• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Best Steak in Town

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..The good steakhouses however have 2 things going for them - commercial grills and broilers that generate high temp plus the selection of steaks from selective suppliers.
yeah we know we're missing out on the flame grill flavour. pan frying can sometimes result in the steak becoming oily. a friend has recently bought a home use sou vide module. we're planning of sou viding (?) steak then searing it to finish off. Can't wait to play with that...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, must give it a try.

yeah we know we're missing out on the flame grill flavour. pan frying can sometimes result in the steak becoming oily. a friend has recently bought a home use sou vide module. we're planning of sou viding (?) steak then searing it to finish off. Can't wait to play with that...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't see too much Canadian beef in singapore. Canadian seafood yes. Lots of stuff like dungeness crab, salmon, oysters, lobster, etc are from Canada.
sg market may be dominated by aussie beef. cheaperer, fasterer, nearerer. but arsetralia climate not great for cattle. kiwi climate is betterer.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
talking about dry aged beef, anyone here tried Skirt (at W hotel sentosa)?
this is dry aging of a bone-in ribeye rack (right). meat will turn dark and exterior will be moldy. recommend grill from rare to medium rare. anything over is a waste of the steak. restaurant should carve from dry aged rack before grilling, not precut rack then dry age as end cuts on rack are dry and dark while mid cuts are still red. i've done this like over 69 times working with chefs and high end meat shops. that's where one learns all the secrets. chefs would tell me it's less costly to buy whole rack of grass fed beef and dry age on your own. you'll need a spare dry age fridge at home to do that. i have one in the garage as i need to vent the air flow. must not park vehicles in garage when doing that.
122.jpg

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I eat Canadian beef every week. Shiok! Steaks best to grill it yourself.

Life is good in Canada. Sinkies will not understand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Had a late for dinner on New Year's day at the Wolfgang's again

Started with a beer for me and a glass of Taittinger for my partner and ordered a Babaresca at the same time for the lamb that we were planing to have that evening

An then came the starter, french oysters
vYA4kIQ.jpg

Sweet
nAsvMQF.jpg

Followed with chopped salad with Greek cheese, this is so simple yet enjoyable
ZgE68Bj.jpg

Then came the lobster bisque, one of the best I've had
K6DNVDr.jpg

By 10.15pm its time for the main course which is the Colorado lamb, my first time having American lamb but before that the side dishes - asparagus from Israel this is sweet to the taste first time I have this
b8nNkCo.jpg

Saute mushrooms
3kqY1Bd.jpg

Mesh potato
Y6nHiYQ.jpg

The Barbaresco of course
XmhB0P9.jpg

Frilled perfectly a little charred on the outside
hW9uK3C.jpg

pCKqVJW.jpg

Medium rare on the inside
Ibn4rYX.jpg

As mentioned this is the first time I have American lamb somehow after this experience we still prefers the NZ lamb

Finished off the dinner
hOeUJyA.jpg

Happy New Year

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Wah lau. Keep taking photo of your partner chest.

For some reason the supermarket in Calgary stock Australian lamb and not Alberta lamb. Dunno why leh.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ok ok ok this is not related to steak however got to do with beef.

Last meal in Singapore, lunch at PS Cafe in Paragon (waiting for the rain to stop)

rmkjHGj.jpg

flEndGy.jpg

2HI0M0W.jpg

A simple wine for a simple afternoon
wzkOKLA.jpg

The delicious salad
L34Odyc.jpg

Great burger
p5l0jAN.jpg

Juicy medium burger, we both enjoyed so much while waiting for the rain to stop to go to the airport
mBiF5DB.jpg

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best Canadian beef is Alberta beef. Ah Lion will agree with me

Strangely one of the best steaks I’ve had was at Blue Olive in Pattaya 3 years ago. I was told by the owner that the meat is Canadian and chilled, not frozen, all the way to his restaurant which he imports and supply to restaurants and homes.

@eatshitndie do you have any comment about Canadian beef and steaks?

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most Canadian cattle are feed with grass and grains. Grass alone will not provide enough calories to keep the cattle warm and gain weight during winter. Please note the difference between grass fed and grass finished fed and grain fed and grain finished fed.. Finished fed means the cattle are fed exclusively grain or grass for final 2 to 3 months prior slaughter

Thank you. I remembered the one I had was grass-fed only. Should go there again soon.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Ok ok ok this is not related to steak however got to do with beef.

Last meal in Singapore, lunch at PS Cafe in Paragon (waiting for the rain to stop)

rmkjHGj.jpg

flEndGy.jpg

2HI0M0W.jpg

A simple wine for a simple afternoon
wzkOKLA.jpg

The delicious salad
L34Odyc.jpg

Great burger
p5l0jAN.jpg

Juicy medium burger, we both enjoyed so much while waiting for the rain to stop to go to the airport
mBiF5DB.jpg
Wah lau that last shot......again of her chest and with two big half buns some more! You must be horny lah.

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aussie grass fed beef are horrible. Too gamey ,to beefy for my liking. Was in OZ a few years ago. My relatives treated me to a 'barbie'. Shocked to see the amount of fat on the steaks

sg market may be dominated by aussie beef. cheaperer, fasterer, nearerer. but arsetralia climate not great for cattle. kiwi climate is betterer.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aussie grass fed beef are horrible. Too gamey ,to beefy for my liking. Was in OZ a few years ago. My relatives treated me to a 'barbie'. Shocked to see the amount of fat on the steaks
stressed from heat and hoofing around too much. may have to escape probing dicks of horny aussie cowboys. outback is crap.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hmm grass is mostly carbs? So more fat?

Aussie not so cold why the cows make so much fat?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hmm grass is mostly carbs? So more fat?

Aussie not so cold why the cows make so much fat?
fat and marble on beef is good. like kobe beef imported from jp. those steers seldom move out of their shelter. suspended like vegetables 69% of the year.

kobe+beef.jpg

even their filet mignon has so much marble. filet mignon and tenderloin are supposed to be lean but tender. look at the ribeye below. for me the spinalis dorsi on the ribeye is the best. if you are an accomplished steak aficionado, you'll know what the spinalis dorsi is.
wagyu_sampler.jpg

if anyone can point out the spinalis dorsi on the ribeye, you have my respect. and then there are sinkies who have expensive kobe ribeyes with the spinalis dorsi removed. twits. hopefully no twit is going to bring up porterhouse again. not even close. wahahaha.

Last edited: