordable to the mass population. If the govt cannot achieve this, it means the govt is either inefficient or incapable. Suggesting to put S'poreans in JB nursing home is not the way to push responsibility. It is equally disgusting & disheartening to hear such comments from our Health Minister. :mad:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brian Miller's article is good. I hope the Khaw gets the picture. Imagine Brian even mentions that it is even cruel for dogs.

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is the role of the govt to keep medical costs in S'pore to be affordable to the mass population. If the govt cannot achieve this, it means the govt is either inefficient or incapable. Suggesting to put S'poreans in JB nursing home is not the way to push responsibility. It is equally disgusting & disheartening to hear such comments from our Health Minister. :mad:

And how much are we paying this joker? :mad:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

how true..

its like eg ah cow is now managing a supermarket.. if some1 complain to him his things expensive, he told them to f.o. and to to buy in malaysia??

like that also can..:oIo: ah cow.. isn't it his responsiblity to try to lower his cost.. CCB we pay this type of tuk tuk ppl millions for fuck??

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Being institutionalised in a foreign country is, well, chilling - as in cold-hearted. I wouldn't let it happen to my pets. I certainly wouldn't let it happen to my old folks.

And I hope to God it doesn't happen to me.

probly, sum1 wil b remembered as a cold-hearted minister? ...

纵不能留芳千古,亦要遗臭万年? ...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
probly, sum1 wil b remembered as a cold-hearted minister? ...

纵不能留芳千古,亦要遗臭万年? ...

I don't know what the hell you guys are on about!:rolleyes: Just because the govt is considering setting up retirement homes in JB does not mean that Sinkies are forced to deposit their old folk there!:eek:

If the scheme works and the JB nursing homes become a reality, then any old fart that gets dumped there has met this cruel fate because his family make a conscious decision to do so or because he was abandoned by his children and left in the care of the state.

One can hardly blame the excellent PAP govt for choices made by unfilial sinkies. The govt merely provides options. Family members themselves make the decisions.

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
if the government don't provide this cruel option then the family cannot choose it right?

this government is getting heartless and cruel....

they see money more important than their own pple.....

I don't know what the hell you guys are on about!:rolleyes: Just because the govt is considering setting up retirement homes in JB does not mean that Sinkies are forced to deposit their old folk there!:eek:

If the scheme works and the JB nursing homes become a reality, then any old fart that gets dumped there has met this cruel fate because his family make a conscious decision to do so or because he was abandoned by his children and left in the care of the state.

One can hardly blame the excellent PAP govt for choices made by unfilial sinkies. The govt merely provides options. Family members themselves make the decisions.

chobolann

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our ministers and MPs should send some of their own elderly parents and relatives to the new nursing home in JB to show us peasants how pleasant the environment it is and how convenient it is to visit them. i task them to lead by example. Walk the talk Mr Khaw.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
if the government don't provide this cruel option then the family cannot choose it right?

this government is getting heartless and cruel....

they see money more important than their own pple.....

That's a bloody copout! Life is all about making choices and people are personally responsible for the choices they make.

The govt allows alcohol to be sold but if you're freakin' dumb enough to drink and drive and you end up killing yourself or your loved ones, are you telling me it's the govt's fault too? :oIo:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Just because the govt is considering setting up retirement homes in JB does not mean that Sinkies are forced to deposit their old folk there!:eek:

If the scheme works and the JB nursing homes become a reality, then any old fart that gets dumped there has met this cruel fate because his family make a conscious decision to do so or because he was abandoned by his children and left in the care of the state. ...

ofcos, u dun hv 2 deposit ur o folks in jb ... u can oso do dat in sg ...

but 1st, u got moni 2 pay 4 our world-crass, world no 1, catered-oni-4-ze-rich facilities anot? ...

if u dun hv, our world-crass, world no 1, v-cater-oni-4-ze-rich facilitise is not 4 u ... f**k off 2 cheaper 1s in jb ...

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you are old, be more religious and kinder than you were.

Don't be like all these stupid useless bastard fuck forummers here.

Useless bastard fucks really.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brian Miller's article is good. I hope the Khaw gets the picture. Imagine Brian even mentions that it is even cruel for dogs.

i am surprised our locals can't even write a simple article like this.....

we can onli report what the top says...like a robot...

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal

sam, fuck you!:oIo: better mind wat u wrote. ur view is simply souless!:oIo::oIo::oIo:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am surprised our locals can't even write a simple article like this.....

we can onli report what the top says...like a robot...
Actually Brian is a Eurasian, true blooded Singaporean and was schooled in SJI

Unforunately New Paper under SPH decided to become a footy newspaper and nationalo enqurier trashy kind of sensationalism journalism.

Brian used to write good article when the paper was much better About 20 years ago.

TedDibiase

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wa lao eh. same if mah bow tan suggest u go JB stay cos house too ex? how? do ns for wat zzzz

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If the govt has this type of attitude towards Singaporean, they should not blame Singaporean for throwing lighted thinner at them.