• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China cancels visa restriction on bald visitors

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Both ways mai a sai? can?:biggrin:

I'm fully aware that English can be a confusing language to learn. However, the ability to write well in ANY major language is an asset that can do nothing but good for career advancement.

Sinkies who are happy with Singlish and who can't be bothered with the intricacies of grammar should then make every effort to master Mandarin instead.

If you can't speak ANY language well and are comfortable only with Singlish, I'd say you're in a rather sorry state as there is a big wide world beyond that tiny little Island that won't be very impressed with your inability to communicate coherently.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why can't you just be like any other educated Singaporean and switch between English and Singlish? This ability to code-switch gives you the edge in Singapore, so why take it away? :biggrin:

Sinkies who are happy with Singlish and who can't be bothered with the intricacies of grammar should then make every effort to master Mandarin instead.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Guess who is he" is grammatically WRONG.

"Guess who he is". is CORRECT.

The problem is not with the position of of the "is". Its the punctuation mark.

Guess who he is. (correct)
Guess who he is? (wrong)

Guess who is he. (wrong)
Guess who is he? (correct)

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Guess who is he? (correct)

"Guess who is he?"
is INCORRECT.

"Who is he?" is CORRECT. However, once you add the word "guess" in front, you have to restructure the sentence.

Punctuation is another kettle of fish altogether. I haven't even started on that yet.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Why can't you just be like any other educated Singaporean and switch between English and Singlish? This ability to code-switch gives you the edge in Singapore, so why take it away? :biggrin:

I used to think that way but it doesn't work. Singlish will start to insidiously creep into business and formal communication without one realising it. Take a look at the articles written by ST journalists and you'll see what I mean.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"Guess who is he?"
is INCORRECT.

"Who is he?" is CORRECT. However, once you add the word "guess" in front, you have to restructure the sentence.

Punctuation is another kettle of fish altogether. I haven't even started on that yet.

Why is "Guess who is he?" incorrect?

It is just the shortened form of "Can you guess who is he?" i.e. 2 questions in 1 sentence. The word "guess" is not a verb but a noun.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Why is "Guess who is he?" incorrect?

It is just the shortened form of "Can you guess who is he?" i.e. 2 questions in 1 sentence. The word "guess" is not a verb but a noun.

There's nothing wrong with 2 questions in a single sentence.

However, the correct sentence is "Can you guess who he is?". and NOT "Can you guess who is he?".

PS: The word "guess" can be both a verb or a noun depending on how it is used within a sentence.

That's a good guess. (noun)
Guess who's coming to dinner? (verb)

jw5

Loyal
There's nothing wrong with 2 questions in a single sentence.

However, the correct sentence is "Can you guess who he is?". and NOT "Can you guess who is he?".
How about "Can you guess, who is he?"

Can or not? :o :biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
How about "Can you guess, who is he?"

Can or not? :o :biggrin:

Yes that's almost correct. It's two separate sentences so you need a period in between and not a comma. However, it would be better if you said. "Who is he? Can you guess?