• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Okaka: Black players always have to give more

617501_heroa.jpg

By Tom Webber
Nov 29, 2014 10:50:00

The former Roma striker has suggested it is harder for black players to gain recognition on the international stage following his Italy debut this September

Sampdoria's Stefano Okaka has revealed his opinion that he might have made his debut for Italy sooner, were he not black.

The 25-year-old has scored just two goals in 12 Serie A appearances for high-flying Sampdoria so far this season, but was called into the Azzurri fold for the first time by Antonio Conte for the internationals in September.

It was a dream debut for the striker as he came on from the bench to score the winning goal in the 1-0 friendly against Albania, but he feels his skin colour could be a reason for his delayed progress to the international scene.

"If I was white, I would be considered more of what they are: a black always has to give something more," Okaka said in an interview with La Gazzetta.

"I feel totally Italian. When in May and 20 days ago they called me to offer me to play for Nigeria, I said no because I did not feel 'natural', such as what happened when Conte called me for Italy.

"But my past in the youth levels is there, and today I am like a tree that does not know its roots."

The former Roma and Parma man went on to talk about his aggresive on-field mentality, which he believes to be one of his most positive attributes.

"I am Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Okaka, and my mum said to me as a kid: 'Stefano, you transform on the pitch'," he added.

"It is true, I become the exact opposite. Out with the good-nature, in there I am a beast that does not look at anybody. I think it's my strength.

"For 90 minutes I hate all of those who play against me."

Fourth-placed Sampdoria could rise above Napoli and into the Champions League qualification places with a win when the pair face off on Monday.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Michu undergoes ankle surgery

28 November 2014

746859header.jpg

Napoli attacker Michu has undergone surgery on a recurring ankle injury, the club has announced.

The Spaniard has struggled to find his form since joining the Serie A outfit on a season-long loan from Swansea City and is yet to score in three league outings for Rafael Benitez's men.

A stellar first season in south Wales saw Michu hailed as one of the bargains of the transfer window following his £2million signing from Rayo Vallecano in 2012, but ankle problems blighted his progress last term.

After netting two goals in 17 Premier League games, Michu was shipped out to Napoli on a temporary deal with a view to a permanent switch.

However, the former Celta Vigo man's ankle issues have returned and Napoli announced the forward had undergone a keyhole procedure on Thursday.

"Michu has undergone arthroscopic cleaning his right ankle in a clinic in Vitoria in Spain," read a short statement.

Napoli ensured their progression to the last 32 of the UEFA Europa League with a goalless draw at Sparta Prague on Thursday.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Review: Sassuolo extend run, Lazio held by Chievo

29 November 2014

748619header.jpg

Sassuolo extended their club-record unbeaten run in Serie A to seven matches with a 2-1 win over visitors Verona on Saturday.

Eusebio Di Francesco's men had to do things the hard way after falling behind in the seventh minute.

Verona looked lively during the early exchanges and Vangelis Moras nodded them ahead from a corner, the defender scoring his first Serie A goal since May 2009.

Sassuolo eventually drew level in the 50th minute, however, as Nicola Sansone found the net with the outside of his foot from the edge of the box.

The hosts completed the turnaround with 13 minutes to go as Saphir Taider, who had until then done very little, slid in at the back post to secure victory.

The day's late kick-off saw Stefano Pioli return to his former team Chievo with Lazio, who could not find a way past veteran goalkeeper Albano Bizzarri in a 0-0 draw.

Lazio tried to take the initiative as they pushed forward right from the start, with Antonio Candreva and Marco Parolo both going close early on.

Dutch defender Stefan de Vrij almost got the better of Bizzarri with a long-range effort that looked to be dipping just under the crossbar, but the goalkeeper rose to the challenge.

The second half saw Chievo come out of their shells and Mariano Izco went close to breaking the deadlock as he fired into the side-netting.

Bizzarri was the hero on two further occasions in the final 20 minutes, though, the 37-year-old producing a fine save to keep out Stefano Mauri's ferocious half-volley, before saving from De Vrij's late header.

The result sees Chievo move out of the bottom three until Sunday at least, while Lazio failed to move into the top four.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Review: Juve leave it late, Roma win thriller

30 November 2014

667321header.jpg

Andrea Pirlo earned 10-man Juventus a dramatic 2-1 victory with a last-gasp winner against city rivals Torino in Serie A on Sunday.

The 35-year-old rifled in from 25 yards deep into second-half stoppage time to cruelly deny Torino and stretch his side's winning run at home in the league to 25 matches.

Juve looked destined to have to settle for a draw after Torino's Bruno Peres scored a superb individual goal midway through the first half, cancelling out Arturo Vidal's twice-taken penalty in the 15th minute.

The home side were even reduced to 10 men 12 minutes from time when Stephan Lichtsteiner was shown a second yellow card, but Pirlo popped up at the death to settle the clash.

Peres' goal was Torino's first against their fierce rivals since February 2002, and, until Pirlo's winner, it looked as though they would be the first visiting side to come away from a league game at Juventus Stadium with anything since Cagliari in May 2013.

Roma, meanwhile, kept up the pressure on leaders Juve, but had to overcome a stubborn Inter to register a 4-2 victory at Stadio Olimpico.

Gervinho tapped in from close range to open the scoring after 21 minutes before Andrea Ranocchia headed level from a corner 15 minutes later against the run of play.

Roma regained the lead two minutes into the second half when Jose Holebas smashed home, but Inter refused to go down without a fight - Pablo Daniel Osvaldo restoring parity with a deflected effort 10 minutes later.

However, Miralem Pjanic proved to be the difference between the sides - firing home from the centre of the penalty area on the hour before curling home a 25-yard free-kick in stoppage time.

The win keeps Roma within three points of Juve at the summit, while Inter suffered their first defeat since Roberto Mancini - who was sent off for dissent after Roma's third goal - returned to the club, and have now slipped to 11th.

Genoa's impressive season continued as they climbed to third with a 3-0 win at Cesena, although Napoli could reclaim that position by avoiding defeat at Sampdoria on Monday.

Jeremy Menez scored twice in a 2-0 victory for Milan over Udinese in the day's early kick-off, which saw both sides end the match with 10 men after Maurizio Domizzi and Michael Essien were given their marching orders during the second half.

The win sees Milan go fifth for the time being, while Udinese sit ninth.

There were also two red cards as Palermo beat Parma 2-1, while Mario Gomez scored his first goal since March in Fiorentina's 4-0 win at Cagliari.

In the day's remaining fixture, Empoli and Atalanta played out a goalless draw.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini rues errors against Roma

1 December 2014

749887header.jpg

Roberto Mancini refused to discuss the referee, preferring to focus on Inter's mistakes that proved costly against Roma on Sunday.

Inter conceded two Miralem Pjanic goals in the final half an hour as second-placed Roma ran out 4-2 victors in Serie A action at the Stadio Olimpico.

Mancini, who lost for the first time since replacing Walter Mazzarri ahead of the Milan derby last week, was sent to the stands following Roma's third goal on the hour-mark.

However, the Italian boss was left to lament errors that saw his team slip to 11th in the top flight.

"Just look at the game ... I honestly don't want to waste words on the referee. I don't care. I protested, but it wasn't a protest about nothing," Mancini told Sky Sport Italia.

"Roma have been playing very well since last year, so we knew it would be difficult, but we were in it up to a certain point and that is important.

"We made mistakes, as they were able to cut in from the right too often and we wasted some chances. We did good and bad things tonight, so we have to work.

"These are quality players and you can't leave them space to play. We were too slow closing them down."

Inter are six points adrift of the UEFA Champions League play-off spot after 13 matches but Mancini has not given up hope of qualifying for the illustrious competition.

"We cannot achieve everything in a few months. We'll try to do the best we can and would certainly aim to qualify for the Champions League with two different paths to that," said the former Manchester City manager.

"This team was built to play with a different system and different coach in Mazzarri, so we are missing players in certain positions and need time to adapt. We have a month until the Christmas break and need to do all we can in this time."

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Galliani: Serie A must adopt goal-line technology

667491_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Dec 1, 2014 10:14:00

The Rossoneri vice-president believes Adil Rami's wrongly disallowed goal at San Siro has underlined the need to give match officials more assistance

AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani has called on Italian football to embrace goal-line technology following further controversy in Sunday's Serie A win over Udinese.

Adil Rami looked to have opened the scoring 17 minutes into the game at San Siro when he rose highest to connect with a Giacomo Bonaventura header.

However, although the ball crossed the line, Udinese goalkeeper Orestis Karnezis pushed it onto the post and away to safety, thus deceiving the officials into thinking that it had stayed out.

Milan went on to win the game 2-0 thanks to a second-half double from Jeremy Menez but that was not the point, according to Galliani, who was reminded of Sulley Muntari's infamously disallowed 'ghost' goal in a crucial Serie A clash with Juventus two years ago.

"The fault is ours," the Rossoneri vice-president said of the lack of goal-line technology. "Fifa allows us to use technology and we don’t do it.

"I invite Italian football to use the technology. Like in tennis, for example. There is nothing stopping us. Technology is not a bad thing.

"I’m not blaming the referee. There are instruments available - let’s use them. It’s obvious that the Muntari goal came to my mind, also because of the black and white jerseys!

"Then I thought about it: if there were technology available, we could have evaluated Rami's goal better.

"If there’s the technology there, let’s use it. I will begin the battle for it as of Monday."

Meanwhile, Galliani was also full of praise for matchwinner Menez, particularly as the French forward had been a doubt for the game due to illness.

"Menez has proven himself a true No.9," he declared. "Enough with this urban legend that he’s a 'false nine'.

"And to think, he nearly didn’t play. At 10.30 on Sunday morning he wasn’t well. He had a bit of a fever. The coach called me, worried. Then he recovered."

Galliani also lavished praise on Marco van Ginkel, who impressed in his first Serie A appearance since joining on loan from Chelsea during the summer.

"I consider Van Ginkel on the same level as [Roma and Netherlands midfielder Kevin] Strootman," he enthused. "He just needs continuity."

Milan's victory over Udinese, which ended a five-game winless run, moved them into fifth place in the Serie A standings, just two points outside the Champions League places as of Monday morning.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Llorente: Pirlo one of the all-time greats

672131_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Dec 2, 2014 10:38:00

The Spaniard says that not only is the Italy international a class act on the field, he is also a "marvellous" character off it

Fernando Llorente has hailed Juventus team-mate Andrea Pirlo as one of the greatest playmakers in history following the veteran midfielder's heroics in Sunday's derby win over Torino.

The Bianconeri looked set to drop points at home for the first time in 25 Serie A matches when Stephan Lichtsteiner was dismissed with the game tied at one goal apiece.

However, with just eight seconds of injury time remaining, Pirlo found the bottom corner with a stunning strike from distance to send Juve's players and fans alike into ecstasy.

"This kind of win gives you such a boost and I enjoyed a lovely Monday," Llorente told Mediaset. "The derby was a difficult match in which we luckily managed to claim all three points.

"We played well and even with 10 men we went for the win because, at Juventus, we always believe in ourselves.

"It's one of the secrets of our success. Compliments also to Torino, who gave us more problems than any other team until now.

"Honestly, I was thinking that it would be an impossible game to win but instead Pirlo produced a miracle.

"He's an introverted guy but also a marvellous one for those who know him well.

"In his role he is one of the greatest in history."

It was a crucial victory for Juventus, as it enabled the Serie A leaders to maintain their three-point advantage over Roma, who defeated Inter 4-2 in a thrilling encounter on Sunday night.

Llorente was hugely impressed by the Giallorossi's performance at the Stadio Olimpico and he does not believe that there is any chance of the Bianconeri, who racked up a record-breaking 102 points last season, running away with the title race this term.

"The Roma I saw against Inter were very strong," the Spaniard said of last season's runners-up.

"[Francesco] Totti, Gervinho, [Miralem] Pjanic and [Radja] Nainggolan are making the difference for them at the moment and winning the Scudetto will be more difficult [for Juve] than in the past.

"But I am convinced that we can win it again."

Indeed, Llorente has been buoyed by the way in which Massimiliano Allegri has risen to the challenge of filling the void left by former coach Antonio Conte, who stepped down during the summer after leading Juve to three successive Scudetti.

"They are very different characters, but they are both great coaches and they are showing that," the former Athletic Bilbao attacker said of the pair.

"For Allegri, it was not easy to arrive after Conte but he settled immediately and he has the squad playing at the same level as before."

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roma defender Castan set for brain surgery

623921_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Dec 3, 2014 12:43:00

The 28-year-old centre-half will have an operation to resolve a neurological condition that has sidelined him since the September 13 meeting with Empoli

Roma defender Leandro Castan will undergo brain surgery in the Italian capital on Wednesday.

The Brazilian has not played since being withdrawn at half-time in the September 13 Serie A clash with Empoli complaining of dizziness.

It was subsequently revealed that Leandro Castan was suffering from a condition known as cavernoma, which involves swelling caused by the accumulation of fluid on the brain.

Consequently, the 28-year-old is scheduled to have an operation at 08:00CET at the Quisisana ai Parioli clinic in Rome on Wednesday in order to resolve the neurological issue, which is considered serious but not life-threatening.

Indeed, according to early reports, Leandro Castan, who is expected to be hospitalised for a week after the surgery, could return to action in five minutes, which would put him in a position to play some part in the final stages of the 2014-15 season.

Regardless, Roma boss Rudi Garcia has already stated that the club will wait as long as it takes for the centre-half to return to full fitness.

Leandro Castan joined the Giallorossi from Corinthians for €5.5 million in 2012 and, after a slow start to his career at the Stadio Olimpico, he established himself as one of the top defenders in Serie A, playing a key role in last season's surprise Scudetto challenge.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Strootman could start for Roma, reveals Garcia

468771_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Dec 5, 2014 15:10:00

The Frenchman has suggested that the midfielder could make the starting XI, while he reserved special praise for Alessandro Florenzi

Roma coach Rudi Garcia has revealed that Kevin Strootman could feature from the start in this week's match against Sassuolo.

The Netherlands international recently made his comeback after a lengthy spell on the sidelines due to a knee injury and Garcia feels the only way for him to get back to his best is by playing regularly.

"Could Strootman start the game? He needs to play so starting him is a possibility," the Roma coach said at a news conference.

"I'll put out the side that gives me the best chance of getting three points. Sassuolo have exceeded expectations, they play good football and have a great attack. It will be a tough match.

"The league is a marathon and we must make sure we're ready for every game. If we win the rest of our games we'll get our just reward. It doesn't matter what the other teams do."

Garcia then went on to praise Alessandro Florenzi following his fine form in recent weeks and stated that the 23-year-old has the potential to emulate club icons Daniele De Rossi and Francesco Totti.

"Florenzi is doing well. Any coach would love to have him. When we have a problem, he helps us out in any position.

"I hope Florenzi follows in the footsteps of Totti and De Rossi. That's something he can aim for and achieve."

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Totti wants Serie A goalscoring record

669561_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Dec 5, 2014 11:08:00

The 38-year-old forward is 39 strikes shy of Silvio Piola's historic haul but the World Cup winner is in no doubt that he still has sufficient time to take top spot

Roma captain Francesco Totti has admitted that his dream is to become Serie A's all-time leading goalscorer.

Over the course of a remarkable career that spans 22 years, the iconic forward has struck a total of 237 times in Italy's top flight.

Totti sits second on the all-time scorers' chart, some 39 goals shy of the legendary Silvio Piola, but the 38-year-old forward still believes that he has enough left in the tank to make history.

"I'd be lying if I said that I've never thought about it," the former Italy international told the Corriere dello Sport.

"I want this most beautiful record. I know that it will not be easy, but then, they never even thought that I'd arrive at the tally I have today.

"I can reach Piola's record for the number of goals scored."

For the moment, though, Totti is concentrating on helping Roma achieve their twin goals for the season: claiming the Scudetto and reaching the knockout stage of the Champions League.

The Giallorossi currently sit second in Serie A, three points behind three-time defending champions Juventus, while they need to defeat Premier League titleholders Manchester City next week to guarantee progress in Europe.

Totti is well aware that getting the better of such illustrious adversaries will be difficult but he has the utmost faith in his club.

"I don't think it will be easy [to win the league] but we must give our all," he added. "I believe in Roma.

"And reaching the last 16 in a competition like [the Champions League] from a group like this [with City, Bayern Munich and CSKA Moscow] would be an excellent achievement and a great satisfaction for the players, the club and the fans."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Preview: Genoa seeking response against Milan

4 December 2014

751754header.jpg

Gian Piero Gasperini will be hoping for a response from his high-flying Genoa side, who host an improving Milan on Sunday.

Genoa have surprised many early in the 2014-15 Serie A campaign, going eight matches unbeaten to occupy fourth spot in the standings - only adrift of third-placed Napoli on goal difference.

Gasperini's men, though, were surprisingly bundled out of the Coppa Italia on Wednesday, beaten 2-0 at Empoli in the fourth round.

It was Genoa's first defeat in all competitions since September, when they lost 1-0 at home to Sampdoria.

Gasperini said Genoa lacked "intensity" in Empoli, something he will be desperate to avoid when Milan - two points behind - make the trip to the Stadio Comunale Luigi Ferraris.

"We encountered an Empoli side in good shape, they got off to a stronger start and undoubtedly played better," Gasperini told Rai Sport afterwards on Wednesday.

"We did well in the first half but gifted them a goal and the game got complicated, as we lacked the intensity needed."

Milan are unbeaten in three games ahead of Sunday's clash after accounting for Udinese 2-0 via a Jeremy Menez brace.

Menez has scored four goals in that period, while loanee Fernando Torres has failed to find the net for Filippo Inzaghi's men but former Milan midfielder Demetrio Albertini believes the Spaniard needs time to regain his confidence.

"If you want to see the real Nino [Torres], then you have to wait," Albertini told Tuttosport.

"The current Torres is not the one we all knew. He is coming off two seasons in which he played very little, so it's not easy to find yourself after that."

Napoli - level on points with Genoa - are also in action on Sunday, playing host to Empoli in Naples.

Defending champions Juventus kick-off the round on Friday at eighth-placed Fiorentina, who have won back-to-back matches.

Title rivals Roma - who powered past Inter 4-2 last week - can keep the pressure on Juve with victory at home to high-flying Sassuolo on Saturday, while Palermo face lowly Torino on the same day.

Roberto Mancini has another chance to taste his first win as Inter boss at home to Udinese on Sunday.

In other fixtures on Sunday, Atalanta go head-to-head with second-bottom Cesena and Lazio visit cellar-dwelling Parma.

On Monday, Sampdoria can end a run of three consecutive draws by beating Hellas Verona and Chievo - one point adrift of safety - play fellow strugglers Cagliari.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fiorentina 0 Juventus 0: Champions held in tepid stalemate

5 December 2014

752754header.jpg

Juventus missed the chance to pull further clear at the top of Serie A after being held to a 0-0 draw at bitter rivals Fiorentina.

Massimiliano Allegri's men dictated play for much of the match on Friday, but failed to make the most of their superiority and subsequently handed second-placed Roma a boost in their battle to catch the champions.

The Juve coach seemingly had one eye on Tuesday's crucial UEFA Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid as he rested Carlos Tevez in favour of Kingsley Coman.

And the visitors seemed to miss the Argentinian's work rate and harrying in the final third, while clear-cut chances were few and far between.

Allegri eventually introduced Tevez from the bench with 30 minutes to go, but Fiorentina afforded the former Manchester City star little room for manoeuvre, generally nullifying his threat.

Vincenzo Montella's side were forced to withstand considerable pressure during the final stages, but held firm and claimed a commendable draw, meaning Roma can close to within one point of Juve with a win over Sassuolo on Saturday.

The packed Artemio Franchi greeted Juventus with a hostile atmosphere upon their emergence from the tunnel, with Fiorentina urged on from the start by their noisy support.

But Juventus appeared utterly unfazed as they put the hosts under pressure during the early exchanges, with Paul Pogba firing just over from the edge of the area in the third minute.

Fernando Llorente followed suit just three minutes later, as he turned away from David Pizarro and struck an effort agonisingly over the crossbar from 25 yards.

Fiorentina did begin to tighten up at the back, however, and after settling into the contest the hosts almost went ahead in the 32nd minute, as Matias Fernandez saw his curling free-kick find the side-netting.

Borja Valero and Arturo Vidal both missed the target with speculative half-volleys for their respective sides in the final seven minutes of the first half.

Juve began the second half much like they did the first, taking just three minutes to craft the first opportunity, as Neto palmed away a Patrice Evra effort after Pogba's clever pass.

The visitors looked more likely to break the deadlock, although Gianluigi Buffon found himself called into action with 66 minutes gone, parrying Juan Cuadrado's stinging drive from 25 yards.

Allegri's side poured men forward in the final 20 minutes, with Tevez's introduction appearing to galvanise the champions.

But the Argentinian's initial influence quickly wore off, as both sides cancelled each other out and ultimately settled for a point after an unremarkable match.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Castan leaves intensive care

4 December 2014

752102header.jpg

Roma defender Leandro Castan has left intensive care after undergoing brain surgery, the club have announced.

Castan had a three-and-a-half-hour operation to remove a cavernoma from his brain on Tuesday, with Roma confirming afterwards that the procedure had been successful.

And the Serie A club released a further statement on Wednesday to reveal the 28-year-old Brazilian is out of intensive care and "progressing as expected".

"Leandro Castan has successfully negotiated the first 24 hours after his operation," it read.

"He is conscious and interacting with family members and medical staff. He has now left the intensive care unit, but is still being constantly monitored.

"He is progressing as expected, though no prognosis has yet been released."

Castan was diagnosed with the problem after reporting he was feeling dizzy following Roma's 1-0 victory over Empoli in September.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Review: Genoa punish Milan, Stramaccioni gets Inter revenge

7 December 2014

753889header.jpg

Milan missed the opportunity to climb into Serie A’s European places after losing 1-0 at Genoa, while Inter lost 2-1 at home to Udinese.

After a first half in which his side struggled to craft clear-cut chances at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris, captain and former Milan defender Luca Antonelli headed Genoa into the lead 13 minutes before the break.

Milan threw men forward after the break, but were unable to break through a resilient Genoa backline, with the hosts looking threatening on the break.

Ultimately Milan's fate was similar to that of champions Juventus, who also lost at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris, with Filippo Inzaghi's men beaten on the road in Serie A for the first time this season.

The triumph over an underwhelming Milan takes Genoa above Napoli into third after Rafael Benitez's side could only draw 2-2 at home to Empoli earlier on Sunday.

However, Rafael Benitez's men can take heart from the result having fought back from two goals down to salvage a point at the San Paolo.

Simone Verdi put the away side ahead in the 19th minute and they eventually doubled their advantage just after the break through Daniele Rugani, with Napoli seemingly staring at a first league defeat since September 21.

But the fight-back began with 23 minutes to go as Duvan Zapata headed in Dries Mertens' corner, before Jonathan de Guzman earned a point a few moments later, leaving Napoli fourth in the table.

ilan's city rivals Inter fared no better in the day’s late kick-off, though, as Andrea Stramaccioni returned to haunt his former employers in Udinese's 2-1 win.

Mauro Icardi had put Inter ahead in the closing stages of an otherwise unremarkable first half, but their lead did not last, with Bruno Fernandes' spectacular volley restoring parity with 30 minutes to go.

Cyril Thereau pounced on Rodrigo Palacio's ill-advised backpass to complete the turnaround 11 minutes later, as Roberto Mancini's Inter return continues to underwhelm.

Lazio remain in the hunt for a European place as they came from behind to beat rock-bottom Parma 2-1 away from home, while Atalanta produced a three-goal comeback to beat 19th-placed Cesena 3-2 in the day’s other clash.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini fumes after Inter collapse

7 December 2014

753925header.jpg

​Roberto Mancini struggled to control his frustration after watching Inter throw away a lead to go down 2-1 to Udinese on Sunday.

Mauro Icardi had given Inter the lead before half-time at San Siro, but Bruno Fernandes' second-half volley restored parity.

Inter were ultimately the architects of their own fate as Rodrigo Palacio's poor backpass allowed Cyril Thereau in on goal for Udinese's winner, leaving the hosts awaiting a win domestically since Mancini returned as manager.

Mancini was angry at the way his side allowed Udinese back into the match, but remained keen to point out plenty of positives to build on in the coming weeks.

"I am angry at this defeat," he told Sky Sport Italia. "We cannot do anything now, the guys are working well, we just have to roll our sleeves up and continue.

"In the first half we played well, we had so many chances and could have scored more.

"In the second half we started well, but then there was 15 minutes when Udinese took advantage."

For Udinese boss Andrea Stramaccioni, it was a big victory on his first return to Inter since being sacked in 2013, and he hailed a deserved three points.

"It was important for us to win," he said. "I think overall we deserved it, especially for the second half.

"We wanted to press high and we did not succeed [in the first half], but we reorganised and went more aggressive, these are three valuable points from which to build."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cesena sack Bisoli

8 December 2014

754148header.jpg

Cesena have sacked head coach Pierpaolo Bisoli after a torrid start to the Serie A campaign.

Bisoli was appointed to the role in September 2012 and led the club to promotion from Serie B in his first full season at the helm.

After finishing fourth at the end of the 2013-14 campaign, Cesena defeated Modena in the play-off semi-finals before overcoming Latina 4-2 on aggregate in the final.

But they have struggled in their new surroundings, winning just one of their opening 14 games to sit second from bottom in the table.

That poor start has led the club to take action, with the news of Bisoli's sacking confirmed on Monday.

"Cesena announce that, today, the coach Pierpaolo Bisoli was dismissed," a statement read.

"The club thanks Bisoli and his staff for the established relationship of mutual respect and for the work done over the years, coincided with a remarkable salvation and a ride in the top flight that will remain in history."

Speculation has mounted that Bisoli could be replaced by former Cagliari, Geno and Bologna coach Davide Ballardini.

Cesena's next match is a home clash with Fiorentina on Sunday.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter will get back to the top, says Mancini

696232_heroa.jpg

Dec 10, 2014 18:08:00

The Nerezzurri coach has pleaded for more time to restore his side to their former glory in the wake of Sunday's 2-1 reverse at the hands of Udinese

Inter boss Roberto Mancini is confident that his side will soon be back at the pinnacle of European football.

The Nerazzurri have fallen from grace since their famous treble win under Jose Mourinho in 2009-10, with their former coach returning to the club this term following Walter Mazzarri's sacking.

Inter currently sit 12th after Sunday's 2-1 reverse at the hands of Udinese but Mancini is confident that they will soon be restored to their former place.

"Against Udinese, we clearly underperformed," he told reporters.

"But we're working to change things. This is a young squad, we can improve, but I'm convinced that we can come back to the highest level in the coming years.

"It's not fair to compare this team to the one of 2010. That was a team with many champions, it was easier to be successful.

"Let's hope we improve quickly."

Inter take on Azeri side Qarabag in the Europa League on Thursday but Mancini is refusing to take the minnows for granted.

"Tomorrow we want to play our game and win, regardless of the importance of the match," he continued.

"We know Qarabag well, they can still qualify so we can expect them to give their best."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Parma to appeal point deduction

701602_heroa.jpg

Dec 10, 2014 18:03:00

The Emilia-Romagna club intend to challenge the verdict of the FIGC as they battle to avoid relegation to Serie B

Serie A strugglers Parma have confirmed their intention to appeal the one-point penalty imposed on them for financial mismanagement.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) announced on Tuesday that Serie A's bottom club are to be deducted a point and fined €5,000 for missing tax payments, as well as failing to pay the wages of players and staff.

President Tommaso Ghirardi and CEO Pietro Leonardi have also been banned from club-related activity for two months and fined €5,000 each.

However, Parma have confirmed they will appeal the FIGC's sanctions and feel confident they will get them overturned.

The Stadio Ennio Tardini club believe the reasons behind the FIGC's decisions are not strong enough to stand up in an appeal court, and also insisted that Leonardi and chairman Mario Bastianon are exempt from any wrongdoing.

Parma, who will be reduced to just five points from 14 Serie A games this season should the punishment go through, feel the previous verdict of a civil court exempts Leonardi and Bastianon from any sanctions.

An excerpt of a statement on the club's official website read: "An examination of the reasons given by the National Federation Tribunal gives the belief that there is ample room to get a total reform of the judgment and regain the deducted point removed."

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Preview: Parma seek on-field respite, Cesena host Fiorentina

11 December 2014

755819header.jpg

Parma will have to put their off-field difficulties to one side when they host fellow Serie A strugglers Cagliari on Sunday.

Roberto Donadoni's men have endured a miserable time in Italy's top flight this term and sit bottom of the league having won just two of their 14 matches.

Parma have also faced problems away from the pitch and were hit with a one-point deduction and €5,000 fine on Tuesday after missing tax payments and failing to pay the wages of players and staff.

President Tommaso Ghirardi and CEO Pietro Leonardi have also been banned from club-related activity for two months, although the club quickly confirmed their intention to appeal the Italian Football Federation's ruling.

There is no time for Parma to feel sorry for themselves, though, as they host a Cagliari side at Stadio Ennio Tardini who are enjoying a poor season of their own.

Zdenek Zeman's side, who are 18th, have just two league wins to their name - the last of which came at Empoli on October 25 - and the coach admitted his team did not "turn up" in last weekend's 2-0 loss at home to Chievo.

Cesena are the other club in the bottom three, their solitary league victory this season coming on the opening weekend against Parma.

They welcome a confident Fiorentina to Stadio Dino Manuzzi, with the visitors having followed back-to-back wins with a creditable 0-0 draw against champions Juventus last weekend.

Juve return to domestic action at home to Sampdoria after Tuesday's 0-0 draw with Atletico Madrid booked their place in the UEFA Champions League knockout stages.

Massimiliano Allegri's men are playing the third of five matches in the space of 18 days and striker Carlos Tevez admits the upcoming mid-season break will be a welcome relief.

"The Christmas break and holidays will do us good," he told the club's official website. "We've had four months of playing regular football, it's normal that a bit of tiredness has started to creep in."

Roma also played in the Champions League in midweek and will look to rebuild from the disappointing exit to Manchester City on Wednesday when they visit Genoa.

Milan host Napoli at San Siro with both clubs aiming to move on from disappointing results last weekend, the former losing 1-0 at Genoa while Rafael Benitez's team drew 2-2 with Empoli.

Christian Maggio sees no reason why Napoli, who are currently fifth, cannot claim third spot and a Champions League place this season, but the full-back is targeting more.

"We have the chance to reach third place but I always hope for something more, we have that possibility," said Maggio.

Also on Sunday, Udinese host Verona, while Palermo and Lazio have home fixtures with Sassuolo and Atalanta respectively on Saturday.

Torino and Inter face away games at Empoli and Chievo on Monday.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Parma sell majority of shares

11 December 2014

756075header.jpg

Struggling Serie A club Parma have confirmed the sale of the majority of their shares to Eventi Sportivi S.p.A.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) confirmed on Tuesday that Serie A's bottom club are to be deducted one point and fined €5,000 for missing tax payments, as well as failing to pay the wages of players and staff.

President Tommaso Ghirardi and chief executive officer Pietro Leonardi were also banned from club-related activity for two months and fined €5,000 each.

While Parma confirmed later on Tuesday that they will appeal the FIGC's sanctions, the club stated on Thursday they had sold the majority of shares, with the official handover to take place on December 16.

"Parma FC announce that today an agreement was reached to sell the majority shares of controlling party Eventi Sportivi S.p.A," read a statement on Parma's official website.

"[These] will be handed over to the new buyers in front of lawyer Giovanni Posio of Brescia on Tuesday, December 16 2014.

"At the same time, a press conference will be called to present the new shareholders and the details of the operation."