• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lazio-bound Morrison lands in Rome

28 January 2015

779465header.jpg

West Ham's Ravel Morrison has arrived in Italy ahead of his proposed move to Serie A club Lazio.

West Ham midfielder Ravel Morrison is set to complete his move to Lazio, having been photographed in Rome ahead of his medical.

The 21-year-old arrived in the Italian capital on Wednesday and will now undergo a medical assessment at the Paideia clinic in Rome - with a deal expected to go through when his West Ham deal expires in June.

Morrison - capped at various youth levels for England - will hope to rekindle his career after spending the bulk of the last few years on loan to various second-tier clubs.

The former Manchester United man has endured off-field difficulties since leaving Old Trafford and has struggled to gain a regular spot under Sam Allardyce at Upton Park, other than a run of games at the start of last season.

Lazio sit fourth in Serie A, with Stefano Pioli's men also booking their place in the semi-finals of the Coppa Italia on Tuesday with a 1-0 win over Milan.

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Milan agree Bocchetti loan

28 January 2015

779603header.jpg

Spartak Moscow defender Salvatore Bocchetti has agreed a loan deal with Milan until the end of Serie A campaign.

Milan have moved to strengthen their defensive options with the loan signing of Salvatore Bocchetti from Spartak Moscow until the end of the season.

The 28-year-old has spent the last four years in Russia with Rubin Kazan and Spartak, but has seen his chances limited during the current campaign.

With Milan having only kept four clean sheets in all competitions under Filippo Inzaghi they were quick to snap up the services of Bocchetti, who previously played for Genoa in Serie A.

Inzaghi will hope the Italy international can help turn Milan's fortunes around after three successive defeats, leaving them out of the Coppa Italia and 11th in the league.

Bocchetti will have to hit the ground running despite not playing a competitive match since November, as Milan look to ease the pressure on Inzaghi and attempt to climb up the table.

The defender's debut could come in this weekend's clash with Parma at San Siro given there will be a space at the back following Philippe Mexes' four-game ban for a red card against Lazio.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Montella will not sell Cuadrado cheap

29 January 2015

779972header.jpg

Fiorentina coach Vincenzo Montella warned Chelsea the Serie A club will not sell Colombian winger Juan Cuadrado in a cut-price deal.

Coach Vincenzo Montella underlined Fiorentina's commitment to Juan Cuadrado's release clause on Wednesday, warning any potential suitors they will only sell for the full £35million.

Chelsea are reportedly keen on signing the Colombia international, while Manchester United and Barcelona were both linked with Cuadrado after last year's World Cup.

Cuadrado has a contract with Fiorentina until June 2019 and with the 26-year-old locked down for over four years, the Serie A outfit are not interested in cheeky offers.

"Cuadrado is a fantastic player," Montella told Sky Sports.

"His situation is very, very easy. In his contract there is an escape [release] clause.

"If, of course, another team will pay this amount, in this situation, he can leave Fiorentina."

Montella remains confident that Cuadrado, who started all five of Colombia's matches at Brazil 2014, would want to stay at Fiorentina even if the release clause was met.

"The clause says £35million and only in this situation is it possible to buy. But I have not spoken to him about it," the coach conceded.

Cuadrado impressed at the World Cup, scoring one goal and setting up another four before Colombia were eliminated in the quarter-finals by the host nation.

The former Lecce and Udinese man has continued that form in Serie A this term, scoring four goals and notching three assists in 17 matches for Fiorentina, who are sixth in the Italian top flight.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Donadoni has no plans to leave Parma and criticises Cassano

29 January 2015

780016header.jpg

Roberto Donadoni insists he has no intention to leave Parma and suggested Antonio Cassano was "cowardly and hypocritical".

Parma coach Roberto Donadoni has pledged his commitment to the club and appeared to label outgoing striker Antonio Cassano "cowardly and hypocritical".

The Stadio Ennio Tardini outfit sit bottom of Serie A, but put in a creditable performance as they lost 1-0 to Juventus in the Coppa Italia quarter-finals on Wednesday.

That result comes against the backdrop of mounting off-field turmoil at Parma, with Cassano having left the club on Monday following a reported row over unpaid wages.

However, Donadoni has no plans to follow suit and suggested anyone who did would be making a selfish decision.

"It takes more dignity to stay in the saddle than to quit," he said. "It is easy for me to say I'll go because I don't get paid or because I have received other offers.

"It only makes sense to do your duty all the way.

"People mustn't think only of themselves, that is cowardly and hypocritical behaviour.

"If [on Wednesday] we fought on a par with Juventus, who are top of the table, then it means we can still challenge this season."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pogba to leave Juve by end of next season - Agent

29 January 2015

780058header.jpg

Despite signing a new contract, Paul Pogba could leave Juventus by the end of next season, according to his agent.

Paul Pogba's agent believes the midfielder will leave Juventus by the end of next season at the very latest.

The France international recently signed a new contract that will keep him in Turin until 2019, but he remains one of the hottest properties in European football.

And agent Mino Raiola claims his client is unlikely to see out his new deal.

"His contract renewal was an easy decision. Not signing a new deal would have created a problem for Juventus and a weakness for Paul," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I want the club that buys him to believe in him and be willing to pay for him. If Paul leaves Juventus, it is for the absolute top. If it does not happen this year, it will be next year.

"Paul is at the same level economically as the other big stars and has a similar reputation, so he could stay for another year.

"But Paul is the only major star who is available at the end of the season. If you cannot take Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi or Zlatan Ibrahimovic, you can only go for Paul.

"If someone wants him, the market situation could see him go for more than €100 million."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Destro says yes to Milan move

29 January 2015

780087header.jpg

Mattia Destro is set to join Milan from Roma, but neither side has revealed the specifics of the deal.

Roma striker Mattia Destro has agreed a deal to join Serie A rivals Milan.

The Italy international has been heavily linked with a move away from Stadio Olimpico, but Roma coach Rudi Garcia ruled it out earlier this month.

However, Milan - yet to announce any details of the transfer - confirmed on Thursday that Destro is set to switch to San Siro.

Destro has made 16 league appearances for Roma this season, although half of those have come from the bench.

The 23-year-old has scored five goals in that time and Milan will be hoping the forward can help lift them into contention for European qualification.

Milan sit 11th in Serie A, 23 points adrift of league leaders Juventus.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

New Inter signing Brozovic wants to be the next Frank Lampard

29 January 2015

780187header.jpg

Marcelo Brozovic is eager to prove himself as a world-class midfielder after joining Inter from Dinamo Zagreb.

New Inter signing Marcelo Brozovic has set his sights on becoming one of Europe's leading central midfielders, styling himself on Frank Lampard.

The 22-year-old arrived at San Siro from Dinamo Zagreb on Monday on an initial two-year loan, although the Serie A outfit have an option to make it permanent.

Brozovic joins compatriot Mateo Kovacic at Inter and is hungry to learn under the tutelage of coach Roberto Mancini.

"It's a dream come true for me to join Inter," explained Brozovic. "I've always wanted to play for a big club with a great history.

"I don't feel under pressure. I want to learn from Mancini.

"Kovacic has supported me and will help me a lot.

"I prefer playing in central midfield or in the holding role, it depends on the formation.

"I'm very young. I have to keep developing as a player, but I hope to grow into an all-round footballer.

"I like [Manchester City midfielder] Frank Lampard. I hope to become like him one day."

Brozovic, capped seven times by Croatia, follows Lukas Podolski - another loan - and Xherdan Shaqiri in joining Inter during the January transfer window.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Strootman injury ´nothing serious´

29 January 2015

780233header.jpg

Kevin Strootman is not expecting to be sidelined for long as the Roma midfielder prepares to undergo another knee operation.

Roma midfielder Kevin Strootman has allayed fears that he is set for another long spell on the sidelines by revealing his latest knee injury is "nothing serious".

Serie A high-flyers Roma revealed that the Netherlands international will undergo surgery on Friday after suffering another setback in Sunday's 1-1 draw with Fiorentina.

That was only the 24-year-old's sixth league appearance since returning from an anterior cruciate ligament injury, which he sustained in March last year and subsequently missed the World Cup.

But Strootman is confident he will be back before long on this occasion.

He tweeted: "There's a lot of speculation in the media about me and I would like to explain to all the fans what the real problem is. In the match v Fiorentina I got a knock on my left knee.

"It's bruised and therefore I should rest my knee for a couple of weeks. This gives me the opportunity to remove some scar tissue which has bothered me a bit after the last surgery and this will help me further in getting back to my old level.

"It's nothing serious and I will be back on the pitch as soon as possible."

Edinson Cavani

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Eto´o backs Sampdoria´s European dream

29 January 2015

780381header.jpg

Samuel Eto'o is confident Sampdoria can achieve their target of qualifying for the UEFA Champions League this season.

Samuel Eto'o has spoken of his desire to help Sampdoria qualify for the UEFA Champions League after being presented to the media on Thursday.

The former Cameroon international has signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with the Serie A club, bringing to an end his short stay at Everton.

Since taking over last year, owner Massimo Ferrero has regularly spoken of his desire to see Fiorentina gain a place in the Champions League and Eto'o feels it is an achievable target.

"I've shown that by working hard and following my dream you can do anything," the 33-year-old, whose new side sit fifth in the league, said.

"I became one of the top players in the world. So the president has every right to dream and to achieve his dream."

Eto'o was cagey when asked about the apparent decline of the top flight, however, stating his focus remained on Sampdoria's progress rather than the wider situation in Italian football.

"Several years ago I was asked the same question when I arrived at Inter," he added. "It was a period when a lot of big players were leaving [Italy].

"Back then we had Kaka, [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic, [Andriy] Shevchenko. Now, a lot of them have moved on but football is all about what happens on the pitch.

"I proved that by winning everything with Inter. I hope to keep Sampdoria winning, I don't want to hear talk of a crisis."

Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Destro completes Milan move

30 January 2015

780631header.jpg

Serie A giants Milan have completed their move for Roma striker Mattia Destro after weeks of speculation.

Mattia Destro has completed his move to Milan from Roma on an initial loan deal, with an option to make the move permanent.

Milan announced on Thursday that the Italy international had given the green light to the transfer and he subsequently underwent a medical at San Siro.

The details of the move have now been confirmed, with Milan posting on Twitter: "Mattia Destro arrives from Roma.

"Now officially at Milan, on loan with a right to buy."

Destro had long been linked with a move to Milan after becoming frustrated at a lack of playing time at Stadio Olimpico this season.

The striker has started just eight times in Serie A in 2014-15, scoring five goals.

Speaking shortly after undergoing his medical, Destro spoke of his desire to help Milan return to their prestigious standing in Serie A.

Milan failed to reach the UEFA Champions League for this season and Filippo Inzaghi's men sit 11th with 26 points from 20 matches this term.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Destro: I want to show Milan are great

30 January 2015

780508header.jpg

Roma striker Mattia Destro is set to be unveiled by Milan in the coming hours after he arrived in the northern Italian city for a medical.

Mattia Destro wants to show Milan are a "great" side as his transfer from Serie A rivals Roma nears completion.

Destro, who was granted leave by Roma a day prior, underwent a medical at La Madonnina in Milan on Thursday, ahead of an initial loan deal until the end of the season with the option of a permanent transfer.

The 23-year-old Italy international is relishing the opportunity to lead the 18-time Italian champions back to the top, starting against Parma on Sunday.

Milan sit 11th in the Serie A standings, 23 points adrift of league leaders and reigning champions Juventus.

"It was a wonderful welcome. I am very happy to be here and to be a part of this group," Destro told Milan's official website.

"I have already spoken to coach [Fillipo] Inzaghi, there is a big desire to do well and to show that Milan are a great side, starting as of this Sunday.

"I cannot wait to get out on the pitch and play. The coach will decide my role.

"This is a big occasion for me, I cannot wait to play and get to know everyone. I want to say a big hello to the fans, we will do everything to do really well in the league."

Destro has struggled for regular game time for Roma this season, with the forward making 16 league appearances - half of those from the bench.

In that time, Destro has scored five goals for Rudi Garcia's championship hopefuls.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Milan clubs should merge, says agent Raiola

30 January 2015

780639header.jpg

Football agent Mino Raiola has suggested Milan and rivals Inter should merge after falling on hard times in recent seasons.

The only way Milan and Inter can return to former glories is by merging into one team, according to football agent Mino Raiola.

The Milan rivals are two of the most successful teams in Serie A history and among the most prestigious clubs in the world.

However, both clubs have struggled in recent times and neither made the UEFA Champions League for the 2014-15 campaign.

Inter and Milan have continued to struggle domestically this term with the former sitting 10th, one spot above their neighbours on goal difference.

Raiola has now suggested that only a drastic step of creating one Milan team can solve their respective problems.

In an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport, he said: "AC Milan and Inter should merge. In the past they've been the richest clubs in the world but they never managed to survive without [Silvio] Berlusconi or [Massimo] Moratti.

"Only London nowadays can afford to have several top clubs at the same time, and even there they suffer.

"Either a Chinese man comes, one of those entrepreneurs that will soon buy all the most important assets on the planet and says 'I'll buy AC Milan, put a lot of money and become world champion' or the Milan clubs will not be able to thrive on their own."

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia: Roma will sign a replacement for Destro

30 January 2015

780720header.jpg

Mattia Destro's departure has left Roma short of strikers and head coach Rudi Garcia will sign a replacement before the transfer deadline.

Roma coach Rudi Garcia has stated his intention to sign a replacement for Mattia Destro before the end of the transfer window.

Italy international Destro departed for Serie A rivals Milan on Friday, the striker initially joining on loan with an option to make the move permanent.

Garcia insisted earlier this month that Destro would not be sold and the striker's departure has left a void.

The Frenchman insists a replacement will be brought in, however, and wants his team to focus on Saturday's clash with Empoli at Stadio Olimpico.

"We'll sign a striker to replace Mattia Destro," Garcia said.

"Clubs should only sign useful players that are going to add something to the group.

"There's a lot of talk about transfers at the moment, but the players know they need to focus on Empoli."

Roma, who are second, have slipped seven points adrift of leaders Juventus after a run of four draws in five league matches.

Garcia has warned of the dangers posed by an Empoli side that Roma have beaten in Serie A and the Coppa Italia this season.

"We're in the hunt for three titles and the numbers don't lie for my team," he added. "Let's not forget what we have achieved.

"Empoli are the most well-organised side in the league, we did a great job to unlock them in our last two matches.

"We need to be alert on dead-ball situations and attack at just the right moment to score."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Montella confirms Cuadrado will join Chelsea

30 January 2015

780846header.jpg

Fiorentina coach Vincenzo Montella has labelled Juan Cuadrado's sale to Chelsea as a "pragmatic" decision taken by the Italian club.

Fiorentina coach Vincenzo Montella has confirmed that winger Juan Cuadrado is to join Premier League side Chelsea, with Mohamed Salah moving the other way on loan.

Speculation has gathered pace throughout the transfer window that Colombia international Cuadrado would move to the Premier League leaders.

Montella was disappointed that Cuadrado - who will become a Chelsea player officially after the completion of a medical - is leaving, but stated the fee received was too good to turn down.

"Honestly, it was something that had to be done," Montella said.

"As a coach I'm disappointed, but on a pragmatic level the fee is so high that it's worth it.

"It's nobody's fault, we must absolutely not be distracted, and offer excuses, we must be supremely focused.

"He [Cuadrado] always demonstrated the utmost professionalism, and joy in playing. I'm happy for him, because he's gone to play in a very good team.

"At the moment I'm a bit sad, there are more resources in other leagues, that's a fact. Our appeal is diminished.

"We're getting a player in Salah who will have to adapt to our football, this is a league that's different from the Swiss and the English."

Cuadrado move to Stadio Artemi Franchi in July 2012 and has been a mainstay of Fiorentina's first team in the past two-and-a-half seasons.

The 26-year-old caught the eye of suitors with his performances at last year's World Cup, where he helped Colombia to the quarter-finals before they were eliminated by hosts Brazil.

La Liga giants Barcelona were linked with his services, but a switch to Camp Nou failed to materialise and he now joins a Chelsea side gunning for the Premier League, UEFA Champions League and League Cup titles.

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Strootman out for longer than expected

30 January 2015

780878header.jpg

Kevin Strootman underwent surgery on Friday and cartilaginous damage was discovered during the procedure.

Roma midfielder Kevin Strootman has revealed he will be sidelined longer than expected after undergoing knee surgery on Friday.

The Netherlands international on Thursday allayed fears that he is set for another long absence after suffering a setback in Sunday's 1-1 draw with Fiorentina.

That was only the 24-year-old's sixth Serie A appearance since returning from an anterior cruciate ligament injury, which he sustained in March last year.

Strootman has now stated that further damage was discovered during his operation.

He tweeted: "The scar tissue from my previous operation has been removed successfully today. Unfortunately some cartilaginous damage, caused by the knock in the Fiorentina match, was found too.

"This means I have to take a longer rest period than anticipated earlier and I am extremely disappointed that it will take much longer before I can be back on the pitch again."

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Crisis clubs meet as Parma head to Milan

29 January 2015

780326header.jpg

Two of Serie A's out-of-form sides meet at San Siro this weekend as Parma and Milan look to kickstart their failing seasons.

Parma head to Milan in Serie A this weekend hoping to put a difficult week off the field behind them as Filippo Inzaghi fights for his San Siro future.

Beset by financial worries, Parma have been in the headlines for all the wrong reasons after Antonio Cassano left the club, amid a threat of legal action over unpaid wages.

Spirits at the Ennio Tardini will not have been lifted by a last-gasp Coppa Italia elimination at the hands of Juventus in midweek.

A sixth-place finish last term did not bring European action due to tax issues, and Parma have since slumped to the foot of Serie A, 10 points from safety.

While Parma have struggled all season, Milan have displayed the worst form in Serie A since the season's resumption in the new year.

Winless since the brief winter break, Inzaghi is clinging to his job with Milan well adrift of the European places for a second straight campaign.

The former striker reportedly retains faith from Milan supremo Silvio Berlusconi and captain Riccardo Montolivo has issued a rallying call to the struggling squad.

"We have to take things one game at a time," he told Milan Channel.

"We can get back into the race for Europe, it's down to us. We have to solve our problems, and we have everything we need to succeed.

"We must all stand united, none of us is happy, we're all angry."

Inter are faring little better and sit just one place above their neighbours on goal difference.

A trip to Sassuolo may bring confidence though, given Inter have smashed Eusebio Di Francesco's men for seven in two of their three meetings.

Roma will hope to put some pressure on Juventus when they play Empoli a day before the champions' trip to Udinese - though a seven-point cushion and five-match winning run against the side from Friuli will have Massimiliano Allegri in bullish mood.

Fiorentina may head to Genoa on Saturday without key man Juan Cuadrado as a reported move to Chelsea nears, while top-five rivals Sampdoria and Lazio respectively travel to Torino and Cesena.

Napoli will hope to cement third in their trip to struggling Chievo, who will hope to see fellow scrappers Cagliari beaten at Atalanta, while Palermo host Verona.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Crisis clubs meet as Parma head to Milan

29 January 2015

780326header.jpg

Two of Serie A's out-of-form sides meet at San Siro this weekend as Parma and Milan look to kickstart their failing seasons.

Parma head to Milan in Serie A this weekend hoping to put a difficult week off the field behind them as Filippo Inzaghi fights for his San Siro future.

Beset by financial worries, Parma have been in the headlines for all the wrong reasons after Antonio Cassano left the club, amid a threat of legal action over unpaid wages.

Spirits at the Ennio Tardini will not have been lifted by a last-gasp Coppa Italia elimination at the hands of Juventus in midweek.

A sixth-place finish last term did not bring European action due to tax issues, and Parma have since slumped to the foot of Serie A, 10 points from safety.

While Parma have struggled all season, Milan have displayed the worst form in Serie A since the season's resumption in the new year.

Winless since the brief winter break, Inzaghi is clinging to his job with Milan well adrift of the European places for a second straight campaign.

The former striker reportedly retains faith from Milan supremo Silvio Berlusconi and captain Riccardo Montolivo has issued a rallying call to the struggling squad.

"We have to take things one game at a time," he told Milan Channel.

"We can get back into the race for Europe, it's down to us. We have to solve our problems, and we have everything we need to succeed.

"We must all stand united, none of us is happy, we're all angry."

Inter are faring little better and sit just one place above their neighbours on goal difference.

A trip to Sassuolo may bring confidence though, given Inter have smashed Eusebio Di Francesco's men for seven in two of their three meetings.

Roma will hope to put some pressure on Juventus when they play Empoli a day before the champions' trip to Udinese - though a seven-point cushion and five-match winning run against the side from Friuli will have Massimiliano Allegri in bullish mood.

Fiorentina may head to Genoa on Saturday without key man Juan Cuadrado as a reported move to Chelsea nears, while top-five rivals Sampdoria and Lazio respectively travel to Torino and Cesena.

Napoli will hope to cement third in their trip to struggling Chievo, who will hope to see fellow scrappers Cagliari beaten at Atalanta, while Palermo host Verona.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sassuolo v Inter: Ranocchia hopes turning point has come

30 January 2015

780703header.jpg

Inter's home defeat to Torino last week may be exactly what the team needed, according to defender Andrea Ranocchia.

Inter defender Andrea Ranocchia feels his side's last-gasp defeat at Torino will serve as motivation for the rest of the season.

The Italian giants travel to Sassuolo on Sunday looking to bounce back from a setback at San Siro last weekend.

Inter controlled the match, but were unable to score before Emiliano Moretti nodded in from three yards for Torino from a 94th-minute corner.

The home loss robbed Inter of momentum after a four-match unbeaten run under new boss Roberto Mancini that showed signs of promise.

New signings Xherdan Shaqiri and Lukas Podolski have lifted the mood at Inter but defeat to Torino was a blow on a day when a win would have sent them seventh.

Inter now sit 10th - just one point and one place above a Sassuolo side who have drawn 10 of their 20 Serie A fixtures this season.

"We're all really fired up now," Ranocchia told Sky Sport Italia.

"A defeat like [the one against Torino] can do us good and inspire us all to give something extra.

"We need to focus on picking up points. Anything can happen in football and we can take some points off the teams ahead of us when we meet head-to-head."

New Inter signing Marcelo Brozovic may feature for Mancini's men.

The Croatia midfielder has signed a two-year loan with the option for a permanent deal after leaving Dinamo Zagreb.

Sassuolo have enjoyed a promising campaign to date, having won four of their last seven matches last term to secure survival.

It is only their inability to turn draws into wins that is stopping them from sitting in the top half of the table.

They have won just one league game since November, an excellent 2-1 win at Milan in January.

Simone Zaza - called up to the Italy squad last year after his impressive form - looms as Sassuolo's biggest threat. He has seven goals in 15 Serie A games this season.

The two sides have met just three times, with Inter winning two of the previous fixtures 7-0.

Diego Milito scored twice in the first thrashing they handed out, in September 2013.

A closer clash at San Siro followed last term, which Inter edged 1-0, but they hammered Sassuolo again in September last year.

Mauro Icardi scored a hat-trick, while Pablo Daniel Osvaldo added two as the 10-man visitors were humiliated.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Udinese v Juventus: Pirlo not taking Serie A lead for granted

30 January 2015

780821header.jpg

Juventus' gap to Roma has increased in recent weeks, but midfielder Andrea Pirlo wants no-let up ahead of Sunday's Serie A trip to Udinese.

Andrea Pirlo has played down the significance of Juventus' seven-point gap to Roma at the top of Serie A and called for focus ahead of Sunday's trip to Udinese.

Juve's bid for a fourth consecutive Scudetto appears well on course, with the Turin club having lost just once in the league this season.

Nearest challengers Roma have hit a dip in form recently and a run of four draws in their past five league matches has seen Rudi Garcia's side fall slightly off the pace.

Veteran midfielder Pirlo expects Roma to fight back, though, and is wary of a tough visit to the Stadio Comunale Friuli.

"A seven-point lead is nothing," he told Juventus' official website. "It's [Udinese] a difficult venue to play at.

"They approach the game following a decent win at Empoli which took them away from the congested pack in mid-table, so they’ll be able to play with clear heads.

"We need to win to keep Roma at bay, they'll give us a run for our money right until the end."

Pirlo's distinguished career has seen him win five Serie A titles with Juve and Milan, while twice winning the UEFA Champions League with the latter.

Even at the age of 35, the former Inter man remains hungry to add to his medal haul.

"That's my character, I'm not the type of person who needs to find my focus in the days leading up to the game," he added.

"I'm able to enjoy a laugh and a joke, but the minute I get on the pitch and hear the crowd, I'm immediately in the zone and focused on the target.

"You need to possess the desire to keep winning, playing and having fun. Having the right mindset is crucial for a footballer."

Massimiliano Allegri's side, who will give a late check to Arturo Vidal after he hurt his knee in Wednesday's 1-0 win at Parma in the Coppa Italia, head to Udinese having not lost in the league in three months.

Furthermore, Juve have won the past six encounters between the two teams and have not suffered defeat at Udinese since April 2010.

If Andrea Stramaccioni's side are to spring a surprise they will need to return to the form that saw them win four of their opening five home league matches this term.

Their last victory at the Stadio Comunale Friuli came in October, but a battling 2-1 win at Empoli last week saw them climb into the top 10.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Review: Roma drop more points, Genoa and Fiorentina draw

31 January 2015

roma-cropped_1l2gpfr706rzh1i3lj353rj029.jpg

Roma were held by Empoli to lose more ground in Serie A as both teams have a player sent off, while Genoa and Fiorentina shared a 1-1 draw.

Roma's Serie A title bid suffered another setback as they were held to an ill-tempered 1-1 draw against Empoli.

Rudi Garcia's second-placed team now lie six points behind reigning champions Juventus, who can extend their lead when they travel to Udinese on Sunday.

Four draws in five league matches had seen Roma lose ground ahead of Empoli's trip to the Stadio Olimpico and they were left with a tough task when Kostas Manolas was sent off for a professional foul on Riccardo Saponara and Massimo Maccarone converted the resulting 39th-minute penalty.

It was 10-a-side in first-half stoppage time as Saponara was shown a second yellow card for handball.

Roma full-back Maicon, who was at fault in the build-up to Manolas' red card, levelled the scores when he found the bottom corner before the hour.

Roma pushed relentlessly for a winner - substitute Davide Astori hitting the crossbar - but there would be no further breakthrough on a day in which the Eternal City club signed Seydou Doumbia striker from CSKA Moscow.

A group of Genoa’s fans boycotted the first 10 minutes of their team's home game against Fiorentina to protest against perceived refereeing injustices and the official's decisions in the 1-1 draw at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris will have done little to win them round.

Stefano Sturaro - making his final Genoa appearance before joining Juventus - had a hand in the opening goal shortly after the dissenters arrived.

The midfielder's header rebounded off the post and struck unfortunate Fiorentina goalkeeper Ciprian Tatarusanu before going in.

Gonzalo Rodriguez equalised in the 54th minute amid suspicions of offside before Genoa defender Nicolas Andres was sent off for a second caution nine minutes from time.

Fiorentina were unable to force a victory in their first game since the club confirmed that Juan Cuadrado will join Premier League leaders Chelsea.