• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║ La Liga Season 2012-13 ║║

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Alberto Rivera issues warning to Spain's next generation

The Elche midfielder has spoken of his experiences at the Santiago Bernabeu and admits many players will struggle to handle the pressure of making it at the top

Nov 4, 2012 5:08:00 PM
By Daniel Quinton-Navarro

50600hp2.jpg

Alberto Rivera says it is important that Spain's next batch of youth prospects do not relax as they bid to become stars for both club and country.

The 34-year-old made his Real Madrid debut in 1994 at the age of 17, but to further his career moved to Levante, followed by spells with Betis, Sporting Gijon and Elche.

Following his experience at Los Blancos, Rivera has warned the next generation of players not to get ahead of themselves too quickly and to keep focused on the task ahead.

"If I had to tell the young players something, I would tell them they should not relax because they have managed to get there," he told AS. "They must keep on working hard to stay in the first team.

"I made my debut for Real Madrid early in my career, and I was also involved in the national team from such a young age, but the pressure I felt was incredible."

Despite leaving the Santiago Bernabeu without making a significant impact, he pointed to himself and a high-profile former team-mate as examples of success stories away from big clubs.

"In the end I had to leave, but that isn't the end. Take [Roberto] Soldado for example, he left [Real Madrid] and managed to play with the national team," Rivera continued.

"Raul and I had our debut at the same time, and he left his mark on me with his temperament and advice. He had a great amount of confidence in himself, and that is what has helped him in his career."

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Luis Figo at 40 - a look back at football's most treacherous transfer

Goalcom is publishing exclusive extracts from Richard Fitzpatrick's new book, El Clasico: Barcelona v Real Madrid, Football's Greatest Rivalry. This one remembers a polemic move

Nov 4, 2012 12:00:00 PM

197929hp2.jpg

Luis Figo won the Ballon d’Or award in 2000, the year he moved from Barcelona to Real Madrid, a switch that made him the most expensive player in the world. It would be hard to think of a football transfer that caused a greater ruckus.

When he returned to play in Barcelona for the first time in Real Madrid colours, armed police ran alongside his team coach for protection. Still the bus was ambushed by demented Barca fans. Four or five windows were broken. Real Madrid’s players cowered on the floor as stones and bottles whistled past them.

He was, in Barca eyes, the worst kind of traitor – a pesetero, a money-grabber. Fans yelled “Die Figo”, as he took to the pitch; noise levels, according to the sound metre that Canal Plustelevision had installed for the match, were higher than at any nightclub in town.

Anytime he ventured near one of the corners of the pitch objects, including coins, mobile phones, half-bricks, and a bicycle chain, rained down on top of him. When he played in the same fixture two years later, someone threw the head of a suckling pig at him while he prepared to take a corner.

“At first I wasn’t sure,” says Figo about his transfer across the great Spanish divide. “But once I arrived at Real Madrid, I’m glad I did because I came to the club to gain more prestige and to get better financial conditions. I wanted to play better football and win more titles.”

Which he did – in his first three seasons at Real Madrid, Figo won a league title (2001), a Champions League (2002) and a second league title (2003). His move precipitated a shift in the balance of power between the two giants of Spanish football, just as it had done when Michael Laudrup, another traitorous character in the derby’s morality play, departed Cruyff’s Dream Team in 1994.

163082hp2.jpg

Friend or foe? | Figo in action against Pep Guardiola following his Madrid move

Figo, however, fared better in weathering life at Camp Nou as a Real Madrid player. Rattled by the hostile reception he received, Laudrup had to be substituted after 66 minutes of his first return visit to Barcelona in 1995, later claiming that it was “the worst day of my life”.

Figo, although part of a team that lost 2–0 in November 2000 at the Camp Nou, held his own. Carles Puyol was marking him that night. “The thing about Figo,” he said after the game, “is that he never, ever stops moving, pulling you this way and that. But the really amazing thing about tonight was that despite that brutal pressure he was under he kept asking for the ball all the time, as if nothing out of the ordinary were happening.”

“I didn’t care much for the atmosphere,” says Figo, reflecting on the night. “I knew it was going to be bad, partly because the media created it that way. In the end you never know what’s going to happen. My main concern was that, in sporting terms, everything went well and that things didn’t go any further, that they didn’t transcend the boundaries of sport. There was always the risk that something odd could have happened. My idea was simply to go and play and to try and win.”

"I didn't care much for the atmosphere," says Figo. "I knew it was going to be bad ... In the end you know what's going to happen"

141265_hp_thumb.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>

Perhaps the most telling incident of the night came straight after the final whistle. To a man, every one of Barcelona’s players sought Figo out for an embrace. Having downed their tools on the factory floor, they recognised Figo for what he was – a comrade, a fellow worker. Barca’s fans looked on through a different lens, a cartoonish, nationalist one. They fulminated at his defection from the tribe. They couldn’t forgive him.

“I’m not bothered too much by the fans’ reaction,” he says. “What matters to me is that I lived there and had happy times there, and what I achieved there. My conscience is clear. I couldn’t have done more, I think.”

Whenever Figo returned to the Camp Nou, bodyguards were detailed to safeguard him. He says he understands where the fans’ animosity originated. “Fans are people who don’t have their own opinions,” he says.

“Many times, masses are moved by the opinion of others, in this case the media. It’s all about business. In the end, everything was generated by the press. I see it that way because the media always wants to take advantage of a situation.

Whenever Figo returned to the Camp Nou, bodyguards were detailed to safeguard him. He says he understands where the fans' animosity originated. "Fans are people who don't have their own opinions," he says

141265_hp_thumb.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>

“In this case, well, the press ‘heated’ the ambience before the game. For me, despite the rivalry that there might be, football is a sport. Things shouldn’t trespass the limits of sport because if in any situation something else happens – if something bad happened – then people, the vast majority, would feel guilty, remorseful. I see it as a game of football. There’s rivalry, but this rivalry should not drift from the realm of sport into violence.”

Figo, of course, emerged unscathed from the encounters. He says he doesn’t remember seeing the famous pig’s head in 2002 until he saw some pictures of the match on the following day’s newspapers.

He avoided, for instance, a similar fate to Mo Johnston in Glasgow. Johnston joined Rangers in 1989 – via Nantes in France – from Celtic, becoming the first notable Catholic to play for the Protestant enclave. He once shipped a pie to the face from a fan after scoring against Celtic. It does take cojones to do what these men have done.

“In the moment one sees that it is a unique experience,” admits Figo, almost wistfully. “I don’t think there’s another athlete that has played with a hundred-thousand-something crowd against him. It’s good to remember that.”

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: Barcelona look to bounce back

8 November 2012

295097header.jpg

Barcelona will be looking to at least maintain their three-point cushion atop the La Liga table when they travel to Mallorca on Saturday.

The Catalan giants have begun the season like a runaway freight train, winning nine of their first 10 league matches – their only blemish a draw with fellow Spanish heavyweights Real Madrid.

Since that stalemate a month ago, it has been business as usual for Tito Vilanova's men with three consecutive wins that have seen them amass a whopping 13 goals.

But the red-and-blue juggernaut experienced an uncharacteristic glitch on Wednesday when they suffered a shock 2-1 loss to Celtic in the Champions League.

The result served as Barca's second loss in 17 outings in all competitions so far this term, and if there is anything worse than facing Barcelona it is probably facing them when on the rebound, which does not bode well for 13th-placed Mallorca.

After starting the season in promising fashion with three wins and two draws from their first five league matches, Mallorca have fallen in a heap – losing their past five matches including a 5-0 hammering at the hands of Real Madrid a fortnight ago.

And it is hard to see them avoiding their sixth defeat on the trot when they host a stung Barcelona at Estadio Son Moix on Sunday.

Second-placed Atletico Madrid will be aiming to keep the pressure on Barca when they host mid-table Getafe on the same day.

Diego Simeone's men have been just about as impressive as Barcelona so far this season with their eight-match winning streak only coming to an end last weekend when Valencia beat them 2-0.

But before that match Atletico Madrid were simply on fire and strung together a stunning 13 victories in a row in all competitions.

And much like Mallorca against Barcelona, Getafe could be in for a torrid time against one of the best-performed teams of 2012/13 on the back of a rare loss – especially at the Vicente Calderon.

Real Madrid will be desperate to keep in touch with the top two when they travel to Levante on Sunday.

After beginning their title defence with two losses and a draw in their opening four clashes, Real have emphatically clicked back into gear with five wins and a draw in their past six league matches.

But Jose Mourinho's men are still being made to pay for their sluggish start and find themselves five points adrift of red-hot Atletico and eight back from pacesetters, and arch rivals, Barcelona.

However, sixth-placed Levante have also begun the season well and will want to ensure they do not leave the European spots any time soon so, at home, they will be sure to give Real Madrid a stern test.

In other matches, Real Betis host Granada, Rayo Vallecano take on Celta Vigo, Espanyol tackle Osasuna and Deportivo La Coruna travel to Real Zaragoza.

Elsewhere, Malaga lock horns with Real Sociedad, Valladolid welcome Valencia and Athletic Bilbao face off with Sevilla.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Real Betis 1 Granada 2

10 November 2012

295284header.jpg

Granada ended a three-match losing streak with a 2-1 win at Real Betis in La Liga on Friday.

Gabriel Torje handed Granada the lead after just eight minutes, but the teams were on level terms when Ruben Castro found the net in the 62nd minute.

Betis peppered the goal with shots in search of a winner, but came undone when Granada midfielder Mikel Rico beat goalkeeper Adrian San Miguel in the 74th minute.

Granada climbed to 11th on the table with their third win of the season, while Betis missed the chance to go to third and stay in fourth place with 19 points from 11 games.

Granada will play host to Atletico Madrid next week, while Betis travel to face Sevilla.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

198963_thumb.jpg

There aren't many chances for homegrown players at Real Madrid, admits Milla
The former Spain Under-21 coach is the latest person to question Jose Mourinho, with many believing youth-team prospects are being overlooked by the Blancos trainer

203599_thumb.jpg

Alves urges Neymar to join Barcelona
The experienced full-back has reiterated his desire for the 20-year-old to join him at the Catalan giants, but has rejected claims he has put the striker in contact with the club

223888_thumb.jpg

Zenit chase Real Madrid youngster Cheryshev
The Russian side are considering making an attempt to sign one of Los Blancos' promising talents, but it is understood that no official talks have been held

215483_thumb.jpg

Valencia's Barragan: Away form is hurting us
The full-back is of the opinion that the club have paid dearly for their poor showings away from home, and vowed to give everything to turn around their dreadful run

222751_thumb.jpg

Diego: I have not been approached by Atletico Madrid
The Brazilian midfielder has stated that he has heard nothing from his former club regarding a move back to Spain and says that he is fully focused on playing for his current team

213280_thumb.jpg

Obafemi Martins: Madrid match will be a war
The Granotes striker says that he is expecting Los Blancos to be firing on all cylinders for the chance to set the record straight after losing the same fixture last season

149718_thumb.jpg

Varane praises Mourinho influence at Real Madrid
The Blancos youngster has expressed his delight with playing for the Portuguese trainer, explaining what impact the relationship had on his development

205874_thumb.jpg

Feghouli underlines Valencia commitment
The Che talent has put an end to speculation over a possible move away from the Mestalla after expressing his happiness about playing for the club

175545_thumb.jpg

Barcelona don't need a Plan B, claims Alves
The Blaugrana defender is adamant his side do not need to adjust their style of football when facing weaker opposition after reflecting on their Champions League loss to Celtic

212507_thumb.jpg

Drogba: Ronaldo and Messi are monsters
The former Chelsea frontman has heaped praise on two of his fellow Ballon d'Or candidates, while revealing he is still in contact with Jose Mourinho

222084_thumb.jpg

Afellay: My goal is to return to Barcelona
The versatile midfielder is eager to return to the Camp Nou side at the end of the 2012-13 campaign, and has nothing but fond memories of his time at the club

186525_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid have the best youth academy in Spain, says Pavon
The defender believes Los Blancos' academy is among the finest in Europe, and feels blooding youngsters has nothing to do with courage

124535_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid need prestigious players, says Santillana
The 60-year-old has underlined the importance of signing big names for the Blancos, but feels youth players should also get their chance

201590_thumb.jpg

Coentrao resumes Real Madrid training
The Portugal international has spent the past four weeks on the sidelines due to physical problems, but is on the verge of making his comeback

223284_thumb.jpg

Simeone: Atletico Madrid lacked stability
Atleti had their 16-game unbeaten run in Europe ended in Portugal and their coach was less than impressed with their performance

219618_thumb.jpg

Ramos: I opted to be a footballer because it was less dangerous than bullfighting
He may not be El Matador in the ring but on the pitch the defender is as dominant as ever and insists although not every one likes Los Blancos, they are the best in the world

220577_thumb.jpg

Callejon backs Real Madrid youth system
The attacker, who came through the ranks with the club before his brief spell with Espanyol, claims young players are given a fair chance to impress those who pick the first team

208021_thumb.jpg

Fabregas: Zidane was my childhood hero
The Barcelona man says his idol was the former Real Madrid star and that he had posters of the France legend on his bedroom wall as a child

223901_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo: My personality has cost me
The Real Madrid star admits the public's perception of him being moody and arrogant has made him unpopular with certain people

217400_thumb.jpg

Estiarte coy on Guardiola-AC Milan link
The former Barcelona coach's close friend has opted not to respond to questions about a meeting with Adriano Galliani that supposedly took place

221873_thumb.jpg

Ramos reveals he is playing through pain barrier for Real Madrid
The Spain international is determined to keep on helping the team despite his own injury problems because los Blancos are without a number of first-team regulars

143984_thumb.jpg

Matthaus: Xavi or Iniesta deserve Ballon d'Or
The 51-year-old has voiced his opinion that the Spanish duo have done enough to win the individual award over Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi due to their exploits at Euro 2012

213280_thumb.jpg

Martins thrilled goalscoring Levante form has earned Nigeria return
The striker went over a year without an international call-up due to his poor Rubin Kazan performances, but four strikes in six Liga games has seen him return to the Super Eagles

163283_thumb.jpg

Yeste: Llorente rumours harming Athletic Bilbao
The former Los Leones midfielder believes the doubt around the San Mames striker's future at the Basque club is not helping head coach Marcelo Bielsa

223757_thumb.jpg

Cruyff hails Barcelona's youth policy
The Netherlands legend believes academy players can be taught how to handle pressure, making graduates preferable to new signings

222362_thumb.jpg

Guardiola's agent refuses to rule out AC Milan move
The representative of the former Barcelona coach says a move to the Rossoneri next summer could be an option, as is a possible move to England

158961_thumb.jpg

'Ronaldo signing would be great for PSG' - Pastore
The 23-year-old attacking midfielder believes the Real Madrid star is capable of changing games on a regular basis and would love to play alongside him

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thiago Messi made Newell's Old Boys member

The son of Barcelona star Lionel has been awarded an official membership card from the Argentine side, while he will also been sent a replica kit

Nov 8, 2012 3:18:00 PM
By Tom Maston

225465hp2.jpg

Lionel Messi's newly-born son Thiago Messi has been made a member of Newell's Old Boys after an agreement was reached between the club and Messi's father Jorge.

The baby, who was born on November 2, has been issued with an official membership card by the club where the Barcelona star played as a youngster before moving to Spain.

Club officials will travel to Europe with the official documentation for their newest member, whilst a replica kit will also be delivered, which is adorned with the child's name and the N.o. 10. which has been made famous by the Argentina captain.

Thiago has been given the membership ID number 288152-1 by the Rosario-based club, whose other former players include Gabriel Batistuta and Gabriel Heinze.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Real Sociedad stun Malaga

11 November 2012

295413header.jpg

Malaga dropped out of La Liga's top four on Saturday after a 2-1 defeat at home to Real Sociedad.

The surprise win was Sociedad's first in five games and was thoroughly deserved against Malaga, who are bound for the Champions League knockout stages.

Carlos Vela gave the visitors the lead in the opening moments, but Argentine Javier Saviola equalised in the 37th minute.

Sociedad went ahead for good just before the hour mark with Xabi Prieto's goal handing them the three points.

The win drags Sociedad out of the relegation zone and puts Malaga 10 points behind leaders Barcelona.

Elsewhere, Osasuna defeated fellow cellar dwellers Espanyol 3-0 to end a streak of five defeats.

Alvaro Cehudo put Osasuna ahead in the first half before second-half goals from Kike Sola and Manuel Omwu made sure of the win.

Portugal international Helder Postiga netted a brace for Real Zaragoza as they came from two goals down in a see-sawing 5-3 win over 10-man Deportivo La Coruna.

Deportivo went 2-0 up early on through Bruno Gama and Riki but were reduced to 10 men shortly after Apono scored for Zaragoza to make it 2-1.

Pizzi was given a second yellow card for diving four minutes after the restart and that gave Zaragoza the incentive to score four second-half goals through Paco Montanes, Alvaro Gonzalez and Postiga's brace.

The win moves Zaragoza up to eighth while Deportivo remain in the drop zone.

In similar fashion, Rayo Vallecano produced a second-half comeback against 10-man Celta Vigo to win 3-2 after trailing by two goals before half-time.

Gustavo Cabral's sending off just before the break swung the game in Vallecano's favour and they went on to score three times in the second half, with the winner coming from Piti eight minutes from time.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Tough wins for Barca, Real

12 November 2012

295509header.jpg

Lionel Messi kept on breaking records as Barcelona defeated Mallorca while Real Madrid escaped with a 2-1 win over Levante.

Barcelona, though, were given a scare in their 4-2 win over Joaquin Caparros' Mallorca side, with the Catalan giants nearly giving away a three-goal lead on their way to victory.

Xavi put the league-leaders ahead after 28 minutes with a sumptuous free kick before Messi scored his 75th goal of the year in the 44th minute to double the away side's advantage.

Young midfielder Tello then scored one minute later with a powerful drive to give Barcelona a 3-0 half-time lead.

But Mallorca refused to give in and scored two goals in three minutes to haul themselves back into the match.

Michael Pereira struck first in the 55th minute before Sergio Busquets was penalised for a handball in the area, allowing Victor to coolly convert from the spot.

But Barcelona extinguished any hope of a comeback after Messi rifled home his 76th goal of 2012 to move past Pele's goal-scoring record of 75 goals in a calendar year.

The Argentine is now just nine goals away from levelling German great Gerd Muller's all-time record of 85 goals in a year.

The victory ensures Tito Vilanova's side stays three points ahead of Atletico Madrid at the top of the La Liga table.

Meanwhile, Alvaro Morata's first goal for Real Madrid saved his side's blushes after they got away with a 2-1 win over Levante at a rain-soaked Ciutat de Valencia.

Cristiano Ronaldo put the away side ahead in the 21st minute before Angel pulled Levante level just after the hour.

It did not appear to be Real Madrid's day after Xabi Alonso missed a 73rd-minute penalty before substitute Morata popped up to score a with header six minutes from time.

Despite the win, Jose Mourinho's men remain eight points behind bitter rivals Barcelona.

Atletico Madrid ensured they remained a game behind Barca in second after they recorded a comfortable 2-0 win over Getafe at the Estadio Vicente Calderon.

Adrian put his side ahead in the 24th minute before Arda Turan made the game safe on stroke of half-time after he was allowed to stroll through the Getafe defence before rounding goalkeeper Moya to score.

In the day's other games, Athletic Bilbao beat Sevilla 2-1 at home while Real Valladolid held Valencia to a controversial 1-1 draw as the Valladolid were awarded a contentious late penalty.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

125751_thumb.jpg

Ballesteros refutes Pepe assault claims
The 37-year-old has dismissed suggestions that he and the Portuguese were involved in a bust-up after Sunday's game and said he was disappointed with comments made by Sergio Ramos

220299_thumb.jpg

Kaka hails Falcao talent
The Brazil international has spoken of his friendship with the Colombian, while stressing that he is not taking his place in the national side for granted

191768_thumb.jpg

Iniesta: I do not hate Pepe
The Blaugrana midfielder has calmed the rift between himself and the Blancos defender and revealed the two could one day be friends

115593_thumb.jpg

I did not mean to hurt Ronaldo, insists Navarro
The defender says the incident which forced the Portugal international to be replaced at half-time in Sunday's encounter was nothing more than a freak accident

143526_thumb.jpg

Damiao: I dream of playing for Real Madrid
The Brazil international has spoken of his future at his current club and revealed that his dream is to play for Los Blancos later in his career

163493_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid defend Pepe following Levante accusations
The Spanish champions have moved to reject allegations that their players acted in an unsportsmanlike manner at the end of the narrow victory in Valencia

201598_thumb.jpg

Pepe mocked Levante players, claims Juanfran
The Granotes defender has slammed the Portugese international, claiming that he displayed unacceptable behaviour following los Blancos' 2-1 victory on Sunday

226079_thumb.jpg

Iniesta: Messi is the number one
The experienced Spain international believes the Argentine forward is the best player in the game, and also gave his take on youth academies

227443_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo pulls out of Portugal squad
The Real Madrid attacker has opted to withdraw from the Seleccao for this week's friendly game against Gabon due to a facial injury

227440_thumb.jpg

Ramos: Bad loser Ballesteros should swap football for boxing
The Spain international has voiced his discontent with the defender over his behaviour in Real Madrid's victory over Levante, but is happy with the three points away from home

216657_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Morata in Real Madrid team because of me
The Portuguese coach has underlined the fact that he was the one who let the young forward debut in the wake of recent criticism that he does not give youth players a chance

227477_thumb.jpg

Mourinho saved by cantera as Real Madrid keep pace with Barcelona
An late header from youngster Alvaro Morata gave the champions an important win over Levante on a sodden pitch in Valencia. Earlier on Sunday, La Liga's leaders beat Mallorca 4-2

226596_thumb.jpg

Messi does in one year what others do in eight years, says Vilanova
The Blaugrana boss has voiced his admiration for the prolific Camp Nou attacker, and also had positive things to say about promising youngster Cristian Tello

227473_thumb.jpg

Mourinho content with Real Madrid display
The Portuguese was content with Los Blancos' victory and played down the horrific weather conditions the players had to endure

109353_thumb.jpg

Pique delighted with winning Barcelona return
The Spain international has expressed his happiness at making a successful comeback from injury and said he was relieved to be over his recent fitness problems

220671_thumb.jpg

Messi breaks Pele's record for goals in a calendar year
The Argentine is now looking to surpass Gerd Muller's tally of 85 goals over a 12-month period, after scoring twice against Mallorca on Sunday

204286_thumb.jpg

Pellegrino angry with Valladolid penalty decision
Valencia were denied all three points at the Jose Zorrilla by a controversial spot kick, and the Argentine coach believes that the referee's call was incorrect

224526_thumb.jpg

Athletic deserved booing in Olympique Lyonnais defeat - Bielsa
The Argentine coach has admitted that the San Mames crowd was entitled to be unhappy after the Basque club's European campaign was dented by the midweek defeat

224372_thumb.jpg

Benzema insists he would not leave Real Madrid for Paris Saint-Germain
The 24-year-old insists that he will fight for his place in the starting line-up, and also dismissed speculation about a potential transfer to Paris Saint-Germain

123104_thumb.jpg

Pantic: Atletico Madrid can win treble this season
The former player and youth coach believes that the Spanish side are capable of winning all three competitions which they are fighting for this campaign, domestically and in Europe

147736_thumb.jpg

Messi and Ronaldo are welcome to join Levante, jokes coach Martinez
The Valencia-based club's trainer praised the duo and jokingly invited them to play for the team in future, whilst also focusing on Sunday's game against Real Madrid

223912_thumb.jpg

Messi is the best player of all time, says Carlos Bianchi
The 63-year-old believes the Barcelona star's consistency makes up for his lack of success with his country, and feels the game will never see a player of his quality again

226596_thumb.jpg

Vilanova: No rift between Messi and Villa
The coach has moved quickly to dispel rumours that the two attackers are not getting along, and blamed the media for making a mountain out of a molehill

157468_thumb.jpg

Debuchy: I was disappointed Lille did not let me go
The Dogues right-back has revealed that he was unhappy with the club's decision to keep him, but stated that he is now fully concentrated on playing for the French outfit

175530_thumb.jpg

Susaeta: Spain call-up a reward for years of hard work
The winger was caught completely by surprise when he was included in La Furia Roja's squad, but made it clear that it is a deserved chance after all his efforts

103575_thumb.jpg

Iniesta: Winning World Cup 2014 would be extremely special
The Spain international was part of the side that won three consecutive international trophies, but believes victory in the tournament hosted in Brazil would be spectacular

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Referees favour Messi & Ronaldo, claims Simeone

The Atletico Madrid boss believes that referees are too hasty in giving decisions to the Clasico duo, and feels his forward should receive more protection

Nov 12, 2012 5:45:00 PM
By Chris Kvesa

213516hp2.jpg

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone believes that officials handle decisions regarding Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo differently to those concerning his forward Radamel Falcao.

The Argentine trainer has suggested that officials tend to give the duo preferential treatment, but urged them to be more cautious next time they see the Colombian felled.

"I don't like to talk about [referees], but I do occasionally, and it's clear that if you touch Messi and Ronaldo, it's a foul, but when it happens to Falcao, then nothing is given," the Argentine told reporters.

"I hope that in the future they are more alert."

The Argentine went on to reflect on Sunday's 2-0 win over Getafe, and admitted that his side still have a lot to work on in order to meet their goals for the season.

"We looked for the fastest way to the win and it was very effective. In the second half the team were not good.

"In the first half we had the situation we wanted on the pitch. I think it was very good. In the second [half] not so much, so I'm very happy with the result."

Atletico Madrid currently sit second in La Liga, only three points behind table-toppers Barcelona.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: Injury concerns for Barca, Real

16 November 2012

295877header.jpg

La Liga powerhouses Real Madrid and Barcelona both have injury worries up front ahead of this weekend's round of fixtures.

Tito Vilanova's Barcelona welcome Real Zaragoza to the Camp Nou with an eight-point lead over third-placed Real, who take on Atletic Bilbao, but will do so with star strikers on the sidelines.

Chilean Alexis Sanchez could be out for four weeks with a foot injury he sustained on international duty during the week while Argentine Gonzalo Higuain (thigh) is unlikely to recover for Real.

The loss of Sanchez leaves Tito Vilanova with David Villa as the only out-and-out striker in his squad.

That the league leaders often operate with a 'false nine' will offset the loss of Sanchez somewhat.

Jose Mourinho can call upon Karim Benzema again to fill the void left by Higuain with the Frenchman expected to come up from a knock he suffered against Real Zaragoza nearly two weeks ago.

In their last league game, Real ground out a 2-1 win at Levante on a waterlogged pitch with 20-year-old striker Alvaro Morata scoring his first goal for the club.

That leaves them still eight points behind Barcelona in the title chase and five behind Atletico Madrid.

Diego Simeone's side are only three points behind pace-setters Barca having lost only one of their opening 11 fixtures.

Sunday's trip to 15th-placed Granada almost certainly poses another three-pointer for Atletico.

Having safely negotiated the Champions League group stage, Malaga refocus their attention to La Liga away to Osasuna in a bid to move up from fifth.

On Saturday, Valencia take on second-bottom Espanyol while Deportivo La Coruna welcome Levante in the early Sunday fixture.

Later on, Celta de Vigo tackle Mallorca, who are trying to avoid a seventh straight loss in the league.

Getafe welcome Real Valladolid, Sevilla host fourth-placed Real Betis and Real Sociedad are at home to Rayo Vallecano.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

227443_thumb.jpg

'I really miss him' - Cristiano Ronaldo admits he is still fond of Sir Alex Ferguson
The 27-year-old Portuguese international spent six successful seasons at Manchester United before moving to Real Madrid, and described his former boss as his 'father in football

204663_thumb.jpg

Vilanova hails Madrid chief Valdano for Guardiola comments
The Barcelona boss also revealed why Andres Iniesta started last weekend's La Liga tie on the bench, and gave an update on skipper Carles Puyol's fitness

210653_thumb.jpg

Puyol to make Barcelona return against Zaragoza
The Blaugrana captain has spent the last 45 days on the sidelines, but is now fit to play first team football once again after coming through training unscathed

209254_thumb.jpg

No problem between Villa and Messi, insists Pedro
The Barcelona forward says the pair enjoy a healthy relationship, while responding to accusations that the Blaugrana's style of football is no longer entertaining

222534_thumb.jpg

Falcao: It is too early to be talking about winning La Liga
The Colombian forward insists, despite the good start his side have made, they still have a long way ahead of them before they can even begin to contemplate being title contenders

223281_thumb.jpg

Mourinho 'very happy' not to win best coach, says Karanka
His assistant has claimed that the Special One is content with not receiving the accolade for best trainer having guided Los Blancos to the Liga title last campaign

216935_thumb.jpg

Pedro: Barcelona & Spain are not boring
The versatile attacker feels the Blaugrana and the national side both try to play attractive football, and has insisted they will not change their style

148605_thumb.jpg

Roberto Carlos: There cannot be much more room in Messi's trophy cabinet so Cristiano Ronaldo should win Ballon d'Or
The Brazilian believes that the Real Madrid attacker should be rewarded for his fine form, and is also backing Jose Mourinho to pick up the Coach of the Year award

222549_thumb.jpg

Falcao reveals admiration for Chelsea
The Atletico Madrid star is confident that he could replicate his goalscoring feats in English football and also praises the Champions League holders' ambition

195551_thumb.jpg

Saving Real Oviedo: Fans join forces with Cazorla, Mata & Michu to rescue an historic club
The Premier League trio all came through the youth system at the Asturian club and have dug deep to help their former side - along with supporters from over 60 other countries

217691_thumb.jpg

Dani Alves the best full-back around, says Montoya
The Spain Under-21 star is determined to follow in the footsteps of the Brazilian, but has acknowledged that he has to keep on improving

219618_thumb.jpg

Free-kick competition is healthy, says Ramos
The Spain international believes having a number of players with the ability to score goals from dead-ball situations is a good thing for Real Madrid

205384_thumb.jpg

Alves: Barcelona players responsible for Guardiola exit
The Blaugrana full-back has sensationally admitted he feels he and his team-mates were the defining reason behind the coach's decision to leave Camp Nou

202948_thumb.jpg

Urrutia rules out Llorente sale
The Athletic Bilbao president says selling their star striker would only hinder their bid for a successful season, while looking ahead to Saturday's clash with Real Madrid

106217_thumb.jpg

Pinto: I am happy at Barcelona
The Blaugrana No.2 has stressed that he is currently enjoying life playing at Camp Nou and will not worry about his contract situation until it runs out next year

221581_thumb.jpg

Barcelona's Alexis Sanchez out for four weeks
The Blaugrana forward has had a scan on his recent foot injury and it confirms that the Chile international is facing up to a month on the sidelines

222549_thumb.jpg

Falcao not thinking about Chelsea move
The Atletico Madrid man is subject of strong interest from Stamford Bridge, but insists that he remains focused on playing for his current club after 13 goals in 11 games this term

227383_thumb.jpg

Fabregas: Barcelona want Real Madrid to win
The midfielder has insisted that Real Madrid's good results only motivate the Blaugrana to do better, and is delighted to play alongside Lionel Messi

224372_thumb.jpg

Benzema resumes Real Madrid training ahead of Athletic Bilbao clash
The Frenchman spent the past 10 days on the sidelines due to injury, but is ready to make his comeback at the weekend against Athletic Bilbao

228661_thumb.jpg

Neymar admits move to Europe is his dream
The Selecao star scored for Brazil before missing a penalty against Colombia on Wednesday, and after the match he maintained that there is no concrete transfer offer on the table

228664_thumb.jpg

Kaka reveals desire to play in the MLS in the future
The Real Madrid midfielder was in New Jersey for Brazil's international friendly with Colombia on Wednesday and could be back in America permanently someday

184160_thumb.jpg

Busquets: Barcelona concede too many goals
The holding midfielder is by no means satisfied with the Catalan club's vulnerability in defence, and he revealed that he thinks Tito Vilanova is the right man for the job

227622_thumb.jpg

Pique: Ronaldo the best among humans but Messi is from another planet
The Blaugrana defender has described his club team mate as the best footballer in history, claiming the forward is a class apart from his peers and the greats of the past

59953_thumb.jpg

Navarro apologises to Ronaldo via text message
The 32-year-old centre-half, who elbowed the Portuguese ace on the pitch last weekend, decided to make amends and told the former Manchester United star that he is sorry

146551_thumb.jpg

Neymar can eclipse Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi, insists Scolari
The World Cup-winning coach has said that the Santos forward can become the world's best player and admitted he would one day like to become the Barcelona boss

218404_thumb.jpg

Messi and Neymar head Puskas Award nominees
Fifa has released a list of the 10 best goals of 2012 which features strikes from Atletico Madrid's Radamel Falcao, Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa and Fenerbahce's Miroslav Stoch

215674_thumb.jpg

Sergio Ramos admits differences with Mourinho
Los Blancos defender said he has not always got along with the Portuguese coach but insisted their relationship is now fine and also spoke of nearing a century of caps for Spain

157353_thumb.jpg

Busquets refuses to rule out Manchester City move
The Blaugrana midfielder has admitted he does not know if a move to Roberto Mancini’s side will materialise in the future but revealed he felt quite settled at Camp Nou just now

223874_thumb.jpg

Raul: Winning is everything at Real Madrid
The 35-year-old has stated that winning is important for the reigning Primera Division side, but success is not all that matters for los Blancos

208021_thumb.jpg

Fabregas: Morata deserve a chance at Real Madrid
The Spain international respects Madrid's youth policy, but feels the young attacker should be given the opportunity to show what he can do

206652_thumb.jpg

Granero: Madrid did not fail me or Mata
The 25-year-old has defended the Liga champions' decision to sell him and the current Chelsea winger, as he has made it clear only the very best succeed at los Blancos right away

223757_thumb.jpg

Cruyff: La Liga is Barcelona's to lose
The legendary Dutchman has voiced his opinion that the Blaugrana are well on their way to win the league title, and has taken the time to praise star attacker Lionel Messi

228088_thumb.jpg

Messi is untouchable, says Sagnol
The former defender believes the Argentina forward is in a league of his own and has backed him for yet more individual success, while hailing the work of Jose Mourinho

213895_thumb.jpg

Granero dismisses QPR exit talk
The Spanish midfielder has rejected speculation that he is eager to leave Loftus Road following the west London club's poor start to the new Premier league season

157518_thumb.jpg

Albiol: Do not crucify David Navarro
The Real Madrid man has stood up for the 32-year-old, who has come under the spotlight after injuring Cristiano Ronaldo in Levante's defeat to Los Blancos

190724_thumb.jpg

Van Nistelrooy open to coaching career
The Dutchman has made it known that he has not yet excluded any possibility of a managerial position and he admits the idea intrigues him after retiring from the game back in May

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Guardiola is the Steve Jobs of football' - Valdano

The former Argentina international has hailed the former Barcelona coach's influence at the club, and added that youth players no longer play an important role at Real Madrid

Nov 16, 2012 9:50:00 AM
By Stefan Coerts

51255hp2.jpg

Former Real Madrid director Jorge Valdano has voiced his admiration for Pep Guardiola, and has hailed the successful coach's innovative approach at Barcelona.

The 41-year-old guided the Blaugrana to a number of trophies during his four-year spell in charge at Camp Nou, and the Argentine has nothing but praise for his footballing philosophy.

"Guardiola did a fantastic job. He is the Steve Jobs of football: experimental, brave, a lover of beauty, and innovative. He is an important point of reference in the footballing world, and rightly so," he told Eurosport.

"Barca have turned their football into a culture and everything that the youngsters learn at La Masia is then applied at the Camp Nou."

Valdano then went on to discuss Real Madrid's youth policy, and stressed that academy players are no longer as important as they used to be at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"In Real Madrid's history, the youth system has been essential, but times have changed. There seems to be some truth in the idea that for the youth system to play an important part, it's better to be poor than rich."

Valdano left Real Madrid in May 2011 after a conflict with Jose Mourinho.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Barcelona, Real Madrid cruise

18 November 2012

296113header.jpg

Barcelona's incredible start to the La Liga season continued with a 3-1 victory over Real Zaragoza at Camp Nou on Saturday.

With Lionel Messi in deadly form once again, Barcelona made it 11 wins out of 12 in the new campaign in front of their home fans.

Messi opened the scoring 15 minutes in, linking up with Spanish international Jordi Alba before finding the corner.

Zaragoza, to their credit, did not allow their heads to drop after conceding, and forced Barcelona into defending by winning a succession of corners.

And after a set-piece 24 minutes in, a slightly weak clearance from Martin Montoya was pounced on by Paco Montanes, who drilled past Victor Valdes from the edge of the box.

But four minutes later, Barcelona were back in front.

Messi turned provider this time, showing great awareness to cut the ball back to the unmarked Alex Song to score his first goal for the club since moving from Arsenal.

The Argentine maestro added another brilliant effort on the hour-mark to put the result beyond any doubt, and rack up his 50th goal in the 33 league games he has played in 2012, while putting Barcelona six points clear of nearest challengers Atletico Madrid.

Meanwhile, reigning champions Real Madrid registered their fifth consecutive league win as they trounced Athletic Bilbao 5-1 at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Karim Benzema scored twice, one either side of a Sergio Ramos header, to put Jose Mourinho's men three goals up within 32 minutes, but a great strike from Ibai Gomez gave the home side something to think about at half-time.

Real were unperturbed after the break, though, and they continued with their dominant attacking display in the second half.

Mesut Oezil quickly ended hopes of a Bilbao comeback before Sami Khedira completed the scoring in the 72nd minute.

The result means Real remain in third position, eight points adrift of fierce rivals Barcelona.

Elsewhere on Saturday, Roberto Soldado netted a 90th-minute penalty to hand Valencia a 2-1 victory over cellar-dwellers Espanyol, while surprise-packets Malaga played out a scoreless stalemate at lowly Osasuna.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Atletico stay in touch

19 November 2012

296220header.jpg

Atletico Madrid defeated Granada 1-0 to stay in second position behind La Liga leaders Barcelona on Sunday.

A second-half goal from Turkish international Arda Turan was enough to see off Granada at the Estadio Nuevo Los Carmenes.

Atletico were keen to prove their defeat at Valencia last week was nothing more than a slip-up after recording eight successive wins.

But they did not have it their own way with Granada dominating possession for extended periods in the first half.

Granada had two opportunities to break the deadlock during the opening 45 minutes but Youssef El-Arabi's close-range shot was dealt with by Belgian goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, while Gabriel Torje saw his effort hit the post.

However, Diego Simeone's side made the most of their chances with Turan turning in a Koke cross in the 61st minute.

The Madrid outfit held on for maximum points despite a red card to Mario Suarez and are now three points adrift of Barcelona and five ahead of fierce city rivals Real.

Meanwhile, a four-goal first half has helped Sevilla to a crushing 5-1 victory over Real Betis.

Former Arsenal winger Jose Antonio Reyes and Federico Fazio put the hosts ahead inside the opening five minutes.

And the pair added another two goals before the break as Sevilla ended the contest.

Ruben Castro cut the deficit in the second half but Ivan Rakitic restored Sevilla's four-goal advantage deep into stoppage time.

Elsewhere on Sunday, Levante defeated Deportivo La Coruna 2-0 in a match that saw both teams reduced to 10 men, Getafe overcame Real Valladolid 2-1 thanks to late goals from Alexis and Lafita, while Celta Vigo and Mallorca played out a 1-1 draw.

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

201159_thumb.jpg

Benzema is out of this world, says Arbeloa
The full-back has nothing but praise for the former Lyon striker following his display at the Santiago Bernabeu this weekend against Athletic where he scored and assisted two

230379_thumb.jpg

Puyol: Elbow injury the most painful experience I've had
The Spain international spent the past few weeks on the sidelines due to the setback, but he has made it clear that he will not change his style of play

229645_thumb.jpg

Benzema: My best is yet to come
The Frenchman impressed on his comeback, but he has made it clear that he can do even better, while voicing his delight with Madrid's display

159022_thumb.jpg

Barcelona want to seal qualification against Spartak, says Zubizarreta
The Blaugrana want to book their ticket for the knockout stages with a win over the Russian outfit after failing to do so against Celtic two weeks ago

229288_thumb.jpg

Barcelona defender Bartra out for up to three weeks
The Spain Under-21 international pulled a muscle in his right leg during training on Sunday, and could miss a maximum of six games with the knock

221919_thumb.jpg

Karanka happy with Cristiano Ronaldo despite not scoring
The Portuguese failed to register a goal in Saturday's 5-1 victory over the Basques, but the Liga champions' assistant was nonetheless happy with his services to the team

203865_thumb.jpg

Callejon: Victory perfect preparation for Man City clash
Following Real Madrid's comprehensive 5-1 victory over Athletic Bilbao, the striker reveals confidence is high heading into their midweek match against the Premier League champions

221612_thumb.jpg

Iniesta worried by Barcelona's defensive errors
The Spanish midfielder has warned that the Catalan giants are making too many mistakes at the back and have been letting in completely avoidable goals recently

223256_thumb.jpg

'Everyone will be watching Ronaldo' - Neville hails Real Madrid star ahead of Manchester City clash
The former right-back describes the Portugal international as being the "best in the world" during his two-year spell at Old Trafford and expects him to be thrilling on Wednesday

229752_thumb.jpg

Higuain and Benzema are the best strikers in the world, says Morata
The Blancos youngster is of the opinion that his colleagues are the finest forwards the game has to offer currently, and stated that he sees the duo as role models

207657_thumb.jpg

Arbeloa: Ronaldo is happy at Real Madrid
The Spain full-back believes that his team mate has been explicit about his satisfaction with life at the Santiago Bernabeu and has no intention of leaving the club

229645_thumb.jpg

Brilliant Benzema back to his best as Messi closes in on Muller
The Frenchman scored one great goal and forced another in his finest display this season to stake a claim for a permanent starting spot at Madrid. Earlier, Leo shone for Barcelona

229645_thumb.jpg

Karanka picks out 'perfect' Benzema in Real Madrid victory over Athletic Bilbao
The assistant coach was in awe of the Frenchman's overall performance and felt his goals were his just deserts, before issuing a rallying cry about los Blancos' title defence

229571_thumb.jpg

'Messi does not win games on his own' - Vilanova praises Barcelona team effort in Zaragoza victory
The Blaugrana coach hailed the impact of the Argentine, who bagged two of their three goals on the night, but was more pleased with the cohesion his side displayed

229289_thumb.jpg

Pedro tipping Messi to win the Ballon d'Or
The Barcelona winger says he would vote for the Argentine if given the opportunity, but is also hoping two of his other team-mates finish in second and third place

227466_thumb.jpg

Martinez: Ronaldo silence proves Navarro's innocence
The Levante coach believes the Portuguese would have spoken to the press about the incident if he believed it was a deliberate act of malice

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sir Alex Ferguson: Cristiano Ronaldo is unbelievable but unbuyable

The Manchester United manager has waxed lyrical about his former star and would like to think a return is possible but admits that he does not think it will happen

Nov 18, 2012 12:15:00 AM
By Sam Wells

223901hp2.jpg

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says that although he would like Cristiano Ronaldo to return to the club, the Real Madrid winger is now "unbuyable".

The Portugal captain's disquiet at the Santiago Bernabeu was well-broadcast earlier in the season and he has recently declared his admiration for his former coach.

Ronaldo moved from the Manchester side to Real Madrid in the summer of 2009 for €94 million, and has since scored an incredible 165 goals in 162 games for los Blancos.

Sir Alex acknowledges that a return would be ideal but, given the amount of money involved, remains highly unlikely.

"I'd like to think it would be [possible], but I don't think it will be. You're talking about incredible amounts of money now," he told reporters.

"What would you think his value would be? He's definitely unbuyable. Who could afford to buy him?"

He added: "He was *definitely good value for *Madrid, but he *always wanted to play for them. It was his boyhood dream. I’m not saying he'll stay there forever, you never know ... How do you know we've not got a buy-back clause for him?"

The Red Devils boss proceeded to express his appreciation of his former protege, comparing him with the very best that United have had.

"He's an unbelievable player - one of the best. We have a pantheon of great players and Ronaldo definitely compares with any of them," he continued.

"Although he had a natural talent, he is in many ways manufactured himself. He practised and practised. He had a bit of the Eric Cantona about him in that way. Paul Scholes is still the same."

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Redknapp: Mourinho should replace Sir Alex Ferguson

The former Tottenham boss believes that the Real Madrid coach should be the legendary Scot's successor at Manchester United when he eventually decides to retire

Nov 18, 2012 8:42:00 AM
By Sean Monaghan

216657hp2.jpg

Harry Redknapp backs Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho to take over from Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson when he retires.

The Portuguese, who won the Premier League with Chelsea in 2005 and 2006, has made clear his desire to return to England after finishing his job in the Spanish capital.

And the former Tottenham boss is confident that Mourinho's winning mentality makes him the right man to succeed the Red Devils hero, who reached his 26th anniversary in the Old Trafford dugout in November.

"When Alex Ferguson eventually calls time on his amazing career, there will not be many serious contenders to take over, but Jose, I have no doubt, would be big enough to take on the ultimate challenge and succeed the greatest manager this country has ever seen."

Given Sir Alex's vast trophy cabinet over a quarter-century in charge at Old Trafford, the ex-Spurs manager noted that it would be a daunting task for any successor, making Mourinho more of a unique candidate to take it on successfully.

"Attempting to manage this great club has broken many managers. Look at when Sir Matt Busby left Old Trafford. The likes of Frank O'Farrell and Wilf McGuinness really struggled as it was virtually an impossible job," Redknapp continued.

"Taking over from Fergie, whenever it happens, will also be almost impossible but Jose could once again be the special one. If anyone could do it, he could, and United fans would love him."

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

229169_thumb.jpg

Mourinho can deal with the pressure at Real Madrid, says Karanka
The Portuguese's assistant has claimed that his boss is still intent on winning trophies with the capital club, and hinted that Mesut Ozil could return to the starting line-up

202018_thumb.jpg

Godin: Atletico Madrid can challenge Barcelona & Real Madrid
The Uruguay international has stressed that the Vicente Calderon side have the quality to keep up with the two traditional Primera Division giants

226317_thumb.jpg

Xavi: I hope to be at Barcelona for many more years to come
The Spain international has stressed that he has no intention to leave the Blaugrana, and is ready to sign a new deal with the Camp Nou club

229552_thumb.jpg

Messi: Champions League a huge challenge for Barcelona
The prolific attacker is dreaming of winning European club football's elite competition for a fourth time, while refusing to comment on his relationship with David Villa

231270_thumb.jpg

Bale to tell Tottenham he wants Real Madrid move
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is hoping to pry €62 million from the Liga champions, with the Welsh winger making no secret of his desire to move abroad in the future

229318_thumb.jpg

Simeone: We have taken a step forward
The coach was happy after his side secured qualification to the knockout stages of the Europa League with a victory over Hapoel Tel Aviv at the Vicente Calderon

228225_thumb.jpg

'One says, the other thinks' - Cruyff on Messi and Ronaldo's Ballon d'Or hopes
The former Netherlands international has had a word on the differences between the two players, and also talked about the coaching change at the Blaugrana

230433_thumb.jpg

I am not friends with Ronaldo outside of football, says Xabi Alonso
The Spain international has admitted that his relationship with the Portuguese ace does not extend beyond the locker room, but he has only praise for his boss Jose Mourinho

216376_thumb.jpg

Pep's Barca reminded me of him as a player, says Zamorano
The former Chile international is of the opinion that the Catalan coach left his distinctive mark on the Blaugrana during his time in charge of the Spanish club

230393_thumb.jpg

Messi in no rush to sign new Barcelona deal
The Argentine says he has no concerns over his deal at Camp Nou, while revealing he does not aim to compete with Cristiano Ronaldo

212579_thumb.jpg

Leonardo: Ibrahimovic as good as Messi and Ronaldo
Paris Saint-Germain's sporting director has shared his belief that the Sweden international is as good as the best in the world and could win the Ballon d'Or in the future

193160_thumb.jpg

Aragones: La Liga still a two-horse race
The Atletico legend has stressed that the Real Madrid and Barcelona remain the sky-high favourites to win the Primera Division title

160404_thumb.jpg

Thiago & Adriano resume Barcelona training
The Brazilian wing-back and the young midfielder are both on the road to recovery after an injury lay-off and could make their comeback shortly

222548_thumb.jpg

Falcao: I want to win the Champions League
The Atletico Madrid striker is determined to win more silverware in the remainder of his career, and has admitted that he thrives under pressure

229771_thumb.jpg

Modric signing has failed to aid Real Madrid's misfiring midfield
Sami Khedira missed several excellent chances in the 1-1 draw at Manchester City and his side's inability to score from deeper may hurt Mourinho's men later in the competition

221909_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo: My dream is to win the Champions League again
Los Blancos superstar admits winning Europe’s premier competition for a second time is a personal goal of his while he also claims La Liga is the best league in the world

227320_thumb.jpg

Cavani’s agent denies Atletico Madrid contact
The Uruguayan’s representative refutes claims he has spoke with Diego Simeone’s side after reports suggested Atleti are planning a move for the marksman if Radamel Falcao leaves

lker Casillas

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: Big games for big names

22 November 2012

296590header.jpg

The top eight sides meet in La Liga this weekend - a round that will help shape the top half of the table.

League leaders Barcelona travel to Levante on Sunday hoping to recover from an arduous mid-week Champions League journey to the Russian capital.

The Catalans comfortably defeated Spartak Moscow 3-0 with superstar Lionel Messi scoring a brace after Dani Alves' opener.

Tito Vilanova's side has a three-point lead over Atletico Madrid, who host seventh-placed Sevilla at the Estadio Vicente Calderon on Sunday night.

Atletico will also be coming off a European encounter as they welcome Hapoel Tel-Aviv in Thursday's Europa League clash.

El Atleti have won 10 of the past 11 league games and look best placed to crack the Barcelona-Real Madrid duopoly.

Cross-town rivals Real have fallen five points behind Atletico and boss Jose Mourinho will be looking to close the gap at Real Betis on Saturday.

A 1-1 away draw against Manchester City on Wednesday guaranteed Real's progression to the Champions League knockout stage and Mourinho will be hoping that will allow for some better results domestically.

Rock-solid Malaga play Valencia on Saturday, having only conceded nine goals in their 12 league matches this season.

The south coast side will be buoyed by sealing their passage to the Champions League knockout stage with a 2-2 draw against Zenit St Petersburg and are currently three points clear of Italian powerhouse AC Milan.

In other fixtures, Real Sociedad meet Osasuna on Friday while on Saturday, Real Valladolid welcome Granada, Rayo Vallecano entertain Mallorca and Espanyol host Getafe.

On Sunday, Deportivo La Coruna travel to Athletic Bilbao.