• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ok, not being racist, but why do u think 'chinks' are easier to blend in?? u mean, thailand is a part of china??

secondly, ur question is very open ended. u want to buy over restaur/hotel. budget? u know how much it cost or not? although thailand is cheap, it is not that cheap....

i mean, u can open a bar joint with 100k+ bahts ( 4-8k sgd), but u can also open a bar joint costing 10 million bahts. it depends on what u want. recently, i surf the net and found a hotel villa for sale in the suburb of BKK. u know how much it cost? 20 million baht.

but i suggest that if u are looking to open a restaurant, better save ur money, as the turnover rate is high. unless u are those famous restaurants like tawandang, or the smoke house in khao yai, which they can be considered as hi-so or even tourist attraction. but again, these types of restaurants can and will cost more than millions of baht. and yes, seriously, if u are interested to do business there, u need to know a few thai people there. for convenience sake. but of cos, if u have money to burn, many property lawyers are able to service u.

finally,why do u say cab drivers always ketuk ur money? those cabs should and must have meters. even if they ketuk ur money, its only 100 plus bahts. unless u are saying u took a 100 baht worth of ride, but they charge u 500. u must remember 1 thing, cab drivers hates jam ( although this prolong the trip, thus earn more), so sometimes, they might go a longer, but smoother way to ur destination. i take cabs in BKK, and i don't speak thai to them. but they never try to ketuk me. and i considered thai taxi charges to be very cheap already...

hope it provides u some clue..
Think you have answer most of the questions. If you have taken taxi in patt., you will know the BKK taxi is much much better with meters. Here the regular taxis are only modified pickup and it is very expensive considering the distance travel. Most meter taxis (yellow/blue) here don't use meters.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2 farangs and 1 local having lunch at roadside stall. This is call blending in. :smile:

20121229_085957.jpg

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey u're online liao. how?

are u and joe coming back for CNY?

i might be coming to BKK during CNY. if u all are there, can meet up.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hey u're online liao. how?

are u and joe coming back for CNY?

i might be coming to BKK during CNY. if u all are there, can meet up.
hehehe. shop opening mid january. think this year like last year have to give cny a miss. last year, i opened by second branch around the same time. maybe i will bring cny to los? :smile:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2 farangs and 1 local having lunch at roadside stall. This is call blending in. :smile:

I'm sure those farangs would be blending in pretty well and they better. Unlike singapore whereby they would have locals everywhere kissing their ass trying to speak english in their accent over there in thailand they would need to speak thai.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I'm sure those farangs would be blending in pretty well and they better. Unlike singapore whereby they would have locals everywhere kissing their ass trying to speak english in their accent over there in thailand they would need to speak thai.

Jah I hate to say this but many of this type of scene the local boys are the farangs gay buddies la.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jah I hate to say this but many of this type of scene the local boys are the farangs gay buddies la.

yup there are many gay and lady boy bars in thailand too so it's not surprising that there are gay shit going out there.

Btw there are also many russian lady agogo bars too. I saw it before.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
yup there are many gay and lady boy bars in thailand too so it's not surprising that there are gay shit going out there.

Btw there are also many russian lady agogo bars too. I saw it before.

Never like going to angmoh joints leh

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any idea what's the damage for Farang girl's overnight rate ?
Just curious only , never liked farang :p
Farang = Mien
:biggrin:

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do know a fair bit of geography...but thais do look a lot like chinks who are more integrated into the country than other non thai races...thaichinks dominate in politics and biz, no?

I am looking at opening somethg in a island/beach resort place...it can be a hotel/bar/restaurent

so not lookg at bkk, probably one of the islands...anyway thats my 10 year plan.

had enuf of the rat race in spore and the dull european economy and I got burned in chn while also makg money..so i m lookg somewhere closer to home (spore), indon scares me while m'sia is another option given the lang familiarity and contacts, but thailand has always been in the back of my mind.

but you are right about cabs, I must change my mindset abt it being so fixated in the meter culture.
when in rome etc

all the best to the thai bros...:smile:

ok, not being racist, but why do u think 'chinks' are easier to blend in?? u mean, thailand is a part of china??

secondly, ur question is very open ended. u want to buy over restaur/hotel. budget? u know how much it cost or not? although thailand is cheap, it is not that cheap....

i mean, u can open a bar joint with 100k+ bahts ( 4-8k sgd), but u can also open a bar joint costing 10 million bahts. it depends on what u want. recently, i surf the net and found a hotel villa for sale in the suburb of BKK. u know how much it cost? 20 million baht.

but i suggest that if u are looking to open a restaurant, better save ur money, as the turnover rate is high. unless u are those famous restaurants like tawandang, or the smoke house in khao yai, which they can be considered as hi-so or even tourist attraction. but again, these types of restaurants can and will cost more than millions of baht. and yes, seriously, if u are interested to do business there, u need to know a few thai people there. for convenience sake. but of cos, if u have money to burn, many property lawyers are able to service u.

finally,why do u say cab drivers always ketuk ur money? those cabs should and must have meters. even if they ketuk ur money, its only 100 plus bahts. unless u are saying u took a 100 baht worth of ride, but they charge u 500. u must remember 1 thing, cab drivers hates jam ( although this prolong the trip, thus earn more), so sometimes, they might go a longer, but smoother way to ur destination. i take cabs in BKK, and i don't speak thai to them. but they never try to ketuk me. and i considered thai taxi charges to be very cheap already...

hope it provides u some clue..

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do know a fair bit of geography...but thais do look a lot like chinks who are more integrated into the country than other non thai races...thaichinks dominate in politics and biz, no?

I am looking at opening somethg in a island/beach resort place...it can be a hotel/bar/restaurent

so not lookg at bkk, probably one of the islands...anyway thats my 10 year plan.

had enuf of the rat race in spore and the dull european economy and I got burned in chn while also makg money..so i m lookg somewhere closer to home (spore), indon scares me while m'sia is another option given the lang familiarity and contacts, but thailand has always been in the back of my mind.

but you are right about cabs, I must change my mindset abt it being so fixated in the meter culture.
when in rome etc

all the best to the thai bros...:smile:

u mentioned island. perhaps southern side, near to phi2 lsland and phuket? or perhaps pattaya?

well, there are numerous sites u can read on. just google thaivisa.com, and there are many like u, want to open a bar/restaur along the beach.

but whats dangerous is that, the turnover rate for bars are real high. i mean, just ask chunburi, jomtien and the area around walking street, how long does 1 bar survives? don't talk about the russian lady bar. i think that bar was financed by russian mafias.

i mean, thailand does not need another bar on top of the thousands of bars operating around the country.

if u wanna survive there, think of something else to do. i am doing something there now, and in fact, look around and u will see opp. around.

btw, don't think that selling street food cant earn u anything. it can, and a simple stall can make 500-1000 baht revenue per day, depending on the food u sell.

just for ur info, my relatives started selling patongoh along a road next to a 7-11. fast forward to now. he bought a honda city, and opened a second stall at another location.

i mean, it also depends on ur luck, but what u need most is hard work and the will.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
For those who doesn't know, pa-tong-gor = a very short version of our u-char-kuay

patongo.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehe. just got back from late dinner with bro roti. thanks for the aroi dinner. changed my plans to go out cos' something wrong with my left shoulder.not sure if it's due to moving heavy in th shop today. now jeb mak mak.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sawasdi pi mai to siam kias here.

Got 5 funny tees from night bazaar in CNX, on my last night here (back to Bangers today). For a princely sum thb840, after some 'negotiations'. Works out thb168/piece

Just 3 samples

7315A6E0-6B6A-47AC-8A60-0D2464ECE4E1-531-00000188077B9B43_zpsf12d0e85.jpg

5803AC47-7FDA-41A5-8FD6-8C865ED4601C-531-00000188164826E0_zps753d4707.jpg

EEBA99FF-3695-44D2-90BC-CC6A345C710F-531-00000188217980F4_zps7b2aae04.jpg

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Happy New Year yinyang. Glad you've an enjoyable stay. Those tees damn funny.

Me here now is damn cold 8degC now in Tsim Sa Tsui. Today doing the Disney thing for the kids la. Boring for sure. Tonight will be count down and fireworks at Victoria Harbour.

Happy New Year to all you guys in Sinkieland.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehe. forgot to explain pic. kaki color is new color. purple color is old color. complete only 10 %. need to coatings.:*: