• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Best Steak in Town

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was a great experience dinning in the new beef restaurant Wolfang's Steakhouse Singapore in the Intercontinental Hotel in Robertson Quay

You need to make reservation cos its always packed
zCrVPAx.jpg

If early you could have a nice drink at their bar
OUm1deJ.jpg

OUm1deJ.jpg

Restaurant has a very good collection of wine and Champagne which are reasonably priced
HyVH3S3.jpg

Ordered a bubbly to kick off the evening
90wiNlv.jpg

pU4Og1T.jpg

At the same time opened a Tignanello early for the beef, need a little time to breathe. This is one of the better blends that I like from Italy that is predominantly sangiovese
ZJUjvJa.jpg

bLU9OD9.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Started with some seafood

Kgv0BxR.jpg

Giant prawns, Maine lobster, crab meat
xF8EO0O.jpg

Fabulous
RmxpgXJ.jpg

Rocket
TYyXXVd.jpg

Finished the Champagne time to start the red
YC7NXxx.jpg

Porterhouse is being served, good 900g of it. The beef is firstly cut in New York then air flown to Singapore and aged in-house for at least 28 days reducing the weight by 30%.
5kG42o1.jpg

Oa7G3Vt.jpg

Ordered creamed spinach and baked potato, both are heavenly, the creamed spinach is cooked without cream nor milk, how its done is a wonder.
8g08yH0.jpg

Don't know what to say except I want to have it again tonight if I can
lNxxt6O.jpg

f7tV2Ax.jpg

Highly recommended

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nice food, wine and great ambience.
But how many of us average Joe Sillyporeans can afford to dine in such a restaurant?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nice food, wine and great ambience.
But how many of us average Joe Sillyporeans can afford to dine in such a restaurant?

Froggy is able to spend that sort of money for good steak thanks to the brilliant PAP leadership over Singapore. There are a lot of sinkies who can afford to eat at such places. You need to work hard and work smart.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Froggy is able to spend that sort of money for good steak thanks to the brilliant PAP leadership over Singapore. There are a lot of sinkies who can afford to eat at such places. You need to work hard and work smart.

Please lah I don't have to thank PAP instead I musty thank my Thai boss for charging this meal to him.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
froggy, this one can fight with Morton's?

Was at Mortons mid this year what a great disappointment.

1. The legendary lychee martini even my lady companion complained its like water tasteless
2. I ordered a double gin tonic saw the bartender poured only one shot and confronted him
3. The beef was overcooked i mean really over cooked this is sacrilegious

Paying $800 for that meal was an insult to me. No more.

Wolfgang everything was fantastic.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was at Mortons mid this year what a great disappointment.

1. The legendary lychee martini even my lady companion complained its like water tasteless
2. I ordered a double gin tonic saw the bartender poured only one shot and confronted him
3. The beef was overcooked i mean really over cooked this is sacrilegious

Paying $800 for that meal was an insult to me. No more.

Wolfgang everything was fantastic.
morton's is not great. asked for medium rare and they served me medium. every piece of steak is overcooked one notch up. it's lack of kitchen discipline where steak watcher is supposed to watch over every steak with care, but they cook so many steaks at one go and they lose track. for me, the drill is 600-degree f to preheat grill, 2-inch cut of filet mignon on each side for 69 seconds for rare and 2 minutes each side for medium rare. morton's use a pan to sear fillet, stick it in oven for a few minutes, then grill it for grill marks (too much cooking). for ribeye, as it's a thinner cut (thickness of 1.5-inch is perfect) than fillet mignon so must grill with 1/5 less time. with bone-in, same grill time as filet mignon as bone on ribeye has marrow that cools the temperature than non-bone ribeye. i sear the fatty sides too to char the fat. every piece of good steak must be prepared with care and grilled to perfection, i.e. individual attention as temperature and timing are everything. occasionally when it's too cold outside, would sear steak on preheated iron cast skillet (only compromise i would make). otherwise, it's grill only as fat and juice from beef can simmer the beef in skillet and change the temperature and timing.

end cut of a tenderloin roll grilled rare for puppy - no salt, no pepper, just steak on grill. inside was all bloody. must cut to small pieces so he won’t choke on chunks especially beef is cooked. he devoured all in 69 seconds.
865B5288-AAE3-4AFB-BCC6-D44A8FCAED8B.jpeg

grilled fillet of sockeye salmon for puppy. appetizer.
9739653F-8357-43E9-B4E6-6BDA5BAE2A34.jpeg

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Started with some seafood

Kgv0BxR.jpg

Giant prawns, Maine lobster, crab meat
xF8EO0O.jpg

Fabulous
RmxpgXJ.jpg

Rocket
TYyXXVd.jpg

Finished the Champagne time to start the red
YC7NXxx.jpg

Porterhouse is being served, good 900g of it. The beef is firstly cut in New York then air flown to Singapore and aged in-house for at least 28 days reducing the weight by 30%.
5kG42o1.jpg

Oa7G3Vt.jpg

Ordered creamed spinach and baked potato, both are heavenly, the creamed spinach is cooked without cream nor milk, how its done is a wonder.
8g08yH0.jpg

Don't know what to say except I want to have it again tonight if I can
lNxxt6O.jpg

f7tV2Ax.jpg

Highly recommended

You let someone cut your steak for you? I never do that. I want the steak in one piece on my plate and I cut it myself. Keeps the juice much better. Wolfgangs is crap, its just resting on its reputation. Better to serve Moet or Cristal instead of Perrier Joult and Tignanello is way overpriced. Just because its from Tuscany, they can charge the world for it. Its only a blend. Better to have a Napa Cabernet then this shit.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
would normally avoid restaurants for steaks and grill my own. but on occasions such as travel or rainy days would only go to alexander steak house in cupertino for steaks. they know their steaks, and the average price per steak is us$69. plus wine, appetizers and desserts, tab can be us$696 for 4.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You let someone cut your steak for you? I never do that. I want the steak in one piece on my plate and I cut it myself. Keeps the juice much better. Wolfgangs is crap, its just resting on its reputation. Better to serve Moet or Cristal instead of Perrier Joult and Tignanello is way overpriced. Just because its from Tuscany, they can charge the world for it. Its only a blend. Better to have a Napa Cabernet then this shit.
yup, i’ll never have someone precut the steak for me. it must be served to me piping hot with smoke and steam, like 6.9 seconds straight from grill. that way i can keep temperature on beef warm and juices intact while only cutting up a small piece at a time. those who cut up their entire steaks into pieces before eating will have 69% of their beef cold in less than 69 seconds. i suppose it’s a choice if a diner asks the waiter. i’ll never ask the waiter to do that, but if the steak cums cut up without my permission i’ll reject it.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
yup, i’ll never have someone precut the steak for me. it must be served to me piping hot with smoke and steam, like 6.9 seconds straight from grill. that way i can keep temperature on beef warm and juices intact while only cutting up a small piece at a time. those who cut up their entire steaks into pieces before eating will have 69% of their beef cold in less than 69 seconds. i suppose it’s a choice if a diner asks the waiter. i’ll never ask the waiter to do that, but if the steak cums cut up without my permission i’ll reject it.

That's exactly right, I am very surprised knowledgeable foodie like Froggy allows the steak to be cut up for him. He must be some guy of mama boy, can't cut his own food. For me, its a case of morons going to expensive restaurant and ruining the complete experience of the steak by having it cut up before being served to them. Might as well ask for ketchup on the steak. Geez.
U can also tell the steak is cut up into portions that are too big. He will have to cut it again to bite size.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's exactly right, I am very surprised knowledgeable foodie like Froggy allows the steak to be cut up for him. He must be some guy of mama boy, can't cut his own food. For me, its a case of morons going to expensive restaurant and ruining the complete experience of the steak by having it cut up before being served to them. Might as well ask for ketchup on the steak. Geez.
U can also tell the steak is cut up into portions that are too big. He will have to cut it again to bite size.
for asian lady partner to share the steak perhaps? asian ladies are not good with steak knives and forks unless they dine on steaks regularly. moreover i’ll keep big bladed sharp serrated knives from asian women if possible. they can easily snap and use them on their partners spontaneously.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Have to admit it’s my mistake about the precut meat. My first time there and as I did not specify not to cut when it arrived I just took it and didn’t want to make a fuss.

Indeed if you cut your own it’s better especially a big piece of meat like this. A few times I had the la bistecca in Florence it comes uncut and at 1.4kg it really cannot be precut.

Thanks @Papsmearer and @eatshitndie for the reminder though.

As for the wine I think it’s a matter of preference and it’s price is immaterial

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
morton's is not great. asked for medium rare and they served me medium. every piece of steak is overcooked one notch up. it's lack of kitchen discipline where steak watcher is supposed to watch over every steak with care, but they cook so many steaks at one go and they lose track. for me, the drill is 600-degree f to preheat grill, 2-inch cut of filet mignon on each side for 69 seconds for rare and 2 minutes each side for medium rare.

I don't think they really care.

Their chefs are probably cheap part timers or ITE graduates. Throw the meat onto the sizzler, cook until the buzzer rings, flip it around, repeat and serve.

Why would anyone pay so much for that sort of steak? You can get similar steaks at Ashton's or some hawker western stall. You are overpaying for the concept of fine dining. The food is still prepared in the same sort of kitchen like Aston's.