• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why serve NS or have SAF when we don't even have our own food supply?

chinkandoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing I don't understand is

Many people support NS as a form of defense and deterrent against aggressors.
But in an event of a war or aggression, do we have sufficient food to last even 1 week? Do we have adequate farms to supply enough carbo and protein to keep our defenders fit?

Also, do we have enough water to hydrate the soldiers in the hot weather?
If we are fighting a war in the hot months, where are we going to get our water from? Desalination? Then where are we going to get Fossil Fuels from?

Why have an army when we cannot supply the most essential thing - food?

Big Wayang :mad:

What makes you think we must fight the war here? Haven't you learn from IP Man (who someone said was the old Man's fave)?

You should "defend and strike at the same time", "the best defence is an offence" those are the words of true Yung Chun Masters.

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal
What makes you think also you will win when you fought war from the outside? The theory also not tested and don't know if it works? You can only simulate it.

pocoyo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Such discussion seems to surface again and again countlessly..

As the old saying goes, all the army, navy, air force, expensive toys are wayang for investments from foreigners only.

Seriously, other than the wealth that this land could bring, would the white scums really bother if a war were to strike here? (Which means all the revenues from this island would stop)

I seriously doubt they would as most people have rumoured all the fat cats could have already placed their wealth in other countries..

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
As the old saying goes, all the army, navy, air force, expensive toys are wayang for investments from foreigners only.

What expensive toys! They are using a few cheap weaponry and previous gen aircraft!

400,000 NS men are slaves!

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
SFI catered food for all SAF personnel in their cookhouses still dare to say no food supply?
ungrateful soldiers only know how to whine n grind.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
SFI catered food for all SAF personnel in their cookhouses still dare to say no food supply?
ungrateful soldiers only know how to whine n grind.

Let me ask you

When war comes and the supply lines get cut or Malaysia refuse to ship us food,
Where are we getting our rice, meat and eggs? How many days' supply can you stock up to feed 3 million Sinkies?

:mad::mad:

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good for you. After my full-time, I also left. I didn't migrate as in changing citizenship though. I simply kept renewing exit permits until they were also bored with me and dropped me out of the system.

Not everybody can be like us. Don't accuse them of being supportive just because they do reservist. They've got no else to go to and no choices to choose from.

When you go overseas, there is nothing they can do. I still remember some stupid rule that you got to SEEK permission from your unit to work overseas.... FUCK them. Ask them if they pay your salary or help you secure the job?

With such mentality towards their own people, will soldiers welcome opposition army or fight for a country who enslave them?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, that's the exit permit I'm talking about. Seeking permission to go abroad is really demeaning and debasing, but what to do? We have to put up a smile and go through the formalities.

The laws are there and the consequences for not complying are there. Leaving without applying can be even worse, unless one has the intention and means to stay away forever, never to return to Singapore again.

I've accumulated a stack of exit permits. I've never had application or renewal rejected before. My documentation at application was always impeccable, with US Embassy certified copies etc.

I do pity some of my friends and peers who got their disruption or deferment rejected. Then, lose job or promotion opportunities.

When you go overseas, there is nothing they can do. I still remember some stupid rule that you got to SEEK permission from your unit to work overseas.... FUCK them. Ask them if they pay your salary or help you secure the job?

With such mentality towards their own people, will soldiers welcome opposition army or fight for a country who enslave them?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think our stance is to act as a deterrent much like Israel...strike first so long we have sufficient belief that hostility is imminent.

We cannot afford to defend - cos we don't have enough ground to defend. First smell of trouble, we will strike to knock out enemy's strike capability. And then wait for an aircraft carrier to arrive.

bcos there will be no second chance...we have nothing...all we have is our infrastructure built up over these years. Once port / airport/ infrastructure is destroyed by whatever shit...we are gone. Even if we finally win the war, we are still gone.

Times are different, we won't have the chance to build up ourselves as financial hub, logistics hub, whatever hub bcos the world is not goin to give us the time and chance to develope again.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
We cannot afford to defend - cos we don't have enough ground to defend. First smell of trouble, we will strike to knock out enemy's strike capability. And then wait for an aircraft carrier to arrive.

You don't have a choice to defend or not. What makes you so sure we have the intelligence and information to strike against enemy targets?

Look at what 9/11 did to US. Can they defend against it?

One missile at Singapore and the economy is gone. Where is our anti-missile weaponry?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro, yes u are right....there is no defense sometimes...such gureilla / surprise attack is impossible to defend.

however, SAF don't tell you everything...for all you know, we might be developing the missle defense shield...over strategic areas of course...place like Mandai zoo or sengkang HDB estate excluded.

like israel also from times to times genna rockets from afar.

but what israel does is, they will strike if they have intel to believe hostility is coming...like what they did to the aid-ship and incursions into Syria. Aside from questions regarding legality and what nots....what they did at least safeguard (not 100%) their interest.

now, i am not saying they are right or wrong...but rather than waiting for trouble to come, they choose to nip it when it is brewing...and they have muscle (acting like school bully) - and since they have the clout (with US on their side), they maximise it.

Like what we would be doing if we could.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've said many times and will say it over and over again. Singapore should have an aircraft carrier (minimum Invincible-class size) and nuclear missile submarine (minimum Vanguard-class size). Then nobody dares disturb Singapore. Because of small size land and population base, Singapore can't hope to invade others (whether pre-emptively or defensively) and hold on to their lands. Can only blow the hell out of them!

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. to project an image of superior ; "Show you my muscle , scare or not ?"
2. to attract investment ; "come and invest , your $ will be safe here, we have gurkhas, american buddy - uncle sam looking after my back."

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
\
however, SAF don't tell you everything...for all you know, we might be developing the missle defense shield...over strategic areas of course...place like Mandai zoo or sengkang HDB estate excluded.

What nonsense!

How can you develop a complete missile defense system WITHOUT testing it??

If they have one, they will need to test it and since we cannot live test in our country, they need to test it somewhere else where official approval from UN or host country is required. Nothing will be secret.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Israeli did it.

So Sg think they can do it too.

The Jews suffered centuries of persecution & annihilation, the founding of Israel the nation was not that easy also...and they don't call that day Happy Birthday Israel...

SAF is to show the neighbours that, we are just too 'painful' to swallow....we can't compare Israel with SINgapore...:p

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing I don't understand is

Many people support NS as a form of defense and deterrent against aggressors.
But in an event of a war or aggression, do we have sufficient food to last even 1 week? Do we have adequate farms to supply enough carbo and protein to keep our defenders fit?

Also, do we have enough water to hydrate the soldiers in the hot weather?
If we are fighting a war in the hot months, where are we going to get our water from? Desalination? Then where are we going to get Fossil Fuels from?

Why have an army when we cannot supply the most essential thing - food?

Big Wayang :mad:

You need certain numbers of soldiers to qualify a rank of BG in the army. The Son of Founder wants BG status to hau lian and made 13 year recycle reservists to make up the numbers. ORD is not enough number for army to have BG rank and reservists make up the diff.

Army is not about serving the country and you are right when there are no farms to grow own food and mountain to product fresh stream of water to support a war. It is build to get/ catch you (criminally) both ways, in civilian life or in army life in case if you try to chowka with PAP, and also monitor your movements in and out of Singapore.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What How can you develop a complete missile defense system WITHOUT testing it??

If they have one, they will need to test it and since we cannot live test in our country, they need to test it somewhere else where official approval from UN or host country is required. Nothing will be secret.

Singapore doesn't develop or test missiles. It buys developed and tested ones.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think our stance is to act as a deterrent much like Israel...strike first so long we have sufficient belief that hostility is imminent.

bcos there will be no second chance...we have nothing...all we have is our infrastructure built up over these years. Once port / airport/ infrastructure is destroyed by whatever shit...we are gone. Even if we finally win the war, we are still gone.

Times are different, we won't have the chance to build up ourselves as financial hub, logistics hub, whatever hub bcos the world is not goin to give us the time and chance to develope again.

In this region, no need have army actually. All you need is to bride the Indons and Malays in Malaysia. These 2 corrupt countries accept brides easily as long as you keep feeding them well and fat as pig.