• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

CB Goh Meng Seng want to do away $40k grants for young couples once he is elected!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: CB Goh Meng Seng want to do away $40k grants for young couples once he is elected

After all these years of watching GMS "in action" I can tell you he is not a paid agent. Paid agents don't do this. They will tell you they will care for the ward. No, no, GMS is not paid.

I will vote for a man who can eat enough rice to starve an entire platoon (according to cleareyes). Or even a man who steals bicycles and puts the chain across the library door like Queer XP bin hee heng. Oh hell, I'd even vote for Ramseth the huge ego maniac at this juncture (frightening that thought may seem...)

But a man who wants to take away housing grant?

Does he even know the root cause of the housing problem?

Bro: If I am in authority, who will I plant? Basically, it falls into 3 categories. The very obvious chaps, the 'neutrals' and the ''unbelievables'. If ever a miracle takes place and you find out the 'plants', I bet my enitre life and that of my future generations you will faint!

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: CB Goh Meng Seng want to do away $40k grants for young couples once he is elected

You are no amateur then! Cheers.

Too much has been discussed over a wannabe politician dying to get elected into parliament wanting to do good for 'all' and his skewed viewpoints. The only difference between him and the PAP man in Potong Pasir is that one has a well funded party behind him and one doesn't (no prizes for guessing who is who).

Both are scum, enough said.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

After all these years of watching GMS "in action" I can tell you he is not a paid agent. Paid agents don't do this. They will tell you they will care for the ward. No, no, GMS is not paid.

I will vote for a man who can eat enough rice to starve an entire platoon (according to cleareyes). Or even a man who steals bicycles and puts the chain across the library door like Queer XP bin hee heng. Oh hell, I'd even vote for Ramseth the huge ego maniac at this juncture (frightening that thought may seem...)

But a man who wants to take away housing grant?

Does he even know the root cause of the housing problem?

I have no ego, it's all imagined or misperceived. I'm just a humble commentator who's allegedly uneducated and knows rubbish about politics and economics. For ego, you'd have to look for the one who can glutton enough to starve an entire platoon and thinks that he has more education than the entire population. :eek: :biggrin:

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal

A housing grant is supposed to help people own homes and the farker went to politicize it, offering cock and bull reasons and figures plucked out from someone's arse to justify his "wisdom" that it is evil.

If it was evil, people would have voiced it out years ago. But then again, in the world of GMS, he is the only one who is the smartest, the only one who understands how things work or don't. The rest of us are all talking "rubbish".

GMS should just stick to taking the garment to task on bigger issues like unfair practices, transparency, justice, rigid policies, ...

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I have no ego, it's all imagined or misperceived. I'm just a humble commentator who's allegedly uneducated and knows rubbish about politics and economics. For ego, you'd have to look for the one who can glutton enough to starve an entire platoon and thinks that he has more education than the entire population. :eek: :biggrin:

You are very well informed politically but like Scroobal said you start fires and then walk away. If not for ego, why do you do this?

Anyway, it is not important. I'm just egging with you. Of all we know my ego is bigger than yours.

As for Goh Meng Seng your beef steak buddy (or is it prawn fritters now?) I can imagine him telling the rally crowd: "Whole of singapore has 10 DAN of intellect, myself 9 DAN, the rest of Singapore 1 DAN"

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng, you just dug yourself a deep grave just as elections are soon to be commenced. You really lack experience in communications.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You are very well informed politically but like Scroobal said you start fires and then walk away. If not for ego, why do you do this?

I'm just speaking according the best of my knowledge and in utmost good faith. I'm trying to help him as a good friend of mine but not claiming to be cleverer than him, only the result can speak.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

I can understand that everybody likes the government to give you money in one way or another. But when such handouts become "opium" that poison you in the long run, you should not fall for it.

It is always easy to sell GREED to people. It is always easy to use pork barrel politics to win votes but when such schemes like grants, is going to hurt the overall well being, it is time to take up the courage to reject it and explain why to the masses.

There are no bogus figures I have plucked from some unknown sources. What I have put forward is just economic rationale and reasoning. Housing market studies warrant a special mention in more advanced economic books basically because the production phase is a lagged process. In Singapore's context, the HDB markets are more complex as it involves two different markets, one monopolized by government while the other one, supposedly a free market which suffers distortions from governmental interventions. On top of that, it involves substitutional effect on the demand side, i.e. new entrants to the market may substitute their demand with resale market purchases. The resale market has no way of replenishing supplies as housing stock is fixed unless prices shoot up to the roof to entice owners to sell. The supply in New HDB market on the other hand could be produced by HDB and it directly supplement the housing stock. It is a complex system interwined with both systems affecting each other.

In short, I can only say grants to first timers are just attempts by the government to push away the blame and responsibility of building more new flats to the resale market... and it is just adding fuel to the already heated resale prices.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

What you have stated below is what you should have said at the forum. It is how you package it in in your communications and discourse. The grant is to pacify society at large and the younger voters specifically. It is the failure of HDB that has made the grants necessary.

Nobody in his right mind will ask for or propose giving grants unless there is an anamoly in the market.

In short, I can only say grants to first timers are just attempts by the government to push away the blame and responsibility of building more new flats to the resale market... and it is just adding fuel to the already heated resale prices.

Goh Meng Seng

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

I can understand that everybody likes the government to give you money in one way or another. But when such handouts become "opium" that poison you in the long run, you should not fall for it.

Goh Meng Seng

With the grant, people are already finding it tough, without the grant, do you think the people will find it easier?

If 1st timers do not get grants, they will look for their parents, and their parents will look for you. The one that suggested the abolishment of grants.

It is not a matter of right or wrong in such grants. It is the approach that waits to be seen whether the people can accept such radical approaches.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

With the grant, people are already finding it tough, without the grant, do you think the people will find it easier?

If 1st timers do not get grants, they will look for their parents, and their parents will look for you. The one that suggested the abolishment of grants.

It is not a matter of right or wrong in such grants. It is the approach that waits to be seen whether the people can accept such radical approaches.

The key is this, they shouldn't be thinking about Resale market flat if they find it difficult to afford! Make HDB sell new flats at cost so that they could buy cheap flats there. Then over time, they could have more savings earning interests, instead of paying interests through their mortgage. Thereafter, they could enjoy better later, be it retirement of upgrade to other flat types.

Encouraging people to buy something that they could ill afford and that involved borrowing which will cost them a bomb in interests is like pushing them into shit hole.

Goh Meng Seng

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I'm just speaking according the best of my knowledge and in utmost good faith. I'm trying to help him as a good friend of mine but not claiming to be cleverer than him, only the result can speak.

I have to give you credit for one thing ... at least you know when to have the cow sense to sit down and shut up.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The key is this, they shouldn't be thinking about Resale market flat if they find it difficult to afford! Make HDB sell new flats at cost so that they could buy cheap flats there. Then over time, they could have more savings earning interests, instead of paying interests through their mortgage. Thereafter, they could enjoy better later, be it retirement of upgrade to other flat types.

Encouraging people to buy something that they could ill afford and that involved borrowing which will cost them a bomb in interests is like pushing them into shit hole.

Goh Meng Seng

It's a grant, not a loan. What interest? That's not encouraging people to buying something they could ill afford. That's helping people to buy something they need but otherwise couldn't afford.

Singapore is not limitless land as all know. Keep shouting about building more new flats have a limit. Demolish more old flats to rebuild anew? That'll displace old flat owners who don't qualify for grants anymore.

Please address and argue the issue. Don't call people idiot or uneducated in public. It reflects very badly on your pedigree, mentality and upbringing, and the religion you profess to practise. As private joke it's alright among close friends. Think about it for yourself. You and I are both identified forummers. And you, more than that, identified candidate.

Last edited:

Airlib

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng

May I asked, what did you do with the past few GST credits, S&CC rebates (since you stay in HDB ), Income tax rebate (u got income one right...) and etc...

Donate out? or enjoy the hand-out?? Since such money given out by govt are no different from the 40k grants??

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

It's a grant, not a loan. What interest? That's not encouraging people to buying something they could ill afford. That's helping people to buy something they need but otherwise couldn't afford.

Singapore is not limitless land as all know. Keep shouting about building more new flats have a limit. Demolish more old flats to rebuild anew? That'll displace old flat owners who don't qualify for grants anymore.

Please address and argue the issue. Don't call people idiot or uneducated in public. It reflects very badly on your pedigree, mentality and upbringing, and the religion you profess to practise. As private joke it's alright among close friends. Think about it for yourself.

You really jialat. If New HDB flat sold at cost can be just $180k but because HDB didn't want to build enough flats, entice young couples to buy from resale market by giving a grant of $40k ending up with them paying $300K for their flat, aren't they going to commit more loans thus interests with 30yr mortgage when they could have just gotten their flat at $180k, saving them more than $120k plus all the interests?

Do you know that in some aspect, interest is modern day slavery? For young couples to over-commit themselves in buying a resale HDB flat is POISON of slavery.

Goh Meng Seng

Ilovelamb

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng
You claimed that you are economy expert and put many people down here including your pal who faithfully defending you here. Considering that you always think you are right in the internet, any other physical evident that can prove you are credible on your knowledge? Why are you still running a small computer shop that business never expand for the last 15 years? Even my sec drop out friends now drive a Lexus and earn handsome sum monthly from his chicken rice stall :rolleyes:

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng

You are talking cock. God help us all should you be chief urban planner. So your "bright" solution is to continually build new flats to cater to growing demands? Make them dirt cheap so young couples can afford them and then get them to sell them before upgrading? You idiot! Firstly, land is not something we have in abundance. Secondly, what will then happen is that supply will outrun demand and you'll be left with a glut of resale flats nobody wants. Young couples wll then be left in a catch 22 situation where they can't go up or down. If couples can't afford a home and shouldn't be looking at resale flats, then what do you suggst they do? Live on the streets? The grant is there to hep couples own thir firs home with certain conditions atached. End of. Nobody is putting a gun on aybody's head forcng them to take the grant. If you feel you can't afford it, don't take it up. Simple as that. I have benefitted from it because I plan carefully. Different peple have different aspirations, different abilities, different perspectives.

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal

You claimed that you are economy expert and put many people down here including your pal who faithfully defending you here. Considering that you always think you are right in the internet, any other physical evident that can prove you are credible on your knowledge? Why are you still running a small computer shop that business never expand for the last 15 years? Even my sec drop out friends now drive a Lexus and earn handsome sum monthly from his chicken rice stall :rolleyes:

He is running a small computer shop and will forever run one because he has a brain the size of a pea. Ask HDB to continue building new flats and make them dirt cheap is a solution for a small country like Sinkeepoo? Even my 8 year old daughter can tell you that's stupid!

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal

if you say that:
new flats supply is x% of total existing flat units, then price drop will be confined by around x%

then you are also saying that:
since price increased by 60% over last 4 years, it means that the total number of hdb flat owners must have increased by around 60% over last 4 years too....

:biggrin:

Pls dun misquote me for things i have never say. That is very deceptive and i find that despicable.

Does the fact that a new hdb flat sold 30 years ago at $3o,ooo affect the resale market price today? The answer is no. It has got to do with market demand and supply, interest rates, hdb/cpf/government policies, economy and job market condition etc.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have neither vested interest nor conflict of interest in this. Me and all my siblings have bought and sold flats before, not eligible for any grant anymore. I'm just looking at the issue objectively and as fairly as my faculty and conscience can function. I don't claim to be always right, just in utmost good faith as a matter of opinion from observation.

I could easily have said, yeah, no more grant, not my business. But let's be fair the younger ones, even strangers. And the economic point is still about land. How to keep building more and more new flats and sell at cost without demolishing more and more old flats and forcing them to rebuy and remortgage? Hope the economist can answer.