• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone good at fixing computer?

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hey guys!!! speak of the devil!!!! my dell pc break down liao!!! on got sound, but blank screen!!! must be the graphic card!!! sigh!!! i actuali bought this dell pc for my wife and my wife not heavy user like me. only on once in a while to check email and surf net. my wife called and complained to me this evening. wah lao er!!!! The pc im using now i assembled myself, me down load a lot of junk stuffs, watch youtube, play games and even trading using this pc. now i only trust myself. investing and even assemble my own pc. economic cock up, pc also cock up!!!

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey guys!!! speak of the devil!!!! my dell pc break down liao!!! on got sound, but blank screen!!! must be the graphic card!!! sigh!!! i actuali bought this dell pc for my wife and my wife not heavy user like me. only on once in a while to check email and surf net. my wife called and complained to me this evening. wah lao er!!!! The pc im using now i assembled myself, me down load a lot of junk stuffs, watch youtube, play games and even trading using this pc. now i only trust myself. investing and even assemble my own pc. economic cock up, pc also cock up!!!

might not be graphic card. might be ram.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hey guys!!! speak of the devil!!!! my dell pc break down liao!!! on got sound, but blank screen!!! must be the graphic card!!!

U actually got a seperate graphic card just to surf net? If that's the case, just take out the graphic card and see if it works. Might also be monitor or just the cable came lose. Either that or memory goes dead but if memory is going dead, normally U will get a lot of BSODs before it goes completely dead and the thing doesnt start up(assuming U have more then 1 memory module)

Dun know about U but my 4-5 yr old Dell runs at least 16 hrs a day and have only broken down once before(earlier this year, 1 of the 2 memory module went dead), which is quite expected coz its being used so much. I took the opportunity to upgrade the memory, graphics card and also installed an extra hdd since its out of warranty anyway. None of my old PCs have ever lasted > 4yrs without breaking down at least once.

mengzai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yo thank you but I need people like you for future tech support leh. Maybe I can give you a good treat for any future tech support. Anyway what will be the cost for the new PC mentioned by you?

I am here to make more friend also.

hi, i do free lance PC repair. can call me if you need any service... hehehe..

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wait I just realize something, why are U even troubleshooting the damn thing, just call up dell and get them to fix it. If anything, there's someone for U to shout at

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi guys, thanks for the concern and tips!!! anyway did some basic checked and confirmed is the graphic card. called dell, the cust service go through it again. then a technician or should i call them engineer turn up next day to change to graphic card.

my pt here is, no matter how gd the after sale service is, is a waste of resource. i got to change 2 time for my printer and graphic card breakdown less than a yr. i don't want good after sales service. i don't want to waste my time calling them up, then gave me empty promises. its really wasting my time. just give me a good and stable system like those i fixed myself. get it right the first time and last for a few years, that is wat i want as a consumer!

War Criminal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dell PCs are overpriced. DIY computer is the most economical way to go. Surely TS got a friend who has some knowledge about this? I myself know at least a handful of people who can assemble a PC. Worst case just go SLS look around, browse their brochures and see see.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
also NO tech support, meaning after hanging over the computer to you, end of transaction. any problem, you fix yourself. I am not running a business, or have time to troubleshoot problem if you download virus yourself.

Hanging?

Not a good start to setting up a PC :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my pt here is, no matter how gd the after sale service is, is a waste of resource. i got to change 2 time for my printer and graphic card breakdown less than a yr. i don't want good after sales service. i don't want to waste my time calling them up, then gave me empty promises. its really wasting my time. just give me a good and stable system like those i fixed myself. get it right the first time and last for a few years, that is wat i want as a consumer!

You can get a Mac, its more idiot proof than a PC :p

If you get a PC the best option is to put one together. Not to save money but to get the best parts you can afford. In the long run you'll have less problems.

Go to the Computer Bookstore at Funan & you can get books on putting together your own system. Nowdays Its really easy to DIY.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can get a Mac, its more idiot proof than a PC :p

If you get a PC the best option is to put one together. Not to save money but to get the best parts you can afford. In the long run you'll have less problems.

Go to the Computer Bookstore at Funan & you can get books on putting together your own system. Nowdays Its really easy to DIY.

That only applies to pple who are technically competent. I loss track of the number of times my friends call me up to help fix their PC coz none of them listen to me when I told them to get a DIY

The main difference here is whether or not the user knows how to fix his own system. If the guy is technically competent or at the very least knows how to do some basic troubleshooting, then by all means, go get a DIY PC. Those are good value if U want to build a high cost gaming rigs.

If you are not capable of doing that and has no one to turn to, then its way better to get a branded PC where you can get the local support to fix it, else U'll end up paying others to fix your problems anyway. There are a lot of things to consider when buying something. Just looking at the initial cost is the wrong way to do it. We have to look at the total cost of ownership in the long run.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That only applies to pple who are technically competent.

----
----

If you are not capable of doing that and has no one to turn to, then its way better to get a branded PC where you can get the local support to fix it, else U'll end up paying others to fix your problems anyway. There are a lot of things to consider when buying something. Just looking at the initial cost is the wrong way to do it. We have to look at the total cost of ownership in the long run.

I prefer my Apple computers because theres less hassle involved but for my PCs I prefer tp build my owns. With Apple computer you don't have to load all those different drivers as everything is included.

For my PC, I don't skimp on the quality of parts, always use branded parts & get better performance not usually available on branded PCs.

Over the years I've only two problems; defective power supply & video card. I took those parts(not the whole computer) to be exchanged under warranty. You get longer warranties on the individual parts (3 to 5 years) that are likely to need replacing: PS & HDD , longer than you will ever get on a branded PC.

You can buy branded but when it breaks down you have to wait around for the technician to visit. If its out of warranty must pay $$. PC companies face price constraints & will provide cheap parts. Don't forget the down time.

With just a little reading one can put together a system. Its so much easier nowadays because the parts are standardised. If thats too much, just pick the parts & let the store put it together for you. :biggrin:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My last 3 DIY.. breakdown jun jun jus after 1 yr warranty... twice MB problem and once graphic card. When it breakdown, u nid spare mb/graphic card/mem to swap and test urself wat's exactly giving problem before heading down to rma. Jus aft 1 yr... well too fraking bad... chg new 1.

Seriously i dun hab time for all these bullshit. I opt to pay more for 3 yrs, nxt working day response warranty with peace of mind... Of course... u nid not agree with me....:biggrin::biggrin:

DIY oni if u r constantly chasing aft the latest, fastest hardware...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My last 3 DIY.. breakdown jun jun jus after 1 yr warranty... twice MB problem and once graphic card..

You must gotten a bad batch :p

I normally go with Asus motherboards & have never had any problems .

Had a problem with a brand new graphics card. Nvidia had some problems with their products & even if you bought brand name computers you were affected if an Nvidia was included.

If you put together a DIY you can do your some quality control unlike getting a complete system where you hope someone is doing a good job in China, Malaysia,... :rolleyes:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You must gotten a bad batch :p

I normally go with Asus motherboards & have never had any problems .

Had a problem with a brand new graphics card. Nvidia had some problems with their products & even if you bought brand name computers you were affected if an Nvidia was included.

If you put together a DIY you can do your some quality control unlike getting a complete system where you hope someone is doing a good job in China, Malaysia,... :rolleyes:

My last DIY board is Asus... No luck... still breakdown shortly after a yr... MSI is the worst... 4 spoil so far... Spoil until scare, tat y i go for complete system... If u so suay like me hor i think u oso go 4 complete sys... :biggrin::p:biggrin:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i m using diy system for myself. the dell is for my wife. one thing bout diy is you really have to find out those parts that is not compatible. i had my fair share of parts breaking down. but after sometime, you will know what to put together. try to find out and read more so as to fix a stable system. the key word for a good and stable system is compatible. not compatible, parts will break down very fast. im using asus MB, asus MB is the best!!! diy system is the best!!!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MSI is the worst... 4 spoil so far... Spoil until scare, tat y i go for complete system... If u so suay like me hor i think u oso go 4 complete sys... :biggrin::p:biggrin:

No wonder my MSI graphics card was DOA out of the box :p

Must have been made in China :biggrin:

In a few months time if got budget I'll be putting together a new system, touchwood things will go better. I have considered getting a complete system but not impressed by the price & performance. I need to put in at least 2 graphic cards & not that intgrated video thats included & don't want the junk pre-trial SW that they include. :rolleyes: