• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Women who made the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

jw5

Loyal
1660750337115.png

Women who made the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame​

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio has been operating since 1983. The foundation awards membership based on musicians' achievements over the entire course of their careers, so they are usually inducted later in life. However, there has been a lot of controversy over there being a very low proportion of women inducted compared to men.
Dolly Parton earned herself a nomination this year, the singer decided to withdraw from the list of nominees for 2022 induction. In a post shared to social media on March 14, she explained, "Even though I am extremely flattered and grateful to be nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, I don't feel that I have earned that right. I really do not want votes to be split because of me, so I must respectfully bow out."
But, she added, this isn't her bowing out for a potential future nomination. "I do hope that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame will understand and be willing to consider me again—if I'm ever worthy," she continued. "This has, however, inspired me to put out a hopefully great rock 'n' roll album at some point in the future, which I have always wanted to do!" She added that her husband Carl Dean has always encouraged her to do one, so we might get some new Dolly tunes out of this at the very least!
"I wish all of the nominees good luck and thank you again for the compliment," she concluded. "Rock on!" The other nominees include Beck, Pat Benatar, Kate Bush, DEVO, Duran Duran, Eminem, Eurythmics, Judas Priest, Fela Kuti, MC5, New York Dolls, Rage Against the Machine, Lionel Richie, Carly Simon, A Tribe Called Quest, and Dionne Warwick, and the inductees will be announced in May.

jw5

Loyal
1660750643365.png

Tina Turner​

Tina Turner was inducted, along with ex-husband Ike, in 1991 by the late Phil Spector. In 2021, it was announced that Turner would be inducted again, but this time as a solo artist.

jw5

Loyal
1660752507712.png

Carole King​

Carole King is another female artist who made history with her 2021 induction. She was also honored for a second time. Stevie Nicks is the only other female musician to be honored twice, since joined by Turner and King.

jw5

Loyal
1660826637276.png

The Go-Go's​

The female rock band The Go-Go's have been eligible for the Hall of Fame since 2006, but they only appeared on the ballot for the first time in 2021. They made it in on their first go!

jw5

Loyal
1660838948588.png

Nina Simone​

Nina Simone wasn’t alive to see herself being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018 by Mary J. Blige.

jw5

Loyal
1661000219248.png

Etta James​

Soul singer Etta James was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1993 by k.d. lang.

jw5

Loyal
1661086889736.png

Madonna​

Madonna was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by Justin Timberlake in 2008.

jw5

Loyal
1661090010956.png

Whitney Houston​

Alicia Keys inducted the late Whitney Houston into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2020.

jw5

Loyal
1661181106638.png

Stevie Nicks​

Stevie Nicks was inducted into the foundation as a solo artist by her friend, Harry Styles, in 2019. This made her the first woman to be honored in the Hall of Fame twice.

jw5

Loyal
1661259632160.png

Stevie Nicks​

As the lead singer of Fleetwood Mac, she was previously inducted into the foundation in 1998 with her band, with Sheryl Crow doing the honors.

jw5

Loyal
1661351094192.png

Dusty Springfield​

Dusty Springfield died in March of 1999, and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in November of the same year by Elton John.

jw5

Loyal
1661354291327.png

The Supremes​

The three members of the Supremes, Florence Ballard, Diana Ross, and Mary Wilson, were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 by Little Richard.

jw5

Loyal
1661440288735.png

Patti Smith​

Patti Smith was inducted in 2007 by Zack de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine.

jw5

Loyal
1661607637084.png

Bonnie Raitt​

Bonnie Raitt was inducted into the foundation in 2000 by Melissa Etheridge.

jw5

Loyal
1661693725508.png

Janis Joplin​

The late Janis Joplin was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1995, also by Melissa Etheridge.