• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2013-14 ║

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Wrap: Barcelona, Sevilla start 2014 with victories

6 January 2014

409240header.jpg

Barcelona returned to the top of La Liga on Sunday as a 4-0 victory over Elche at Camp Nou saw them leapfrog back over Atletico Madrid.

Chile international Alexis Sanchez was the star of the show for Gerardo Martino's side as the defending champions began a third consecutive calendar year with a 4-0 win.

Pedro got his name on the scoresheet to complete the rout and give Barca a 16th league win of the campaign to draw level on points Atletico, with the two teams set to face each other next Saturday.

Sevilla moved into the top six with a 3-0 win over Getafe as Unai Emery's team extended their unbeaten league run to six games.

Vitolo put the hosts ahead in the 34th minute after good work by Carlos Bacca and the Colombian striker then netted his ninth goal of the season 10 minutes after the break.

Croatian playmaker Ivan Rakitic sealed the win with a 77th-minute strike that compounded Getafe to a third consecutive Liga defeat.

Antoine Griezmann's 12th league goal of the season set Real Sociedad on their way to a 2-0 victory in the Basque derby against Athletic Bilbao.

The Frenchman struck just before the break in San Sebastian with an effort from the edge of the penalty area that Bilbao goalkeeper Gorka Iraizoz was unable to keep out, although his view was blocked by Carlos Vela.

The visitors laid siege on the Sociedad goal in the second half, but could not find an equaliser and Ruben Pardo sealed the points with a 93rd-minute strike to make it four wins on the spin.

In Sunday's remaining game, Osasuna climbed out of the bottom three thanks to a first win in four matches as Alvaro Cejudo's first goal of the season saw them record a 1-0 win over Espanyol.

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bale set for Real return

5 January 2014

409226header.jpg

Gareth Bale is in Real Madrid's squad to face Celta Vigo on Monday, but head coach Carlo Ancelotti has yet to decide if he will be involved.

The Welshman was absent for Real's 3-2 victory at Valencia before the mid-season break due to a calf problem, while he also sat out the friendly encounter with Paris Saint-Germain in Doha on Thursday.

But Bale is in contention for a place on the bench against the Liga strugglers, although Ancelotti warned that it could take time for the world-record signing to hit full fitness.

"He is in the squad and we need to make a decision if he plays or not," the Italian said.

"He is training well but we could wait a bit longer for him to be in top condition."

Ancelotti also gave an update on full-back Fabio Coentrao, who has still not fully recovered from a thigh injury sustained while playing for Portugal in November.

"Coentrao had a very hard injury in his last game with Portugal but he came back to training 15 days ago," he added. "He needs to do a pre-season and that is what he is doing, he is training a lot.

"He has nothing to worry about but he still needs 15 more days to be completely recovered."

Real return to Liga action looking to close the gap on Barcelona and Atletico Madrid in the race for the title, and Ancelotti is keen for the side to carry their end-of-year form into 2014.

"I think we ended well in 2013," he continued. "The team did well in the last two months of the year. I would like to see the same attitude in the players.

"After the holidays I see the players training very well, with nothing important to worry about. The team is in good condition. I think tomorrow will be a great game."

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martino hopeful over Messi fitness

6 January 2014

1160407-18174669-640-360.jpg

Gerardo Martino is confident Lionel Messi will be fit to face Atletico Madrid, but will not take chances on the Barcelona forward's fitness.

Argentine superstar Messi has not played since suffering a hamstring tear against Real Betis on November 10.

However, he returned to training earlier this week and is on course to feature when Barca travel to Madrid next week for a top-of-the-table La Liga clash.

Despite expressing his belief that Messi will play a part at Vicente Calderon, Barca head coach Martino will not be tempted into selecting his star man if he is not fully fit.

"I sincerely believe that Lionel Messi will be fit for the Atletico Madrid fixture. But I am not going to play anyone who is not fully recovered from an injury," Martino said after Sunday's 4-0 home win over Elche.

"I won't modify this principle depending on the team we face."

Martino believes Atletico, who have matched Barca by dropping just five points in 18 league games, have to be considered genuine contenders for silverware this season.

Atletico coach Diego Simeone has suggested his side will struggle to keep pace with the reigning champions, but Martino is expecting a stiff test.

"We know how important the game against Atletico is," added the 51-year-old.

"Regardless of what Simeone says, Atletico is in top form, has great players and is one of the main contenders for La Liga and Champions League titles.

"If you were a spy inside Atletico Madrid's locker room you would heard that they have great expectations for this season.

"It's fine that Barcelona and Real Madrid have all the pressure, but Atletico can achieve great things.

"However, the fact that we play against Atletico won't change our principle of starting those who are fit."

Messi could yet feature in Wednesday's Copa del Rey tie against Getafe.

"As I said, Messi is really well," added Martino.

"We have to talk to each other to see how he feels because he has to get over his mentality too; he has to feel ready 100 per cent.

"I think now that is the most important because maybe he is now a bit afraid of getting another injury and once he gets over that he will start to play."

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monday January 6 2014

‘Celta will not defend in Madrid’

By Football Espana staff

luis-enrique-reacts490ai_0.jpg

Celta Vigo boss Luis Enrique says his team will not be going out solely to defend when the Galicians face Real Madrid on Monday night.

The former Barcelona B and Roma boss is aware his team face a tremendously difficult task at the Santiago Bernabeu, yet insists it would be ‘ridiculous’ to try and keep the scoreline to 0-0.

“Our intention is not to defend a 0-0 because that would be ridiculous. We must try and make life difficult for our opponents as much as possible, and to do that we have to defend well and attack very well,” he told a Press conference.

“If you told me what I need to do to pick up a point at any cost then I’d do it. I have an idea of playing football where we work to harm the opposition with the ball, and I still have faith in that.

“However, against teams of this quality it’s clear you need to change things. If someone guaranteed me that we’d win by playing 10 defenders I’d take it, but that’s impossible.”

Enrique maintained his side will be up against one of the most powerful teams in La Liga, but is hoping his players can rise to the occasion.

“If any of us thinks we have no chance of causing them problems then we might as well forget it and go home.

“Hopefully we can play at our highest level and remain competitive throughout. It’s no use just doing it for 20 minutes and we have to be good both defensively and in attack.

“It will be a game where we will have less of the ball than Madrid and we must be consistent at the back and hope they do not have a good day.

“To get anything from this type of team you need them to have a bad day,” he contended.

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monday January 6 2014

Serie A clubs ponder Banega move

By Football Espana staff

banega-v-athletic490ai.jpg

Valencia midfielder Ever Banega is set to become the subject of renewed interest from Serie A in the winter transfer market.

The Argentine international, 25, has a contract at the Mestalla until June 2015, yet reports in the Italian media suggest Milan, Inter, Roma and Fiorentina are all monitoring his situation in Spain.

Milan are understood to be in pole position should he decide to leave Valencia, whom he joined from Boca Juniors in January 2008 for a reported €20m, and they are weighing him up as an alternative to Cagliari’s Belgium international Radja Nainggolan.

The Italians are believed to want Banega on an initial loan agreement with an option to buy, although the player himself intimated to Superdeporte back in November that his first option would be to renew his existing contract with Valencia.

Even so, a bid of more than €10m would force Los Che’s hand despite the club admitting they have not received any concrete offers for the player.

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monday January 6 2014

We won’t disregard the Cup says Godin

By Football Espana staff

godin-close490ai_0.jpg

Atletico Madrid defender Diego Godin insists his team will not be putting the Copa del Rey to one side this season.

Los Rojiblancos currently sit second in La Liga behind Barcelona on goal difference and have qualified for the Last 16 of the Champions League.

Having won the Copa del Rey last season the holders now face a two-legged tie with Valencia for a place in the quarter-finals, and Godin has made it clear that Wednesday’s game at Mestalla is the only thing on the players’ minds despite next weekend’s League clash with La Blaugrana.

“We are already thinking about Valencia. Anybody who thinks that we will be putting the cup to one side this season is mistaken,” the Uruguayan told a Press conference.

It was a sentiment that was echoed by midfielder Koke.

“Valencia is the only thing in our minds and we are only concentrating that, not Barcelona.

“We don’t like to give any side anything and want to win every game we play,” maintained Koke.

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zidane: I could never have been Mourinho's assistant

333065_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts166
Jan 6, 2014 10:10:00 AM

The 41-year-old says his relationship with the Portuguese wasn't strong enough for him to work alongside him

Real Madrid assistant coach Zinedine Zidane has revealed that he could never have been Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho's right-hand man.

Zidane enjoyed a difficult relationship with Mourinho during his time as Madrid's sporting director and he has now stressed that he would never be able to work under the Portuguese coach.

"With [Carlo] Ancelotti, it’s all happened quite naturally. I spoke with him by phone a few days before he joined and we sorted everything out. That was a good moment for me, for him and for the club," Zidane told Canal+.

"I wouldn’t have been able to take on that role with a coach I didn’t know. I could never have been Mourinho’s assistant for example.

"And besides, he already had an assistant. It wouldn’t have been right to take on the job of being his right-hand man."

Mourinho left Madrid in the summer of 2013 after an unsuccessful 2012-13 campaign in which he fell out with key players such as Iker Casillas and Sergio Ramos.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Wrap: Ronaldo inspires Real, Rayo Vallecano beaten again

7 January 2014

409479header.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice as Real Madrid claimed a 3-0 La Liga triumph over Celta Vigo on Monday.

The Portugal forward took his tally to 20 league goals this season with a second-half double as Gareth Bale made a substitute appearance following his calf injury.

Karim Benzema opened the scoring, turning home substitute Jese's cross with 67 minutes gone.

Ronaldo then took centre stage, scoring from close range eight minutes from time, with Bale setting up the third in stoppage time.

The result keeps Real within five points of leading duo Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, who both won at the weekend.

Villarreal heaped misery on struggling Rayo Vallecano as Ikechukwu Uche's hat-trick helped the visitors to a 5-2 triumph.

The visitors climbed to sixth with their first win in four league matches, while Paco's relegation-threatened side are winless in five La Liga outings.

Uche, who now has nine goals this season, set the tone with the opener after 10 minutes, with Jeremy Perbet adding two more before the interval.

Two further strikes in six second-half minutes from Uche took the game beyond the hosts' reach, although Nery Castillo's brace, including one from the penalty spot, did restore some pride.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti calm over unconvincing Real

7 January 2014

ronaldo-art_20140107081126302660-620x349.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti was unconcerned by his side's underwhelming display in Monday's 3-0 win over Celta Vigo.

While Real remained within five points of Barcelona and Atletico Madrid at the top of La Liga, they were not at their fluent best at the Santiago Bernabeu in their first game of 2014.

Karim Benzema eventually put the hosts ahead with 67 minutes gone before a Cristiano Ronaldo double late on made the scoreline appear more emphatic than the showing deserved.

However, Ancelotti believes his side simply lacked a spark in their first game back since the winter break, which marked the return of Gareth Bale from a calf injury.

"We didn't play very well, we were a bit slow in the first half but it is normal coming back from the holidays," he said.

"The team did not have an intense rhythm.

"The most important thing was to win the game, and we did that in the second half with more intensity."

Ancelotti also confirmed he did not see an alleged gesture by Angel di Maria after he reportedly received criticism from the home fans following his substitution in the second half.

"Di Maria tried to do his best but it is normal that some people are not happy with his performance," he explained.

"I did not see any gesture. It could be it is an error to respond to the fans."

Explaining Xabi Alonso's withdrawal at half-time, Ancelotti revealed that the midfielder "felt a bit uncomfortable" because of a burst eardrum sustained in the 3-2 win over Valencia in December.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi cleared to play against Getafe in Cup

BARCELONA Tue Jan 7, 2014 12:40pm GMT

r

Barcelona's Lionel Messi kicks the ball to score his second goal against AC Milan during their Champions League soccer match at Nou Camp stadium in Barcelona November 6, 2013. REUTERS/Gustau Nacarino

(Reuters) - Barcelona received a welcome boost on Tuesday when forward Lionel Messi was given the all-clear by medical staff and included in the squad for Wednesday's King's Cup last 16, first leg at home to Getafe.

The Argentine World Player of the Year has not featured for the Spanish league champions since straining his thigh on November 10, the latest in a series of muscle injuries that plagued him throughout 2013.

His return will give the team a lift as they prepare for Saturday's La Liga game at title rivals Atletico Madrid who are level with Barca at the top on 49 points from 18 matches.

Coach Gerardo Martino did not reveal at a news conference whether Messi would feature against Getafe, the team he scored one of the greatest goals of his career against in a King's Cup game in April 2007.

Receiving the ball just inside the Barca half, he dashed through the opposition defence and slotted into the net from a narrow angle, covering 55 metres in 12 seconds.

Many compared the goal to the brilliant effort compatriot Diego Maradona scored against England at the 1986 World Cup.

"If he plays tomorrow hopefully he will score another one just like it," said Martino with a smile.

"He came back (from Argentina) and has been working like any other member of the squad," added Martino who hails from Messi's home town of Rosario.

"Obviously he is lacking a bit of playing time but seeing as we are talking about Leo it is not really an issue. He has told me he is feeling fine and that's why he is in the squad."

Spain midfielder Sergio Busquets is available after he was suspended for Sunday's 4-0 La Liga win at home to Elche but playmaker Xavi is rested.

(Writing by Iain Rogers in Madrid, editing by Justin Palmer)

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti: We must believe Di Maria over groin-grabbing controversy

356925_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle27
Jan 8, 2014 1:56:00 PM

The Argentine has denied making an offensive gesture at Blancos fans during Monday's win over Celta Vigo - and the Italian is standing by his player

Angel di Maria will be dropped to the bench for Real Madrid's Copa del Rey clash with Osasuna - but coach Carlo Ancelotti insists his decision is not founded on a need to protect the winger from the wrath of the Santiago Bernabeu.

The Argentina international sparked controversy in Monday's Liga win over Celta Vigo by grabbing his groin as he was leaving the field to be replaced by Gareth Bale.

Di Maria subsequently denied that this was intended as a vulgar response to the whistles of the home fans and Ancelotti says that the player must be taken at his word.

"We have to believe Di Maria," the Blancos boss told reporters on Wednesday. "Even if anyone thinks it was an ugly gesture, he has apologised. So, the matter ends here.

"I do not think Di Maria will have any problems [with the crowd] in his next game at the Bernabeu. The fans are very demanding but they are also close to the players.

"Di Maria will not start the game [against Osasuna] but not for this reason. It is because Bale did not start against Celta.

"Di Maria still has our trust. There is no problem. The dressing room is calm. We all just want to have a good season."

Di Maria, of course, had been linked with a move away from the Spanish capital even before this week's controversy but Ancelotti insists that there will be no departures - or arrivals - during the January transfer window.

"We think it very clear that there will be no exits or entrances," the Italian stated.

"We have a very good squad, all of the players are fine, we have no particular injuries, and we hope to recover [defender Raphael] Varane in 15 days. This is why we do not need anyone."

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Neymar to sit out Getafe clash

348538_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle44
Jan 8, 2014 1:29:00 PM

The Brazil international is suffering from gastroenteritis and has been advised to rest by club doctors, resulting in Xavi being added to the Blaugrana squad

Barcelona have confirmed that Neymar will sit out Wednesday night's Copa del Rey clash with Getafe.

The Brazil international had been expected to start at Camp Nou after only featuring as a substitute in Sunday's 4-0 win over Elche but the Blaugrana have revealed that the attacker has been forced to withdraw from the squad due to illness.

"Xavi Hernandez comes into the squad for the last-16 game tonight [against Getafe] to replace Neymar, who is suffering from gastroenteritis," a statement on the club's official website read.

"After the visit of the club doctors, they have recommended that he rest and he has, therefore, gone home."

Barcelona will now be sweating on the availability of Neymar for Saturday's La Liga showdown with Atletico Madrid at the Vicente Calderon.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday January 8 2014

Perez offers Raul Madrid return

By Football Espana staff

raul-close490ai.jpg

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has offered Raul the chance to return as a member of the technical staff.

Raul is contracted to Qatar club Al-Sadd and planned on playing for another year before retirement but Mundo Deportivo reports he is considering the President’s offer.

The claim was first made by El Confidencial, who say Perez and Raul met when Madrid travelled to Qatar to play Paris Saint-Germain in a friendly earlier this month.

Raul was offered the opportunity to work alongside former teammates Zinidine Zidane, Guti, Fernando Morientes, Ruben de la Red and Santi Solari, who are all part of the coaching set-up at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The 36-year-old left Madrid in 2010 to move to Schalke, spending two years in Germany before switching to his current employers.

Raul is the record goal scorer and appearance maker in Madrid history, netting 323 times in 741 games and winning six League titles and three Champions Leagues.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Granada 4 Real Valladolid 0

410270header.jpg

Jeison Murillo's breathtaking effort and Recio's double spurred Granada to a comfortable 4-0 win over Real Valladolid in La Liga on Friday.

After a sustained spell of early pressure, the hosts moved ahead in the 12th minute through Murillo's sensational overhead kick from Yacine Brahimi's cross.

The lead was doubled 10 minutes later as visiting goalkeeper Diego Marino flapped at a corner, leaving Recio the simple task of prodding into an unguarded net.

Recio grabbed his second for a first Liga brace as he twisted and turned in the penalty area before firing a low shot beyond Marino.

Valladolid substitute Daniel Larsson missed a gilt-edged chance to pull a goal back, inexplicably heading wide after being set up by Fausto Rossi.

The hosts then added a fourth 12 minutes from time as Youssef El-Arabi turned home, although replays showed he was offside.

It ultimately mattered little as mid-table Granada comfortably saw out their first win in four games, while Valladolid will drop into the relegation zone if Celta Vigo secure a point at home to Valencia on Saturday.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Atletico host Barca, Real visit Espanyol

9 January 2014

370108header.jpg

La Liga reaches the midway point in spectacular fashion this weekend - with a top-of-the-table clash between Atletico Madrid and Barcelona.

The duo are currently level on points at the summit of the Spanish top flight - Barca leading the way on goal difference - and are yet to meet in the league this season.

They did, however, contest the Supercopa de Espana in August, with Barcelona emerging as champions on away goals after a 1-1 draw at the Vicente Calderon was followed by a goalless affair at Camp Nou.

Atletico have won just one of the last eight league clashes between the sides, scoring just eight goals compared to Barca's 24.

Barcelona could be boosted by the league return of Lionel Messi, who scored twice after coming on as a second-half substitute in Wednesday's 4-0 Copa del Rey win over Getafe following a two-month spell on the sidelines with a hamstring injury.

Real Madrid will be keen spectators of Saturday's clash at the Vicente Calderon as they prepare to visit Espanyol in the weekend's other Madrid-Barcelona clash on Sunday.

Carlo Ancelotti's men currently sit five points adrift of the leading pair, but are on an eight-match unbeaten run in the league.

Having conceded 21 goals without reply in seven fixtures between the sides from February 2009 to March 2012, Espanyol held Real to draws in both of their meetings last season.

In the chase for European berths, Athletic Bilbao will be looking to bounce back from a 2-0 defeat to near rivals Real Sociedad as they host Almeria, while Sociedad have five consecutive victories behind them as they head to sixth-placed Villarreal on Monday.

Basement club Real Betis' fight for survival continues as they welcome Osasuna to Benito Villamarin, and the club will be looking for a first win in 12 La Liga fixtures.

Fellow strugglers Celta Vigo and Rayo Vallecano face a tricky home clash against Valencia and a trip to Getafe respectively.

Elsewhere, Sevilla will aim to climb into the top six with victory at Elche on Saturday, Real Valladolid will be hoping to keep out of the bottom three as they prepare for the visit of Granada on Friday and Malaga meet Levante in a mid-table clash on Sunday.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Atletico Madrid v Barcelona

10 January 2014

410024header.jpg

La Liga's top two meet in an eagerly anticipated match at the Vicente Calderon on Saturday as Atletico Madrid host champions Barcelona.

Gerardo Martino's Barca are top of the table on goal difference alone, and their opponents this weekend have displayed marginally better recent form in the league.

Atletico have taken maximum points from their last five games, keeping four clean sheets and seeing striker Diego Costa score six goals in the process.

Barca suffered their only league defeat of the season to date when losing 1-0 to Athletic Bilbao at the start of December, but have bounced back by taking nine points from nine since then and are boosted by Lionel Messi's return from a hamstring injury.

Messi scored twice after coming on as a second-half substitute in a 4-0 Copa del Rey win over Getafe on Wednesday, and will be looked upon to play a key role against Atletico.

Xavi, who was rested for the Getafe fixture, was delighted to see Messi back on the field ahead of a game he feels could prove crucial in deciding the destination of this year's title.

"It was an impressive return and (Messi) has clearly come back hungry and motivated," Xavi told Barcelona's official website.

"The game against Atletico is vital for the outcome of the league - it might not turn out to be definitive, but a win would lay down a marker."

In the last 20 years, Atletico and Barca have met as the sides ranked first and second in the table on only three occasions, with the men from Spain's capital winning two of those meetings.

Barca claimed the Supercopa de Espana when the teams last faced off, triumphing on away goals following a 0-0 draw in the second leg at Camp Nou.

Prior to the first leg of that tie in Madrid, which finished 1-1, the Catalan giants had won their last six games against Atletico.

In addition to welcoming back Messi, Barca are also expected to have Neymar available following a bout of gastroenteritis, while another forward, Pedro, is in fine form, scoring five goals in his last four appearances.

Atletico midfielder Koke has warned his team-mates not just to focus on FIFA Ballon d'Or candidate Messi.

"If he plays we have to be careful because he is the best in the world but Barcelona have great footballers and we must be aware of them all," said the midfielder, who scored the winner in Atletico's 1-0 victory at Malaga last weekend.

"It will be a very important game because the top two teams in the league play, (but) it is just another game and the whole second half of the season is to come.

"We know that to date it is the most important game."

Defender Diego Godin is a doubt for Atletico after picking up a thigh problem against Valencia in the Copa del Rey on Tuesday, while Mario Suarez (knee) is also likely to miss out.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Espanyol v Real Madrid

11 January 2014

410195header.jpg

The pressure is on Real Madrid to beat Espanyol on Sunday and close the five-point gap to La Liga's top two, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.

With Barca and Atleti playing each other on Saturday, Carlo Ancelotti's side will make ground on one or both of them if they can extend their unbeaten run over Espanyol to 12 games.

Espanyol have endured an inconsistent season under Javier Aguirre so far with only six league wins to their name, although one of those did come against Atletico at Estadi Cornella El Prat in October.

The Mexican may not be on the sidelines though after being sent to the stands during last week's 1-0 defeat to Osasuna, if he is found guilty of abusing the referee he could face a touchline ban starting this weekend.

Stopping Real Madrid will be difficult given the 32-time league winners have amassed 31 goals in their last eight league matches, with forward Cristiano Ronaldo getting 12 of those to take him to the top of the goalscoring charts in Spain with 20 for the campaign.

The Portugal international is one of the most in-form players across the continent and is odds-on favourite to lift the FIFA Ballon D'Or on Monday after his displays in 2013.

Real are unbeaten in eight games in the league and Ancelotti is demanding a win from his players when they travel to Catalunya, although he is unsure which result he would like to see emerge from the Estadio Vicente Calderon.

"It is hard to think about what the best result (between Atletico and Barca) for us would be," the Italian said ahead of the match.

"They cannot both lose, but neither can they both win. We have to win to make up points with Barcelona or Atletico."

Espanyol have earned draws in their last two meetings with Real, however they come into the game on the back of consecutive defeats in the league and Wednesday's first-leg Copa del Rey tie with second -tier Alcorcon.

Raphael Varane and Sami Khedira (both knee) are the only players unavailable for the visitors but Aguirre will be without his captain Sergio Garcia through suspension and David Lopez after he picked up a thigh injury in midweek.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Neymar's Barcelona contract may be 'fake', judge claims

350953_heroa.jpg

By Ben Hayward541
Jan 10, 2014 6:16:00 PM

A case relating to a complaint regarding the striker's summer switch to Camp Nou will continue after the prosecutor flagged up irregularities in the deal

Barcelona president Sandro Rosell could find himself in court after a criminal case investigating the signing of Neymar from Santos in the summer revealed the Brazilian's contract may be fake.

The Blaugrana were forced to hand over a dossier detailing the financial elements of the attacker's €57.1 million move, after club socio Jordi Cases made an official complaint last year.

Rosell had hoped the complaint would be thrown out, but the investigation has flagged up irregularities in the deal and the Attorney General of the National High Court has requested further contractual documents as the case continues.

Presecutor Jose Perals has asked for all the relevant documentation in the transfer and could call upon Barca auditors to provide evidence in the investigation, which is looking to establish the whereabouts of the €40 million not received by Santos (with the Brazilian side receiving €17.1m in their share of the deal).

"The contracts that have been signed between the parties do not, at times, correspond to that which is specified within them," the prosecutor's report revealed on Friday, adding that "the contracts signed may have been faked to alter the concept of the payments."

Barca maintain they have done nothing wrong in the transfer, although the Catalan club have been unable to specify exactly who received what.

Meanwhile, one of the third-party owners, supermarket group DIS, claim they received only a small percentage of what they were owed as their part of the deal.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi may not start Barca's showdown with Atletico

BY TIM HANLON
BARCELONA Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:27pm GMT

r

Barcelona's Lionel Messi celebrates after scoring against Manchester United during their Champions League final soccer match at Wembley Stadium in London May 28, 2011. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

(Reuters) - Leaders Barcelona have yet to decide if Lionel Messi will play from the start in Saturday's top of the table La Liga clash at Atletico Madrid.

The brilliant Argentine forward made an instant impact when he came on for the last 30 minutes of the midweek King's Cup tie against Getafe after being out for almost two months with a hamstring injury.

Messi grabbed two goals in the 4-0 win but coach Gerardo Martino is not sure if second-placed Atletico will represent too tough a 90-minute test.

"He looks fine and had a phenomenal 30 minutes in the Cup but he returned after a long time out and the question is whether he is now ready to play a full game at this level," Martino told reporters on Friday.

"We will make a decision tomorrow. It's not really a case of asking a player how he feels as they will usually say 'fine'.

"I have to go by my sensations and look at different aspects to make a decision which people will judge me on. I am the Barcelona coach and pick my XI and then afterwards a decision will be made on how well I do," added Martino.

The coach said he might have been prepared to risk Messi if the Atletico game was later in the season.

"With injuries I usually think about the player first and then about the opposition," he said.

"We are not at a decisive moment like in April...we are in January and the priority at the moment is the players and not the result."

PERFECT RECORD

Coach Diego Simeone's Atletico have a 100 percent league record at home this season.

"Atletico are a strong side and I would say that from June to December they were the most solid side in Europe, not just Spain," said Martino.

"Barca as an institution are always expected to win but this will be an even battle and it should be entertaining to watch.

"We cannot ignore how the game went last time but we don't know whether it will be a similar match or other elements will influence it," added Martino, referring to the 1-1 draw at Atletico in the Spanish Super Cup first leg in August.

"We need to be more precise and open up our play more. It is a different situation to last summer.

"We are better than we were five months ago physically and psychologically, we have been improving while Atletico have never dropped their level," said Martino.

Both teams have 49 points from 18 games but Martino does not believe Saturday's game will be decisive in the title race.

"I don't think it will be with half the matches still to go," he said.

(Editing by Tony Jimenez) nL3N0KK4O9

Cristiano Ronaldo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martino: Messi might miss Atletico clash

357575_heroa.jpg

Jan 10, 2014 8:05:00 PM

Dani Alves, Neymar and Ibrahim Afellay could feature at the Vicente Calderon this weekend, though the Catalans' coach is playing coy on his star attacker

Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino insists he has not yet decided whether Lionel Messi will start Saturday's clash with Atletico Madrid.

The two sides meet in a top-of-the-table encounter this weekend, with both sitting level on 49 points at La Liga's summit.

Despite Messi scoring two goals in Wednesday's Copa del Rey win over Getafe, Martino would not be drawn on whether his star man was ready to command a starting berth having recently returned from a hamstring problem.

"Messi is looking good," Martino told reporters. "He had a brilliant half hour against Getafe. It's true that he's coming off a long period of injury and we have to assess him.

"We have to decide if he's ready to play a full 90 minutes in a match of this kind. I think he's tremendously focused on what's happening here at Barca and he's developing after his injury and that's quite normal.

"Now it's just a question of whether we think he's ready to be on the bench for 30-35 minutes and then come on, or play a full 90 minutes.

"We'll speak to him to see how he's feeling, because the fact is that when a player starts a game he wants to finish the game."

Martino confirmed that Dani Alves and Neymar would be back in contention after spells on the sidelines, while Ibrahim Afellay could apparently return to the matchday squad this weekend.

"I always say the same," the Argentinian continued. "If [Neymar and Alves] are in the squad for the game, they have a chance of playing in the game.

"Dani was a little ill. He had flu when he came back from the break. Neymar was in squad for Getafe game but he was indisposed and he couldn't play but has been training well the last couple of days.

"Afellay doesn't yet have the medical green light, but he is training almost normally, so I think it's the right time to call him up."

This will be the first meeting between Barca and Atletico in La Liga this season, but they met in the Supercopa when Barca won on away goals after two draws and the Catalans' coach expects his players to raise their game at the Vicente Calderon.

"We've had a good look at what happened in the Supercopa," added Martino. "It could be a similar game to what we saw then, but it could be a more open game.

"We're very much better than we were five months ago.

"I think Atletico Madrid's level has never dropped. They started the season at a very high level and they've maintained that level over the last five months."