• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China cancels visa restriction on bald visitors

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's nothing wrong with 2 questions in a single sentence.

However, the correct sentence is "Can you guess who he is?". and NOT "Can you guess who is he?".

PS: The word "guess" can be both a verb or a noun depending on how it is used within a sentence.

That's a good guess. (noun)
Guess who's coming to dinner? (verb)

This is interesting.

So which of the 2 sentences below is correct?

1. Can you guess who is correct?
2. Can you guess who correct is?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This is interesting.

So which of the 2 sentences below is correct?

1. Can you guess who is correct?
2. Can you guess who correct is?

1. That's because "correct" used in this context is an adjective.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
a) Do you know what is his name? This can be abbreviated to "What is his name?"

b) Do you know what his name is?

Think both are correct if you ask for the name.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
a) Do you know what is his name? This can be abbreviated to "What is his name?"

b) Do you know what his name is?

Think both are correct if you ask for the name.

I'm sorry but that is not the case. Don't shoot the messenger though. I didn't invent the ridiculous rules that govern English grammar.

"What is his name?" is correct. However, when you add a "do you know" in front, you need to change the sentence to "Do you know what his name is?".

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sorry but that is not the case. Don't shoot the messenger though. I didn't invent the ridiculous rules that govern English grammar.

"What is his name?" is correct. However, when you add a "do you know" in front, you need to change the sentence to "Do you know what his name is?".
1) "May I know what is he doing?"

2) "May I know what he is doing?"

So according to what you have said, number 2 is the correct answer?

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
This thread tio hijacked liao.

China scared of this botak coming back? :biggrin:

chiang_kai-shek.jpg

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) "May I know what is he doing?"

2) "May I know what he is doing?"

So according to what you have said, number 2 is the correct answer?

Both are perfectly correct, as in the abbreviated forms:

1. May I know what he's doing?

2. May I know what's he doing?

Picking herring bones improves no English.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All I'm trying to do is help. :confused: Sinkies need to master at least ONE language or they'll forever be at a disadvantage in this globalised world we live in.

Ayah! you better beat head against the batu , lah!, all no talking eng er ish!:biggrin: hua yu also buay choon...what to do, it ' all lady ' happen, let's move on...psst..go ask that 'tancho hair' , Cheshire cat smile'...minister, why their command of English is as bad as their Chinese??!!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Both are perfectly correct, as in the abbreviated forms:

Abbreviation doesn't fix bad grammar.

You're entitled to your opinion and if enough people agree with you, it'll become correct. The rules of grammar aren't cast in stone.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't know whether the sentences are correct grammatically but I am pretty sure both are in common usage and quite acceptable widely. If that is the case, it becomes a mere academic exercise as grammar rules, unlike mathematical rules, often defy logic. I am happy to accept both as long as the sentences make perfect sense. It is only unacceptable if you break fundamental rules like "Who is they?" or "He did not saw the train coming."

There is no point using precision-perfect grammar in casual conversations or correspondences. That is what proofreaders are for if you are in the business of writing.