SG Live Bet
SG Tipster
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,079
    My Reputation Points: 780 / Power: 8

    Default PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    We must be sympathetic to migrants because they are here to work and make a better life for their families and themselves. I wish them well. But I blame the pap for their selfish motives to exploit cheap migrant labour which will bring in many social problems for SG, Singaporeans and the migrants. PAP's main aims are to grow GDP to benefit themselves and to entrench themselves in power at the expense of migrants and social costs.

    If you have the opportunity, speak to some of these migrants and you will know that many of them have been exploited by the agents. They have to fulfil their two year obligations at tremendous costs because they can't afford to be sent back as they have borrowed money to come to the "land of plenty" SG and they are compelled to slave for two years.

    I had the opportunity to speak to a cleaner last week. He came from a village in China and has two children, a wife and parents in China. He gets S$500 a month working 8 hrs a day. Accommodation is provided by the agent. His contract is for two years. He sends back $300 a month and uses S$200 a month for his food. He tries to work overtime to abt 10 to 12 hrs per day so that he can get $800 per month to send back more money to his family in China. My heart goes out to him and others like him.

    I think SG shd not exploit such labour. We must be gracious and take care of our workers. He is someone's father, someone's son, someone's husband. We dont wish what he has to go through to our loved ones. so we shd not treat him so
    Last edited by TracyTan866; 25-04-2012 at 08:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25,394
    My Reputation Points: 1518 / Power: 318

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    That's not exploitation it's a windfall.

    They go home very rich.


    Screw the CPF! Beat Ho Ching's returns by converting your SGD to ARS and earn 27.18% interest immediately
    Reputation System FAQ
    Wanted : Sam Leong
    NRIC: S1599536-L
    DOB: 25 May 66
    Last known address:Rented Room in Bedok South
    Please note that this Moniker is no longer Persian
    I am now of Burmese descent




  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,079
    My Reputation Points: 780 / Power: 8

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    That's not exploitation it's a windfall.

    They go home very rich.
    If u consider it a blessing, I certainly hope that you get ur wish and become a SG hawker centre cleaner for 2+2 years working 12-hr day and go back rich...may your wish be granted. Better if you can extend your contract and make it 2+2+2 so that you can reap a bigger windfall.
    Last edited by TracyTan866; 25-04-2012 at 09:27 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25,394
    My Reputation Points: 1518 / Power: 318

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by TracyTan866 View Post
    I certainly hope that you can become a SG hawker centre cleaner for 2+2 years working 12-hr day and go back rich...may your wish be granted. Better if you can extend your contract and make it 2+2+2 so that you can reap a bigger windfall.
    They have to do their sums and decide whether the ROI is worth the slog. Nobody puts a gun to their heads. They make the decision all by themselves.

    If they get conned they only have themselves to blame. People have to learn to be responsible for the choices they make.

    If I was from a country where the per capita income p.a. is less than $1000, a few years in Singapore would be a great deal.


    Screw the CPF! Beat Ho Ching's returns by converting your SGD to ARS and earn 27.18% interest immediately
    Reputation System FAQ
    Wanted : Sam Leong
    NRIC: S1599536-L
    DOB: 25 May 66
    Last known address:Rented Room in Bedok South
    Please note that this Moniker is no longer Persian
    I am now of Burmese descent




  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,079
    My Reputation Points: 780 / Power: 8

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    They have to do their sums and decide whether the ROI is worth the slog. Nobody puts a gun to their heads. They make the decision all by themselves.

    If they get conned they only have themselves to blame. People have to learn to be responsible for the choices they make.

    If I was from a country where the per capita income p.a. is less than $1000, a few years in Singapore would be a great deal.
    true..

    but do u know that they are dealing with China agents and not 1st world agents who honour their words? do u realise that these are village folks and are handicapped when dealing with rogue agents? it is unequal dealings.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,079
    My Reputation Points: 780 / Power: 8

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    They have to do their sums and decide whether the ROI is worth the slog. Nobody puts a gun to their heads. They make the decision all by themselves.

    If they get conned they only have themselves to blame. People have to learn to be responsible for the choices they make.

    If I was from a country where the per capita income p.a. is less than $1000, a few years in Singapore would be a great deal.
    anyway, since u think it is blessed for a PRC to come to SG, maybe u can pray to be reincarnated as a China villager and that u can be blessed to have a six year contract as a SG hawker centre cleaner

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25,394
    My Reputation Points: 1518 / Power: 318

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by TracyTan866 View Post
    anyway, since u think it is blessed for a PRC to come to SG, maybe u can pray to be reincarnated as a China villager and that u can be blessed to have a six year contract as a SG hawker centre cleaner
    If you're really concerned about exploitation, tell all your friends who have maids to send them home asap.

    Maids are paid a pittance and they're pretty much on call 24 hours a day. They too end up paying a huge portion of their salary to the agents.

    It's hardly any better than slave labour.


    Screw the CPF! Beat Ho Ching's returns by converting your SGD to ARS and earn 27.18% interest immediately
    Reputation System FAQ
    Wanted : Sam Leong
    NRIC: S1599536-L
    DOB: 25 May 66
    Last known address:Rented Room in Bedok South
    Please note that this Moniker is no longer Persian
    I am now of Burmese descent




  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,079
    My Reputation Points: 780 / Power: 8

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    If you're really concerned about exploitation, tell all your friends who have maids to send them home asap.

    Maids are paid a pittance and they're pretty much on call 24 hours a day. They too end up paying a huge portion of their salary to the agents.

    It's hardly any better than slave labour.
    wrong..

    i request that they treat their helpers as family members.

    and those i know do treat their helpers as family

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,079
    My Reputation Points: 780 / Power: 8

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    They have to do their sums and decide whether the ROI is worth the slog. Nobody puts a gun to their heads. They make the decision all by themselves.

    If they get conned they only have themselves to blame. People have to learn to be responsible for the choices they make.

    If I was from a country where the per capita income p.a. is less than $1000, a few years in Singapore would be a great deal.
    do u want me to pray for u that u get ur heart's desire to be a a SG hawker centre cleaner for six years so that u can get blessed?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The World
    Posts
    3,357
    My Reputation Points: 670 / Power: 7

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    That's not exploitation it's a windfall.

    They go home very rich.
    You are a Singlish Exterminator and this is how you write?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25,394
    My Reputation Points: 1518 / Power: 318

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by TracyTan866 View Post

    and those i know do treat their helpers as family
    So you add a "family" tag and suddenly the term "exploitation" doesn't apply anymore.

    The fact that they have to clean the shit from the toilets, scrub the shower cubicles, wash soiled undies, scrub the floors, pick up after the kids and pander to the whims and fancies of those who pay them slave wages suddenly becomes acceptable because they're "family".


    Screw the CPF! Beat Ho Ching's returns by converting your SGD to ARS and earn 27.18% interest immediately
    Reputation System FAQ
    Wanted : Sam Leong
    NRIC: S1599536-L
    DOB: 25 May 66
    Last known address:Rented Room in Bedok South
    Please note that this Moniker is no longer Persian
    I am now of Burmese descent




  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,079
    My Reputation Points: 780 / Power: 8

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    So you add a "family" tag and suddenly the term "exploitation" doesn't apply anymore.

    The fact that they have to clean the shit from the toilets, scrub the shower cubicles, wash soiled undies, scrub the floors, pick up after the kids and pander to the whims and fancies of those who pay them slave wages suddenly becomes acceptable because they're "family".
    i do all those things too..my mum did that too...we are family.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pyramid
    Posts
    18,732
    My Reputation Points: 898 / Power: 9

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Foreigner workers, why do they come here? By kidnapping? No. They read through their terms and conditions feel it's much more lucrative than staying in their home countries. Nobody abiding by laws and rules, terms and conditions are exploiting them. In fact, they're providing a better way out for them than their home countries can provide. The few cases of miscreants and even criminals are those who abused them or defaulted on their agreed wages. We cannot generalize.

    Anyway Tracy, you're very self-contradictory. Should a foreign worker be entitled to Singapore level of salary and living standard? I think Singapore doesn't owe any foreigner any living, but Singapore does owe every Singaporean. Their home countries owe them but can't afford to honor it. That's why they come here.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25,394
    My Reputation Points: 1518 / Power: 318

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by TracyTan866 View Post
    i do all those things too..my mum did that too...we are family.
    Good point. I'll send an email to all the agents of the PRC cleaners & Bangla construction workers to treat all their employees as one big happy family from now on.

    They can then work them 18 hours a day with no overtime payment. That's how family members help each other. A win-win situation for all concerned.


    Screw the CPF! Beat Ho Ching's returns by converting your SGD to ARS and earn 27.18% interest immediately
    Reputation System FAQ
    Wanted : Sam Leong
    NRIC: S1599536-L
    DOB: 25 May 66
    Last known address:Rented Room in Bedok South
    Please note that this Moniker is no longer Persian
    I am now of Burmese descent




  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,079
    My Reputation Points: 780 / Power: 8

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    Good point. I'll send an email to all the agents of the PRC cleaners & Bangla construction workers to treat all their employees as one big happy family from now on.

    They can then work them 18 hours a day with no overtime payment. That's how family members help each other. A win-win situation for all concerned.
    well done. if we can treat each other with empathy and compassion, this world wld be a better place

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    13,167
    My Reputation Points: 4561 / Power: 17

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    They go home very rich.
    more so when they strike the Singapore Sweep... 2.2 million Singapore dollars? imagine the exchange rate... whoa~! very rich is an understatement...
    i am an ordinary sinkie sheep!!!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,079
    My Reputation Points: 780 / Power: 8

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramseth View Post
    Foreigner workers, why do they come here? By kidnapping? No. They read through their terms and conditions feel it's much more lucrative than staying in their home countries. Nobody abiding by laws and rules, terms and conditions are exploiting them. In fact, they're providing a better way out for them than their home countries can provide. The few cases of miscreants and even criminals are those who abused them or defaulted on their agreed wages. We cannot generalize.

    Anyway Tracy, you're very self-contradictory. Should a foreign worker be entitled to Singapore level of salary and living standard? I think Singapore doesn't owe any foreigner any living, but Singapore does owe every Singaporean. Their home countries owe them but can't afford to honor it. That's why they come here.
    what is the self-contradiction you mentioned? i believe Singapore has to take care of Singaporeans. foreigners shd not be admitted just because they are cheaper.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pyramid
    Posts
    18,732
    My Reputation Points: 898 / Power: 9

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by TracyTan866 View Post
    what is the self-contradiction you mentioned? i believe Singapore has to take care of Singaporeans. foreigners shd not be admitted just because they are cheaper.
    Are you ready to pay foreigners S$2,000 per month to collect your rubbish and upkeep your estate, then your conservancy bill will be like S$600 p.m. instead of like S$50. For condo, the bill can go up from average of S$400 to S$1,000. If you and the majority are willing to pay that, then there's not much need for foreign workers. Many Singaporean bengs, mats and nehs should be willing take the jobs. Money don't grow on trees, dear. It has to come from somebody's pocket or bank account.
    Last edited by Ramseth; 25-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,397
    My Reputation Points: 384 / Power: 6

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    hahaha......typical frog in the well....talk to a cleaner and immediately cum to conclusions.
    if she talks to the prc mms, she will think that they are all angels being exploited by tikos sinkapooreans.......lol.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,079
    My Reputation Points: 780 / Power: 8

    Default Re: PAP's Bad Policy - Exploitation of Migrant Labour

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramseth View Post
    Are you ready to pay foreigners S$2,000 per month to collect your rubbish and upkeep your estate, then your conservancy bill will be like S$600 p.m. instead of like S$50. For condo, the bill can go up from average of S$400 to S$1,000. If you and the majority are willing to pay that, then there's not much need for foreign workers. Many Singaporean bengs, mats and nehs should be willing take the jobs. Money don't grow on trees, dear. It has to come from somebody's pocket or bank account.
    Yes, I am prepared to pay people their worth so that they can feed their families in SG. I believe we cant pay a cleaner $800 a month when cost of living has gone up so much in SG. Yes, I agree that if we pay $2000 to a cleaner, many Singaporeans will take up the job and we dont have to import cheap foreigners and get so many social problems. if we pay decent pay to bus drivers, we dont have to import sub standard and dangerous PRC bus drivers who cant communicate with Singaporeans.

    We will have less unemployment problems. We will need less cheap foreign labour. We may be able to lessen future social problems brought abt by cheap unskilled , unqualified third world foreigners.

    Yes, cost of living will go up if we pay decent salaries. But, to me, that is better than what the pap is doing now, artificially suppressing the true cost of labour of Singaporeans but continue to reward themselves obscenely.

    We must go beyond self but think of others. We must go beyond looking at present gains but think of the future implications. We must think of what's best for Singapore in the future and not be stuck with our heads in the ground like an ostrich.

    We must not exploit cheap foreign labour and exploit poorer Singaporeans. We must pay them so that they can survive and feed their families decently. Otherwise, we will have a huge group of Singaporeans who are poor, undernourished with poor health, unskilled, unqualified in the future. That will be a huge burden for Singapore to shoulder.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. PAP's Migrant policy is Seriously Flawed
    By TracyTan866 in forum Political Issues [no rep deductions]
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 15-02-2012, 09:30 AM
  2. Man fined and jailed for employee exploitation
    By chobolan in forum Singapore Crime
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-12-2011, 11:36 AM
  3. PAPee Maid Levy = Blatant Exploitation!
    By makapaaa in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 10:57 PM
  4. Does the labour chief know labour laws?
    By Ramseth in forum Political Issues [no rep deductions]
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-11-2008, 04:31 AM
  5. BEST Paid Govt = WORST Exploitation in World!
    By makapaaa in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 06:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •