• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Arsenal FC 2008/2009 Sign In Here !!!

ForzaFerrari88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh dear. The last time they got a lawyer to run a bank, it almost went belly up. Gazidis=Chuck Prince???

GUNNERS CHOOSE GAZIDIS

Arsenal have announced the appointment of Major League Soccer deputy commissioner Ivan Gazidis as their new chief executive.

The 44-year-old South Africa-born Oxford graduate will take up his post in January to end his 14-year association with the American league.

Gazidis is expected to take over many of the duties previously handled by former vice-chairman David Dein, who left Arsenal last year, such as player contracts and negotiations.

A Gunners statement to the Stock Exchange said: "Arsenal are delighted to announce that after a thorough recruitment process, Ivan Gazidis has been appointed the new chief executive officer, taking up the position in January 2009."

Club chairman Peter Hill-Wood said: "Ivan's credentials are first class.

"It is evident that he has a wealth of business acumen together with a broad knowledge of football that will not only help to maintain Arsenal's pre-eminent standing but enhance our reputation within the football community and international commercial markets."

Gazidis, a qualified solicitor and keen amateur player, said: "I have been privileged in my 14 years with MLS to have worked with and for some of the best sports executives and owners in the world, whose vision, commitment and expertise have taken the league from strength to strength and provided a solid platform for its future growth.

"I am delighted to be offered the opportunity to bring that experience to bear at Arsenal - a club rich in heritage and tradition, that is superbly positioned for success in the modern era.

"I relish the prospect of working with the key stakeholders to further propel the club forward.

"It is nearly 15 years since I left the UK but I'm very much looking forward to returning in January."

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'll Leave Arsenal - Fabregas:eek:

The clock is not exactly ticking yet, but Cesc Fabregas affirmed that he will be leaving Arsenal when his current deal expires...
»Comments (174) Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us galleria zoom Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas has reiterated his desire to move away from the club and back to Spain upon completion of the terms of his current contract.

Fabregas still has six years to run on his current Gunners deal, having signed a long-term agreement in October 2006.

However, the Barcelona-schooled 21-year-old admits that he still harbours a long-term ambition to feature in La Liga.

The Euro 2008 winner conceded in the interview with Radio Marca that not even his place in the Arsenal line-up can be guaranteed, but affirmed that he is still happy and motivated at the Emirates.

Fabregas was handed the captaincy last month after manager Arsene Wenger stripped it from William Gallas, and the midfielder admits that the responsibility has had an effect on his game.

Nevertheless, Fabregas stated that it is a question of 'when' rather than 'if' he returns to ply his trade on the Iberian peninsula.

He told Radio Marca: "The idea has always been the same. That's why I signed such a long contract.

"What happens is that nobody in football has guaranteed place anywhere. Today everything is so changeable, so complicated that you never know, but the truth is that I'm very happy, very motivated and being captain is an extra incentive.

"Everybody knows that one day I would return to Spanish football. It's an experience I want to live. I want to play in Spain as a professional."

Peter Staunton, Goal.com

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
English Women Don't Wash Their Genitalia - Napoli President
Why should Napoli stars Ezequiel Lavezzi, Marek Hamsik, Walter Gargano and Fabiano Santacroce reject moves to England? According to De Laurentiis, it is because the women in England don't wash themselves in places they really should do!
»Comments (142) Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us galleria zoom Napoli have been one of the revelations of the Serie A season and, with just one round to go until the winter break, they currently find themselves in joint-third position, nine points behind leaders Inter, and just three adrift of second-placed Juventus.

The Partenopei have an exciting young team, with Ezequiel Lavezzi (23), Marek Hamsik (21), Walter Gargano (24) and Fabiano Santacroce (22) all tipped to achieve great things in the game.

The quartet have all been reportedly lined up by some giants of the English Premier League, with Chelsea said to be desperate to land both Lavezzi and Hamsik, having had a big-money bid for the latter rejected towards the end of last season.

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis, having grown frustrated by the constant transfer speculation, has now issued a sensational declaration as to why the four youngsters should reject moves to England.

"We made these players — two years ago nobody knew who they were," roared the movie mogul.

"If they want to go to England then in the end they're going to go, but they need to understand this: the English live badly, eat badly and their women do not wash their genitalia. To them, a bidet is a mystery."

De Laurentiis' comments will not go down too well in England, and it is unlikely Keira Knightley or Dame Helen Mirren will be auditioning to star in his next movie.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
He should raise the issue of this 'uneven playing field' with the proper authority. It makes him really look like a sore loser but I have to concur with his views. It is only a matter of time before the chickens come home to roost.

Wenger Blasts Arsenal's Big-Spending Rivals
English clubs are 'cheating' by spending more money on players than they can actually afford, according to Professor Wenger...
»Comments (22) Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us galleria zoom As January approaches, the football community's focus has begun to shift from on-field happenings to speculation about how Europe's big boys will strengthen their squads during the upcoming transfer window.

In England, rumours beyond number have been popping up concerning the country's top dogs and the up-and-coming crop. Manchester City, for instance, have been linked with more or less every high-profile footballer under the sun.

One club who are guaranteed to spend little, if anything, this winter are Arsenal. The Londoners have maintained a low-budget policy in recent years which has seen them concentrate on young talent rather than established stars.

The man behind that scheme is Arsene Wenger, and he believes his competitors are treading dangerously by splashing more cash than is in their wallets.

He said in The Sun: “I come from a little village of farmers where I was educated that when you earn £100 you do not spend £100.

“For me when you earn £100 and you spend £110 it is like cheating. A club must live within its own resources, not artificially supported.”

However, recent economic developments may see several of the Premier League's big boys tighten their belts over the holidays. Chelsea, for one, have hinted that they might not do any buying at all.

And Wenger reckons the rest of England would do well to follow in the Blues' footsteps, and that it will only be a matter of time before the bubble bursts.

He added: “The economic crisis will force many clubs to rethink the way they are run. It seems too many believe football exists in a bubble, away from the financial crisis!

“Football depends heavily on the financial markets, sponsorship and television rights, all of which are suffering right now.

“Clubs will be affected, wages will come down, transfer fees must come down and there will be a bit of calm with the exception of clubs like Manchester City.”

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wenger and O'Neill's argy bargy on the touchline once again at Villa Park on boxing day was a real hoot. Looks like Wenger vs O'Neill is a replica of Wenger vs Mourinho:biggrin:

ForzaFerrari88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wenger and O'Neill's argy bargy on the touchline once again at Villa Park on boxing day was a real hoot. Looks like Wenger vs O'Neill is a replica of Wenger vs Mourinho:biggrin:

The pressure is getting to Wenger. He cannot rely on the youth card anymore as the Gunners fans are losing their patience with him. My gut feel tells me he will leave if they fail to qualify for the European Cup next season. Me thinks they've lost it completely.Haiz....:mad:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fabregas, Adebayor & van Persie To Leave If Arsenal Miss Out On Champions League - Report

A trio of Gunners could flee the Emirates in the summer if results don't improve this term...

The News of the World claims that Cesc Fabregas, Emmanuel Adebayor and Robin van Persie will hand in transfer requests if Arsenal finish outside the top four this season.

Fabregas has often been linked with Barcelona, where he flourished in the youth ranks before moving to England as a teenager. The injured skipper has denied rumours of an imminent return to his homeland, but he has made no secret of his frustration at sitting in the stands while his side continue to drop points.

Adebayor was expected to leave Ashburton Grove last summer, but the Togolese striker stayed put after he and the board reached a compromise over his wage demands. Milan and Barca were both interested but pulled out after being quoted around €40 million.

A clutch of clubs have been keeping tabs on van Persie's situation, as the Dutchman is currently embroiled in slow-moving negotiations over his contract. Real Madrid are thought to be keen on the classy forward, as are Juventus and Barca.

Arsene Wenger would obviously be highly reluctant to let any of these three players leave, as they constitute the core of the team's forward play, but he may have little choice if things continue on their current path.

An unnamed source was quoted as saying, "There is a real problem developing because the big names are bemused at the way things are going.

"If Arsenal finish outside the top four, there’s no way the likes of Van Persie, Adebayor and Fabregas will hang around. They love playing for Arsene Wenger but they also want to win things.

"And, as things stand, they can’t see that happening. It’s not about how much money they can earn, it’s about winning trophies for these guys."

Arsenal are currently languishing in fifth, four points behind fourth-placed Chelsea and some 11 points adrift of Premier League leaders Liverpool.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is likely if the team misses out on Champions League for TWO years but to leave because of one year? Please lah, Robin v Persie and Fabregas are more loyal than that.

Anyway, I hope Adebayor's absence will push Eduador to come in and maybe we can sell the clown in June.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With Everton only 4 points behind, Arsenal are not only in danger of missing out on the ECL if they fail to overtake into the Top 4 soon, but also in danger of missing out on Europe altogether if they slip up further and Everton overtake them.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is likely if the team misses out on Champions League for TWO years but to leave because of one year? Please lah, Robin v Persie and Fabregas are more loyal than that.

Anyway, I hope Adebayor's absence will push Eduador to come in and maybe we can sell the clown in June.

David Dein was right all along.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wenger Has Another Pop At Defensive English Teams

Arsene Wenger admits he finds the Champions League more enjoyable than the English top flight because there is less chance of the opposition turning up to defend.

His Arsenal side have struggled for goals in recent weeks, with Saturday's 0-0 draw against Sunderland an example of the problems affecting Wenger's team.

The continued injury absences of playmakers Cesc Fabregas and Tomas Rosicky, as well as the loss of strikers Emmanuel Adebayor and Eduardo, have not helped the Gunners' cause, but Wenger also believes his side have been stifled by unambitious opponents.

He is, though, confident that when Roma visit in the first knockout round of the Champions League on Tuesday it will be a more flowing game of football.

The Frenchman, unsurprisingly given his favoured open style of play, is looking forward to challenge.

"You never know but certainly in the Champions League teams have a more positive attitude than the teams who have come in the Premier League to the Emirates recently, but that would not be very difficult I must say," said Wenger.

"Usually the Champions League is more enjoyable but more difficult as well. You feel like you play more on the edge.

"You feel if you make a mistake your opponent will take advantage of it which is not always the case with a team who just defends.

"You can talk and talk and talk but football becomes really exciting when both teams really try to play.

"You need to have two (attacking sides) to have a good game. You need two teams trying to play to have a good game."

Wenger admits to being frustrated by the tactics of some of the sides who have held Arsenal domestically of late but understands that it can be an important part of cup football.

"In our sport it is not always the team that takes the initiative that wins," said Wenger.

"In most other sports when you take initiative you are rewarded. In football, no. It makes it interesting as well, it makes cup results possible, when teams three or four divisions down still win games against teams who are better. That's impossible in basketball for example."

Wenger is unable to call on recent purchase Andrei Arshavin for the meeting with Roma due to his participation with Zenit St Petersburg earlier in the competition.

Zenit are now out having failed to progress from the group stages and, although Wenger was aware of the situation when he bought the Russian forward, his injury problems up front have forced him to query the regulations.

"We signed Arshavin for the championship and for the FA Cup, obviously not for the Champions League," he said.

"But he played in a team that is out of the competition. The logic is not really obvious; if he can play in the championship and in the cup then why not be qualified for the Champions League?

"But we cannot complain because we knew that when we bought him. The logic is not obvious though - he played for a team that cannot play in the competition anymore."

:eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
WENGER DEFIANT IN FACE OF JEERS

Arsene Wenger remained defiant and unwavering in his belief Arsenal can find their golden touch once again after the Gunners were jeered off following another goalless draw at the Emirates Stadium.

Fulham were the latest side to take what could prove to be crucial points off misfiring Arsenal, who failed to find the net for the fourth successive Premier League game.

It is a run - the worst in more than 15 seasons - which has dealt a near fatal blow to their aspirations of regaining a place in the top four, and also allowed Everton to close in on fifth place.

Robin van Persie was twice denied by Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer, who also produced a brilliant goalline clearance to block Abou Diaby's second-half header as the Gunners fans - who have now not seen a league goal at home since January 10 - were left frustrated once again.

Following the final whistle, before which many had already headed for the exit, the supporters vented their disappointment towards the team - and there were even a few isolated calls for Wenger to go.

However, the Gunners boss - who has transformed the club over the last decade - insisted he must focus only on guiding his men through what is proving to be a testing period.

"I don't know [whether the fans are losing faith]. That is not my worry," said Wenger.

"What is important is that I do what I believe is right and we keep going, that we show great attitude and do our job as well as we can, then let everybody judge and have an opinion.

"I believe it's not the biggest problem, not the biggest worry. The biggest worry is that we don't win games that we should win.

"We have been through difficult times, but it's an opportunity to show that you are strong enough to come through it."

Wenger is determined not to make a big issue of his team's goal drought, and believes the character of his squad is strong.

"I feel the players are showing enough desire, but when you don't get the results the first thing people always doubt is the desire," he said.

"I want to win the games and when we don't win the games, it's disappointing.

"Every defeat or every time we don't have a victory is tough.

"At the moment it's not satisfying, but we will see how strong we are until the end of the season."

Of course, just where Arsenal will finish come May remains to be seen, but it now seems an uphill battle for the Gunners to force themselves back into the shake-up for Champions League qualification.

Wenger, though, remains focused on that very goal.

He said: "You know how much I want to get into the Champions League. For me, it is not important - it is vital. But you can only play your games and try to win them.

"I want to be in the Champions League because it's the best I can be. If I'm not, then I'm not happy. It's as simple as that.

"You don't play football to be average. I don't manage in the game to be average, and the players want to play at the top."

Arsenal head to bottom club West Brom on Tuesday night, but Wenger accepts given their injury situation, he has few options available.

"We don't have many opportunities to change things round at the moment," he said. "So we will keep the positives from what we do well and go into the next game to win it.

"What is good in football is that in three days the story can be completely different."

Full-back Gael Clichy insisted the team are up for the battle.

"We have to keep fighting," he said. "We know that other teams will drops points as well, this season is a bizarre season and we have to keep trying.

"It is just a case of this first goal. If we can score a goal in the first 20 minutes it's a different game and maybe we would finish with two or three."

V. Persie may leave if it ends in another trophyless season and afew others.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
V. Persie may leave if it ends in another trophyless season and afew others.

The whole club should leave England and relocate to France. What's a French club doing in England anyway? Look at the team Arsenal fielded:

Manuel Almunia (Spain); William Gallas (France); Kolo Toure (Ivory Coast); Gael Clichy (France); Bacary Sagna* (France); Abou Diaby (France); Denilson (Brazil); Carlos Vela* (Mexico); Andrei Arshavin (Russia); Robin van Persie (Holland); Sami Nasri (France)

Subs*: Nicklas Bendtner (Denmark); Emmanuel Eboue (Ivory Coast)

Manager: Arsene Wenger (France)

Arsenal started with half a team of French players and had no English or British players on the field at all times.