• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

all auto cars drivers falls in

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
It the same for manual.

As long as gear 1 is engage for manual car, it will still move forward when u release the clutch (without stepping on accelerator) . Like auto car, only way for manual car to stay still is to engage neutral.

1 good thing about manual is you can change reverse gear without having to look at it.
2 good thing about auto are: when you are on a gentle slope, your car will neevr back roll.when you are in a peak hour jam,auto save a lot of hassle

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It the same for manual.

As long as gear 1 is engage for manual car, it will still move forward when u release the clutch (without stepping on accelerator)

not quite!
it depends on how idle speed is set, if you set it fast the car will move, if set slow car engine will die

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not quite!
it depends on how idle speed is set, if you set it fast the car will move, if set slow car engine will die

Why would anyone set idling speed? It's fixed and regulated by ecu.
If auto car engine can die then you're fucked liao.
Only yellowarse got the best answer. Never switch to neutral gear....does more damage and harm to your transmission. Unlike manual cars....netural gear in auto transmission got no function one....it's a useless gear.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why would anyone set idling speed? It's fixed and regulated by ecu.
If auto car engine can die then you're fucked liao.
Only yellowarse got the best answer. Never switch to neutral gear....does more damage and harm to your transmission. Unlike manual cars....netural gear in auto transmission got no function one....it's a useless gear.

exactly what i think
use park gear is good enough.
i ever tried using park gear just on steep slope withOUT handbrake.it works
neutral gear will come in handy when your car broke down,you need people to push from behind, for towing purpose.correct me if i am wrong

Last edited:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1 good thing about manual is you can change reverse gear without having to look at it.
2 good thing about auto are: when you are on a gentle slope, your car will neevr back roll.when you are in a peak hour jam,auto save a lot of hassle

People like me are thankful for the invention of auto cars.. Not tiring during heavy jams.. Recently I tried to drive a manual car after 7 years of driving auto.. Struggled a little bit.. Worse when one Plate farker honked at me because I dilly dallied a bit when searching for a parking lot..

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
exactly what i think
use park gear is good enough.
i ever tried using park gear just on steep slope withOUT handbrake.it works
neutral gear will come in handy when your car broke down,you need people to push from behind, for towing purpose.correct me if i am wrong
Bro, auto cars cannot push, tow also special if not your whole transmission gone case.
Auto cars are meant to be auto so just put in D all the way until you park the car then put in P.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal

it more than this. Manual cars are less costly to maintain and achieve better mileage. Safety wise, manual can used engine brake together with the car brake for additional braking power.

Those CVT auto car damn fragile. There are many cases of CVT breaking down within 3 years and it can cost up to 8k to replace one.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aside from Taxi drivers and goods vehicles, who drives manuals in Singapore?
Virtually all private cars are auto, right?

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yep. Even your friendly SBS and TIBS bus drivers use auto now. Still remember those days when Tay Koh Yat ot STC bus drivers drive with manual and swearing at passengers who board and ask for directions. Nowadays, wonder why they are so helpful and waste the time of passengers who are waiting on the bus?

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
it more than this. Manual cars are less costly to maintain and achieve better mileage. Safety wise, manual can used engine brake together with the car brake for additional braking power.

Those CVT auto car damn fragile. There are many cases of CVT breaking down within 3 years and it can cost up to 8k to replace one.

oh yeah.i alway use engine brake for high speed slow down.damm effective.things wont fly out of position
in auto,if you high speed brake, all things fly about.also engine brake reduce skidding
but remeber, dont down from 5th gear to 2nd gear,sure key chai

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
of cos no.
my friend saw me pull handbrake with the gear still in drive mode.i then rest my feet freely.
he say i will damage the transmission.
i in doubt of what he says,but i know sbf got many experts to shed some light

why do all auto car move forward when you release the brake pedal.why cant they be like manual,stay where it is?

The transmission will wear out faster if you switch between D & N.

Auto trans are made to remain in D when idle.

Manual cars have clutch to stop car moving forward.

Last edited:

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
The transmission will wear out faster if you switch between D & N.

Auto trans are made to remain in D when idle.

Manual cars have clutch to stop car moving forward.

btw, will constant switching of gears (using engine brake) wear out manual gear box?

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Oz land, Autos sell better than manuals and most new trucks and lorrys etc are auto,,and most aussies cant drive manual anyway. Anyway I personally find european autos harder to drive than japanese manuals...and anyway in todays day and age,,manuals are going the way of the dodos,,unless in one lives in hilly terrains etc where manual is still needed. and singapore congestion soo bad,,shift gear shift till when ah? just my rants