• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Another big screw up coming! We bought the wrong plane!

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
A380, the biggest superjumbo from Airbus faces cancellation due to poor orders. Remember we bank Changi Airport on this plane by doubling our runways and terminals. The model is supposed to be the hub and spook model where everyone flies into Changi on superjumbos and then disperse to the rest of the region in smaller planes. Now with the event of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner there's no need to do. They can fly direct to say Phuket or Bali from San Fran without touching Sinkapore.
Another big colossal mistake looming up?
(Reuters) - Airbus (AIR.PA) will not abandon its A380 jumbo jet program despite slow sales, its chief executive told Les Echos newspaper, and needs more time to decide whether to redesign its engines as major customer Emirates Airline has requested.

Emirates, the leading buyer of the existing A380 jet with 140 orders, has been pushing Airbus to revamp the plane with newer engines, a move that could lower the number of seats airlines must sell to break even.

Airbus boss Fabrice Bregier appeared to rebuff the request in the interview with Les Echos published online on Sunday.

"We are already working on ways to make the A380 more attractive economically by adding seats while preserving the amazing comfort of the plane," he said.

schizo

Alfrescian
Loyal
dumbfucks, the future will be small single man drones, everyone will own his own plane like cars

2-chinesedrone.jpg

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Flew the SIA A380 to Hong Kong in November last year for holiday, sat on deck 2.....impressive size & not too bad a plane.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The A380 is cursed from start. Suppose to launch in 2005 with SIA as launch customer it was delayed numerous times and costs escalate.

At that time it was seen as a winner for hub n spoke model while Boeing went for point to point model.

Fast forward to now with the slowing economy it does not make sense to fly such a mammoth half empty. Airlines are better off flying the smaller Boeing n Airbuses.

Also I suspect with the economy like that , airports are hesitant to be A380 compliant which further restrict their routes.

Expect to see SIA switch their purchase of A380 to A350x.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember when SIA took delivery of the first A380, it was like we got an aircraft carrier! There was fly pasts after fly pasts! SIA can always switch planes but our T4 and T5 will be white elephants!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
isnt 787 a flying coffin?i saw a documentary on youtube,in order to cut cost,boeing no longer builds 787 inhouse,instead the subcontract the construction out to every country in the world.end up full of problems.sad thing is my budget airline jetstar switched from the a330 to 787.

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember when SIA took delivery of the first A380, it was like we got an aircraft carrier! There was fly pasts after fly pasts! SIA can always switch planes but our T4 and T5 will be white elephants!

T4 & T5 will be white elephants when Bangkok gets its act in order.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
isnt 787 a flying coffin?i saw a documentary on youtube,in order to cut cost,boeing no longer builds 787 inhouse,instead the subcontract the construction out to every country in the world.end up full of problems.sad thing is my budget airline jetstar switched from the a330 to 787.

Every plane builder in the world subcontracts out and assembles in one place. Nothing unusual at all. In Boeing's case, Everett plant does the 787. The only sad thing is that the PAP did not blackmail Boeing into letting ST Aerospace be one of theor subcontractors. SQ is one of their largest customers and an historically a heavy buyer of Boeing planes.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The A380 is cursed from start. Suppose to launch in 2005 with SIA as launch customer it was delayed numerous times and costs escalate.

At that time it was seen as a winner for hub n spoke model while Boeing went for point to point model.

Fast forward to now with the slowing economy it does not make sense to fly such a mammoth half empty. Airlines are better off flying the smaller Boeing n Airbuses.

Also I suspect with the economy like that , airports are hesitant to be A380 compliant which further restrict their routes.

Expect to see SIA switch their purchase of A380 to A350x.

many airports around the word have already spend billions $ to modify themselves to take the A380. I have never flown a half empty A380. All the times I have flown it, both decks are full. The airlines are smart enough to use them on high load routes. But the writing is on the wall for the A380. Airbus will write off hundreds of millions $ in losses for it. It will be a white elephant like their A340.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every plane builder in the world subcontracts out and assembles in one place. Nothing unusual at all. In Boeing's case, Everett plant does the 787. The only sad thing is that the PAP did not blackmail Boeing into letting ST Aerospace be one of theor subcontractors. SQ is one of their largest customers and an historically a heavy buyer of Boeing planes.

except if im not wrong boeing subcontracted out nearly the entire plane from the early design stage,even the critical parts like the fuselage.as an attempt to minimize cost and maximise shareholder's profit and an attempt to engineer a whole new plane without having to invest billions.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
How much longer did it take for all the passengers to board the big plane compared to a normal aircraft:confused:

Same time. The skywalk has two levels. that is the investment that the airports had to make. as well as longer runway for those that want to accomodate it.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same time. The skywalk has two levels. that is the investment that the airports had to make. as well as longer runway for those that want to accomodate it.

dont worry, soon they will operate like aeroflot. wait for all passengers to fill the seats before flying off.

it's call last cum first served. so late arrivals will be treated like VIP. the security will bypass all checks, throw the passenger in a buggy and do a F1 from passport check and drive through the aerobridge. if the flight is to thailand, they will use a tuk tuk.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
except if im not wrong boeing subcontracted out nearly the entire plane from the early design stage,even the critical parts like the fuselage.as an attempt to minimize cost and maximise shareholder's profit and an attempt to engineer a whole new plane without having to invest billions.

Some parts are made in the US. SOme parts are contracted out. Boeing's unions are relatively militant and have gone on many strikes before. Boeing uses the threat of outsourcing to control them. a few years ago, i visited the 787 assembly plant in everett when I was in the northwest US. Very impressive facility. And some parts made overseas are from very reputable firms, they could even be ofhigher quality then anything that Boeing makes in house. The wings are build by Mitsubishi, fuselage by Alenia of Italy, other parts made by Kawasaki and Boeing's factory in canada. If you think they are made in third world countries by a sweatshop, you are mistaken. I heard the insulation was done in mexico because its labour intensive and they have the cheapest labour. But that is a non critical part.