• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

Rossi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Berlusconi not looking to sell Milan

21 January 2015

775836header.jpg

Despite Milan's poor on-field play and apparent financial troubles, owner Silvio Berlusconi continues to insist he is not going anywhere.

Milan owner and former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has moved to refute speculation that he is looking to sell the Serie A club.

Reports in the Italian press have suggested that Berlusconi is extremely worried by the team's performances on the pitch.

Genoa-based newspaper Il Secolo XIX claimed on Wednesday that Berlusconi is eager to find a buyer, but he has been quick to stress otherwise.

A statement released through Italian news wire ANSA read: "In spite of numerous disclaimers, indiscretions about a potential sale of Milan emerge recurrently, Milan's President Silvio Berlusconi reiterates, once again, that these hypotheses are void of substance."

Milan are winless in the league in 2015 and sit eighth in Serie A, seven points adrift of a UEFA Champions League qualification place.

Filippo Inzaghi's men face a crucial league encounter at fifth-placed Lazio on Saturday.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leverkusen take Jedvaj on permanent deal

20 January 2015

775096header.jpg

Bayer Leverkusen have signed Tin Jedvaj on a permanent basis, just six months into a two-year loan deal from Roma.

Bayer Leverkusen have announced the signature of Croatia international Tin Jedvaj from Roma for an undisclosed fee.

The defender joined the Bundesliga outfit on a two-year loan during the close-season, which included an option to buy before the end of the 2015-16 campaign.

And Leverkusen have seen fit to snap up Jedvaj at the first opportunity, tying the 19-year-old down to a five-and-a-half-year contract.

"I'm happy," said Jedvaj, who has made 14 appearances in the German top flight this term, scoring two goals. "Bayer 04 are the best option for me and good for my development. I really want to get stuck in at Leverkusen."

Leverkusen CEO Michael Schade added: "We're very happy to secure the signing of a long-term deal with Tin Jedvaj after fair and amicable negotiations with AS Roma. He has made outstanding progress over the past few months.

"Bayer 04 have again demonstrated the commitment to build on young and talented players in the future.

"He will be a key member of our squad over the coming years."

Sporting director Rudi Voller also spoke highly of the former Dinamo Zagreb man.

"Tin Jedvaj has great potential and has consistently shown that in the few months he's been at Bayer 04," he said. "His versatility will certainly pay off for us. So we decided to sign Tin straight away."

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juve win Mutu compensation appeal

22 January 2015

776182header.jpg

Italian giants Juventus will not have to pay compensation to Chelsea for the signing of Adrian Mutu following a successful appeal.

Juventus have won an appeal that means they will not have to pay compensation to Chelsea for former striker Adrian Mutu.

Romanian Mutu had his contract cancelled by Chelsea in 2004 after a positive drugs test for cocaine and was subsequently hit with a seven-month ban.

Upon his return to action Mutu signed for Serie A champions Juve via Livorno, who acted as an intermediary in the deal.

Chelsea subsequently sought compensation, which they were granted by a FIFA dispute panel following a ruling from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

The decision was immediately appealed and Juve have now stated that their claim has been upheld.

"Juventus Fooball Club announces that the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne has notified us of the decision made by the arbitrators in the dispute that pitted Chelsea against Juventus regarding the signing of Adrian Mutu," a statement from Juventus read.

"The arbitrators have completely dismissed the demands made by Chelsea, ordering them [Chelsea] to pay the legal costs of the case.

"This ruling has no effect on the financial balance of Juventus Football Club because the club, fully aware of being in the right, chose not to allow for any risk in funds over the developing litigation."

Mutu was later sold by Juve to fellow Italian side Fiorentina for a fee reported to be in the region of €6millon.

Edinson Cavani

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sampdoria land Udinese duo Muriel and Coda

22 January 2015

776261header.jpg

Udinese duo Luis Muriel and Andrea Coda have completed their moves to Serie A rivals Sampdoria.

Sampdoria have raided Udinese to complete the signings of Luis Muriel and Andrea Coda.

The duo have moved to Stadio Luigi Ferraris on initial loan deals, with Sampdoria set to make the transfers permanent at the end of of the season.

Head coach Sinisa Mihajlovic could hand the pair a debut in Sunday's encounter with Palermo.

"President Massimo Ferrero and Sampdoria officially welcome Luis Fernando Muriel Fruto and Andrea Coda, who, from a few minutes ago, are finally Blucerchiati players," Sampdoria said in a statement on their official website on Thursday.

"The striker and defender have chosen squad number 24 and 25 respectively and come to Genoa from Udinese on a temporary basis.

"The agreement provides Sampdoria with an obligation to acquire the players permanently at the end of the 2014-15 season.

"Sampdoria have signed a contract with the players until 2019 [Muriel] and 2017 [Coda]."

It had been feared that the deals would not go through after Udinese cancelled negotiations last week when Sampdoria raised concerns over Muriel's fitness.

The forward, who scored 15 goals in 57 league appearances during his time at Udinese, has struggled with a thigh injury this season.

Defender Coda has been with Udinese since 2006, but spent the 2013-14 season on loan at Livorno.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini eyes continued Inter improvement

22 January 2015

776190header.jpg

Inter may have coasted to the Coppa Italia quarter-finals by beating Sampdoria, but coach Roberto Mancini is still seeking improvement.

Inter head coach Roberto Mancini took plenty of positives from Wednesday's 2-0 Coppa Italia victory over Sampdoria, but insists there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Xherdan Shaqiri's first goal for Inter and a late strike from Mauro Icardi - who had earlier missed a penalty - proved enough to sink a Sampdoria side that finished the match at San Siro with nine men.

Mancini was particularly pleased with the impact of January signings Lukas Podolski and Shaqiri, who combined for the opener.

However, the Italian - who witnessed his side play out a dour stalemate at Empoli last weekend - wants to see a higher tempo and greater defensive solidarity from the team.

"Shaqiri's class and personality was clear for all to see. I'm happy that he and Podolski had such a good game," the coach told reporters.

"I think we can do even better though. Once the team is more compact they'll be able to play with even more quality.

"We need to improve our ball circulation and play high up the pitch with confidence. We also have to improve the defensive side of our game.

"Once we do that better we'll be able to push up high and risk the odd counter-attack, which is what we should have done against Empoli on Saturday."

Inter will now turn their attentions to Sunday's league clash with Torino.

Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Inter v Torino: D´Ambrosio talks up Mancini impact

23 January 2015

776654header.jpg

Inter are in good spirits ahead of a home clash against Torino at the San Siro on Sunday.

Inter defender Danilo D'Ambrosio said Roberto Mancini's influence has been keenly felt ahead of their clash with Torino on Sunday.

Mancini - appointed as Walter Mazzarri's successor in November - has lost just two competitive matches at the club.

Since returning from the mid-season break, Inter are unbeaten in four, and the January transfer window signings of Xherdan Shaqiri and Lukas Podolski have set Mancini's side up for a strong finish.

Inter's latest win came in the last 16 of the Coppa Italia on Thursday, as Shaqiri and Mauro Icardi scored in a 2-0 success against Sampdoria.

That set up a quarter-final clash with defending champions Napoli and, with Inter still involved in the UEFA Europa League, cup competitions represent their best chance of success this season.

Inter still sit ninth in the Serie A table but can climb the standings in the next month.

Their next four games are against bottom-half sides and D'Ambrosio said under Mancini they have a new and improved attitude.

"Mancini is putting across his winning mentality," D'Ambrosio told Inter's official website.

"[It is] a big team mentality - an Inter mentality.

"And with those two players [Shaqiri and Podolski], it's easier to carry out what the gaffer wants.

"We wanted to come out and produce a positive performance [against Sampdoria] after the Empoli game.

"We showed the right attitude."

Inter defender Juan Jesus will miss the match through suspension.

Only two sides have scored less than Torino's 16 league goals but, despite that, they sit 13th and are unbeaten in six.

A 1-1 home draw with Milan earlier this month was impressive and they won 3-2 at Cesena last time out, with Maxi Lopez netting an 87th-minute winner.

History is on Inter's side, with Torino having failed to beat them in their last 21 encounters.

Torino's last success against Inter came back in February 1994, although they have drawn three of the last four meetings.

That includes the clash earlier this season, in which a 10-man Inter played out a goalless draw in Turin.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lazio v Milan: Mauricio hopeful of debut

23 January 2015

776678header.jpg

Lazio aim to push into Serie A's top three on Saturday when they host Milan - and they could have a new signing involved.

New signing Mauricio could make his debut for Lazio against Milan on Saturday as the capital club look to push into the UEFA Champions League positions in Serie A.

Lazio will start the match in fifth in Serie A on 31 points, but victory could see them finish the round third if Napoli and Sampdoria both fail to win.

Sampdoria host Palermo on Sunday, while Napoli will welcome Genoa to the Stadio San Paolo on Monday.

Lazio dropped to fifth last week when they lost 1-0 at home to Napoli but Mauricio - who signed for Stefano Pioli's side on loan from Sporting Lisbon on Wednesday - feels they are more than capable of reaching next season's Champions League.

Mauricio made 14 starts in the Portuguese Primeira Liga this season, and is confident he is ready to play against Milan just days after joining Lazio.

"I am a strong defender and I have a good speed. I am also suitable as a full-back," Mauricio said, in quotes reported by Corriere dello Sport.

"Physically I'm ready because I was training every day with Sporting Lisbon. On Saturday we will see with the coach."

Mauricio was one of two signings made by Lazio this week, with Wesley Hoedt also joining from AZ Alkmaar.

The 20-year-old Dutchman will not make the move to Rome until the end of the season, though.

Lazio entertain Milan having won six of their past eight matches in all competitions at the Stadio Olimpico, losing only to Napoli and Serie A leaders Juventus.

Milan, who sit eighth, have not won in five away league games and their coach Filippo Inzaghi - who could hand a debut to Suso, a January signing from Liverpool - is beginning to come under some pressure.

The 18-time Italian champions lost 1-0 at home to Atalanta last week and sit five points adrift of Lazio.

Inzaghi's team have taken just one point from their three Serie A fixtures since the end of the mid-season break.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lazio 3 Milan 1: Parolo and Klose seal victory

24 January 2015

777650header.jpg

Lazio came from behind with the help of two quickfire goals to extend Milan's winless run to five matches with a 3-1 victory in Serie A.

Lazio climbed into Serie A's top three on Saturday after two goals at the start of the second half set them on their way to a 3-1 come-from-behind win over Milan at the Stadio Olimpico.

Milan - who finished with 10 men after Philippe Mexes' stoppage-time tussle with Stefano Mauri - gained an early lead in the Italian capital as former Roma man Jeremy Menez took advantage of Dusan Basta's mistake to race away and provide an accomplished finish for his 10th league goal of the season.

Miroslav Klose and Antonio Candreva were both guilty of wasting chances for the home side to equalise in the first half, but after the interval Lazio turned the match around in the space of four minutes.

First Klose set up Marco Parolo for a fine effort, before Riccardo Montolivo's misplaced pass let the former Germany international in and he made no mistake in front of goal.

Parolo then added a second inside the final 10 minutes, although it may have come at a cost with substitute Filip Djordjevic appearing to injure himself by treading on the ball in the build-up.

Victory saw Lazio climb above both Sampdoria and Napoli into third, with those sides not in action until Sunday and Monday respectively.

For Milan, defeat extended their winless run in the league to five matches, as Filippo Inzaghi's men continue to struggle to find any degree of consistency in their results.

Lazio felt they should have had a penalty in the second minute when Stefan Radu went down under a challenge from Giacomo Bonaventura, but all the Romanian received was a yellow card after protesting too much to referee Paolo Mazzoleni.

And the home side were further ruing that decision when Milan took the lead two minutes later.

Menez robbed Basta on the halfway line and broke clear before firing a low left-footed finish into the right-hand corner.

Lazio threatened an equaliser in the 18th minute, but Diego Lopez was quick to rush from his line to thwart Klose before Mexes blocked Candreva's follow-up effort.

Candreva then crossed for Klose, but the German headed wide when he ought to have brought the scores level.

The same duo were in action again midway through the half as this time Klose teed up Candreva, who scuffed his effort into the ground which allowed Lopez to make a one-handed save.

Lazio continued to press for an equaliser and felt they should have had a spot-kick for a second time when Mexes tugged on the shift of Mauri, but once again Mazzoleni waved the appeals away.

After threatening a leveller for much of the first half, one duly arrived for Lazio two minutes into the second when Klose sent in a superb cross from the right and Parolo cushioned a first-time finish into the net from 10 yards.

Klose then turned from provider to goalscorer four minutes later as he capitalised on Montolivo's mistake.

The midfielder's loose pass was wide of Mexes and Klose nipped in before slotting beyond Lopez.

With nine minutes remaining, Lazio wrapped up the points when Parolo swept in his second after Djordjevic had failed to make a telling connection on Candreva's low ball into the middle.

As tempers flared in stoppage time, Mexes grabbed Mauri by the throat having earlier been provoked, and received a straight red card to cap another miserable outing for Milan.

Elsewhere on Saturday, Luca Rossettini scored at both ends as Cagliari defeated 10-man Sassuolo 2-1.

The defender gave Cagliari the lead in the 20th minute, but then put through his own net with 14 minutes remaining.

His blushes were spared by substitute Duje Cop's winner three minutes later, before Sassuolo saw Francesco Acerbi sent off for a second caution late on.

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sampdoria land Udinese duo Muriel and Coda

22 January 2015

776261header.jpg

Udinese duo Luis Muriel and Andrea Coda have completed their moves to Serie A rivals Sampdoria.

Sampdoria have raided Udinese to complete the signings of Luis Muriel and Andrea Coda.

The duo have moved to Stadio Luigi Ferraris on initial loan deals, with Sampdoria set to make the transfers permanent at the end of of the season.

Head coach Sinisa Mihajlovic could hand the pair a debut in Sunday's encounter with Palermo.

"President Massimo Ferrero and Sampdoria officially welcome Luis Fernando Muriel Fruto and Andrea Coda, who, from a few minutes ago, are finally Blucerchiati players," Sampdoria said in a statement on their official website on Thursday.

"The striker and defender have chosen squad number 24 and 25 respectively and come to Genoa from Udinese on a temporary basis.

"The agreement provides Sampdoria with an obligation to acquire the players permanently at the end of the 2014-15 season.

"Sampdoria have signed a contract with the players until 2019 [Muriel] and 2017 [Coda]."

It had been feared that the deals would not go through after Udinese cancelled negotiations last week when Sampdoria raised concerns over Muriel's fitness.

The forward, who scored 15 goals in 57 league appearances during his time at Udinese, has struggled with a thigh injury this season.

Defender Coda has been with Udinese since 2006, but spent the 2013-14 season on loan at Livorno.

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inzaghi not fearful of the sack

23 January 2015

776919header.jpg

A poor run of form has led to reports Filippo Inzaghi will be dismissed as Milan head coach, but he insists the pressure is nothing new.

Milan boss Filippo Inzaghi is not fearful of losing his job as speculation mounts that he could be replaced at San Siro.

The ex-Milan striker Italian replaced former team-mate Clarence Seedorf in the dugout in the close-season for his first senior managerial post.

However, Inzaghi has struggled to help the club improve their on-pitch fortunes and a four-match winless Serie A run has left them in eighth place - seven points adrift of the UEFA Champions League places.

Reports in Italy have suggested that Milan have sounded out former Roma boss Luciano Spalletti and that defeat at Lazio on Saturday could spell the end for Inzaghi.

Inzaghi is unconcerned, though, claiming that there is always pressure when you are head coach of a club the size of Milan.

"The president [Silvio Berlusconi] has been calling me all week twice a day," Inzaghi said. "I am fully aware of his closeness and that of the club's in an uneasy moment.

"I am sure that we will come out of it. Every match is decisive for me. We have two tough matches against Lazio [Milan also face the Rome club in the Coppa Italia on Tuesday]. Nothing has been compromised because we’re in a normal position in the league table.

"Often all you need is just one match, a spark to get out of it. I expected a bit of a telling off from Berlusconi which didn't happen because he knows that we're giving our all and working very well.

"A coach makes mistakes even after 25 years of coaching. I am moving on with my team convinced of my ideas.

"The criticisms make me stronger, perhaps because in these 20 years I didn't always receive compliments. I am sure that we will do well based on the hunger that I saw in training by my players. I feel very calm."

Milan's latest setback came in a 1-0 home defeat to Atalanta last weekend and Inzaghi stated everyone is desperate to bounce back at the Stadio Olimpico this weekend.

He added: "We all have the desire to show what we can do. Tomorrow we have to show this on the pitch. Words serve very little."

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mertens rules out Napoli exit

24 January 2015

777324header.jpg

Despite being linked with a move away as he struggles to be a Napoli regular, Dries Mertens is keen to stay and fight for his future.

Dries Mertens insists he has no intention of leaving Napoli during the January transfer window amid reports linking him with a move to Schalke.

The Belgium international has struggled to hold down a regular start at San Paolo this season as head coach Rafael Benitez juggles his squad selection to compete in three competitions.

Mertens would like to play more for the Serie A club, but understands the reasoning behind Benitez's rotation policy.

Schalke have been linked with the 27-year-old winger, he says a move away is not something he is considering.

"Of course I want to play more, but I do understand where coach Benitez is coming from," he told Het Nieuwsblad.

"If you are a wide attacker in Italy, you need to do a lot of defending and running, so that is very exhausting. Therefore the coach rotates constantly.

"This week even Gonzalo Higuain was on the bench, so that says something. And the club is also apparently very satisfied. I really see no reason to move.

"I am not going to leave Napoli for another club during the January transfer window."

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Parma deny Cassano legal action rumours

23 January 2015

777032header.jpg

Parma have confirmed that Antonio Cassano has requested payments owed to him, but insist the Italy international has not begun legal action.

Beleaguered Serie A club Parma have moved to deny reports that forward Antonio Cassano has started legal proceedings against the club.

Reports in the Italian media suggested that the Italy international had made the club aware of his intention to take action over unpaid wages.

Parma confirmed that the forward has requested money owed to him, but that formal proceedings have not been started.

"With reference to the news published in the press that Antonio Cassano sent a 'formal notice' to the club, Parma FC clarifies that the stories are entirely without foundation," read a statement on the club's official website.

"[Cassano] simply requested the payment of the sums owed to him, but did not legalise any 'formal notice', nor established a deadline for payment, nor announced a decision to take specific legal action."

Parma have been blighted by financial problems in recent months and the club were deducted one point and fined €5,000 in December for missing tax payments, as well as failing to pay the wages of players and staff.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barzagli back in Juve squad

24 January 2015

777305header.jpg

Juventus defender Andrea Barzagli is in line to make a long-awaited return from injury against Chievo.

Andrea Barzagli's injury nightmare is coming to an end, and the centre-back could make his first appearance of the season in Juventus' Serie A clash with Chievo on Sunday.

Italy defender Barzagli has not played since his country's final World Cup game against Uruguay last June due to a troublesome heel problem.

The 33-year-old underwent surgery on the injury in July, before suffering a setback in his recovery when a stress fracture was discovered three months later.

However, Barzagli could be in line to make his first Juve appearance since last May when Chievo visit Turin this weekend.

Speaking at his pre-match media briefing on Saturday, Juve boss Massimiliano Allegri said: "Andrea Barzagli will be in my squad.

"He's still a while away from peak condition, but is coming on well."

Allegri also confirmed that playmaker Andrea Pirlo has returned to training after suffering a bout of flu.

The 35-year-old is to be monitored on Saturday before Allegri decides whether to select him against Chievo.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini coy on Toure links

24 January 2015

777337header.jpg

As speculation of an audacious bid for Manchester City's Yaya Toure mounts, Inter coach Roberto Mancini refuses to be drawn on the issue.

Roberto Mancini was coy when quizzed on reports linking Inter with a close-season swoop for Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure.

Speculation in the Italian media has suggested that Mancini is keen on a reunion with the Ivory Coast captain, who he brought to the Etihad Stadium during his time as City manager.

Toure's future with the Premier League champions was called into question earlier this month when he hinted he would consider his future at City in an interview with CNN.

Mancini, who has been reshaping Inter's squad since returning to San Siro in November, hailed Toure as one of the world's best footballers, but would not be drawn on whether he is a target.

"I rate Yaya Toure as one of the best players in the world," he said. "But he belongs to Manchester City.

"It's a difficult issue now, but we'll see in the future."

Mancini, though, is in no doubt that Inter do have the ability to lure players of Toure's quality to Milan.

"Inter have lots of appeal, more than other clubs at the top," he added. "There's a long history going back 100 years."

Inter visit Torino in Serie A on Sunday, with Mancini confirming that forward Xherdan Shaqiri is still unlikely to complete a full 90 minutes, while centre-back Andrea Ranocchia could return to the squad following a knee injury.

Edinson Cavani

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Review: Juve go seven points clear as Roma draw again

25 January 2015

778230header.jpg

Serie A champions Juventus remain on course to retain their title after beating Chievo 2-0 prior to Roma drawing 1-1 with Fiorentina.

Juventus stretched their lead at the top of Serie A to seven points on Sunday as they beat Chievo 2-0 before Roma were held to a 1-1 draw at Fiorentina.

Paul Pogba scored his fourth goal in as many games and played a big hand in Juve's second goal, scored by substitute Stephan Lichtsteiner, as the Turin giants secured their eighth victory in an 11-game unbeaten run in Serie A.

Massimiliano Allegri's men were unable to open the scoring in a frustrating first half, but their quality shone through after the break as Chievo suffered a defeat that ensures they remain in the relegation zone.

Juve will take some stopping in their quest for a fourth consecutive Scudetto, with Roma's title hopes suffering a setback when they drew for the fourth time in their last five Serie A matches.

Adem Ljajic returned to haunt Fiorentina with an equaliser four minutes into the second half, after Mario Gomez followed up his double against Atalanta in midweek with the opening goal for Vincenzo Montella's side in the first half.

Rudi Garcia's Roma lost further ground on Juve after again failing to secure maximum points, while a draw for Fiorentina leaves them in sixth spot.

Palermo were controversially denied victory at Sampdoria. Michel Morganella's strike crossed the line after bouncing down off the crossbar, but the goal was not given and the game finished 1-1.

Eder put fourth-placed Samp in front after only six minutes, but Franco Vazquez levelled earlier in the second half and the visitors would have secured all three points if the officials had spotted that Morganella's effort went in.

Veteran striker Samuel Eto'o, 33, was paraded on the pitch by Samp president Massimo Ferrero alongside fellow new recruit Luis Muriel after the game.

Cesena won for the first time since the opening day of the season at the expense of Parma, who suffered a 2-1 home defeat in the battle between the bottom two at Stadio Ennio Tardini.

Parma were the last side to have suffered defeat to Cesena and Alejandro Rodriguez, the scorer of the only goal in that previous meeting, again popped up with the winner a minute from time to pile further pressure on Roberto Donadoni.

Torino inflicted a first Serie A defeat in six matches on Inter, with Emiliano Moretti on target in stoppage time to earn a 1-0 win at San Siro.

Verona were 1-0 winners over Atalanta in the other game to be played on Sunday, courtesy of Javier Saviola's first Serie A goal.

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Eto´o presented to Sampdoria fans

25 January 2015

778087header.jpg

Samuel Eto'o was presented to Sampdoria fans on Sunday as he prepares to officially complete his move from Everton.

Samuel Eto'o was presented to Sampdoria's fans on Sunday, with his move back to Serie A on the brink of being officially finalised.

Veteran striker Eto'o, 33, was paraded on the pitch by club president Massimo Ferrero alongside fellow new recruit Luis Muriel following the 1-1 draw with Palermo.

The Cameroonian had earlier taken his place in the stands to watch his new side, who were pegged back after Eder's sixth-minute opener.

Eto'o also posted a picture of himself wearing a Sampdoria training top on Twitter on Sunday morning, adding the message: "Successful medical. Thank you Dr Parfait Ondo. Ready for a new challenge!!!"

The four-time African Player of the Year only joined previous club Everton in August after his contract at Chelsea expired. He made 14 Premier League appearances this season, scoring three goals.

The move will herald a second spell in Serie A for Eto'o, who spent two years with Inter from 2009, during which time he scored 53 times in all competitions.

Everton duly posted a statement on their official website on Sunday, confirming Eto'o has undergone a medical and is set to officially complete his switch to Sampdoria on Monday.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Strootman injury not "serious" - Garcia

26 January 2015

778283header.jpg

Roma midfielder Kevin Strootman's latest injury concern is not "serious" according to coach Rudi Garcia.

Roma coach Rudi Garcia played down concerns surrounding Kevin Strootman after the midfielder limped off during the capital club's 1-1 draw at Fiorentina on Sunday.

Strootman was substituted in the 34th minute at the Stadio Artemio Franchi - just his sixth Serie A appearance since returning from an anterior cruciate ligament injury, which he sustained in March last year.

But speaking after the match, Garcia claimed Strootman's situation was not "serious" and that the 24-year-old Dutchman had simply been withdrawn as a precaution.

"It doesn't look like Strootman's injury is serious but the doctor has seen him because his knee is still a delicate area," Roma's coach said.

"Kevin has had a tough time of it with injuries and we hope it's nothing serious."

Strootman has played 31 Serie A matches for Roma since joining from PSV Eindhoven before last season.

The Netherlands captain has been linked with a move to Manchester United under former national team coach Louis van Gaal, although this latest injury setback may make the Premier League club wary.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

No ´major problems´ with Nicolas Frey´s head wound

26 January 2015

778284header.jpg

Chievo defender Nicolas Frey was discharged from hospital on Sunday after suffering a cut to the head in his team's 2-0 loss to Juventus.

Chievo claimed defender Nicolas Frey was cleared of any major injury after being taken to hospital on Sunday with a severe cut to the head, which he sustained against Juventus in Serie A.

Frey was stretchered off the field just before half-time at Juventus Stadium after clashing heads with the hosts' Patrice Evra.

A "lacerated wound" on the right side of Frey's forehead immediately started bleeding and Chievo medical staff sent him to a hospital in Turin, where the Verona-based club claimed the 30-year-old was cleared of "major problems".

"The first investigations carried out... in the presence of the doctors Giuliano Corradini and Pietro Ferrari of the medical staff of Chievo, have ruled out major problems," a statement on Chievo's website read.

"Frey was discharged a few minutes ago [on Sunday] and this week appropriate checks will be carried out."

Juventus went on to win 2-0 at home, with Evra, too, later substituted in the 73rd minute.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Trezeguet confirms retirement

26 January 2015

778285header.jpg

David Trezeguet has retired from playing football and claims he will join former club Juventus in a promotional capacity.

Former Juventus and France international striker David Trezeguet has confirmed he has retired from playing after a 20-year career.

Over the weekend, reports in the Argentinian media had claimed Trezeguet had retired, and the 37-year-old verified that on Sunday through French sports newspaper L'Equipe.

Trezeguet played for Pune City in the inaugural Indian Super League in 2014, scoring just two goals in nine matches as his team finished sixth out of eight teams, but he revealed he had already started to consider retirement before heading to India.

"Before going out to play in India, I had the idea to move on," Trezeguet said.

Trezeguet played for eight clubs in his career but is best known for his 11 seasons with Juventus, where he played 245 league games and scored 138 goals in Italy's top-two tiers of football.

The World Cup and European Championship winner with France wants to return to the Turin-based club now that he has hung up his boots.

"The idea is that I will participate in the promotion of Juventus' image in the world," Trezeguet said.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fiorentina agree return of Gilardino on loan

26 January 2015

778390header.jpg

Alberto Gilardino has ended a five-month stint in China to return to Fiorentina on loan until the end of the season.

Fiorentina have brought striker Alberto Gilardino back to the club on loan from Guangzhou Evergrande until the end of the season.

The 32-year-old only spent five months in China having left Genoa in July, but he was still able to score five goals to help Evergrande win the league title.

However, the lure of Serie A proved too much for the Italy international and he returns to the Artemio Franchi three years after leaving.

During his first spell with the club Gilardino scored 59 goals in all competitions and improving on that is his main priority.

"Today's a big day for me, coming back to Florence," he told the club's official website. "I'm really happy to be here. It's great to be back and I'm raring to go.

"I want to prove myself in Serie A again after five months away. I'm really up for it and I feel good physically.

"I think the objective is to get back up among the very best so that we can be involved in the Champions League."

Gilardino completed the details of his loan move on Monday after watching Fiorentina draw 1-1 with Roma on Sunday.