• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans Love For Weird Names - Is It Lack of Self-Esteem

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Today I received a call from a female, a suspected telemarketeer, trying to sell me her products. As per normal, so as not to hurt her feelings, I allowed her to rattle on. At the end of the talk, which was conducted in horrible English, I humbly told her that I do not have any money and am living from hand to mouth. She then hung up the phone.
What baffled me most was her name. She identified herself as Clithorene Yap. Blimey and Goodness gracious me it was not Clitoris Yap. Hopefully there won't be some other local lass with such a name.
Read the papers, go through the news on the telly, browse through magazines and hear it over your phone. Singaporeans with weird sounding western names. Infact some of the names are so "shhimm" or deep in local Hokkien that you will fall back on your comfortable sofa with a dazzled look on your face. Examples are Atomic, Grammaticus, Nauticus and many more. If you want more, just go through the classisfied column on Saturdays and see the names of housing agents. I just wonder why it has become so trendy with our locals to use such names. Ang-mors don't use our local names. Original Chinese names are so nice and carries a lot of meaning. We should be proud of the names given to us by our parents..
The same goes with our Indians. Samy's have chosen Sam, Balas as Baller and Nathans as Naydern.
Why is like that hor?? I buay ming-peh (I don't understand).

Tonychatter

Alfrescian
Loyal
What you expect? The typical Sinkie idiot has a name like Ace Kindred Cheong...

ace.jpg

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lack of self-esteem indeed. Trying too hard to stand out from the crowd. Here's one of my favourite writers' take on this:

But there is a deeper reason why such efforts at asserting one’s unique individuality are pathetically bound to fail: for true individuality does not arise from a decision to be an individual. A man who decides to be an eccentric, and therefore to behave eccentrically, is not an eccentric at all, but an actor, and usually a bad one at that. A true eccentric is a man who behaves eccentrically because it simply does not occur to him to behave otherwise.

Theodore Dalrymple

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
List all the funny names especially from PRC or HK here:
Singer called himself "Crowd" ??? what Crowded?
SKY Wu?
Chemical Wu?
Listerine Wu?
Virginia sounds very obscene if u called wrongly!
Pen Is Wu?
Sulphuric Wu?
Rain WU? might as well called himself Raining!
Acid Wu?

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's a doctor by the name of dunno-wat...wafer wu, waffle wu, wolverine wu or woffles wu? Kinda of weird...hahaha!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my health care provider assigned me an imported general practitioner from burma. her name is tintin toon. name of viet chick who served me coffee - miss phuc dat bich. i advised her to adopt sinkie first name - mee hard. she's now called phuc mee hard.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why you all worry about other people's names? I have same non-Chinese name in my official name for reasons. I thinks so do others. It's my name, my reason, and others' names, others' reasons. I can't improve your life by changing and restricting it back to pure Chinese. There's no even such thing anymore. Names must be Romanized. Writing Mao Zedong or Deng Xiapong is not Chinese and not the same as writing 毛泽东 or 邓小平。

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is only targetted towards the chinese. There are ang mohs, blacks with jap and chinese names, there are m&ds and shit skins with stupid ang moh names but hey let's ignore all of that. Let's just focus on the chinese with these type of names only.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh yes when a non chinese especially an ang moh but actually any non chinese has a chinese name oh he's praised to be so open minded so wise and hailed as a shining example of a non chinese so proud to have a chinese name to shame all potato chinese. :rolleyes:

Yet for some odd reason nobody lectures this person for hating his own culture and taking up chinese culture.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think HK people are more imaginative, their name quite funny, I have friends called Sinbeo, Atom and Bosco

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's Chinese problems with names? Lee Kuan Yew's given name by parents was Harry Lee Kuan Yew. For political purpose, he removed the Harry. Most Chinese so happy and voted for him. Then later regretted to tried to vote for Francis T. Seow who didn't his name.

Last edited: