• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will humans find another planet to live before this one dies?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Silicon based life is not likely because the bond energies of Si-Si, Si-H, Si-N, Si-S, etc, which are needed to create a living organism, are too low. Only carbon can form strong enough covalent bonds with a variety of other elements to give rise to life.

Sorry bro but even then the human body is too complex and precision for all parts of it to fall into place and into order even by billions of years, whether the "adhesive" is Si or C.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correct.

Earth was created for us. The tides, the seasons, night and day, our senses and emotions are tied into this. We must appreciate this and not yearn for something else. Too bad we've gone the pathway where futures traders are better off than farmers and fishermen. We need to turn back.

Cheers!

Hmmm. I would like to add that there are at least 20 million species of life on Earth, yet only one - Man - can do certain things others cannot. Like invent the computer. So why should we be surprised that Earth is the only inhabited place among millions of planets in the universe.

moomoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry but as a creationist, I find this very hard to believe. Even evolutionists won't claim that life came out of carbon mixed with water.

How did the Earth form? It was formed because gravity from the Sun was strong enough to pull rocks in the Universe together. So as galaxies crashed, planets crash, heat was produced, rocks banged and the Earth was formed.

The Earth spins around the Sun because of gravity - the sun is bigger. You don't float because of gravity - the Earth is bigger.

Many many billions years ago, probably carbon mixed with something else gave rise to the first life on this planet. And life needs water to live.

Many billions years of evolution later, you have what you see now on Earth.

moon of pluto? cough, although through spectroscopy we know they are mainly water ice object, but...its still too cold. all less than 100k

i think you mean moon of jupiter, europa where current spectroscopy technique found large volume of liquid water below the icy surface. this is the most promising one which they are surely planning to send satelite there. just read on wiki a mission to it on 2016

Hi yes you are an intelligent man. Thick face is not, he is a typical showboater rat, sprouting nonsense all year long without making a single sense.

Pluto is indeed very cold. I was sleepy when typing my post. What I meant to say was the moon might have life in it, underneath the ice. Us humans can't live there because it is too cold.

I think only Mars is "tolerable" for humans.

Yes, but I think you also understand that Si is not very versatile in forming compounds in the same way that carbon can.

Actually, apart from organic chem, Si-Si bond is considerably weaker than C-C; just look at pure silicon versus diamond. Silicon dioxide may be strong, but there is no comparison to CO2 because they are different molecular structures altogether in the solid state.

It is unlikely that Si can expand octet. Just like carbon, the maximum hybridization of Si is sp3, for example in silicon tetrahydride or tetramethyl silane. Its not like sulfur for instance that can expand octet by promoting one of the 6 valence electrons into the d subshell.

Forming coordination compounds is possible, but in terms of organic chem or forming of life, its not relevant.

Talk about going off on a tangent with your showboating.

It has been observed that all life forms are carbon based. It doesn't matter if another substance bonds stronger or not, we are not trying to create the next generation of metals here.

Just because a bond is strong doesn't mean it can form a living thing. Do you see steel or copper waving to you? What bullshit.

Humans need a lot more than certain selective elements in a planet to survive. All elements of human survival need to be present. Not only does it have to be oxygen, there has to be enough water, temperature must be correct, there must be plants, animals etc. None of the planets fit the bill. Even the latest planet found recently, one part of it never gets dark and one part never gets bright. This is unlikely for long term human survival because we'll either get skin cancer or go blind.

Earth is made with a precision for human survival. That's why I'm a creationist.

And if you want to travel at the speed of light, you probably won't survive either - you will be mashed into flat bits.

You got it the other way around. The Earth did not evolve to fit us. Us, humans, evolved to fit the Earth.

Believe it or not, all life on earth began from the same ancestor. You, your plant, your dog, all share the same ancestor 4 billion years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_universal_ancestor

Hmmm. I would like to add that there are at least 20 million species of life on Earth, yet only one - Man - can do certain things others cannot. Like invent the computer. So why should we be surprised that Earth is the only inhabited place among millions of planets in the universe.

Man is just a cousin of the monkeys. We evolved from monkeys and 97% of our DNA is similar to monkeys. Simply put, we are monkeys.

We can invent the computer, yes, because we have the most advanced brain on Earth as a result of evolution. But don't think us humans are special, because we are really just a species of monkeys.

Us humans live on a planet called Earth. In our galaxy Milky Way alone, there are billions of planets like Earth. In our Universe with many galaxies, there are zillions of planets.

We are far from special. Our planet is even a dust or 0.00000000000000000001 of a dust.

moomoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scientists know little about the origin of life—except that it happened. Earth formed 4.5 billion years ago from innumerable collisions of smaller rocks. The leftover debris from planet formation careening through the solar system bombarded Earth even after it achieved its full size. During this period, known as the late heavy bombardment, the surface was routinely devastated by large impacts. This period ended about 3.8 billion years ago. Oddly enough, the oldest known microfossils date back 3.5 billion years ago, and there is tantalizing evidence of life as early as 3.8 billion years ago. It seems that, as soon as life could survive on the surface of Earth, it began—in a very short amount of time. But many scientists believe the origin of the first life forms from non-life forms must have taken more than the few million years between the end of the late heavy bombardment and the first evidence of life. Therefore, either life began on the surface during the late heavy bombardment, or it began in a protected environment away from the surface and the devastating impacts.

The Miller-Urey Experiment

In 1953, Stanley Miller and Harold Urey performed a radical new experiment. They generated a spark in a mixture of water, methane, ammonia, and hydrogen, a composition believed to contain the major components of Earth's early atmosphere. After only one week, Miller and Urey succeeded in forming complex organic carbon compounds, including over 20 different types of amino acids, the building blocks of life. The Miller-Urey experiment, which has been replicated thousands of times in high schools and colleges around the world, stands as a proof of the concept that, in the "warm little ponds" believed to pepper the surface of early Earth, the beginnings of life could form.

http://www.scienceclarified.com/dispute/Vol-1/Did-life-on-Earth-begin-in-the-little-warm-pond.html

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sorry bro but even then the human body is too complex and precision for all parts of it to fall into place and into order even by billions of years, whether the "adhesive" is Si or C.

I am more interested in the physics and chemistry of life than in its origin.

Frankly, I've read arguments from evolutionists countering creationists and arguments from creationists countering evolutionists, and none convince me.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
How did the Earth form? It was formed because gravity from the Sun was strong enough to pull rocks in the Universe together. So as galaxies crashed, planets crash, heat was produced, rocks banged and the Earth was formed.

Bro, how did the sun pull rocks together to form the planets and not doing it now?

The Earth spins around the Sun because of gravity - the sun is bigger. You don't float because of gravity - the Earth is bigger

Both the sun and Earth has gravity. That is no explanation as to why the Earth revolves around the sun.

You got it the other way around. The Earth did not evolve to fit us. Us, humans, evolved to fit the Earth.

You were saying earlier that life needs water to live and now saying that humans evolved to fit Earth. If Earth had no water, surely we would evolve into something that does not need water. So why do men (and animals) need water?

Anyway I never said the Earth evolved to fit us. I believe the Earth and man were both created by God for each other.

Believe it or not, all life on earth began from the same ancestor. You, your plant, your dog, all share the same ancestor 4 billion years ago.

Sorry but I belong to "not". How did man get so far ahead of the rest in intellect if evolution was so random. All the animals in the world combined cannot be more intelligent that man.

It's already hard to believe that men and fish came from a common ancestor, and now you're saying plants? And if men and fish came from a common ancestor, people should find fossils that are somewhere in between. There are none.

moomoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am more interested in the physics and chemistry of life than in its origin.

Frankly, I've read arguments from evolutionists countering creationists and arguments from creationists countering evolutionists, and none convince me.

It is obvious that you don't know shit from shit so shut up.

Bro, how did the sun pull rocks together to form the planets and not doing it now?
Both the sun and Earth has gravity. That is no explanation as to why the Earth revolves around the sun.

The larger the mass, the larger the gravity. The Earth revolves around the sun because the sun has larger mass. The moon revolves around the Earth because the Earth has larger mass.

The sun is still pulling everything around it. That is why the Earth and every planet in our solar system rotates around the sun. Asteroids still crash onto the Earth ever so often. A big one might come anyday, we don't know.

I am too lazy to explain everything to you, it is impossible anway. Here's a read. You need a very basic understanding of the universe and astrophysics to understand it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_and_evolution_of_the_Solar_System

You were saying earlier that life needs water to live and now saying that humans evolved to fit Earth. If Earth had no water, surely we would evolve into something that does not need water. So why do men (and animals) need water?

It seems that water is one thing that cannot be missed out. All living things need water.

Humans have evolved from Chimpanzees.

All humans today were Africans once. Yes, your forefathers 1 million years ago were Africans.Our skin colour, hair colour all are due to evolution after our forefathers migrated out of Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_skin_color

Sorry but I belong to "not". How did man get so far ahead of the rest in intellect if evolution was so random. All the animals in the world combined cannot be more intelligent that man.

It's already hard to believe that men and fish came from a common ancestor, and now you're saying plants? And if men and fish came from a common ancestor, people should find fossils that are somewhere in between. There are none.

All living things - man, fish and plants - share a common ancestor. The spilt from the common ancestor occurred billions of years ago. Most probably the common ancestor was just an amoeba or a simple living cell structure. We split from the plants and fishes while we were all still a single cell or a few cells. Therefore, you will not find that we bear any physical resemblances with plants. However, our cells and DNA share resemblances, through DNA analysis, we know we shared a common ancestor billions of years ago.

Man are "intelligent" yes. But we were not the only species to rule the Earth.

Once there were dinosaurs as well. They ruled the Earth and had they been around, man would probably not have time to evolve to the intelligence we have today. We would all have been eaten up while we were still chimpanzees. We have found countless fossils of dinosaurs as you know. Hundreds of thousands of them.

The dinosaurs were like men today, they conquered the Earth. But one fine day 70 million years ago, a giant asteroid (Chicxulub asteroid) slammed into the Earth and the impact was so terrible that it wiped them out.

Only the dinosaurs that could fly were spared. These flying dinosaurs are the birds you see today.

By the way, everything I type here are facts. Not fancy science fiction but reality.

Another asteroid could hit tomorrow or next year, and we would all be wiped out. Galaxies and their planets smash into each other all the time because of gravity (once again gavity). In fact, even the Earth could explode if the asteroid was big enough. Asteroids hit the earth daily but we just were lucky we have not had a big one for 70 million years now since the Chicxulub asteroid hit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_Crater
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretaceous–Tertiary_extinction_event

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry Moo but you don't seem to be responding, just repeating. It goes like this: you pick up something and says it's not a handphone. I ask why it rings and you can talk through it and you just repeat that it's not a handphone.

moomoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry Moo but you don't seem to be responding, just repeating. It goes like this: you pick up something and says it's not a handphone. I ask why it rings and you can talk through it and you just repeat that it's not a handphone.

I am not repeating, I am kind enough to explain it to you so as to dispel your ignorance.

And let me explain the word hand phone to you as well. The only people who write hand phones are those in HK, SG, MSIA who translate it from Chinese into English literally.

The proper word for what you are referring to is the mobile phone.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
All I know is, if men continue to reproduce at our alarming rate, we'll fuck Earth proper with consumer pressures. We need to tell everyone to have less kids. 1 per couple would be nice. Reduced population will result in reduced needs for resources overall. This will cut the rate or resource depletion and pollution.

I am not saying we should stop fucking and having enjoyable sex. I am saying we should start on responsible parenting. If you can't afford the kid, don't fucking make 1.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
All I know is, if men continue to reproduce at our alarming rate, we'll fuck Earth proper with consumer pressures. We need to tell everyone to have less kids. 1 per couple would be nice. Reduced population will result in reduced needs for resources overall. This will cut the rate or resource depletion and pollution.

I am not saying we should stop fucking and having enjoyable sex. I am saying we should start on responsible parenting. If you can't afford the kid, don't fucking make 1.

We need to reach a stable equilibrium of zero GDP growth if we want to preserve Earth for future generations.

But do you know why the world political will never do that?

A zero GDP growth economy will spell disaster for those multi-million and billionaires who rely on ever increasing labour and production to achieve their wealth.

It is too politically incorrect to be even mentioned, let alone be implemented.

That's why Mother Earth will die a slow death and our future generations wake up one day having to face NEGATIVE GDP growth if we want to save the planet.