• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bundesliga Season 2011/2012

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

182369_thumb.jpg

Marin reveals he snubbed Tottenham in order to secure 'dream' Chelsea move
Germany international winger is set to move to Stamford Bridge after three years with the Green-Whites, and believes his new club will offer a new challenge

182445_thumb.jpg

Gomez: Beating Stuttgart important for Bayern
The prolific striker has insisted that it is crucial to continue winning in order to maintain high morale, while Christian Nerlinger added FCB will not lose focus

182525_thumb.jpg

Emotional Raul 'forever' thankful for Schalke experience
The veteran striker scored during the Royal Blues' 4-0 win over Hertha Berlin on Saturday, and he had nothing but praise for the club after playing his last game at Veltins-Arena

136158_thumb.jpg

Bayern Munich set to sign Germany Under-18 starlet Mitchell Weiser - report
The Bavarians have allegedly reached an agreement with the rising talent, who has already made his debut for the Koln senior team. He will sign next summer at the latest

181047_thumb.jpg

Klopp delighted by 'perfect' Borussia Dortmund display against Kaiserslautern
The 47-year-old hailed the character of his young team as he felt they endured the rainy conditions at the Fritz-Walter-Stadion extremely well to pave the way for an emphatic win

161963_thumb.jpg

We delivered a professional performance against Stuttgart, says Bayern's Heynckes
The Bavarians' trainer lauded the resilience and commitment of his players in Saturday's convincing victory over the Swabians at the Allianz Arena in the Bundesliga

177875_thumb.jpg

Farfan extends Schalke contract to 2016
The Peruvian had been tipped to leave the Royal Blues earlier in the season, but he has now committed himself to the club after signing on for a further four years

128567_thumb.jpg

Rummenigge: Bayern Munich are the toast of Europe
The 56-year-old believes that the Bavarians are now the envy of the continent after progressing to the final while keeping true to their philosophy

182369_thumb.jpg

Chelsea sign Werder Bremen playmaker Marin
Blues wrap up deal to bring the 23-year-old German international to Stamford Bridge next season in a deal reported to be worth up to £6.5 million

182060_thumb.jpg

Neuer: I knew how Cristiano Ronaldo would take his penalty
The Bayern Munich custodian saw footage of the Portuguese attacker taking spot-kicks prior to the Champions League fixture and was confident he would send his shot to the left

172995_thumb.jpg

Dante: I simply had to accept the offer to join Bayern Munich
The Borussia Monchengladbach fan favourite admits the time has come to leave the club, saying the move to the perennial winners may be his last chance to win the Bundesliga title

178598_thumb.jpg

Manchester United target Dortmund star Kagawa
The Japan international is expected by the Bundesliga champions not to sign a contract extension, with the Red Devils ready to pounce by offering him a three-year deal

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Emotional Raul 'forever' thankful for Schalke experience

The veteran striker scored during the Royal Blues' 4-0 win over Hertha Berlin on Saturday, and he had nothing but praise for the club after playing his last game at Veltins-Arena

Apr 29, 2012 12:50:00 AM

By Livio Caferoglu

182525hp2.jpg

Departing Schalke forward Raul says he will never forget his experience in Gelsenkirchen after helping his side to a 4-0 victory over Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga on Saturday.

The Spaniard scored his 21st goal of the campaign in an emphatic win against Otto Rehhagel's men that has not only tied up third place in the league table, but more importantly Champions League football for the Royal Blues next season.

However, the match marked Raul's last appearance in the Veltins Arena as a Schalke player, following on from his previous announcement that he would leave the club at the end of 2011-12, and the 34-year-old struggled to put the joy of his two-year German adventure into words.

"It's been a very special and emotional day, but the most important thing is that Schalke got third place and will be in the Champions League next season," Raul said after the match.

"I scored in my last match and watching the love of the fans during these two years has been very special. I have no words to describe it.

"It is clear that Schalke is a special club and it is because of their fans. From the first day I arrived I was shown much love and respect.

"Whenever we played at the Veltins Arena, the fans were always behind the team and every game we played away from home we had 3,000-4,000 fans travelling with us.

"It's unique and wonderful. They are with their team to death, on victories and defeats. I'll be grateful forever."

Raul then refused to disclose where he will be playing his football next season, but did reveal his two most proud memories during his time with Schalke.

"I still cannot tell you [the reporters] where I am going, but soon you will know. In two weeks, I can say what will be my destiny," he continued.

"It has been two wonderful years, but if I could keep a moment intact, it would be when we won the DFB-Pokal, because I couldn't do it with Real Madrid [in the Copa del Rey].

"I also wanted my children to live this experience with their father. They have enjoyed it a lot and had a good time. They have seen all the love this fans have for their father."

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

181069_thumb.jpg

Manchester United target Kagawa unwilling to sign new contract
The Japan international, who has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford, has rejected an extension and now seems certain to leave the Westfalenstadion in the summer

58550_thumb.jpg

Benaglio signs Wolfsburg extension until 2017
The Switzerland international has opted to extend his stay with the Bundesliga outfit, and has signed a new four-year deal with the side led by Felix Magath

182525_thumb.jpg

Magath: Raul better than Ribery and Robben
The trainer is of the opinion that the Real Madrid icon is the best ever import to the German top flight, and rates him ahead of the two attacking midfielders

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

173099_thumb.jpg

Inter, Arsenal, Dortmund and Marseille all interested in me, claims Dragovic
The Austria international was keen to admit that a number of clubs are looking to acquire his services, suggesting he is open to a move away from the Swiss Super League

158426_thumb.jpg

Podolski will be a big hit in the Premier League at Arsenal, says Woodcock
Former Gunners and Koln striker believes 26-year-old German international has timed his move to Emirates to perfection but is unsure if move will persuade Robin van Persie to stay

121864_thumb.jpg

Sammer hails German football's progress
The 44-year-old is of the belief that the standard of the game in his homeland has improved drastically over the past 10 years, using the Bavarians as an example

181069_thumb.jpg

Kagawa is no longer unsellable, admits Watzke
The Japanese midfielder will not renew his stay at Signal Iduna Park and the CEO has stated interested suitors should consult either the player or the club if they want to sign him

138088_thumb.jpg

Van Buyten signs one-year extension with Bayern
The Belgium international is currently nursing a broken foot, but will ply his trade at the Allianz Arena for another year after renewing his contract

160785_thumb.jpg

Hoeness admits uncertainty over Robben's contract extension following Ribery scuffle
The 60-year-old says the Netherlands international was on the verge of committing his future to the Bavarian giants but that now the situation has changed

178189_thumb.jpg

Pro-active Podolski signing proves Arsenal are learning their lesson
The Gunners have moved early to bring in the Germany international after struggling to secure quality acquisitions in recent transfer windows

171486_thumb.jpg

Arsenal sign Lukas Podolski
The Gunners have been linked with the German international throughout the season, and his club have now confirmed he will switch to the Premier League this summer

166271_thumb.jpg

'I want to stay in Premier League' - Sigurdsson
The Hoffenheim midfielder has scored seven goals this season on loan at Swansea and has told the German club that he wants a permanent move to a club in the English top-flight

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal sign Lukas Podolski

The Gunners have been linked with the German international throughout the season, and his club have now confirmed he will switch to the Premier League this summer

Apr 30, 2012 1:04:00 PM

171486hp2.jpg

Koln striker Lukas Podolski will join Arsenal in the summer for an undisclosed fee, the Bundesliga club has announced.

In an official statement on the club’s official website confirming the deal, executive board chairman, Claus Horstmann admitted that Koln had offered the player new “competitive” terms on his contract, but with just one year left on his current deal, a transfer was best for the team.

Horstmann said: “We deeply regret his step, which is not a decision against [the club] but for the good of his own career. Koln were prepared to extend Lukas Podolski's contract on the basis of a competitive offer.

“Nonetheless, this early transfer decision offers scope and planning security for the next season. We will jump at this opportunity to reinvest these transfer earnings back into our team's quality and into the promotion of our youth squads.

“Lukas has helped the club in many difficult situations, Lukas has left a mark on Koln's reputation and we feel the need to thank him for numerous great football experiences at Koln.”

760_48x48.jpg
LUKAS PODOLSKI
STRIKER | KOLN

<tbody>
</tbody>
161957_hp.jpg

IN FOCUS
Age26
Caps95
Previous clubsBayern Munich, Koln
2011-12 BUNDESLIGA STATS
Games28
Goals18
Assists6

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
The move has long been in the offing, with the striker's former boss Stale Solbakken admitting just two weeks ago that a move to England was on the cards and Gunners' manager Arsene Wenger publicly stating his admiration for the former Bayern Munich player in March.

And Wenger, himself, speaking to Arsenal's official website, spoke of his happiness at securing the signature of the "top-class player": "We are delighted to secure the deal for Lukas and see him as an important part of our future. He is a top-class player, a very good finisher and a proven performer at club and international level. He is a very strong player and will provide us with good attacking options.

"We are happy to have made this signing early and we are looking forward to watching Lukas contribute at the European Championships over the summer, a level where he has already made 95 caps at the age of 26. That is a phenomenal record and just shows his quality as a player.”

138701_hp.jpg

"
Podolski....great signing! Top player! To have that many appearances for Germany you have to be half decent!"

- Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere

<tbody>
</tbody>
Ahead of the move, the 26-year-old has thanked the Koln fans before his summer switch to the Emirates Stadium: “The move to Arsenal provides a great opportunity for me to gain experience in international competitions at a European top club.

“I have made this decision not against Koln but for this great opportunity and the good of my own individual development.

“This was not an easy decision for me at all, as Koln, our fans and the city are something special for me.

“I will always carry Koln in my heart. We need to pool our strengths now and have to be fully focussed on our survival in the Bundesliga.”

The striker, who has notched 43 goals in just 95 games for the Germain international side, spoke of his delight at joining Arsenal on the club's official website: "I’m so happy to be joining Arsenal and to play in the Premier League. Arsenal is one of the top clubs in Europe with a huge history.

"There are many top quality players at Arsenal and the style of football which the team plays is fantastic. I’m proud to become an Arsenal player and am looking forward to playing my first match at Emirates Stadium and doing my best for all the Arsenal fans."

Podolski will stay at Koln for the remainder of the campaign to help their ongoing fight against relegation before moving to England.

Last edited:

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

36687_thumb.jpg

Ze Roberto: I was ignored by Santos
The veteran midfielder is keen to end his playing days in Vila Belmiro, but claims a reluctance on the Peixe's part has forced him to seek other options

180880_thumb.jpg

Borussia Monchengladbach want Luuk de Jong, claims Twente assistant
Die Fohlen have expressed a strong interest in acquiring the services of the Netherlands international, who has been linked with a host of clubs across Europe

178189_thumb.jpg

Arsenal transfer has liberated Podolski, says Koln boss Schafer
The interim coach feels the finalising of the German's move to the Gunners has lifted a heavy burden off the striker's shoulders heading into the crunch clash with Bayern Munich

183361_thumb.jpg

Guangzhou Evergrande confirm €8.5 million deal for Dortmund's Barrios
The Paraguay international very nearly joined Fulham during the January transfer window but he has now accepted a reportedly lucrative four-year contract to move to China

183356_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid want me, confirms Werder Bremen's Wiese
The 30-year-old Germany international will be a free agent at the end of the season and has previously been linked with Inter and AC Milan, as well as Los Blancos

182962_thumb.jpg

Rummenigge: Robben will extend Bayern contract
The former Germany international striker has poured cold water over reports that the Dutchman could be on his way out the door following a scuffle with Franck Ribery

183273_thumb.jpg

Beckenbauer confident Robben will sign Bayern extension
The Germany legend has underlined the Dutchman's importance for FCB, and believes that the winger will sign a new deal at the Bavarian powerhouse

141167_thumb.jpg

Van Buyten hopes to be fit for DFB Pokal and Champions League finals
The experienced Belgian has recently signed a new contract with the Bavarians and has stated he is confident of playing again this season following a broken foot

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guangzhou Evergrande confirm €8.5 million deal for Dortmund's Barrios

The Paraguay international very nearly joined Fulham during the January transfer window but he has now accepted a reportedly lucrative four-year contract to move to China

May 2, 2012 10:40:00 AM

By Mark Doyle

183361hp2.jpg

Guangzhou Evergrande have confirmed the signing of Borussia Dortmund forward Lucas Barrios for a fee of €8.5 million.

The transfer was first mooted in March and the Super League side have now announced that the Paraguay international has penned a four-year contract with the club and will arrive in China on June 1 for a medical.

Barrios played a prominent role in Dortmund's Bundesliga title triumph last year, but has featured only sporadically during the current campaign after slipping behind Robert Lewandowski in the pecking order.

Indeed, the striker had been expected to depart the Signal Iduna Park during the January transfer window but a proposed move to Premier League outfit Fulham collapsed.

However, the 27-year-old Barrios, who hit a hat-trick against Kaiserslautern at the weekend, has now accepted a reportedly lucrative offer to link up with Guangzhou.

The Paraguay international arrived at Dortmund in 2009 for the sum of €4.2m, and has made 82 appearances for BVB in the Bundesliga, netting 39 goals.

Chinese champions Guangzhou currently have their four-man non-Asian foreign quota full, meaning one of Dario Conca, Muriqui, Cleo or Paulao must make way, with local press suggesting the latter.

Guangzhou are currently top of the Super League, one point ahead of second-placed Jiangsu Sainty after eight games. The Chinese outfit are also second in Group H in the Asian Champions League with one game to play.

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

178800_thumb.jpg

Kagawa says transfer decision will come after Pokal final, denies rift with Lewandowski
The rumoured Manchester United target had come under fire in recent days after German media suggested he had accused his Dortmund team-mate of selfishness on the pitch

176511_thumb.jpg

Monchengladbach reportedly looking to sign Claudio Pizarro
The experienced Peruvian hitman was believed to be close to joining Bayern Munich yet it appears the Bavarians have some competition for the striker's signature

182443_thumb.jpg

Huntelaar desperate to finish as Bundesliga's top scorer
The 28-year-old Netherlands international struck twice in the 4-0 victory against Hertha Berlin at the weekend to move one clear of Bayern Munich forward Mario Gomez

183270_thumb.jpg

Dante: You don't have to think about it before joining a team like Bayern
The Brazilian says that he jumped at the opportunity to join the Bavarians, and that he hopes to use his experience to guide the younger players at the club

170755_thumb.jpg

Bayern Munich are still monitoring Giroud, says Heynckes
The German says that his club are tracking the Frenchman, whose agent said that the Allianz Arena would be a fine destination for his client

183273_thumb.jpg

Robben signs new contract with Bayern Munich
Talks over a new deal appeared to have stalled earlier this week but the Netherlands international has now put pen to paper on a two-year extension

183356_thumb.jpg

Official: Hoffenheim announce summer signings of Wiese & Derdiyok
The Bundesliga outfit have secured the services of the Germany international on a free transfer, while luring the striker away from Leverkusen for an undisclosed fee

182465_thumb.jpg

Podolski: I am here to win titles with Arsenal
The German is convinced he has made the right choice in signing for the Gunners, and says the prospect of joining another German club other than Koln was out of the question

172187_thumb.jpg

Muller: It would be an honour if Messi beat my record
The legendary Bayern striker reveals he would be the first to congratulate the Blaugrana forward if his personal best of 67 goals was eclipsed by the Argentine this season

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Muller: It would be an honour if Messi beat my record

The legendary Bayern striker reveals he would be the first to congratulate the Blaugrana forward if his personal best of 67 goals was eclipsed by the Argentine this season

May 2, 2012 4:52:00 PM

By Livio Caferoglu

172187hp2.jpg

Bayern Munich great Gerd Muller does not mind that Barcelona attacker Lionel Messi is on the verge of surpassing his record of 67 goals in a single European season.

The former West Germany striker achieved the historic feat during the 1972-73 campaign with Bayern, and now it looks as if his record will be eclipsed by Messi, who has 65 goals so far this season.

However, Muller insists he bears no grudge towards the Argentine and heaped praise on the diminutive dynamo.

"Technically, Messi is superb. His goals are brilliant. And despite being a genius, he's not a selfish player," Muller said to Mundo Deportivo.

"There have been many great goalscorers. It means a lot that my record has stood for 40 years.

"Records are there to be beaten. I'd be the first to congratulate Messi if he scores 68 goals this season, it'd be an honour."

Messi has the chance to close in on Muller's record against Malaga on Wednesday.

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

172490_thumb.jpg

Klopp: What is nicer in sport than not having to worry about losing?
The former Mainz trainer believes that playing without any pressure is one of the best feelings in football, but refuses to underestimate Saturday's opponents

138518_thumb.jpg

Keshi hopes Sam will accept Nigeria call-up
The Super Eagles coach reveals he has been in contact with the Leverkusen winger, and says that the ball is now in his court

92334_thumb.jpg

Jeremies hosts concert for anti-Bayern band
Die Toten Hosen played a private gig in the basement of the former midfielder's house, despite having featured for the club that the punk group famously dislike

182444_thumb.jpg

Gomez: Bayern go into Champions League final to win it
The prolific striker is determined to end the season on a high by winning both finals his side are in, while stressing that he's not thinking about the top-scorer award

175720_thumb.jpg

Barcelona interested in Alaba - report
The Spanish giants are keen to add a new left-back to their squad in the summer transfer window, and the Austria international has joined Jordi Alba as the prime targets

182465_thumb.jpg

Podolski will be successful at Arsenal, says Littbarski
The former Germany international is confident that the Koln star will be able to live up to the expectations at his new club, and does not blame him for his decision to leave

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga preview: Clubs battle for Europa spots

4 May 2012

12427379220.jpg

Borussia Dortmund may have wrapped up the league title but there is still plenty to play for in the final round of the Bundesliga.The winners of two successive Bundesliga championships will receive their championship plate at home to 12th-placed Freiburg. Seventh-placed Hannover welcome the already relegated Kaiserslautern to AWD-Arena, hoping to secure the final Europa League spot with victory.

Hannover are the only club yet to lose a game at home this season and unbeaten in their three previous encounters against the 2.Bundesliga-bound side.
Hannover may have their destiny in their own hands but Wolfsburg, Werder Bremen and Nuremberg are all ready to pounce on any slip-ups.

Wolfsburg trail Hannover by one-point and make the trip to sixth-placed Stuttgart, having picked up seven points from their last four away games and manager Felix Magath says his side have a chance of playing European football next season.
"We've shown that we belong near the top. If we can play that way again and win, we have a chance of making the Europa League."

Three points behind Hannover are Bremen and Nuremberg, who not only require results to go their way but need to boost their goal difference by three if they are any chance of claiming seventh spot.
Bremen's entertain 2010 runners-up Schalke, who have already sealed third spot and the Champions League berth that goes with it.

However, with Klass-Jan Huntelaar leading the race for the league's top scorer by one goal from Bayern Munich's Mario Gomez, the Dutchman could be a dangerous prospect for Bremen.
The other club vying for seventh spot are Nuremberg, but they face an in-form Bayer Leverkusen outfit at home, who are looking to seal fifth spot ahead of Stuttgart.

Nuremberg have enjoyed an impressive run of late, winning three and drawing two of their last five matches.
At the other end of the table, Cologne and Hertha Berlin are fighting to avoid the same fate as Kaiserslautern, direct relegation. Cologne occupy the relegation play-off place ahead of Hertha and face runners-up Bayern Munich, knowing a win is enough to seal the play-off spot.

However, Bayern will be out to help Gomez find the target and pip Huntelaar to the top of the goal scoring charts.
If Cologne manages a draw at most and Hertha are victorious at home to Hoffenheim, the Berlin club will finish in the play-off spot.The play-off occupant is set to face either Fortuna Dusseldorf or Paderborn.

In other matches, Mainz and Borussia Moenchengladbach meet at the Coface Arena, while Augsburg play host to Hamburg.

DerMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cologne fans respond to relegation by engulfing their stadium in black smoke

<cite class="byline vcard" style="font-style: normal; color: rgb(119, 119, 119); font-size: 11px; display: block; font-family: arial; vertical-align: middle; "></cite><cite class="byline vcard" style="display: block; vertical-align: middle; ">
By Brooks Peck
</cite>
<cite class="byline vcard" style="display: block; vertical-align: middle; ">

By Brooks Peck | Dirty Tackle – <abbr title="2012-05-05T16:56:18Z" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; ">1 hour 13 minutes ago</abbr>
</cite>
<root style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: 16px; "></root>​
610x-13.jpeg

Cologne fans like some lung damage with their relegation. (Reuters)

Cologne's final match of the season started with a nice send-off for Arsenal new boy Lu-Lu-Lu Lukas Podolski. Then they lost 4-1 to Bayern Munich, sealing their relegation and everything turned black. After Thomas Muller scored Bayern's fourth in the 85th minute, Cologne fans started setting off black smoke bombs that prompted the referee to end the match a little early so the players could run for cover. A disappointed Podolski was the last man off. The smoke got thicker and despite the heavy presence of riot police with their itchy pepper spray trigger fingers, the inevitable relegation pitch invasion played out...

610x-14.jpeg

Pepper spray defies gravity. (Getty)

c649eeaefbc46b84715b1389b9e9b25f-getty-510713056.jpeg

The invaders win. (Getty)

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga wrap: Cologne relegated, new record for Dortmund

6 May 2012

12427379950.jpg

Cologne have been relegated from the Bundesliga as Borussia Dortmund set a new record for most points claimed in a single season. Sitting one point ahead of Hertha Berlin in the playoff position and needing a victory to avoid direct relegation, Cologne were comfortably beaten 4-1 at home by runners-up Bayern Munich.

Two goals from German international Thomas Mueller, a Pedro Geromel own goal and an Arjen Robben strike ensured Bayern ended the season on a winning note.
Defeat to Bayern not only saw Cologne players run for safety as fans showed their disapproval but it opened the door for Hertha and the Berlin club earned a place in the relegation playoffs with a 3-1 win over 10-man Hoffenheim.

Hertha had a 2-0 lead courtesy of a brace from Anis Ben-Hatira. Marvin Compper pulled one back for Hoffenheim on 85 minutes before Raffael put the result beyond doubt with the last kick of the game and saw Cologne drop into the relegation zone.
At the Westfalenstadion, Borussia Dortmund comprehensively beat Freiburg 4-0 in front of more than 80,000 spectators to cap off their championship-winning season.

Two goals each from Jakub Blaszczykowski and Robert Lewandowski in the first half saw Dortmund extend their unbeaten run to a record-breaking 28 matches as well as finishing the season on a new record of 81 points.
In the battle for Europa League automatic qualification, a Stefan Kiessling hat-trick at Nurnberg helped Bayer Leverkusen seal the position ahead of Stuttgart.

Dutchman Klaas -Jan Huntelaar won the league's top goal scorer award after hitting the back of the net twice in Schalke's 3-2 victory at Werder Bremen.
Schalke took the lead on 30 minutes thanks to a Julian Draxler goal before former Chelsea striker Claudio Pizarro equalised from the spot, three minutes before the half-time interval.

Huntelaar opened up a two-goal advantage for the visitors in the 65th and 75th minute. Pizarro struck late on to reduce the deficit.
Bremen ended the season in ninth while Schalke had already secured third place and an automatic spot in next season's UEFA Champions League. Dortmund-bound Marco Reus scored twice for Borussia Moenchengladbach as they triumphed 3-0 at 13th-placed Mainz.

Moenchengladbach finished the season in fourth and with a place in the Champions League qualifiers.
Hannover came from behind to defeat Kaiserslautern 2-1 and conserve their unbeaten run at home this season. Pierre De Wit had given Kaiserslautern a seventh-minute lead but an own goal from Alexander Bugera cancelled out the visitors' lead on 38 minutes.

Ivorian striker Didier Ya Konan scored the decisive goal for Hannover with 20 minutes left on the clock.
Augsburg overcame Hamburg 1-0 to conclude their maiden season in the German top flight.

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

171397_thumb.jpg

Hannover closes in on deal for Japanese defender Hiroki Sakai - report
The 22-year-old international garnered worldwide attention following last year's Club World Cup, but appears set to join the Japanese-friendly Bundesliga this summer

184211_thumb.jpg

Koo Ja-Cheol tributes deceased former K-League goalkeeper after Augsburg winner
The South Korea international revealed a message on his underwear which read 'Rest in Peace', which was a tribute one year on from Yoon Ki-Won's shocking passing

184100_thumb.jpg

Podolski admits Koln deserved to be relegated
The Arsenal-bound forward insists his team were simply not good enough to stay in the German top-flight, as he pinpointed their deteriorating form in recent months as a factor

181047_thumb.jpg

Klopp hails record-breakers Dortmund: We made it look easy
The BVB boss was among others basking in the side's glory, as their 4-0 win over Freiburg meant they recorded the highest number of points in a single Bundesliga season

179609_thumb.jpg

Lahm criticises Ukrainian government
Die Mannschaft captain does not approve the country's human rights record and slammed the current regime's treatment of the imprisoned ex-prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko

178372_thumb.jpg

Favre to stay on as Monchengladbach coach
Sporting director Max Eberl confirms the Swiss coach will remain at the helm of the Foals for at least another season after revealing that he will see out the rest of his contract

176848_thumb.jpg

Heynckes: It was important for Bayern Munich to win ahead of the two finals
The former Bayer Leverkusen trainer believes it was imperative for his team to keep their momentum while Koln's boss revealed his disappointment at being relegated

182940_thumb.jpg

Borussia Dortmund break Bundesliga points record with thumping victory over Freiburg
Jurgen Klopp's side have another impressive milestone to add to their collection after dismantling their fellow league side to overtake Bayern's previous tally

175720_thumb.jpg

Don't even bother calling: Bayern's Rummenigge ends Barcelona's interest in Alaba
The Austria international has impressed for the Bavarians this season and has been linked with a switch to Camp Nou; the Allianz Arena outfit are unwilling to consider the option

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

With 81 points in a season, is this Dortmund team the best in Bundesliga history?

BVB set a new record on Saturday, and can now claim to have played the most successful 34 games ever in the German top flight.

May 6, 2012 9:00:00 AM

184080hp2.jpg

ANALYSIS
By Clark Whitney | German Football Editor

Many great teams have played in the Bundesliga over the years. The Bayern and Monchengladbach sides in the 1970s, the Hamburg of the 1980s, the Bremen and Bayern sides of the early and late 1990s, respectively. But in all of Bundesliga history, not one had broken the 80-point barrier... until Saturday.

The Bundesliga title was theirs two weeks ago, but in the final matchday of the season Dortmund earned a 4-0 win against Freiburg that lifted their tally to 81 points on the season, the best tally in the history of the German top flight.

After losing three of their first six games, Jurgen Klopp's side set off on an incredible streak. Winning 23 matches out of their final 28, BVB set a record for fixtures without defeat. Their points tally is three better than that of the previous superlative, earned by the Bayern team of 1998-99. And even correcting for the change in points awarded for a win in 1995-96, the current Dortmund side has two points more than Bayern would have earned in 1971-72, and 1972-73.

Dortmund's unprecedented tally has made them the most successful Bundesliga team in history. But it also prompts the question: is this the best side ever to compete in the German top flight?

The query raised is not one that can be answered with a fact: it is objective, and a very complex one at that. On the one hand, Dortmund's record is the best ever, and it's even more impressive given that Klopp's side had to bounce back from the departure of their best midfielder, Nuri Sahin, in the summer.

It was not easy, as results in the early stage of the season showed. But on the other hand, Dortmund benefited from playing an abbreviated Champions League campaign that ended before Christmas.

KLOPP'S CHAMPIONS VS BUNDESLIGA'S BEST EVER

<tbody>
</tbody>

PWDLFAGDPts
148_48x48.jpg
1971-72 Bayern34247310138+6355*
148_48x48.jpg
1972-73 Bayern34254 59329+6454*
148_48x48.jpg
1998-99 Bayern3424647628+4878
160_48x48.jpg
2011-12 Dortmund
3425638025+5581
160_48x48.jpg
2010-11 Dortmund3423656722+4575

<tbody>
</tbody>
*Based on the modern system (three points for a win), the 1971-72 & 1972-73 Bayern teams would have earned 79 points

The Bayern of 1998-99 had only three fewer points, but it must be considered that the same team also reached the Champions League final. On the whole, that side played four more games than the current BVB during the second half of the season before the final Bundesliga matchday. The Bayern players had more physical and mental fatigue to contend with, and that could have made the difference between 78 and 81 points.

The Bayern of 1971-72 did not compete in the Champions League at all, and finished with a lower points tally than the current Dortmund. However, a year later, Bayern earned 79 points and reached the Champions League semi-final. With 93 goals scored and just 29 conceded, the side absolutely dominated the Bundesliga. And if there was any doubt as to that team's calibre, Bayern won three consecutive European Cups after that season, while players from that squad formed the core of the Germany side that won the 1974 World Cup.

Looking through the names - Maier, Schwarzenbeck, Beckenbauer, Breitner, Hoeness, Rummenigge and Gerd Muller - the Bayern team forty years ago was the best, if not the most successful in a single domestic campaign, the Bundesliga has ever seen. Mats Hummels is not Beckenbauer, and Robert Lewandowski is certainly not Gerd Muller: there is no comparison in terms of individual class.

Like the Bayern team of the early 1970s, Dortmund now have had two enormously successful seasons: between 2010-11 and 2011-12, they have averaged 78 points per year. Klopp and company can celebrate another brilliant campaign, and the records it brought. However, the jury is still out as to whether they have class on the order of legendary status. Continued tallies of 75 or more points in the Bundesliga, coupled with success in the Champions League could change all this. But for now, it is too early to call.

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

borussiaxbayern_110412d.jpg

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WI-pG8y5zq0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

15982452dd55f32ae2323d658f9a53275d5ed4e5.jpg

160785_thumb.jpg

Hoeness : Boo hoo hoo... Hard to digest.

All Bundesliga champions since 1964

2012 Borussia Dortmund
2011 Borussia Dortmund
2010 FC Bayern München
2009 VfL Wolfsburg
2008 FC Bayern München
2007 VfB Stuttgart
2006 FC Bayern München
2005 FC Bayern München
2004 SV Werder Bremen
2003 FC Bayern München
2002 Borussia Dortmund
2001 FC Bayern München
2000 FC Bayern München
1999 FC Bayern München
1998 1. FC Kaiserslautern
1997 FC Bayern München
1996 Borussia Dortmund
1995 Borussia Dortmund
1994 FC Bayern München
1993 SV Werder Bremen
1992 VfB Stuttgart
1991 1. FC Kaiserslautern
1990 FC Bayern München
1989 FC Bayern München
1988 SV Werder Bremen
1987 FC Bayern München
1986 FC Bayern München
1985 FC Bayern München
1984 VfB Stuttgart
1983 Hamburger SV
1982 Hamburger SV
1981 FC Bayern München
1980 FC Bayern München
1979 Hamburger SV
1978 1. FC Köln
1977 Borussia Mönchengladbach
1976 Borussia Mönchengladbach
1975 Borussia Mönchengladbach
1974 FC Bayern München
1973 FC Bayern München
1972 FC Bayern München
1971 Borussia Mönchengladbach
1970 Borussia Mönchengladbach
1969 FC Bayern München
1968 1. FC Nürnberg
1967 Eintracht Braunschweig
1966 TSV 1860 München
1965 SV Werder Bremen
1964 1. FC Köln

Last edited:

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

170061_thumb.jpg

No contact from Chelsea, claims Schurrle
Germany international attacker hints that he could be interested in a move to Stamford Bridge but has received no communication from the Champions League finalists

154258_thumb.jpg

Bayern versus Dortmund is like Real Madrid against Barcelona, says Weidenfeller
The BVB goalkeeper believes that the rivalry between the German title holders and the Champions League finalists can be compared to the one between both Spanish giants

184248_thumb.jpg

'Arsenal the best fit for me' - Podolski reveals reasons for joining Arsene Wenger's side
German international admitted he was not short of offers after deciding he wanted to leave Koln but believes the Gunners were the standout option because of their reputation

184445_thumb.jpg

Ashkan Dejagah will likely miss Uzbekistan qualifier, says Iran team doctor
The Wolfsburg striker strained his hamstring last week and now it appears the injury will rule him out of Team Melli's opening World Cup qualifying fixture

179164_thumb.jpg

Lasogga suffers cruciate ligament tear
Hertha Berlin have been dealt a huge blow with the news that the Germany Under-21 striker sustained the injury against Hoffenheim and will now miss his side's relegation play-off

170061_thumb.jpg

Chelsea wanted Schurrle last year, claims Voller
The former Germany international has revealed that the Premier League side attempted to sign the attacker in 2011, and added that they won't let go of the forward this summer

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayern versus Dortmund is like Real Madrid against Barcelona, says Weidenfeller

The BVB goalkeeper believes that the rivalry between the German title holders and the Champions League finalists can be compared to the one between both Spanish giants

May 7, 2012 9:40:00 AM

By Stefan Coerts

154258hp2.jpg

Roman Weidenfeller believes that the rivalry between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munichis of similar proportions as the heated relationship of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Dortmund and Bayern have dominated German football in the past three years as BVB have won two consecutive titles after the Bavarian club's successful 2009-10 campaign, and both sides meet again in the final of the DFB Pokal on May 12.

"This is a battle between equals, each team has achieved something great. Bayern have reached the Champions League final against Chelsea, while we have won the Bundesliga title," Weidenfeller stated to Kicker.

"This is like Real Madrid versus Barcelona. We don't feel superior to Bayern after four straight wins. There's only conviction. We still have great respect for Bayern."

The DFB Pokal final takes place in Berlin on May 12 and kicks off at 20.00CET.

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

118103_thumb.jpg

Hamburg set to sign Adler & Rudnevs, reveals Arnesen
The Bundesliga club's sporting director has confirmed that he is close to bringing the duo to the Imtech Arena in the summer to help achieve a top-half finish next season

170474_thumb.jpg

Giroud confirms Bayern Munich talks
The France international has conceded that there has been contact with the Champions League finalists, and added that he would be open to a move to the Bavarians

160777_thumb.jpg

Hoeness: DFB Pokal final as important for Bayern as Champions League
The Bavarian club's president has insisted that the German cup is a significant trophy for Jupp Heynckes' men, and is determined to settle "unfinished business" with BVB

149863_thumb.jpg

Japan international Hiroshi Kiyotake to sign with Nurnberg - report
The gifted attacking midfielder is the latest Japanese to agree on a Bundesliga move this summer, following Japan Under-23 team-mate Hiroki Sakai's likely transfer to Hannover

170204_thumb.jpg

Timo Hildebrand signs two-year extension at Schalke
German goalkeeper, whose deal with the Gelsenkirchen outfit was due to run out in June, has accepted a two-year extension to provide backup in a key position

131185_thumb.jpg

Boulahrouz dismisses Eredivisie comeback
The Netherlands international, whose contract with VfB Stuttgart is to run out in June, shrugs off possibility of returning to play in the Dutch league

166610_thumb.jpg

Juanfran: Diego wants Atletico Madrid stay
The midfielder believes that the Brazilian playmaker is not interested in returning to the Bundesliga this summer, but reckons it will be hard for the club to buy him outright

178800_thumb.jpg

Shinji Kagawa's future remains undecided, claims agent
The player's representative was adamant that no deal had been struck with any team for the services of his player after a series of faked quotes spread across the internet

180209_thumb.jpg

There is no replacement for Raul, claims Stevens
The veteran striker is now set to leave the German side in the summer, and the 58-year-old coach believes the Spaniard will be dearly missed

170796_thumb.jpg

Bayern Munich end pursuit of Drobny - report
The Champions League finalists are looking to add another goalkeeper to their squad this summer, but have reportedly opted against signing the Hamburg man