• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why they retire this advanced airliner?

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Way ahead of any current shit planes we are having right now....too bad it's retired...

air_france_concorde.jpg

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You did not read the news?...no? the Concorde is more than 30 years old...a fuel guzzler...true..it was ahead of its time...

I think we have a currency note that shows the SIA colours on one of the CONCORDE!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Apart from the fact that it was a fuel guzzler, it also had a major problem meeting the noise limits set by most airports. As a result, it had limited landing rights and was therefore a commercial disaster despite the fact that it was a technological marvel in many ways.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apart from the fact that it was a fuel guzzler, it also had a major problem meeting the noise limits set by most airports. As a result, it had limited landing rights and was therefore a commercial disaster despite the fact that it was a technological marvel in many ways.

I used to build an AIRFIX model of that plane, when I was......:wink: forgotten the scale...with BA colours!.

I admired that plane...despite all its shortcoming, and the fire disaster that finally grounded the plane...

Never had a chance to sit in one:biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes, SIA used to own one with British Airways. On one side is the SIA bird, the other side is the British Airways livery.

Subsequently we find it too ex and oil guzzler and decided to give up. Only Air France and BA operate this plane until a few years ago, they start crashing. There was a very serious air crash in France of this plane that lead to the retirement of this plane.

Although its a plane before its time, in today's standards, its considered behind time, don't talk about the speed - its still unmatched - but is it worth paying the price for the plane? The cabin is said to be very crammed.

In any case, who knows, it is actually a Decepticon hiding inside, waiting to come alive in Terminator 3 haha...

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to build an AIRFIX model of that plane, when I was......:wink: forgotten the scale...with BA colours!.

I admired that plane...despite all its shortcoming, and the fire disaster that finally grounded the plane...

Never had a chance to sit in one:biggrin:

Ah there's something you donno...

On the day Concorde was back in action, after extensive refurbishment, it was on it's way to NYC....Sept 11.

That's when 911 attacks happen, the plane had to turn around, and fly back to UK.

it was reported that half of the frequent fliers of this plane died in 911 attacks....

So they grounded the plane for economic reasons...:biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
maybe they worry - one day if the concorde is hijacked, it can fly so fast, the fighters cannot catch up to shoot it down.

so, for safety reasons, they shld ground the plane haha.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe they worry - one day if the concorde is hijacked, it can fly so fast, the fighters cannot catch up to shoot it down.

This is a good point too!

But with a footprint size like this, it is easily shot down with any air-to-air missiles..

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think under SOP, they must first try to obtain radio contact to ask the plane to turn back, failing which, obtain visual ID to determine if the plane is indeed hijacked or the pilot has passed out - to do this, you may need to "intercept" the plane and guide it (hopefully) to land elsewhere.

If all these fail, finally, shoot the plane down. If the concorde fly so fast, it will be difficult to accomplish visual contact...

no lah...the fighters can fly faster than a concorde...the plane was grounded for mechanical safety and economic reasons.

Now even the 20 dollar note with that plane is a collector's item.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In the movie "Airport 79" the Concorde managed to evade a Phantom F4 & a fired AA missile using a hand flare gun :p Thats Hollywood & it was the LAST Airport movie ever made :smile:

The reality was that the Concorde was aging & couldn't carry enough passengers to make it profitable. It was built when oil was cheap.

It was also a noisy airplane, limiting it to routes where people wouldn't complain about the noise e.g. over sea

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To bring it back, have to improve fuel efficiency by half and reduce noise pollution.
Is the best passenger plane even fly faster than most fighter jet in the world eg. F16