• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wishes his family members Happy International Women’s Day. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

11 hrs ·
To those who call (and have called) so many of the shots in my life—the Queen (for whom we invest for the future), the Love (for whom if without, I would not be able to do half the things that I do), the Sis (for whom I find repeated reason to be immensely proud), and the Matriarch (for whom I remain forever grateful for her sacrifices)—may the world continue to fight for your rights, dignity, and freedom. To them, and all the others that hold up half the sky: Happy International Women’s Day.

1646756441650.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus has some points about starting time for schools. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

Yesterday at 13:48 ·
Before our daughter was born, I used to get up, every morning, at around 5:30 am (sounds crazy, I know). I would awaken, clear emails for a half hour while I got the sleep out of my eyes, then head out to the gym or for a run. After brekkie, I would trek to the office and bang out a couple of hours of solid work. By 10 o’clock, just as many coworkers were streaming in, I would have already gotten much done, well before meetings and other disruptions crept in.
My habits then are not that unusual for those who are older. But this isn’t the case for pre-teens and teenagers. Many students often feel compelled to stay up late, and feel that they are most productive in the wee hours of the morning. There is a reason why this is the case, beyond a desire to listen to late-night radio. Our bodies respond to biological cues, and the so-called circadian rhythms of youth differ from that of adults. Put another way, teens sleep late because Mother Nature deems it so.
That’s why early classes are such a horrible experience for the young—they are literally fighting nature. This may seem like no big deal, since you may say nobody pays attention for morning classes anyway. But it isn’t costless. Research has shown that when adolescents sleep more, they have better behavior, health, and even do better in school! Here’s one such study: https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aau6200 as well as a review: https://doi.org/10.1111/josh.12388. Think about it; all those endless hours tuition, moving to get closer to a preferred school, the endless bottles of essence of chicken. All that, just to squeeze a few more points. And yet we ignore the much simpler strategy: get more sleep.
That’s why having a staggered start to schools—a half hour later (8 am) for upper primary, a full hour for secondary (8:30 am), makes inherent sense (and as someone who lectures to bleary-eyed undergrads, a 9 am and later start for tertiary is also appealing). Would this just lead to a shift in bedtimes, negating the effects of a later start? As it turns out, evidence suggests otherwise. While students do end up in bed later, they tend to not do so by as much as the delay, thereby enjoying real gains in rest.
Another common objection is that it could exacerbate jams, especially during the morning rush hour. Setting aside how callous this is (do we really want to deprive our kids of better health and grades so we don’t sit a little longer in traffic?), it is also unlikely to be a problem. Many upper-primary and secondary kids already make their way to school using mass transport, such as public and private buses. Besides, most pickups would in any case occur earlier, between 7 and 8., before the times many office workers begin their commute. Staggering the cohorts would further smooth traffic flow, relieving the current crunch that occurs with most schools starting at a common 7:30 am. If you live near a school yourself, you’ll probably understand what I mean.
In his reply, Education Minister Chan explained that “many schools” already have later start times for some days. But he declined to provide details when I followed up with a question about what proportion of schools did so routinely. While a single-day late start would still be welcome by students, it won’t move the needle in terms of actually changing sleep habits for our kids. Coordinating a later start across all schools is a better way to pick this low-hanging policy fruit. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus makes the case for free ridership for the elderly and disabled. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

10 hrs ·

The Workers' Party

14 hrs ·
In a cut for the Ministry of Transport, MP Jamus Lim made the case in favor of free ridership for the elderly, and those with disabilities. Such a move would yield benefits to wellness, employment, and the environment, and is both affordable and inclusive.
Video Credits: Mediacorp

jw5

Loyal
Jamus tells sinkies to be brave. :wink:

Jamus Lim

11 hrs ·
This week, our #TeamSengkang house visits took us to 314C, which we were able to complete. One of the residents I met worked for a government body (a fact she shared with a lowered voice).
I sometimes meet people who work for a ministry or agency, who feel afraid to publicly share their support for us. Some are concerned that their sympathy for the opposition would compromise their careers. Others would feel that it was not appropriate that they show their support for a group that was, by default, opposed to the government.
In my view, this is an unfortunate mindset that I hope we, as a democracy, will be able to transcend. Government bodies serve the government of the day, which may be constituted by one party or another (or, in other democracies, by coalitions of parties). The bureaucrats that work for agencies and ministries are professionals. They should perform their jobs to the best of their abilities, taking direction from the current leadership of the nation.
But there is absolutely no reason why they cannot have their private political preferences, nor any reason that those preferences need align with the party currently in power. There is also no reason to think that they would do their jobs any less well if they happen to support a different political party. Ultimately, they serve the country, and the people. When our civil servants—and everyone else, for that matter—embrace that understanding, we will have truly matured as a democratic society. #SengkangGRC
May be an image of outdoors and text that says MAJULAH SINGAPURA SINGAPURA MAJULAH

jw5

Loyal
Jamus speaks about bike lanes. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

7 hrs ·

The Workers' Party

10 hrs ·
In a cut for the Ministry of Transport, Jamus Lim suggested piloting a scheme where lower-utilization roads within towns carve out designated bike lanes, which would address the last-mile problem for bicyclists.
Video Credits: Mediacorp

jw5

Loyal
Jamus is concerned about the environment. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

13 hrs ·
During the recent Committee of Supply debates in Parliament, one ministry—Sustainability and the Environment—received more “cuts” (MP requests to speak) than any other, by far. This speaks to the importance of environmental concerns for our constituents. Like many practical-minded economists, I tend to favor a carbon tax over most other tools for addressing emissions, such as fuel efficiency/clean energy standards. I even prefer the tax to a cap-and-trade scheme (which fixes the total amount of emissions, then permits subsequent exchange of quotas). This may be surprising, especially since a cap-and-trade emissions trading system is rather ingenious, much admired for its efficiency-promoting design. I even taught it at length when I delivered a class on environmental economics!
The problem with cap-and-trade is that it tries to be cleverer by half. But since it is less straightforward to observe and enforce, it promotes gaming of the system, and compliance is poor because it is poorly understood. Whatever the reason, the result is an inferior outcome than the simpler approach. I have found that this is a problem with many of the PAP’s solutions; in the pursuit of efficiency, we end up with complicated policies that produce mixed results. All that said, even though I think emissions trading is problematic, there isn’t any reason why we shouldn’t try to have such a scheme, alongside a carbon tax, so long as it remains a secondary tool for addressing excess carbon.
So, one (seemingly) useful application of emissions trading is carbon offsets: basically, someone who knows they’re going to end up polluting a bunch goes off and buys a permit from someone else, who has quota to spare. The problem is that the system doesn’t quite work as advertised. Basically, carbon offsets vendors sell permits, but these vendors just end up paying off ranchers not to cut down trees (rather than planting new ones).
What’s needed is, literally, an honest broker: a vendor that doesn’t just hawk these permits, but actually goes ahead and offset the purchased carbon. Even better if they retire the permits altogether, thereby reducing pollution permanently. The easiest way to do this is for the government to work with profit-driven companies, lending its reputation as a regulator and deep pockets to the effort (this is often known as a public-private partnership).
That’s where Singapore comes in. We want to be a green financing hub. So let’s put our money where our mouth is, and have the government commit to forming a credible carbon offsets exchange. But they could go even further, and offer a steady stream of business to get the exchange going. How? Well, require offsets for all official travel by civil servants. Charity begins at home. Incidentally, this also sends a signal that the government takes the issue of reducing carbon footprint seriously. It’s a small but important step to help get us to our net zero target by the second half of the century. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus spends time with his family. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

7 hrs ·
After two long weeks in Parliament for the debate over #Budget2022, I was overdue to spend some time with the family, so today became bring-the-family-to-work day at #Anchorvale. We covered the Parkview cluster, which (perhaps not-so-coincidentally) has a number of playgrounds nestled within the blocks. So our little one proceeded to “test the equipment,” while Daddy (mostly) had to content himself with walking around, making sure that everything else was in order. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC

1647087156548.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus likes nachos. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

14 hrs ·
Growing up, the nachos we had were always pretty vapid: over-salty chips lathered in gooey faux cheese, topped with a token amount of tired-looking salsa. I was only exposed to how great nachos could be when I was studying in California, where fresh ingredients and thoughtful assembly elevated this dish to a delicious, yet easy-to-prepare, meal.
For me, it’s a reminder that we can always make simple choices that can improve the quality (and, hopefully, nutritional value) of the stuff we eat, especially if we’re willing to take a little time to prepare the meal ourselves. We substitute the ground beef with meat-free mince, cheese product with shredded cheddar, regular sour cream with its light version, and salsa with a pico de gallo made of fresh chopped tomatoes, onion, and cilantro (aka Chinese parsley) (we do cheat and use canned black beans, as well as cured olives and pickled jalapeños). It’s a nice throwback to childhood movie nights at the cinema (where we also stuffed our faces with kachang puteh, but that is rapidly disappearing too).
May be an image of food

jw5

Loyal
Jamus encourages healthcare workers. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

5 hrs ·
COVID-19 has been extremely taxing for many of us, and enormously disruptive to our daily lives. Yet for all the challenges we have encountered, they often pale in comparison to those faced by our essential workers—especially emergency room medical workers—on a daily basis.
So #TeamSengkang has been blessed to be able to share some encouragement, in the form of a home-made poster by some preschool children and a basket of snacks, for this group of healthcare professionals at Sengkang Hospital. In my conversations with #SengkangGRC residents, many do express their appreciation for the presence of a hospital right by their doorstep. And if you happen to have to visit a hospital anytime soon, it’s useful to recall the sacrifices that have been made by our doctors, nurses, and support staff, and to remember to be kind to those on the frontline of the battle against the pandemic.
May be an image of 3 people, people standing and Superman