• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Best Steak in Town

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
fat and marble on beef is good.

Yes yes yes this piece of Kyoto aged beef I had 3 weeks ago was fantastic

lXZeDQ2.jpg

KCv3PQT.jpg

mei mei very friendly too
QpEefka.jpg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
All good reataurants have aged beef of least 20 days. Aged beef is much tastier and the longer the period better and thus more expensive. Oz has quite a number with varied

Chilled is naturally is the cheapest next to frozen of the same grade.

talking about dry aged beef, anyone here tried Skirt (at W hotel sentosa)?

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I reckon the butcher left more fat on the steaks where as Canadian butchers will trim it off. There were 10 of us. The next morning...grease on the floor. Overflow. For me ...it was shocking

Hmm grass is mostly carbs? So more fat?

Aussie not so cold why the cows make so much fat?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Next time at the supermarket...ask the butcher where the beef comes from. Cowtown not supporting local produce?? Just like Earls fiasco... switching to US beef
Earls already gave up this Initiative. They relented and went back to Alberta beef

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I reckon the butcher left more fat on the steaks where as Canadian butchers will trim it off. There were 10 of us. The next morning...grease on the floor. Overflow. For me ...it was shocking

Even between Alberta beef There are different grades. AAA AA. What's the difference? Also Angus and non Angus?

I am not a food connoisseur.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
20% of Canada beef imports come from Oz which says a lot. Canada follows the US grading system and is hooked into the US supply chain and therefore 70% of Canadian beef production goes to US. For economic and cosmetic reasons, the US consumers prefers grain fed at feedlot which means whiter fats which is more more appealing to US consumers. So much of Canadian beef production is grain fed. Grass fed can be seen by the yellowish marbelling and more expensive to produce.

Note the source of high end restaurants meat supply - 3 countries dominate - US, Argentina and Oz. There are exceptions for speciality restaurants.

Here is a good way to experiment - sample various cattle breeds, grass and grain fed, grades, etc. it will be a delightful journey. Don’t bring family but like minded friends. For Japanese Wagyu breeds do it separately as its on our class of its own and expensive. Same with sampling aged beef over 90 days. For this form sampling, don’t take wine, good beer or whiskey will be fine. Wine especially when they are good lingers on. Thought they are excellent when having your usual meals.

Wah lau. Keep taking photo of your partner chest.

For some reason the supermarket in Calgary stock Australian lamb and not Alberta lamb. Dunno why leh.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason why Wagyu and all expensive cuts and grades are expensive are based on higher fat content. The entire concept of marbeling is for beef to have fat to taste better.

Beef mince and diced meat are for salads and for stir fry and have little fat and thus cheaper.

Butchers will trim fat for chicken, lamb etc because they have excess fat but not for beef steak cuts.

Never ask a Butcher to trim any form of steak cuts, as you actually paying for the fat and therefore more expensive. Just ask for lean cut as it will be cheaper as they have it for the health and price conscious folks.

By the way the fats gives it the flavour and helps cook the meat.

Never ever mention “lean steak” in a discussion on beef. It generally does not exist when it comes to beef unless it’s a health outlet. It’s like talking about weight watchers ice-cream and their variety of flavours and how good they are which is a oxymoron.

By the way grass fed beef has less fat as they are in free roaming pastures and therefore their meat is slightly tougher due to exercise and movement. Feedlot is a restricted pen so animal movement is minimal and fat is also therefore higher. Wagyu beef is also feedlot but feed variety is complex - as in designer feed and now famous beer.

Grass fed and wide ranging beef which is tougher has a ready market in Asian countries as curry and rendang cooking style with longer period calls for tougher meat.

Aussie grass fed beef are horrible. Too gamey ,to beefy for my liking. Was in OZ a few years ago. My relatives treated me to a 'barbie'. Shocked to see the amount of fat on the steaks

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Love the stuff. Only advise from friends is never buy online in Singapore - too many bad experience. Can’t decide which is better, the oysters or the romp or both.

To digress from this carnivorous thread, spotted zinc (oysters). Aids post dinner romp :p:biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To digress from this carnivorous thread, spotted zinc (oysters). Aids post dinner romp :p:biggrin:
when it cums to oysters (another of my favorite subjects as huge oyster farms are at tomales bay) size matters and small ones are the best. we would have picnic by tomales bay and buy bushels in lots of 50, although i can eat 69. small ones are cheaper but they go first as they are more delicate and tastiest. bring own ice box, shucking knives, lemons, towels, and wine. can romp in bushes at point reyes or on beach at francis drake bay afterwards.
ea43d650bcd881f6373a84d430ac0f4b.jpg

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when it cums to oysters (another of my favorite subjects as huge oyster farms are at tomales bay) size matters and small ones are the best. we would have picnic by tomales bay and buy bushels in lots of 50, although i can eat 69. small ones are cheaper but they go first as they are more delicate and tastiest. bring own ice box, chucking knives, lemons, towels, and wine. can romp in bushes at point reyes or on beach at francis drake bay afterwards.
ea43d650bcd881f6373a84d430ac0f4b.jpg
Nah, Siam Lor Oysters Da best! 69 baht for 6.9 oyster. go with 6.9% alc. beer da best!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah... Based on my crazy oyster tasting crusade in Sydney some years ago. Smaller oysters are definitely sweeter.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
brut vs. beer. no fight. btw, just finished up my collection of 2006 bordeaux. last bottle was opened yesterday on new year’s eve. 6.9 french wineries. 6.9 cases gone. unlike liquor, cannot save them over 12 years. otherwise they turn. brought one back to sg for you but no chance to dine and wine. next time new bordeaux collection. hny!
Had a late for dinner on New Year's day at the Wolfgang's again

Started with a beer for me and a glass of Taittinger for my partner and ordered a Babaresca at the same time for the lamb that we were planing to have that evening

An then came the starter, french oysters
vYA4kIQ.jpg

Sweet
nAsvMQF.jpg

Followed with chopped salad with Greek cheese, this is so simple yet enjoyable
ZgE68Bj.jpg

Then came the lobster bisque, one of the best I've had
K6DNVDr.jpg

By 10.15pm its time for the main course which is the Colorado lamb, my first time having American lamb but before that the side dishes - asparagus from Israel this is sweet to the taste first time I have this
b8nNkCo.jpg

Saute mushrooms
3kqY1Bd.jpg

Mesh potato
Y6nHiYQ.jpg

The Barbaresco of course
XmhB0P9.jpg

Frilled perfectly a little charred on the outside
hW9uK3C.jpg

pCKqVJW.jpg

Medium rare on the inside
Ibn4rYX.jpg

As mentioned this is the first time I have American lamb somehow after this experience we still prefers the NZ lamb

Finished off the dinner
hOeUJyA.jpg

Happy New Year

Wah lau, take your partner shopping and buy her another top lah. Still wearing the same lacy white blouse? Let her wash it lah.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nah, Siam Lor Oysters Da best! 69 baht for 6.9 oyster. go with 6.9% alc. beer da best!
there's nothing like shucking your own oysters. but seems like siam lor oysters should have more flavors, from rich minerals, deposits (and human waste) of warm waters and the tropics. nah, when it cums to oysters i prefer pristine cooler waters away from civilization and pollution. :p
6a00d8341c630a53ef0162ff5a0b5f970d-600wi

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Wah lau, take your partner shopping and buy her another top lah. Still wearing the same lacy white blouse? Let her wash it lah.

Aiyo these photos same dinner as the other post la its the same dinner and she only wore it once. This trip to Singapore so much shopping and I am sure you know from reading my posts I am not those kiam siap bf hor like this photo in Paragon here you see 3 new pairs became hers

Photo 4-1-18, 12 54 28 AM.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

there's nothing like shucking your own oysters. but seems like siam lor oysters should have more flavors, from rich minerals, deposits (and human waste) of warm waters and the tropics. nah, when it cums to oysters i prefer pristine cooler waters away from civilization and pollution. :p

No way I'll have Thai oysters fresh

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyo these photos same dinner as the other post la its the same dinner and she only wore it once. This trip to Singapore so much shopping and I am sure you know from reading my posts I am not those kiam siap bf hor like this photo in Paragon here you see 3 new pairs became hers

View attachment 37010
yes, that's the right way to buy shoes. get 3 pairs and rotate among them over 6.9 days. shoes can last longer. all my shoes cum in 3 pairs. same with socks, but i have 6.9 pairs of the same colored socks for daily rotation during winter. they have lasted 6.9 years so far.