• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Caring for the poor? This is what will happen if you pander to the needs of losers.

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Caring for the poor? This is what will happen if you pander to the needs of loser

In order to help the poor, a welfare system has to be set up. You can't separate the two. It can't be done based on a subjective assessment. In an open and transparent system, the terms and conditions required before help is rendered have to be spelt out in black and white.

Once that is done, the abuse then starts because the rules for qualifying for help are available to everyone and for every genuine case, there will be 10 that have simply jumped on the bandwagon.

A typical example of how abuse is perpetuated is when it comes to means testing. For example, if someone who owns property is not entitled to a benefit, then what the fraudsters do is transfer the ownership of the property to a kid or a relative. It's impossible to stop. It's no different from the way bankrupts are seen still driving around in their Mercs and living in mansions despite being "penniless".

Sad to say, I agree with you.a lot of rich people tend to abuse the benefits that were supposed to help the poor.Can afford to drive big cars but child school fees asked for subsidies.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Caring for the poor? This is what will happen if you pander to the needs of loser

Sam, these are the few hospitals that are free for all regardless of race or religion. Rich (abuser) and poor are welcome.

They have been helping the poor long before you were born without serious abuse if any and have not gone bankrupt.
This is one area where the government should help without having to go bankrupt.

http://www.stcmi.org.sg/history.asp

http://www.kwsh.org.sg/abt_history.htm

http://www.sbfc.org.sg/en/history.htm

How these hospitals can afford to do it for free and the super rich government can't?

Care to elaborate?

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Sam, these are the few hospitals that are free for all regardless of race or religion.

They have been helping the poor long before you were born without serious abuse if any and have not gone bankrupt.
This is one area where the government should help without having to go bankrupt.

http://www.stcmi.org.sg/history.asp

http://www.kwsh.org.sg/abt_history.htm

http://www.sbfc.org.sg/en/history.htm

There is a big difference between a charitable organisation and the govt.

For example, charitable hospitals define their scope of services and put a lid on their costs. A govt health system wouldn't be able to do the same.

I've worked in hospice run by a charity. They have a budget and they stick to it and gently turn those they can't help away. When they run out of bed space, they simply say "sorry we're full at the moment". Citizens would never accept that from a government run health care system.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There is a big difference between a charitable organisation and the govt.

For example, charitable hospitals define their scope of services and put a lid on their costs. A govt health system wouldn't be able to do the same.

I've worked in hospice run by a charity. They have a budget and they stick to it and gently turn those they can't help away. When they run out of bed space, they simply say "sorry we're full at the moment". Citizens would never accept that from a government run health care system.

Then all the more, the super rich government should set up a charity to provide free medical the way others do it. Why are they not doing it?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Then all the more, the super rich government should set up a charity to provide free medical the way others do it. Why are they not doing it?

For everyone?... for everything from a sore throat to brain surgery, gene therapy etc?

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

For everyone?... for everything from a sore throat to brain surgery, gene therapy etc?

Please don't deviate from what you have said earlier.

>>>"There is a big difference between a charitable organisation and the govt.

I've worked in hospice run by a charity. They have a budget and they stick to it and gently turn those they can't help away. When they run out of bed space, they simply say "sorry we're full at the moment". Citizens would never accept that from a government run health care system.]"<<<<

So start a charity as private entity. Base on what fact and evidence that the citizens will never accept capping of services?
Do you know Polyclinics are capping their services?

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

So start a charity as private entity. Base on what fact and evidence that the citizens will never accept capping of services?
Do you know Polyclinics are capping their services?

Your concept is noble. The devil is always in the details.

I've lived in two countries with comprehensive health care. It didn't work properly in either country. Waiting time at A & E is 8 hours. I've experienced it personally when I broke my ankle. I was lying in a corridor from 7 pm till 5 am the next morning before I was seen to.

People die waiting for their heart operations.

Besides nothing is really FREE. It's either paid for in advance as was the case with my treatment or it's paid for by somebody else.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Caring for the Rich.

Ever noticed how Investors/Shareholders never quite get the Entitlements of the business administrators :biggrin:

On another thread, there is a question of Ho Ching sitting on the Temasek board.
http://www.singsupplies.com/showthr...l-on-the-board-in-Temasek&p=969729#post969729

HC daddy in law get special treatment in Parliament House, using it as his aged-care centre, drawing a nice sum of money.

As usual, the poor get blamed for taking too much entitlement, but not the rich.

Those people who caused the GFC are still entitled to cause this new GFC 2012. Akan Datang!

Entitlement, it is what makes the world tick :biggrin:

Which is worse? I have no idea now.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

As usual, the poor get blamed for taking too much entitlement, but not the rich.

The man built Singapore pretty much from scratch. He deserves every penny he gets and more.

The poor, on the other hand, deserve nothing.

Zatoichi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Don't you mean the LAZY deserve nothing?

My late grandfather was a very hardworking and well-respected primary school teacher in Singapore for over 30 continuous years from just after World War 2 to the late 1970s, before being forced to retire in his mid-50s, even though he was still strong and healthy enough to continue working. With the kind of low salary he had been receiving during that period, and with a wife and 4 baby-boomer children (one of whom died young in his late teens in a traffic accident) to support, he retired with ZERO savings.

Fortunately, he had children, who cared enough and who had enough income, to support him.

My point is, what if such a man/woman (in Singapore/other countries, even in the 21st century) had no children, or even if he/she had any children, what if they were unable to support him/her financially in his/her post-retirement old age? For example, what if he/she had 2 children and one died young, while the other ended up emigrating from Singapore and refusing to care about his parents?

*sigh*
In an ideal world, money should simply NOT exist, in my opinion.
People should simply not try to acquire power over anyone else, such as by means of money!
They should all just live harmoniously with one another, and SHARE things, not trade!
All work should be a "labour of love"!
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/222400.html

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Key to getting pple out of poverty and dependence on the state is to get them to work instead of throwing money at them. WOW. Who would have thought

'Stacking shelves is better than dreaming of stardom on the X Factor', says Iain Duncan

By James Chapman

Last updated at 9:50 AM on 21st February 2012

Stacking supermarket shelves is better than dreaming of stardom via TV’s The X Factor, Iain Duncan Smith insists today as he mounts an extraordinary attack on critics of a flagship work experience scheme for benefit claimants.

The Work and Pensions Secretary reveals that thousands of youngsters on the dole have already secured jobs after taking part in a Government programme which offers two-month placements with leading employers — with more than half coming off benefits.

Human rights lawyers representing an unemployed graduate who objected to stacking shelves in budget store Poundland have led critics to liken the scheme to ‘slave labour’.

Mr Duncan Smith argues that some of the country’s most successful businessmen — including former Tesco boss Sir Terry Leahy — started their careers on the shop floor.

Work, he says, can give people languishing on welfare handouts a sense of purpose and open up opportunities.

Mr Duncan Smith argues that an obsession with celebrity risks breaking the link between ‘success and hard work’ — as well as indirectly fuelling mass immigration.

‘It is because of such attitudes that we have seen British businesses bringing in large numbers of foreign nationals to do jobs for which they cannot find people at home,’ he says.

According to the latest figures, 34,200 benefit claimants so far have taken work placements under the Government-led programme. Firms taking part include Tesco, Boots and Holland & Barrett.

Initial analysis of 1,300 cases shows that after 13 weeks, only 49 per cent remained on welfare handouts. Some stop claiming, but thousands are getting jobs.

However, Labour frontbencher John Woodcock is expected to warn today that while the scheme appears ‘shambolic’, his party must acknowledge its own failure on welfare reform and back the ‘something for something’ principle.

‘We must not be diverted by the inadequacies of one particular scheme into stepping back from the principle of increasing obligations placed on benefit claimants as we increase support available to them,’ he is expected to say.

Over the past few days, the battle lines have been clearly drawn on the issue of youth unemployment.

In one corner, we find those prepared to do everything they can to give a chance to young people who are looking for a job and help them gain experience of the workplace.

In the other, armed with an unjustified sense of superiority and sporting an intellectual sneer, we find a commentating elite which seems determined to belittle and downgrade any opportunity for young people that doesn’t fit their pre-conceived notion of a ‘worthwhile job’.

Let me start by saying that I am enormously proud of our Work Experience scheme, as well as of the companies who have chosen to take part.

Under the scheme, young people on benefits are offered placements of up to two months with a variety of employers to give them an opportunity to get an experience of work.

Firms who have signed up include Boots, McDonald’s, Argos, Tesco and Primark. In return for working 30 hours a week, the unemployed continue to receive their normal Jobseeker’s Allowance as well as expenses.

The thinking behind the initiative is the recognition that when considering whether to take a young person on, employers will highly value any relevant work experience.

It is up to young people to decide, voluntarily, whether they wish to take part in the scheme, and they can pull out of their placement during the first week without sanction.

This is why the scheme has been so successful. The fact is that 13 weeks after starting their placements, around 50 per cent of those taking part have either taken up permanent posts or have stopped claiming benefits.

Take, for example, 20-year-old Samantha Davies, from Neath, South Wales, who took a Work Experience placement at a local nursery. She impressed them so much that she was offered a job, and now she has signed off Jobseeker’s Allowance. Or Chris Burke, from Lewisham, South-East London, who got a job as an administrative apprentice at a local college.

What’s more, the scheme is so popular among young people that it is oversubscribed. As a result, we are expanding it later this year through the new Youth Contract to guarantee a place for every unemployed young person who wants one.

Given this, you may be surprised to hear some of the criticism that has been directed at the scheme in recent days, including the claim that young people are being forced into ‘21st-century slavery’, or that we are engaging in so-called ‘workfare’.

Let me be quite clear: this Government does not have a workfare programme. Workfare is an American term used to describe employment programmes which force all jobseekers to work at a certain point of their welfare claim — a practice which we do not consider to be effective.

Here, in Britain, it is true that we have a programme which can require claimants to undertake a short period of compulsory work if we do not believe they are engaging properly in the pursuit of employment. But the programme is carefully targeted and — importantly — it is entirely separate from the voluntary Work Experience scheme which I described above.

The fact is that the Government’s opponents — who constitute a group of modern-day Luddites — are throwing around these misleading terms in a deliberately malicious and provocative fashion, and will stop at nothing in their attempts to mislead the public on this issue. What is utterly unacceptable is that many of Britain’s largest and most prestigious employers have found themselves caught up in the middle of this undignified row.

The firms who have offered work experience to young people on this scheme have been absolutely brilliant and, most importantly, they are making a difference in terms of helping the young unemployed get into work.

For example, out of around 1,400 individuals who have taken part in the Work Experience placement at Tesco, more than 300 have been taken on in permanent roles with the supermarket.

Most admirably, these firms are offering opportunities and helping the economic prospects of our younger generation.

I hope more companies will see the benefits and choose to take part by investing in our young people in the future. However, to help these youngsters, we also have to expose the lies of those who have launched unedifying attacks on our programme.

Sadly, so much of this criticism, I fear, is intellectual snobbery. The implicit message behind these ill-considered attacks is that jobs in retail, such as those with supermarkets or on the High Street, are not real jobs that worthwhile people do.

How insulting and demeaning of the many thousands of people who already work in such jobs up and down the country!

I doubt I’m the only person who thinks supermarket shelf-stackers add more value to our society than many of those ‘job snobs’ who are busy pontificating about the Government’s employment policies. They should learn to value work and not sneer at it.

Furthermore, those critics waging war against work experience also forget that some of this country’s most successful businessmen and women started their careers on the shop floor. Lest we forget, Tesco’s former chief executive officer Sir Terry Leahy started life scrubbing floors at a Tesco store in his school holidays.

As well as betraying their ignorance and snobbery, our opponents have pathetically opted to use human rights laws, making claims about people being subjected by force to ‘slave labour’. These, though, have no basis in reality, since our work programme is purely voluntary. It’s time to put an end to this damaging nonsense. The hard truth is that finding the right job for someone is not easy. There isn’t always one simple route.

Meanwhile, we are caught in a battle between those who think young people should work only if they are able to secure their dream job, and those like myself who passionately believe that work in all shapes and forms can be valuable, for it gives people a sense of purpose and opens up further opportunities.

Anyone who is gulled by those who believe in the first path is in danger of creating a society with a twisted culture that thinks being a celebrity or appearing on The X Factor is the only route worth pursuing in life.

The belief that you can just sit at home or wait to become a TV star and that work simply lands in your lap, in turn, feeds the pernicious idea that success is not related to effort and work.

In light of such attitudes from so many indigenous Britons, it’s small wonder that businesses have hired so many foreign nationals in the past decade or so. The fact is that they can’t find the employees of quality that they need from the available British workforce.

Now is the time to provide opportunities for young people, to help get them back and competing in the workplace, and to give them real opportunities for the future.

Work experience is part of the fight-back of welfare reform — based on the principle of enlightenment, not entitlement.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2104027/Stacking-shelves-better-dreaming-stardom-X-Factor-says-Iain-Duncan-Smith.html

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The man built Singapore pretty much from scratch. He deserves every penny he gets and more.

How much is enough for Lee Kuan Yew? His family and descendants (including the undeserving relatives - eg Loong) are elevated to absolute monarchy status.

He is not infallible, so he need to moderate himself and not set himself as a model for a worse dictator that comes after him. A Lee Dynasty? Another lawyer's letter?

Behind a Dr Jekyll is a Mr Hyde. There is Yin and there is Yang.

I still believe in moderation, but humans are notoriously difficult to achieve that.

From scratch?

The British left behind major working infrastructure such as a major naval base, a working harbour, an excellent civil service and CPF.

What LKY did is to follow the advice of a Dutch economist, his own lawyer wife and a few old guards, and mobilise the people behind him and took the opportunities to become one of the asian tiger.

What does he leave behind for the future generations of Singaporeans?

Pampered people waiting to be spoonfed with silverware?

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Don't you mean the LAZY deserve nothing?

My late grandfather was a very hardworking and well-respected primary school teacher in Singapore for over 30 continuous years from just after World War 2 to the late 1970s, before being forced to retire in his mid-50s, even though he was still strong and healthy enough to continue working. With the kind of low salary he had been receiving during that period, and with a wife and 4 baby-boomer children (one of whom died young in his late teens in a traffic accident) to support, he retired with ZERO savings.

If he ended up with zero savings, that's his own fault. I had an Uncle who was in a similar situation. However, he put aside a small sum every month and it grew as the years went by. He used the money to buy a small shop house in Chinatown. It was rent controlled at the time and he got $30 per month from the tenants. Everyone said he was an idiot.

When the rent control act laws were changed, he sold it for $750,000.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

What LKY did is to follow the advice of a Dutch economist, his own lawyer wife and a few old guards, and mobilise the people behind him and took the opportunities to become one of the asian tiger.

What LKY provided was something that cannot be seen or measured. It's called LEEdership. He succeeded in getting his whole team to go along with on his ride.

If you look at all the infighting and the regular disintegration of the current bunch of opposition jokers, you'll realise that getting a team to all pull in the same direction is a very difficult task. LKY is an exceptional man by any measure.

Zatoichi

Alfrescian
Loyal

If he ended up with zero savings, that's his own fault.
I would agree that it's his fault inasmuch as he decided to marry and have children when he was still poor in the late 1940s. It was a gamble (in my opinion, of course), and he was lucky to have survived it (because of his children's support) until he died in his 80s some years ago.

I totally agree with you that SOME poor people, such as those couples who deliberately produce so many children when they can't afford it, don't deserve to be rewarded with anything and should be punished in some way instead.

But since the production of children is already a "fait accompli", and since modern governments in "first-world" countries don't want to literally murder them by starvation or by any other way, they'll have to provide free money to their parents to take care of them. Such parents simply become de facto childcare workers employed by the government to take care of their own children at home!

When the rent control act laws were changed, he sold it for $750,000.
But that depended entirely on LUCK, didn't it?
What if the "rent control act laws" did not change?
So it was still a gamble, wasn't it?
But if you think there's nothing morally wrong with gambling, or if you don't even consider that as gambling, then I won't argue with you any further since our first-principles on this issue are diametrically opposed to each other, so we should more or less be able to see each other's conclusions, I think....

My point is that every person in the world is unique, with different talents and intellects, and with different opportunities in life as well.

Some people are just UNABLE to escape from poverty, even if they wanted to, especially if they've already reached the beginning of old age.

Also, even if they were able to escape from poverty by doing some kind of money-paying work that happens to be available, they might have something called a STRONG CONSCIENCE that prevents them from selling themselves into some kind of slavery, doing meaningless work just to earn enough money for basic necessities, such as food and shelter. They would literally rather die (but not commit suicide) than be slaves.

This is why many of such people tend to become some kind of thieves or robbers, trying to become like some modern version of Robin Hood robbing the rich or anyone they think has enough money to spare, or simply stealing things from shops if they don't want to bother to steal money in order to buy things from those shops.

Furthermore, such people don't even feel guilty!
Simply because they regard the rich and powerful people who rule over them (and not just the government) as being in the wrong, i.e. they think that it's wrong for people to be so rich/powerful in the first place because in order to have become so rich/powerful, they must have "robbed" or bullied the majority of the rest of the population in some way in the first place.

So when poor people become thieves/robbers, they don't feel guilty because they think that they are simply taking back through whatever means the things that were stolen from them in the past by the rich/powerful, but since those things are no longer available, they'll just take whatever they need; or if they're angry enough, they'll just take whatever they want!

So, rather than lock up so many POTENTIAL thieves/robbers in insufficient prison cells, some governments would rather just bribe them with enough money on a regular basis indefinitely, in return for some kind of TEMPORARY peace or "truce" in the neverending battle between the rich and the poor...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ultimately, in my opinion, the FUNDAMENTAL problem for both rich and poor and everyone in between is still greed for Power (usually via control of the police/army), possessions (including money and realty) and pleasure (especially fornication); the three Ps, as I like to call it.

And all that any government in the world can do is to keep up the brainwashing, bribing and bullying (the three Bs) on a frequent and regular basis indefinitely.

That's what has simply been happening throughout the history of humanity, and it will continue happening until the end of the world, unless the world never ends, then it will continue happening forever! haha

But I happen to have some belief that the world, as we know it now, will end one day...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

But that depended entirely on LUCK, didn't it?
What if the "rent control act laws" did not change?
So it was still a gamble, wasn't it?

I actually had a discussion with him on this issue. Based on that, I'm convinced he had foresight. The rent control act was a remnant of WW2. It could never have lasted forever.

All told I have to point out that life is never fair but if we bail out anyone who has made the wrong calls, there would be little point in anyone taking risks in order to achieve success.

Zatoichi

Alfrescian
Loyal

if we bail out anyone who has made the wrong calls, there would be little point in anyone taking risks in order to achieve success.
I would totally agree if I also agreed that it's good/right for anyone to take risks in order to achieve such so-called "success".
But obviously, I don't agree that it's good/right.
(Even if I were to gamble, I would also not say that it's morally good/right; at most, I would say I gambled for fun, and if anyone were to ask me, I would admit that it's bad/wrong.)

More importantly, I don't agree with the very existence of money, including the usage of gold and/or silver as currency.

What makes life even worse for most people is inflation in the paper money supply and easy credit of such paper money into the worldwide banking/financial/currency system.

True success/happiness ought to be measured without numbers in whatever form.
It should be measured simply by people living in harmony with one another anywhere/everywhere in the world.

Of course, such an ideal has never existed (as long as people still want to continue sinning), which is why, as I've said elsewhere before, I have no solution to this worldwide problem.

The most I can do is to apply my ideals to my own self.... *sigh*

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I would totally agree if I also agreed that it's good/right for anyone to take risks in order to achieve such so-called "success".
But obviously, I don't agree that it's good/right.
(Even if I were to gamble, I would also not say that it's morally good/right; at most, I would say I gambled for fun, and if anyone were to ask me, I would admit that it's bad/wrong.)

More importantly, I don't agree with the very existence of money, including the usage of gold and/or silver as currency.

What makes life even worse for most people is inflation in the paper money supply and easy credit of such paper money into the worldwide banking/financial/currency system.

True success/happiness ought to be measured without numbers in whatever form.
It should be measured simply by people living in harmony with one another anywhere/everywhere in the world.

Of course, such an ideal has never existed (as long as people still want to continue sinning), which is why, as I've said elsewhere before, I have no solution to this worldwide problem.

The most I can do is to apply my ideals to my own self.... *sigh*

1. I have enough of successful people who inherit their fortune, telling me that they are not leeches because their parents/grandparents earned the money by hard work, and not through robbery. I know of even more people who do not grow rich by doing hard work. We have to examine honesty, luck, opportunity (babyboomer demographic growth) to see that the x-factors that made them rich. This will make their success look less stellar.

2. Money was originally used to carry the value of its underlying asset and not an asset by itself. Eg A simplistic illustration. When a rice farmer want to exchange his rice for eggs from the egg farmer. He can either look for a egg farmer who want his rice if he does not use money, or exchange his rice for equivalent money to someone who want his rice, and use that money to buy rice from any rice farmer.

If you get me so far, you will know that I agree that money should be used as a convenient means for transactions. Well money should not be used for hoarding. Unfortunately, there is nothing to make money disappear when it is not used in circulation. So, having money becomes an objective in itself. We live in an imperrfect world that it is possible for some people to hoard a lot of money.

To make lives more miserable, it is now possible to rent money to earn money, without doing productive work. Just use the money to work for you.

Welcome to the real world :biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What LKY provided was something that cannot be seen or measured. It's called LEEdership. He succeeded in getting his whole team to go along with on his ride.

If you look at all the infighting and the regular disintegration of the current bunch of opposition jokers, you'll realise that getting a team to all pull in the same direction is a very difficult task. LKY is an exceptional man by any measure.

Lee is no doubt an excellent speaker that can hypnotise his audience.

It is interesting to see how Lee Kuan Yew made use of the British, the Commies and later the Singaporeans to achieve his objectives. (The Malays did not want to play his game)
He and his wife tag team used the Old Guard effectively. I am sure there was team dynamics but somehow, he is the only one left to play the game while the rest of his team fade away. LEEdership indeed.

How he treated the dissidents and use his office to nip the buds of anyone against him, has led to the current sorry state of the Opposition. It is amazing how Singapore political opposition have to play to an unlevel playing field and I question if this is good for the future of Singapore.

Eg. GRC representation is skewed towards PAP continuous hold in power, creating safe seats for PAP - until the last election. Still, a few PAP mannequins slipped through into Parliament from GRCs again.

Back to the question? PM BG (Ret) Lee Hsien Loong.

Why are Singaporeans pandering to the needs of the rich? What happened to the poor who built Singapore? Eg The samsui women? What remains their fate?

This is the free market legit business :biggrin:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-21/wealthy-enriched-by-double-dipping-u-s-plan.html
Wealthy Enriched by Double-Dipping U.S. Plan

In April 2003, Piyush Agrawal deleted his son’s name as president of APS Technologies Inc. He replaced it with his own on a hand-written filing with the Florida Department of State.

That made the 66-year-old retired educator the sole officer and director of the firm and separated its management from a medical supply company run by Agrawal’s two sons. Three months later, he followed his sons into a U.S. program that steers government business to the “socially and economically disadvantaged.” It was the Agrawal family’s second time obtaining federal assistance under a benefit that prescribes that immediate family members should participate only once.

The New Delhi immigrants have grown rich on $256 million in government contracts since 1993 through a web of family-owned companies. The Agrawals are still in the nine-year program today, 18 years after first qualifying.

They are among 12 repeat participants that have received $412 million in preferential contracts, and more than $1 billion in total government awards, based on data compiled by Bloomberg. Because of opportunistic entrepreneurs and lax government overseers, even the wealthy profit from a taxpayer-supported program designed to bolster underprivileged segments of society.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lee is no doubt an excellent speaker that can hypnotise his audience.
Yes, that's one of the main reasons he was so powerful and popular among so many Singaporeans last time.
If my religious beliefs were not so strong, I would also be mesmerized by, and agree with, him totally! haha

He was simply a master brainwasher (besides, of course, the usual tactics of bribing and bullying, whenever necessary), even towards foreigners:

LKY meets the foreign press! (1984) Part 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxt7S-oljwU
LKY meets the Foreign press (1984) Part 2/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLOCgajTF-0

LKY @ his best during 1984 National Day Rally
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ofjSBGmOcY

I enjoyed watching/listening to him, mainly because of his eloquence (even when he was well past middle age) and the fact that he would make a lot of sense IF I have no religious beliefs, just as he is also an agnostic/atheist/whatever...

I even bothered to save all of them into my computer using keepvid.com so that I can rewatch them in the future if I want to, and just in case they get removed from YouTube because of whatever reason! haha

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But seriously, another main reason (or reasons) for his power is the cowardice, ignorance, lower intelligence, and greed for money of the huge majority of Singaporeans (and also for most people around the world, but that doesn't mean that I consider all of them to be totally at fault; at most, I would say that they were partially at fault) that has existed since, I dare say, even before LKY was born!

Those character traits existed in those ancestors (of modern Singaporean Chinese (or Chinese Singaporean) people), who decided to escape to Southeast Asia from southern China (mainly the provinces of Guangdong and Fujian) for whatever reasons rather than to stay loyal to their native Chinese communities till DEATH, simply because they feared death ("kiasee") and suffering.

They were unlike, say, the British who sailed around the world in order to colonize new territories.
The main motive of the British was greed (or the so-called "profit motive") for power/possessions/pleasure, while the main motive of the ancestors of modern Chinese Singaporeans was fear of death/suffering.

So that was the root, or at least one of the roots, for the modern-day "sinkies", as how some of us like to refer to such Singaporeans.
Most of us have at least subconciously "inherited" such bad character traits through many decades of brainwashing (also known as "mind control"), so it's not entirely our fault.

But that doesn't mean that we should just accept such "sinkie" behaviour as something that can't be overcome.
Each person should at least try his/her best to improve his/her own self in his/her own personal REAL LIFE as much as possible, without getting distraught by other things. It probably won't be good enough, but at least there's no harm trying one's best, so that even if one's best ends in failure, at least one can still honestly say to oneself, "I tried my best."

Unfortunately, once again, I have no perfect solution...
I'm only confident in my beliefs about the roots of the world's problems...
And confident that I've tried my best to be the best that I can be so far...

*sigh*