• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China-savvy civil servants

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_408210.html

Ten get PSC's new China scholarship; work stints in China for govt employees
By Goh Chin Lian, Senior Political Correspondent

china-st.jpg

Scholarship recipient Tseng Xin Ying (left), who will be studying at Peking University, with PM Lee and PSC Secretary Goh Soon Poh after the awards ceremony at the Shangri-La hotel on Saturday. -- PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN

MISS Tan Bao Jia has stayed with a family in Nanjing and sat for a language examination in Sichuan.

She tasted these intimate slices of life in China as a student in Dunman High's bicultural programme.

For the next four years, Miss Tan, 19, will experience vastly more of China as an economics undergraduate at Peking University.

On Saturday, the young Singaporean was one of 10 winners of the Public Service Commission's (PSC) new China scholarship. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said at the PSC scholarship awards ceremony that Singapore must send more scholars to China who can then better understand the Chinese world.

He also announced a new overseas development programme to nurture China-savvy public servants. This allows fresh school leavers and mid-career professionals to work for three to nine months in Singapore government offices in China or companies there.

They will return to do China-related work in the public service. The focus on China is a recognition of its influence in the world and its relevance to Singapore, said the Prime Minister.

Bilateral ties are strong. Many Singapore companies operate all over the country.

Mr Lee said: 'We need people who can understand the Chinese...be comfortable in their milieu, be able to read how they think, how they act.' These public servants should know some people in China personally and tap these ties for 'mutual benefit', he added.

While the PSC has sent scholars to China since 1993, the numbers have been small. But the effort to build bicultural and bilingual talent in secondary schools has been successful, noted Mr Lee.

Eight of the 10 China scholars rose from these programmes. The 10 will spend four years as undergraduates in China, then pursue a master's degree anywhere in the world for two years.

Read the full story in The Sunday Times.

[email protected]

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
they will bring back china civil servant habits - guanxi, kopi money, embezzlement, fraud at a level singy never seen before

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
somehow, I wonder if I am a scholar offered that, am I being shortchanged? A fucking western education is easily worth 250k to 500k for each scholar, yet going to China maybe 100-200k. same bond and everything, what's the fucking point?

somemore got and breathe the polluted air, eat contaminated food. at the end of the day, the ah tiongs also looked down on you cos not from Harvard or MIT. So what if you "know their culture"? Might as go west for the top grade education where the top ah tiongs are there.

Can work in China. No need to study there

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
somehow, I wonder if I am a scholar offered that, am I being shortchanged? A fucking western education is easily worth 250k to 500k for each scholar, yet going to China maybe 100-200k. same bond and everything, what's the fucking point?

somemore got and breathe the polluted air, eat contaminated food. at the end of the day, the ah tiongs also looked down on you cos not from Harvard or MIT. So what if you "know their culture"? Might as go west for the top grade education where the top ah tiongs are there.

Why not, no need to study get cert. Can fuck PRC mei mei all you want, think of biz strategy, get personal connections. Brain and thinking not required working for the PAP. You can rot in the role with PAP bugging you. You learn how to do everything illegally. Excellent. Can help PRC leaders park money in Singapore banks. It is a winner post for people who are really not interested in studies but the Imperial court scholar position, which Singapore scholarships ultimately are. The Singapore Imperial Scholarship sets you apart from the rest of the peasants. And China accords the environment to enjoy that difference.

cowbehcowbu

Alfrescian
Loyal
You beat me to it. Plus PRC spouses.
There are many sinkies who went to china to work,,after a couple of years staying in china...guess what?they gradually, unknown to themself, they start to think like them, act like them, EVEN THEIR VALUES CHANGES TO BE MORE LIKE THEM!!!!!!!!..shocking.no..almost all the friends I know became like that......
I hope PM loong knows that there is very little to learn from the PRC system...they still ruled by personal influence .,NOT RULES OR LAWS...
what PM loong should do is to send short stint of civil servant to study some of their policies in social wellfare,, protections and assistance to the common lower income groups.
For anyone who has been to their hospital,,courts..police stations....sinkies will faint right away..if not choked by hilarious issues..or shocked to death by how appaling their system can be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In their public hospitals,,the patient has to keep the patient records,, hold it and run from one department to another..of course, bring home as well....their doctors attend to patient in cubicles which are equipped as worst than singapore 30 years ago...WITHOUT ANY NURSE to assist and attend to patients in the doctors cubicles[ no rooms]....everyone give angbao to the surgeons before operations...make sure your life is safe!!!...western medicines is even 3 to 4 times to that of singapore!!as the drug co had to pay few hundred to 1000% of markup to cover corrupted hospital ceos and doctors!!!!!!!!!
these civil servants will be shocked to death when they start to see and discover their system!!!!!!!!!!

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are many sinkies who went to china to work,,after a couple of years staying in china...guess what?they gradually, unknown to themself, they start to think like them, act like them, EVEN THEIR VALUES CHANGES TO BE MORE LIKE THEM!!!!!!!!..shocking.no..almost all the friends I know became like that......
I hope PM loong knows that there is very little to learn from the PRC system...they still ruled by personal influence .,NOT RULES OR LAWS...
what PM loong should do is to send short stint of civil servant to study some of their policies in social wellfare,, protections and assistance to the common lower income groups.
For anyone who has been to their hospital,,courts..police stations....sinkies will faint right away..if not choked by hilarious issues..or shocked to death by how appaling their system can be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In their public hospitals,,the patient has to keep the patient records,, hold it and run from one department to another..of course, bring home as well....their doctors attend to patient in cubicles which are equipped as worst than singapore 30 years ago...WITHOUT ANY NURSE to assist and attend to patients in the doctors cubicles[ no rooms]....everyone give angbao to the surgeons before operations...make sure your life is safe!!!...western medicines is even 3 to 4 times to that of singapore!!as the drug co had to pay few hundred to 1000% of markup to cover corrupted hospital ceos and doctors!!!!!!!!!
these civil servants will be shocked to death when they start to see and discover their system!!!!!!!!!!

近朱者赤近墨者黑

Was there for quite a while. Same reason because I felt I was changing into a way I did not like I left. I refused to go to the States because I knew it could easily change a person into a big bastard lying loudly for that little bit of pride. But in China, you become a big bastard, kill and step on anyone in your way, lie in anyway necessary as that is the norm there. Vitamin C when I was there was like 50 tablets for 500mg if you are lucky. If you go India and China, behaving animal with no conscience is the norm. Do not let all the loud shouting of moralistic words nor exuberance trick you. 95% of the people are like that. Even for the really good PRCs, it is very difficult for them to act like an animal and revert to human all the time.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
western education! 40 years after independence and you still want to go down on the white man, you are typical Pinkerton singaporean

what they do with the western education, bankrupt the global economy and send millions into unemployment with structured financial products, liar loans, toxic mortgages

please lah stop fucking worshipping the west you ah gua

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal

The really smart PRC scholars are all getting out of the country or joining MNCs where how far thry can go is based on meritocracy, not "Guanxi" or their family background.

So why are we sending our scholars there to study in their university and be like them?

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are absolutely right. I got a culture shock too when I first came to China some 2 plus years back, esp when I first visited their hospital. And mind you, that was one of the best hospitals in Beijing, not some sub-standard ones in 2nd tier cities. That common flu cost me some RMB300 and the doc prescibe a full plastic bag of medicines which are absolutely useless. Diff medicines from diff manufacturers are tagged to diff docs and the docs get "rebates" when the hospital order these medicines, which is why they always prescribe lots of medicine and and make you go thru all those lab tests "according to procedures". And if you don't give Angbao or give too little before the operation, be prepared to have a nasty scar or some rubbish left behind in your body so that you will rememeber the "right procedures" the next time.

You are also right on becoming like them after working for a few years. I discovered that I'm also slowly becoming one of them and I've got a few Singapore colleagues here who have left because they absolutely cannot stand it anymore. China is a big market and it certainly offers more opportunities than back home but its a tough market and its not for everyone. As the saying goes, when in Rome, be like the romans so you either adapt or leave.

The Chinese system is a very complex system which even their own people find it very difficult to correct/unwind. Its not something that is found in the text book or you can learn in universities. If it is, then those counless PRC scholars will be very China-savvy, but the fact is that they are not and they even have problems finding jobs. The recent statistics show that 3/4 of the jobs in the market still goes to those with "Guanxi".

So it will be too simplistic to expect scholars to be China-savvy after 4 years in their top uni or worst still expect civil servants to do that with just 3-9 months in govt agencies. Even PRC won't be able to do that so why do they expect Singapore scholars who have grown up in a totally sterialised system to be able to do that?

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
western education! 40 years after independence and you still want to go down on the white man, you are typical Pinkerton singaporean

what they do with the western education, bankrupt the global economy and send millions into unemployment with structured financial products, liar loans, toxic mortgages

please lah stop fucking worshipping the west you ah gua

Oh please stop, you idiot!

As another bro states very clearly, the PRCs themselves are running away to the West for their education. If you had a proper varsity education, you would realise that the professors are just 50% of the deal in an university, your fellow students are just as important.

The American economy might be screwed up and their institutions might eventually be overtaken by the Eastern institutions but they are the best at the moment with the most funds, the best professors and the best students from all over the world vying to be in.

As a scholar, why should I be sent to China because my new employer told me so? Do you seriously think that those who went are the best? I think they are likely to be the second best students in the PSC cohort. I would reject this type of scholarship.

As for being a pinkerton worshipper, I leave it to the rest to judge. I am sure you use Samsung handphone, drive Cherry car and wear only Giordano clothes.

You are an idiot for not being able to separate the wheat from chaff.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
virtually everything is made in China

Even your iPhone is made by Foxconn in China

Pinkerton Singapore love paying premium for brand, when China's brand even better at 20% of price with 2-sim card plus TV reception

iPhone iPod all these stupid nonsense, but Pinkerton syndrome Singaporeans love it, queue up overnight, bloody clowns.

Western values make character weak - no caning of child, always praise them whatever, teenage drug and sex problems, they grow up to be arrogant pricks and screw ther fellow men

Look at the banking crisis and the corrupt system, look at UK with the MP scandal - virtually everyone stealing public money for expenses

Wake up, Western values are bad

Oh please stop, you idiot!

As another bro states very clearly, the PRCs themselves are running away to the West for their education. If you had a proper varsity education, you would realise that the professors are just 50% of the deal in an university, your fellow students are just as important.

The American economy might be screwed up and their institutions might eventually be overtaken by the Eastern institutions but they are the best at the moment with the most funds, the best professors and the best students from all over the world vying to be in.

As a scholar, why should I be sent to China because my new employer told me so? Do you seriously think that those who went are the best? I think they are likely to be the second best students in the PSC cohort. I would reject this type of scholarship.

As for being a pinkerton worshipper, I leave it to the rest to judge. I am sure you use Samsung handphone, drive Cherry car and wear only Giordano clothes.

You are an idiot for not being able to separate the wheat from chaff.

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I love made in China Sichuan cock sucking sluts especially those that suck taxi drivers cocks! Correct or not SAFGU guard dog!.....lol....lol

cowbehcowbu

Alfrescian
Loyal
very puzzled why PM loong got this ideas to sent our civil servant to learn and establish GUANXI...in china....is our foreign service giving the CORRECT information ?????????
suggest conduct reviews and discoveries PRIVATELY[ IE not to alert them it is a forign gov officials]..of the hospitals..courts. police..banks..regulatory bodies....
very sure..our gobmen will have ythe shocks of their life..HA HA HA HA ..........

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkie scholars don't know how to give under-table bribe and cham siong.

To advance in PRC u need both. So Sinkies must be sent to school to learn.

That's how things work...

very puzzled why PM loong got this ideas to sent our civil servant to learn and establish GUANXI...in china....is our foreign service giving the CORRECT information ?????????
suggest conduct reviews and discoveries PRIVATELY[ IE not to alert them it is a forign gov officials]..of the hospitals..courts. police..banks..regulatory bodies....
very sure..our gobmen will have ythe shocks of their life..HA HA HA HA ..........

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wow you are right, man! Why should I settle for Ah Tiong? With a western education, you can take the degree and go places, with Ah Tiong education, I rather stay at home.

huahero

Alfrescian
Loyal
After so many years of ignoring local Chinese elites, closing of Nan Da, discouraging of Chinese Culture revolution, THEY called in "Communism". Now Singapore government wants to embrace Chinese culture talk about GuanXi!

Many Chinese scholars/students are marginalized, it is just too bad they had to struggle for survival during the early settling years of Singapore Nation building. 当时新加坡南大学生的苦,没人了解!

南洋大学自创立到关闭,为适应主、客观环境而进行广泛的改革.使南洋大学由一间私立、仿美国学制的华文大学,逐步改变成由政府资助,乃至由政府监控、依英国学制而塑造的英文大学.在改革的过程中,新加坡政府所扮演的角色,逐次加重,并一步步导致南大"必须"关闭的境地,终使南大的关闭成为不可避免的结果.

"Nanyang" in Chinese means "south of the ocean" or "south seas", a reference for the Southeast Asian region. Back in the earlier days of 1940s and 50s, many Chinese from mainland China ventured south to seek their fortunes in new lands. Malaya (Singapore and Malaysia) was then known as "Nanyang" to the Chinese.

After World War II, the Chinese found it difficult to attend higher education in the Nanyang area. The people decided to start a university in Singapore, a university that can provide tertiary education in Chinese in the region. The idea of establishing a Chinese university was first mooted by Mr Tan Lark Sye on 16 January 1953 at the Executive Committee and Supervisory Committee of the Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan.

On 23 March 1953, the Hokkien Huay Kuan, under Mr Tan's leadership, donated 523 acres of land for the university. Mr Tan himself donated $5 million. His call for the establishment of the Chinese university received enthusiastic support from Chinese communities all over Southeast Asia. People from all walks of life rallied for the cause. It was a very cohesive effort by the entire Chinese community in the land.

In 1955 a pre-university class was started to prepare students for entry into the new university.

The first batch of 584 students was admitted in 15 March 1956. There were three faculties: Arts, Science and Commerce. Research activities were started as early as in 1957. The first batch of 437 graduates was produced in 1959. Seven years later in 1963, the student enrolment reached 2,324. In 1964, the university, for the first time in her history, received the same financial grant as the then University of Singapore from the government. In the same year, the Nanyang University Alumni was formed.

Nanyang University was affectionately known as 南大 (Nan Da) in Chinese; and NTU also adopted the same Chinese name in the mid 1990s.

Many of the Nanyang University graduates are outstanding in many fields: academic, research, business and public service, both in Singapore and overseas.

The famous main gate of Nanyang University which is a landmark till this day.

In 1980, the Nanyang University and the University of Singapore were merged to form the National University of Singapore. This closed the chapter on the NU history. In 1981 the Nanyang Technological Institute (NTI) was instituted in the same grounds as the illustrious Nanyang University.

cowbehcowbu

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_408210.html

Ten get PSC's new China scholarship; work stints in China for govt employees
By Goh Chin Lian, Senior Political Correspondent

china-st.jpg

Scholarship recipient Tseng Xin Ying (left), who will be studying at Peking University, with PM Lee and PSC Secretary Goh Soon Poh after the awards ceremony at the Shangri-La hotel on Saturday. -- PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN

MISS Tan Bao Jia has stayed with a family in Nanjing and sat for a language examination in Sichuan.

She tasted these intimate slices of life in China as a student in Dunman High's bicultural programme.

For the next four years, Miss Tan, 19, will experience vastly more of China as an economics undergraduate at Peking University.

On Saturday, the young Singaporean was one of 10 winners of the Public Service Commission's (PSC) new China scholarship. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said at the PSC scholarship awards ceremony that Singapore must send more scholars to China who can then better understand the Chinese world.

He also announced a new overseas development programme to nurture China-savvy public servants. This allows fresh school leavers and mid-career professionals to work for three to nine months in Singapore government offices in China or companies there.

They will return to do China-related work in the public service. The focus on China is a recognition of its influence in the world and its relevance to Singapore, said the Prime Minister.

Bilateral ties are strong. Many Singapore companies operate all over the country.

Mr Lee said: 'We need people who can understand the Chinese...be comfortable in their milieu, be able to read how they think, how they act.' These public servants should know some people in China personally and tap these ties for 'mutual benefit', he added.

While the PSC has sent scholars to China since 1993, the numbers have been small. But the effort to build bicultural and bilingual talent in secondary schools has been successful, noted Mr Lee.

Eight of the 10 China scholars rose from these programmes. The 10 will spend four years as undergraduates in China, then pursue a master's degree anywhere in the world for two years.

Read the full story in The Sunday Times.

[email protected]
JUST 2 VERY ENLIGHTENIBG EXAMPLES
1] IN MOST OF THEIR HOSPITALS..THEY HAVE OFFICIAL PANELS ALL OVER THE WALL STATING AND ALARMING THE PUBLIC NOT TO GO FOR THOSE BOASTFUL PRIVATE HOSPITALS ..ALLEGING THAT THE DOCTORS IN THOSE PTE HOSPITALS MAY BE OF VERY LOW MEDICAL STANDARDS WHILE GIVING EMPTY AND UNTRUE PROMISE TO CURE...AND WILL CHARGE EXHORBITANTLY FOR MEDICINES AND TREATMENT!!!!!!!WHILE THESE PUBLIC HOSPITALS ARE GIVING TERRIBLE SERVICE AND CHARGING EXHORBITANTLY FOR DRUGS[ SERIOUS CORRUPTIONS IN PURCHASE OF DRUGS AND EQUIPMENTS].....

2] THERE ARE Also banners and open warning in the courts that warm public not to communicates with the judges via the lawyers before and during trials!!!!!!!!!!can you imagine what is going on !!!!!!!!!!!!!

China was almost destroyed by the Marxism and Communism...they are in this long process of healing!!!!!!!!!IF not for the very deep rooted several thousands years of chinese cultures.....any other counties will have gone bust and under long ago........

President HU himself had to issue 8 edicts on right behavior and honorable acts..which are and can be easily summarise in 4 chinese words..LI YEE LIANG ZHI.....which we all learn in our primary schools .....also there are many talk shows that elaborate on the teachings of Confucius. Menzi, Hanzi,.etc.......
so..what can singapore learn from PRC now??????their courts..hospitals..gov agencies is still a mix of communism, and feudalism rigged with serious corruptions and nepotism...

maybe their devotion to look after the poor and under-privilege is something we can reviewed and learn somethings...

cunnosieur

Alfrescian
Loyal
THINK LIKE THEM...

img-6033-2.jpg

THE BREASTS OF TIMES

By May Yip. The Straits Times Publication Date: 20-04-2006

Cleavages are bustin' out all over Singapore, it seems. Take the recent Miss Singapore Universe pageant. From tabloids to blogs, eye-catching bust-lines were what made headlines, with water-cooler talk revolving around the generous cup sizes of this year's winner.

Miss Singapore Universe

And on a daily basis, images of cleavages juggle - or should that be jiggle - for the attention of passers-by on billboard ads, covers of magazines and on the small screen.

Not that straight men with healthy libidos are complaining, but you would be excused for thinking that once-conservative Singapore is turning into one breast-obsessed nation.

"I thought this year's Miss Singapore Universe (Carol Cheong) won because of her boobs," says Joshua-Uriel Leong, a banker from BOC in his 30s who admits that he is a "boob man" and is drawn to a woman's breasts ahead of her other physical attributes.

And "Yes, yes, yes - size does matter", he adds.

According to Doy Teo, director of the Singapore operations of lingerie brand Triumph International, the number of women going up to a bigger C cup has surged from about 10 per cent a decade ago to 18 per cent.

The lingerie industry here is estimated to be worth S$100 million (US$62.58 million), says Teo. The brand now even carries a line of fuller-figure F-cup bras, and these whoppers have been enjoying brisk sales.

Another favourite among shoppers here is the push-up bra. Foong Yen, a spokesman for home-grown lingerie brand Ero, says 70 per cent of sales come from its Skin.Cool range of push-up bras.

As boob "authority" Jeffrey Chung notes: "The first things guys notice about girls are breasts. Instead of keeping them in, the media might as well capitalise on them."

He ought to know - he is the model agency owner who made headlines by marketing three D-cup models as the Singapore D-Cup Show Girls.

And the media has certainly wholeheartedly embraced this icon of femininity, from publications devoted to lad culture such as Maxim, featuring scantily clad women on and between its covers, to the popularity of models willing to display more decolletage.

There is also no shortage of cleavage on big and small screens too, such as Uma Thurman's bountiful bosom in The Producers or on the now-ended MTV reality series, Newlyweds, starring Jessica Simpson and her perfect double Ds.

This show of skin has even migrated from the reel world to reality, with a whole generation of young women flaunting their seemingly blossoming assets in tube tops and barely-there halters.

"Boobs are the reason men wake up in the morning and the source of comfort as they lie in bed with their ladies at night," says Joshua-Uriel Leong. "The ideal breast size should be big enough for you to notice, but not of the size that you end up talking to them instead."

However, not all males are breast men. "Of course men like bigger boobs in general but it's not really a deal-breaker unless she's awkward about it," says a 27-year-old lawyer who also declined to be named. "But if she was sensual and comfortable, then I'll be happy."

Cleavages are also not the first thing that gets Chung's attention when auditioning a model.

"You'll be shocked but I'll actually look at the smile first," says Chung. "When I look at a girl who wants to be a model, I want to see a smiling face because that is what makes everyone happy."

Ironically, women are the ones who are less accepting of their own body shape.

"I'm not unsatisfied but I could be happier," says a B-cup, 26-year-old woman, who estimates that half her bra collection is of the bust-boosting push-up variety.

"Certain tops favour those better endowed in the cleavage department and it sucks having to restrict myself from wearing certain pieces just because you're not blessed with a big bust."

Women tend to perceive their own breasts as smaller than an ideal breast size, and a great deal smaller than the size they think preferred by men.

"I'd say a full B," says one 26-year-old woman in the sales industry, when asked about her ideal bra size.

"But the ideal size to men? The bigger the better - how about a double D?"

So it's no surprise that Triumph has sold five million push-up bras - the famous Maximizer - in Asia since its launch, and that 90 per cent of the brand's range have padded cups.

The lawyer who spoke of deal-breaking boobs declares: "I don't think there's a need for a boob job as long as she's happy and comfortable with herself."

But try telling that to the millions of women, prodding and stuffing their bosoms to fulfil their ideal of buxomy beauty. If not the cups of bras, then at least the coffers of plastic surgeons, breast beauticians and push-up bra-makers are guaranteed to be filled to the brim.