• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Audi and VW Cars

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
maybe the import tax the reason why singapore car ownership so expensive, tax is 110% of the value of the car?

since u in indo, maybe u can look at daihastsu, made in indonesia, so should be cheaper there. the terios which based on toyota rush shd be useful if u let your indo maid to drive. hahaha.... i seems to remember seeing daihastsu pickup in the 70s/80s at kampong, i wonder do they still make pickup.

Import tax in Thailand is higher than Singapore I believe its like 150%. When I got my GS300 it was $186k and my partner in Thailand got his for $220k (this is for 300cc, current 270cc is lower in import tax due to lower cc combine with lower horsepower, yes Thailand tax its cars accorsding to horsepower too). Due to higher COE now Singapore's Lexus is more ex than Thailand.

:p I don't have Indon maid yet la. Yes Daihatsu still make "pickup" and the model is Grandmax. Looks terrible.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Import tax in Thailand is higher than Singapore I believe its like 150%. When I got my GS300 it was $186k and my partner in Thailand got his for $220k (this is for 300cc, current 270cc is lower in import tax due to lower cc combine with lower horsepower, yes Thailand tax its cars accorsding to horsepower too). Due to higher COE now Singapore's Lexus is more ex than Thailand.

:p I don't have Indon maid yet la. Yes Daihatsu still make "pickup" and the model is Grandmax. Looks terrible.

Gran max lah, without the d. it name in spore is Extol.

it cannot consider as a pick up lah, more like a small van with it back chop off and replace by a flatbed.

maybe the made in indonesia Ford Ranger is something up your alley, abt S$34K, not sure double cab or single cab.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Gran max lah, without the d. it name in spore is Extol.

it cannot consider as a pick up lah, more like a small van with it back chop off and replace by a flatbed.

Ok yes you're right. When I first came to Indonesia 2 months ago and wanted to buy delivery vehicle they recommended me pickup truck with names like Diahatsu and Suzuki I was shock because I came from Thailand and not heard of these two brands making pickups. When I saw them I almost laugh until fall down.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok yes you're right. When I first came to Indonesia 2 months ago and wanted to buy delivery vehicle they recommended me pickup truck with names like Diahatsu and Suzuki I was shock because I came from Thailand and not heard of these two brands making pickups. When I saw them I almost laugh until fall down.

suzuki pickup? shd be the same as daihatsu type, small van with flatbed. spore call suzuki every.

how? fancy the ford ranger?

now spore also got new brand for pickup, chevolet, cost $120k+ for double cab version.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
suzuki pickup? shd be the same as daihatsu type, small van with flatbed. spore call suzuki every.

how? fancy the ford ranger?

now spore also got new brand for pickup, chevolet, cost $120k+ for double cab version.

I think the new Ford Ranger is very nice.

Chevy pickup truck Colorado is actually same as my Isuzu D-Max made by Isuzu only difference is the face. Inside generally is all the same. Even the headlights are very similar.

Lamps
04247b8d.jpg

My truck

Chevrolet-Colorado.jpg

Side
86d012be-1.jpg

Chevrolet-Colorado-Thailand-April-2012.jpg

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

On the subject of pickups....anyone remembered the mitsubishi storm? About a decade ago it was hijackers favorite vehicle both in Malaysia and Thailand....the most frequently stolen vehicle on both sides of the border.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the subject of pickups....anyone remembered the mitsubishi storm? About a decade ago it was hijackers favorite vehicle both in Malaysia and Thailand....the most frequently stolen vehicle on both sides of the border.

huh? the L200 popular vehicle to steal?

Pajero was popular, my msian friend's father was carjacked in it. lucky the carjackers didnt harm him. that was in the 90s.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
It isn't just the electricals. The alternator on my Beemer was secured with RUBBER clamps. It helped kill the noise and vibration levels when the car was brand new. After 18 months, they disintegrated. They had to be replaced every 12 months thereafter at 4 x $79 each.

The Germans simply don't think things through. The ultimate driving machine isn't designed to be the ultimate over the long term.

German automakers plan to make as much money if not more from servicing their cars and selling parts than they actually make from selling a new car. That is why simple parts are designed to fail so that you have to go back to the dealer to order parts which they make a profit off. The oil pan drain lug on my Bimmer was made of metal so soft that the threads wore out after a few years. Finally, one mechanic had to drill the nut out because they could nto remove it. I have never seen such a crap before, than I realised that Bimmer did this deliberately to earn more money.

japanese makers pride themselves on the reliability of their cars and rely on this to generate new sales. Big diff in philiosphies.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I always wonder why people don't import turbo charges or super charged cars as well as rotary engine cars. All these cars have smaller cc and produce much more HPs. For example, A 1.3 litre Mazda RX-8 rotary wankel engine can produce up to 238 hps. that must be a good way to get around all the CC related COEs.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always wonder why people don't import turbo charges or super charged cars as well as rotary engine cars.

Such engines are normally noisier and less refined. Especially with Singapore, a higher HP would not get you much faster but a higher torque might.

That is why in Singapore, the popular Bemee engines are the naturally aspirated engines with a very flat torque curve that promotes quick acceleration from standstill which is what is required by most drivers. Overtaking at speed at expressways can also be done with the torque that is in reserve in these engines.

A high HP really comes in if you need to drive at close to 200 kmph and above, not at 90 kmph speed limits or even at 120 kmph that some drivers do when no one is looking.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Talking to SamLeong about cars is like "discussing music with cows". All those out there who make hell lot of noise about poor reliability of conti cars - just ignore them, the last time they drove a conti car was probably 1985.

You can chose to drive a very reliable Toyota/Lexus - it is safe but lacks style and lifeless. It is like marrying the last virgin in your village.

Or you can choose to drive a hot Bemeer, Audi or Porsche - it has some reliability issues (except BMW 5 series from the previous generation which had a lot of issues) but by and large it is tolerable. The sales figures say it all. Again you can chose to believe the world is full of idiots and you are the only smart guy :cool:

Hot bimmer? where in SIngapore can u find a hot bimmer? Look around u in singapore, most BMW 5 series are sold with a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine!! recent models have a turbo charged engine, but even at 240HP, This makes the car way underpowered for such a heavy car. It should have a 4 litre V8.

In singapore, a 184hp 2 litre engine is mated to the 3 series and this already making it underpowered. In north america for example, you cannot buy a 2 litre normally aspirated BMW 3 series. They are all twin turbos there.

As long as the major consideration to buying cars in singapore is COE and ARF based on CCs, u will never find a hot anything.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Such engines are normally noisier and less refined. Especially with Singapore, a higher HP would not get you much faster but a higher torque might.

That is why in Singapore, the popular Bemee engines are the naturally aspirated engines with a very flat torque curve that promotes quick acceleration from standstill which is what is required by most drivers. Overtaking at speed at expressways can also be done with the torque that is in reserve in these engines.

A high HP really comes in if you need to drive at close to 200 kmph and above, not at 90 kmph speed limits or even at 120 kmph that some drivers do when no one is looking.

I own a turbo charged car, and there is nothing wrong with the torque. U sure u know what u are talking about or not? We are talking about ccs here. For example, the new BMW 2 litre engine is a 4 cylinder twin turbo design, that produces the HP of a V6 for the cc of a 4 cylinder. It has 240 hp which you normally will get in a 3 litre V6 and not a 4 cylinder. So, if you are paying COE based on cc, you would rather pay for a 2 litre versus a 3 litre, especially when the performance is the same. If you don't think a smaller engine with twin turbo like the BMW has torque, I suggest u go and drive one.

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal
I said "a rarity". I didn't say there were none. My Hilux Surf is rear wheel drive too but it isn't sporty. If I floor it out of a corner, it will fishtail and then flip.

The last rear wheel sporty car that I owned for a short while was the MR2. It was a bit twitchy because the engine was too far back for a balanced feel.

yeah lar.... your hilux is also 2 door but you cannot call it a coupe or a sports car

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal
I own a turbo charged car, and there is nothing wrong with the torque. U sure u know what u are talking about or not? We are talking about ccs here. For example, the new BMW 2 litre engine is a 4 cylinder twin turbo design, that produces the HP of a V6 for the cc of a 4 cylinder. It has 240 hp which you normally will get in a 3 litre V6 and not a 4 cylinder. So, if you are paying COE based on cc, you would rather pay for a 2 litre versus a 3 litre, especially when the performance is the same. If you don't think a smaller engine with twin turbo like the BMW has torque, I suggest u go and drive one.

Yes. Turbo charging boosts torque as well as horsepower, if not more. I think it is easier to boost torque than bhp.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
When I was in the electronics industry, Bosch (that makes the electronics for many German cars), was one of our customers.

The components they ordered were very complex and hard to manufacture. Yields were low and that's never good news in the reliability stakes. It means that even amongst the units that meet specifications, there are many marginal cases and these are the ones that fail prematurely.

We had a few Jap automotive customers too. The designs where simple... double sided PCBs.. thick traces... minimum number of vias. In other words, a bullet proof design. We could run a batch of 1000 with 99% yield vs 65% for the Bosch designs.

Sounds about right. Bosch like Merc is living on its past reputation.

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal

The 240bhp of the N20B20 is only produced when it is in the 28i models, different mapping, intercooler and exhaust manifold (i think) from the lower-powered N20B20 of the 20i models. Cannot even say it is a tuned down version, but differently equipped hardware and ECU.

These two turbocharged 4's directly replace the N52 NA inline 6, which also had 2 versions in the 23i and 25i models.

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hot bimmer? where in SIngapore can u find a hot bimmer? Look around u in singapore, most BMW 5 series are sold with a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine!! recent models have a turbo charged engine, but even at 240HP, This makes the car way underpowered for such a heavy car. It should have a 4 litre V8.

In singapore, a 184hp 2 litre engine is mated to the 3 series and this already making it underpowered. In north america for example, you cannot buy a 2 litre normally aspirated BMW 3 series. They are all twin turbos there.

As long as the major consideration to buying cars in singapore is COE and ARF based on CCs, u will never find a hot anything.

Then you are moving in the wrong circles, my friend.

i can count 2 M5's, 3 M3's, 2 335i, 1 135i, 1 Z4M, 1 535i, in my circle of friends. And i haven't mentioned the AMG and RS yet, as well as the hot limited editon Boxster Spyder yet

Last edited: