• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zeman sacked by Cagliari

23 December 2014

762194header.jpg

Serie A strugglers Cagliari have sacked coach Zdenek Zeman with the club languishing in the relegation zone.

The vastly experienced 67-year-old tactician was only appointed in July and has paid the price for a disappointing start to his tenure.

Zeman was charged with the task of improving on Cagliari's 15th-placed finish in Serie A last season by new owner Tommaso Giulini.

The former Roma coach has only masterminded two victories from the first 16 league games and Cagliari are without a win in their last eight league games.

Cagliari sit third-bottom of the table and it was announced on Tuesday that Zeman has been relieved of his duties.

A statement on the club's official website said: "Cagliari Calcio announces that Zdenek Zeman leaves the technical guidance of the first team.

"The company would like to thank the coach and all his staff for the work done in recent months with great professionalism and dedication."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cagliari turn to Zola

24 December 2014

762774header.jpg

Gianfranco Zola has been appointed as coach of his former club Cagliari a day after Zdenek Zeman was sacked.

Zola has been out of work for a year following his resignation as manager of Championship side Watford.

The 48-year-old ex-Italy striker was on Wednesday announced as the successor to the vastly experienced Zemen, who paid the price for Cagliari's poor start to the season.

Zola, who will officially take the helm from Sunday, will be assisted by former Lazio and Italy frontman Pierluigi Casiraghi and is charged with the task of guiding the Sardinian outfit up the Serie A table, as they will return from the winter break in the relegation zone.

A statement on Cagliari's official website said: "Gianfranco Zola, 48, to lead the first team Cagliari Calcio from December 28, the day of resumption of training at the sports center of Asseminello.

"In the coming days will be notified of the date of the official presentation of the new coach. The role of assistant coach Pierluigi Casiraghi will be covered.

"Both put their international experience and their winning mentality at the disposal of the company and the team to get the results that all the fans of Cagliari deserve."

Zeman only appointed in July by new owner Tommaso Giulini and lasted less than six months in the role after masterminding just two wins from 16 Serie A matches.

It will be Zola's first coaching role for a club in his homeland, having previously been in charge of West Ham before taking over at Watford, but he was number two to Casiraghi for Italy Under-21s.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Galliani hints at AC Milan move for Cerci

706142_heroa.jpg

By Tony Mahoney
Dec 24, 2014 11:45:00

The Rossoneri vice president has denied the club have an agreement to sign the Atletico Madrid winger but intimated that an offer could be presented soon

AC Milan vice president Adriano Galliani insists the Italian giants have not made an official bid for Alessio Cerci, but hints of an imminent move for the Atletico Madrid man.

Cerci only joined Atletico from Torino less than four months ago, but has struggled for game time in the Spanish capital and is almost certain to return to Italy when the transfer window reopens in January.

Milan have made the signing of a right-sided winger their priority next month – and the club already attempted to buy Cerci in the summer.

“For now, there is nothing,” Galliani told Gazzetta dello Sport when asked if rumours that a deal had already been agreed were true.

“But this doesn't mean that something couldn't happen in the future.”

Goal understands that both Milan and Inter are interested in the former Roma youth product, who has scored one goal in just nine appearances for Atletico.

Inter coach Roberto Mancini admitted earlier this week that his club could make a move of their own: “Is Cerci our primary objective for January? He could be, but we need to wait, as he is an Atletico Madrid player,” he told Sport Mediaset.

“In that role we are lacking really top level players. We need to improve as a squad and it takes time for that.”

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Capello slams hooligan element in Italian football

471071_heroa.jpg

Dec 28, 2014 10:04:00

The veteran coach was asked what work needs to be done in order to improve both Serie A and the national team, and he believes a change of attitude in the stands is essential

By Paul Macdonald at the Dubai International Sports Conference

Fabio Capello has slammed Serie A's hooligan element for stunting the development of the Italian game.

The former AC Milan and Juventus boss, speaking at the Dubai International Sports Conference, was asked what is required to return Italy’s domestic league and national team to former glories.

The Russia coach criticised the quality of stadia in the country but also added that the attitude of some fans in the stands has to change in order for improvements to follow.

Capello said: “First of all, we must have more peaceful stadiums. I am against our hardcore supporters, against the hooligans.

“They don’t want to support a football team, they just want violence. We need more families in the grounds.

“We need to improve the stadiums, but there needs to be new ideas regarding marketing and technique and we need honest people as well.”

Ultras have remained a serious problem in Italy over the years, with players such as Mario Balotelli and Kevin Prince-Boateng having been infamously subjected to racial abuse, while the conduct of some supporters inside the grounds has led to games being played without visiting fans or behind closed doors.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tevez: I won't renew with Juventus

661791_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Crawford
Dec 31, 2014 15:23:00

The Argentine has enjoyed a fine run of form since his move to Turin but admits he doesn't plan to stay with the Old Lady past 2016

Carlos Tevez has revealed he has no plans to extend his current contract with Juventus.

The Argentine has been in fine form since his move to the Serie A champions and is currently their top scorer in the league.

However, Tevez has no desire to continue his legacy in Turin past his current deal.

“I want to respect my contract until 2016,” he told reporters at Buenos Aires airport, “That's my plan.

“I don't want to extend, that's not how I feel at the moment.”

When asked if he would consider a return to boyhood club Boca Juniors, the 30-year-old urged calmness on any decisions regarding his future.

“It's too hard to say right now,” he said, “I'm playing at a high level so it's important to be calm and enjoy being in the moment.

“Constant speculation would drive me crazy.”

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inzaghi: Beating Real puts Milan among world´s best

31 December 2014

765217header.jpg

Filippo Inzaghi said Milan's 4-2 friendly win over Real Madrid in Dubai on Tuesday proved they can match it with the world's best.

Inzaghi's men sauntered to the victory courtesy of a Stephan El Shaarawy brace.

Milan are seventh in Serie A, trying to improve on their eighth-place finish in 2013-14 - their worst standing since 1998.

And Inzaghi said their recent results, which included a win over Napoli, a draw at Roma and their victory over European champions Real, held them in good stead to climb the Serie A table.

"We knew that if we didn't have the right attitude in this game we could have conceded up to five goals and that would have been a shame considering how far we have come after the games against Napoli and Roma," Inzaghi said post-match.

"We played three games against Napoli, Roma and Real Madrid and we come out with two wins and a draw - this means that we can play on a par with everybody.

"Although, yes, Real Madrid are in a league of their own... but the spirit and the effort we showed was great.

"These guys had trained for only three days after a week break and it didn't look like that."

Inzaghi was quick to redirect his side's focus back to their return to domestic duties, when they host Sassuolo on January 6.

"If we lose against Sassuolo we are going to forget about this game very soon, I can tell you," the former Juve and Milan striker said.

"In fact, we have to forget about this game tomorrow straight away.

"Yes, we must remember this as a nice evening and we must carry with us the fact that it was good to face players who can win the Ballon d'Or every year.

"So winning this game means that we get a big boost of confidence - it's a sign that we are growing and that's the best thing of tonight."

El Shaarawy declared his performance a "good achievement", but was also eyeing off continuing Milan's good form on their return to Italy.

The Italy international also dismissed speculation he was keen to depart San Siro.

"As I said before, I want to stay here at Milan," the 22-year-old said.

"I want to try and do well starting from next game onwards.

"And then I want to achieve a third place finish with this team."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cerci targets Italy boost with Milan move

2 January 2015

765878header.jpg

Alessio Cerci hopes his impending loan spell at Milan can bolster his hopes of appearing regularly in Italy's national side.

The Atletico Madrid striker is set to move to San Siro on loan as part of the arrangement that will take Fernando Torres in the opposite direction.

Cerci has struggled to break into Diego Simeone's plans this term - having arrived from Torino in the close-season - starting just once in all competitions.

However, the Italy international hopes more regular football back in Serie A will keep him in the thoughts of national coach Antonio Conte ahead of a number of European qualifiers in 2015.

"I'm just waiting for my medicals and the signing of the contract, but I'm very happy," Cerci told reporters at Linate Airport in Milan.

"It was important for me to come back to Italy. I took a long route, but it's what I wanted in the summer.

"I'm happy with the way things turned out, with a view to the national team too.

"I've landed here and I must prove I'm an excellent player. My first feelings are positive, returning to Italy in the Milan colours is exactly what I wanted."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia distances himself from move for Sneijder

3 January 2015

766358header.jpg

Roma coach Rudi Garcia has distanced himself from a potential move for Galatasaray attacker Wesley Sneijder.

Sneijder, 30, has been linked with a move away from cash-strapped Galatasaray, with Roma emerging as a potential destination.

However, Garcia appears to have ruled out a move for the Netherlands international.

"He's a great player but it's rare that the winter break changes things," he told Gazzetta dello Sport. "It serves only the rich, who can modify their squads.

"But I don't cry over not having [Lionel] Messi or [Cristiano] Ronaldo. I just hope that we can improve the squad next year.

"We need some stronger players, but it all depends on their availability. The budget is not everything. The model is Atletico Madrid.

"We're on the right road, though. I'm satisfied with our season. We have had many injuries and the Champions League sapped our energy."

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Preview: Juve´s Bonucci issues rallying cry ahead of Inter clash

3 January 2015

766445header.jpg

Leonardo Bonucci is keen for Juventus to put their Supercoppa Italiana disappointment behind them when the Serie A leaders host Inter.

Massimiliano Allegri's men welcome Inter to Turin for Tuesday's Derby d'Italia with a three-point advantage over nearest challenges Roma at the summit of the Italian top flight.

However, Juve lost the Supercoppa to Napoli in their last encounter before the mid-season break in December, Rafael Benitez's side prevailing on penalties in Doha after the game ended in a 2-2 draw at the end of extra time.

The defending champions will be expected to bounce back against an Inter team stuck in mid-table under Roberto Mancini, and defender Bonucci has been quick to issue a rallying cry.

He told Juve's official website: "We're raring to go after the Christmas break. We want to put the Super Cup behind us - it wasn't good to end the year with a defeat so we're looking to bounce back with a vengeance.

"We can't afford to drop points along the way. We have to close games out so we don't risk losing points. There's a very level playing field in the middle of the table and every match is a potential banana skin."

Mancini's team have won just one league game since October, yet Zdravko Kuzmanovic is pleased to be opening the second half of the season with the toughest test in Italian football.

The Serbian midfielder told Sky Italia: "This game against Juventus comes at the right time for us. We're training hard and training well."

Inter's city rivals Milan will soon see their forward line boosted by Alessio Cerci once his 18-month loan deal from Atletico Madrid goes through, although the deal may not be completed in time for the visit of Sassuolo.

Lazio resume the Serie A season as they meet fellow UEFA Champions League challengers Sampdoria at the Stadio Olimpico, while their fierce rivals Roma visit Udinese with a number of key players in doubt.

Defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is suffering from flu, club legend and captain Francesco Totti has a problem with the tendons in his left foot, and striker Mattia Destro has been training away from the rest of the squad.

Genoa will be out to get back to form and avoid a third straight defeat versus Atalanta, Napoli meet struggling Cesena as they aim to build on the victory over Juve, and Fiorentina visit bottom club Parma.

Elsewhere, Chievo face Torino, Verona travel to Empoli and Palermo welcome Cagliari to Sicily.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Milan confirm Cerci loan

4 January 2015

766753header.jpg

Milan confirmed the arrival of Alessio Cerci on Saturday with the former Torino striker joining on loan from Atletico Madrid.

Cerci completed a full training session with Milan for the first time on Saturday after passing his medical on Friday, and the 27-year-old admitted he was relieved to get the deal finalised as he looks to rebuild his career.

The winger barely played in six months with Atletico, coming off the bench six times in La Liga, and wants to return to the type of form that saw him score 13 goals in 37 Serie A matches for Torino.

Cerci has joined Milan as part of the deal that has seen Fernando Torres head to the Vicente Calderon until the end of next season.

"It's taken a little longer but I'm now happy," Cerci told Milan's website.

The Italy international's first chance to make his Milan debut will be against Sassuolo at San Siro on Tuesday.

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Podolski joins Inter

3 January 2015

766527header.jpg

Lukas Podolski appears to have completed his move from Arsenal to Inter after publishing a picture of himself alongside Roberto Mancini.

The Germany international was snapped arriving in Milan wearing an Inter scarf on Friday, although no official announcement regarding a deal has yet been made.

Podolski then bid a fond farewell to Arsenal fans via his Instagram account on Saturday before pictures emerged on Twitter of him and head coach Mancini together.

"New year, new beginnings. #ForzaInter #Mancini #Inter #Poldi," read a post on Podolski's official account, accompanied by a photo of the player and Mancini.

There were also posts from both Mancini's official account and that of the club, with the German seemingly having agreed terms on what is expected to be a loan deal for the rest of the 2014-15 season.

Podolski has endured a frustrating time in his two and a half years at Arsenal, scoring 31 goals in 82 appearances for the London club, but starting just 55 games.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has not started Podolski in the Premier League this season, with the 29-year-old striker making just seven substitute appearances, prompting his impending move to Inter.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neto to leave Fiorentina

3 January 2015

766509header.jpg

Fiorentina have announced that goalkeeper Neto will leave the club when his contract expires at the end of the season.

The 25-year-old joined the Serie A outfit from Atletico Paranaense in January 2011 and became regular first choice in goal last term.

Neto's deal at Stadio Artemio Franchi is now into its final six months, and Fiorentina announced on Saturday that the Brazilian will be moving on in the close-season.

"ACF Fiorentina must announce that goalkeeper Norberto Murara Neto today officially informed the club of his intention not to prolong his contract with the Viola. The decision is definitive," a club statement read.

"Neto was keen to make it known that his decision is entirely unrelated to financial motivations, with his desire to be free to decide his own future the sole reason behind his move."

Fiorentina return to Serie A action at bottom-placed Parma on Tuesday.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Florenzi signs Roma extension

3 January 2015

766456header.jpg

Roma have announced that Italy international Alessandro Florenzi has signed a contract extension until the end of the 2018-19 season.

Florenzi, a versatile right-sided player, has been a regular in Roma's matchday squads this term, featuring in 15 of the club's 16 Serie A fixtures.

The 23-year-old has often been utilised as a substitute, but has nevertheless done enough to earn a fresh deal at Stadio Olimpico that will run for a further four-and-a-half years.

A product of Roma's youth academy, Florenzi made his debut for the club in May 2011 as a late replacement for Francesco Totti.

He went on to enjoy a loan spell at Serie B side Crotone in the 2011-12 season, before returning to earn frequent action at Roma.

Florenzi has represented the capital club in 103 matches in all competitions and started Roma's last three league games.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Costa makes Genoa switch

5 January 2015

767339header.jpg

Genoa have completed the loan signing of Spartak Moscow midfielder Tino Costa with a view to a permanent move.

The 29-year-old Argentine is reportedly set to spend 18 months at Stadio Luigi Ferraris and Genoa have the option of signing him on a permanent basis.

Costa joined Spartak from Valencia in June 2013 and has scored three goals in 35 appearances for the Russian club.

The former Montpellier man will now get his first experience of Italian football for a Genoa side who occupy sixth place in Serie A.

A statement on Genoa's official website said: "Genoa announces that it has acquired from FC Spartak Moscow on a temporary basis with an option to acquire all, the right to benefits of the midfielder Tino Costa."

Costa could make his debut in Genoa's first Serie A game of the year against Atalanta on Tuesday.

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Podolski heads to Inter on loan

5 January 2015

767482header.jpg

Lukas Podolski has joined Serie A giants Inter on loan from Arsenal until the end of the season.

The Germany international signalled the move was going ahead on Saturday after publishing a picture of himself alongside Inter head coach Roberto Mancini, but an official announcement was not forthcoming.

The forward trained with Inter on Monday and both clubs confirmed the switch later in the day.

His move may have come too late for him to start Inter's league clash with Juventus on Tuesday, but Mancini did hint that the 29-year-old may feature on the bench at the Juventus Stadium.

Inter will hope he can provide a much-needed spark to their season after finishing the first half of the campaign in 11th position – 18 points behind leaders Juve.

And the striker – who was part of Germany's World Cup-winning squad in Brazil last year – will be keen to get regular football after a frustrating campaign at the Emirates this season, with just seven substitute appearances in the Premier League.

Since arriving in England, Podolski has scored 31 goals in 82 appearances.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mancini wants another winger alongside Podolski

5 January 2015

767658header.jpg

Inter coach Roberto Mancini wants to add another winger to his squad after acquiring Lukas Podolski on loan from Arsenal.

Podolski completed his first training session in Milan on Monday, thrashing a shot into the top corner during a practice match in a decent showing from the German.

The 29-year-old spent the weekend in Milan but could not train with his new team-mates due to delays with the necessary paperwork.

Mancini named his 25-man squad after training for Inter's trip to Juventus on Tuesday and Podolski made the cut, although the coach insisted his new acquisition will not start, declaring "he'll definitely sit on the bench".

The former Manchester City and Galatasaray boss wants to do more business in January, claiming he needs another winger to complement Podolski.

Inter have been linked with Bayern Munich's Xherdan Shaqiri, Ezequiel Lavezzi of Paris Saint-Germain and Hajduk Split youngster Tino-Sven Susic, and although Mancini seemed interested with all three on Monday.

"We needed two wide players and Podolski is one of them. He's 29 years old and has a wealth of experience so I hope he can make a telling contribution to the team," the 50-year-old said.

"Shaqiri is another who could do a job for us but he's a Bayern Munich player. He's a young guy so it's an interesting one for the future, too.

"Lavezzi? Look, he's a PSG player and I think that's a difficult one for us. I don't know what's going to happen, so let's see. Susic is a young player with great quality – he has a big future ahead of him."

Inter currently languish 11th in the Serie A standings, with a solitary league win since Mancini returned for a second spell at the helm in November.

Mancini's men face a tough test in their first league fixture since the winter break with Serie A leaders Juventus awaiting them in the Derby d'Italia.

But Mancini wants his team to believe in themselves and not go into the match taking too much notice of the 18-point gap between them and Juventus.

"We're Inter – we're a big club – and we play every match to win. We might not always end up on the winning side but it's important to have a certain mentality," Mancini said.

"Getting a result in such a big match would give the team a massive boost.

"When the time comes tomorrow, I don't want to see a team that goes out onto the pitch thinking it's an impossible task. I don't think there is the distance between Juventus and Inter that the league standings of the last few years would seem to indicate."

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Napoli sign Gabbiadini and Strinic

5 January 2015

767356header.jpg

Napoli have completed the signings of Sampdoria striker Manolo Gabbiadini and Dnipro defender Ivan Strinic.

Gabbiadini, 23, passed a medical at the weekend and put pen to paper on a contract with the Naples club on Monday.

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis hinted last month that a deal was on the cards and the Italy international has now sealed his switch from the Serie A rivals.

Gabbiadini has scored seven goals in 13 Serie A matches this season, including four in his last four games in all competitions.

Strinic, 27, confirmed last month that he was set to move to Naples and the left-back's deal was also announced on Monday.

The Croatia international has spent four years with Ukrainian side Dnipro and could be in contention to face Cesena on Tuesday.

Gabbiadini, who was greeted by up to 1,000 fans at Naples airport on Sunday, could make his Napoli bow against champions Juventus on Saturday as he is suspended.

Klose

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia pleads case for goalline technology

6 January 2015

767941header.jpg

Roma coach Rudi Garcia believes Serie A should introduce goalline technology after his side benefited from a controversial goal on Tuesday.

Garcia's side defeated Udinese 1-0 at the Stadio Comunale, thanks to a disputed header from Davide Astori.

The defender's effort came back off the underside of the crossbar and bounced on the line before Udinese goalkeeper Orestis Karnezis gathered the ball.

The goalline official decided the whole of the ball had not crossed all of the line, but match referee Marco Guida overruled his colleague and the goal stood.

Despite being the beneficiary of the controversy, Garcia believes match officials need more assistance to make key decisions.

"I have always said that we need technology to help the referees, as with goalline technology this would not have been an issue," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"We need goalline technology because the assistants have to look at everything in the box, not just the goalline.

"Having said that, the goalline referee seemed well placed to see the ball was in. At the end of the day, the referee has the final say."

Lukas Podolski

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Ronaldo spoke well of Inter' - Podolski

791032_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Jan 8, 2015 19:23:00

The Germany international idolised the Brazil legend during his formative years and was left impressed with his assessment of the Nerazzurri in several interviews

Lukas Podolski has revealed the words of former Inter star Ronaldo convinced him to join the club after he was paraded before the media on Thursday.

The Germany international made his debut as a second-half substitute in the team's 1-1 draw against Juventus on Tuesday after agreeing to move to San Siro from Arsenal until the end of the season.

Podolski had been linked with several other sides across Europe but the Brazil legend's high praise of the club over the years was one of the factors that swayed his decision.

He said: "Everyone knows Ronaldo. He's an idol of mine, one of the best players ever. He spoke very highly of Inter."

The Milan giants endured a miserable first half of the season, which prompted the sacking of Walter Mazzarri and appointment of Robert Mancini as coach, and currently sit 11th in Serie A.

Despite that, Podolski is adamant the club remain one of the best in the world and is determined to achieve their ultimate target for the season.

"Inter are one of the top 10 clubs in the world," he added. "They've achieved amazing success over the years. "Now I can concentrate on my football. If we do that we can achieve our goal: Champions League qualification."

His arrival has been swiftly followed by the signing of Xherdan Shaqiri from Bayern Munich, with Podolski delighted to see the Switzerland winger arrive, despite bringing with him instant competition for places.

"Shaqiri is a great player and I'm sure he'll do very well here. He's going to help us no end."

One topic the former Cologne man was keen not to expand on was the on-field spat between Pablo Osvaldo and Mauro Icardi on Tuesday with Podolski merely stating that "these things happen in football".

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Osvaldo spat in the past - Icardi

7 January 2015

768254header.jpg

Inter striker Mauro Icardi has played down a spat involving him and team-mate Pablo Daniel Osvaldo in Tuesday's 1-1 draw with Juventus.

Icardi gained Inter at point with an equaliser just after the hour mark in the Derby d'Italia, but was the subject of Osvaldo's frustration later in the game for shooting instead of playing his fellow striker in.

Southampton loanee Osvaldo was visibly angered by Icardi's decision, although the goalscorer was able to keep himself from reacting.

However, Icardi explained afterwards that he understood why Osvaldo was frustrated by the decision to shoot and accepted the blame.

"That sort of thing happens in the heat of the moment but once you're off the pitch it's all forgotten about," he is quoted as telling Inter's official website.

"It was my fault because I should have passed to him."

Inter sit 11th in Serie A with Roberto Mancini's side appearing to have found some form following the Italian's return to the helm.

With work still to do to catch rivals Milan in seventh and challenge for a European berth, Icardi stated his hope that a point against champions Juve could inspire a positive run, adding his desire to remain at the club.

"We fought back well to earn this point by showing character and we could even have won it at the end," he added.

"We just have to go on battling and see where we end up come the end of the season.

"I keep saying I want to stay here. I've told the club and my agent that and there's nothing more to add."