• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why I think Sporeans are not willing to start families.. young.. or at all

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lau Lee opened his mouth again.. and "encouraged Sporeans" to have more babies.. even start families at a younger age.. and everyone responded with positive and negative remarks to his .. shall I call it.. "a plea"?

Firstly, I am still single.. and I may not even consider marriage at all now.. I had a few relationships (wif women.. I not gay ah).. and tho I almost ended up marrying a Japanese.. it was not to be as differences in thinking, culture and upbringing and future outlook showed how futile it would be to be together.

However, my thoughts here are regarding the possible concerns of the sporean couples.. and why they might not want to start a family at a early age.. or perhaps not start one at all.

I have a friend who is married.. and she and her hubby is happily enjoying her 8th year together.. no kids.. and they probably won't even want to adopt any. She told me once that everything now is fast-paced, and becos she and her hubby is working, she is worried that she may not haf any time wif her children.. if she were to consider having kids. To her, time spent wif her children is the most important aspect of being a parent.. as that is when she feels she can connect wif her kids.. and nuture and instill good values.. and bond early with them.

With the strains of working life nowadays, she doesn't believe that she can actually haf any time for her children at all. And this thought is shared by her hubby.. who says if he can't play wif his children when they are babies.. and into their early teens.. he just didn't want them at all. He feels that if he did not spend time with his kids, he would miss the best times of their lives.. eg when they first started to crawl.. when they took their first steps.. said their first words.. he felt .. and still feels.. that these are moments in his life.. and his kids'.. that can NEVER be replaced. Yes, his wife.. or someone else could record them on video or take pics.. but it won't be the same for him.

I have a friend, who has a cousin that has been dating his girlfriend for 7 years. One time, I asked casually, "when are you 2 going to get married?". He looked at me, wide-eyed and said, "I can't even afford to pay the first month for a flat.. not even wif her help.. do u think we can get married like that?" For him.. and his gal.. the thought of staying with his parents after marriage.. is HORRENDOUS. She didn't like it.. neither did he.

He even said, "it will feel weird and uncomfortable.. with my parents around.. how am I going to get intimate with my wife??"

I agree! Every couple should have their own space.. for romance.. intimacy.. for the "making" to happen. it's gonna feel awkard wif your parent's eyes on you.. no one likes to give a free show to their parents.. would they? (Ok.. not talking about the ppl who like to expose or has exhibitionism in their blood)

And.. with the wages of the average Sporean not increasing for the past few years.. for watever reasons.. how does one expect to earn more money? Competition wif foreigners have just gone more notches up as the govt has "gallantly" viewed them as a needed piece to the progress of Spore. The fact that FTs haf displaced qutie a number of PMETs, seems not to haf made the govt any concerned.. but the masses are.. with the simmering anger.. sometimes boiling over as more and more tussles between Sporeans and foreigners come to light.. it is quite evident that the sg citizens aren't liking what they see as "being robbed of what would be their jobs".

And couples.. and singles are also concerned that their offspring will be subjected to even more pressure and stress.. as thought the present situation, with the streaming in education and the push for higher education qualification isn't already driving some to jump off buildings.. they are worried.. that their kids.. may not be able to cope.

And they are not wrong to think so. Gone are the days of simplicity, where ppl go to work, come home and spend time wif family. Dads and Moms can be gone from home at the break of dawn.. and never be seen.. maybe heard.. and maybe on one day of the weekend.. as they both slog to earn more than enuf for themselves, and their kids.

The times are different now, kids will need computers to help them with their school work.. as internet is a MUST.. for it helps them search for info for school projects and class assignments. Laptops aren't luxury items.. but are good to have now.. as they give the kids easy access to info on the go.. whether in class, on the buss.. or in Mcdonalds or Burger King.

Kids as young as primary 4, have mobile phones now.. easy to let parents noe where they are.. and also a great item to show off to classmates. if you don't have one.. be ready to be jeered and laughed at in school. And the fact is.. mobile phones are not expensive anymore. No.. it's the way you abuse the plan that gets you. And parents are learning early, that if you don't set limits for the kids on the phone usage.. monthly bills can skyrocket to over 300 sgd per kid.

Let's not talk about food and clothing.. shoes.. and hair.. and all that. the price to keep yourself from looking tardy might not be alot.. but when you have to look after your kids.. your wife..(if she's not working).. is not a small sum.

Is it me, or is it that kids nowadays haf to learn more to "stay ahead" of the competition? Maybe it's not just the kids.. but for everyone as well. Maybe that's why more ppl are ending up in the IMH? Cos they can't keep up with the pace.. or face info overload and can't process all the data and info properly.. leading to a breakdown?

Imagine you are a parent.. would you want your kids to face stress as early as primary 3?? Streaming.. which WILL affect his future. if you think only the parent feels the strain.. think again.. kids are facing pressures from school, friends.. and PARENTS too. And that's the worrying thing for some couples.. that the would add on pressure to their kids.. either knowingly or unknowlingly.. as they push all their hopes, desires and even pressures and stress, onto their kids.. and inevitably force their own kids to be what they could not be.

I have seen kids who suffer as their parents want them to be doctors.. lawyers.. cos the parents themselves couldn't be.. and they pin this onto their kids.. without realizing that this is added pressure and strain on the kids.

I remember when as a kid.. I played.. and I laughed when I played.. nowadays.. I keep hearing kids screaming.. and shouting more than laughing.. am I the only one to hear this.. yes.. even as they play.. they are screaming and shouting.. isn't that weird?

Well, peole who I know have noticed it.. and they feel it is a sign that kids are using playing time.. as a mode of venting frustration.. venting anger that is repressed.. repressed resentment.. and more.. and this worries them.. and makes them even more convinced not to haf kids of their own..

All the above.. shows how many concerns a person has to deal with.. if they want to start a family.. now.. couple that with the fact that in SG.. where the land is LIMITED.. jobs seems to be more limited.. everything seems to be limited nowadays.. who can predict the future?

No wonder mre and mre of my relatives and friends are considering getting out of SG.. not for themselves.. but for the sake of their children.. so that they have a "larger playing field".. or else.. with SMRT trains getting mre and mre crowded.. there might not be space to even stand.. in the trains, busses.. or even along the streets.

Lau Lee says things easily.. but it is always easier said... has he realized that the year is 2012.. and not 1965 anymore? Everything costs more and food tastes worse as the prices soar and inflate.. nobody is living as one does in the 60s or 80s.. it's just not that simple anymore.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can sinkees be happy living in a pressure-cooker concentration camp and squeezed high and dry daily by the high-and-mighty PAP ?

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why "consider"? Just do it. What are you waiting for? It's not going to get any better in Singapore. It's definitely going to get a lot worse.

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?49519-Emigration-Resource-Central

Need I say it? Not all of us haf the means to actually go.. and up lorry!
If I have enuf money to go.. I won't stay either. This place is going to the foreigners.. and the foreigners will leave once they had their fill.
So.. bring up kids here? Not me.. not if you want your kids to be happy and smile and laugh and grow up SANE!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
MIW should start using the stick rather then the carrots for this problem. I suggest they start imposing fines for adults above a certain age that doesn't have a kid. banning condoms in the country could be a start as well. Like the Catholic church use of contraceptives is against GOd's will. Better yet, start deducting an additional 10% of each working Singaporean salary till they have like the 3rd or 4th kid. That should start the population skyrocketing.

meowwind

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Even if I have the money, it's not so easy to unroot and root somewhere else.
All the ties, the memories, gonna make it difficult to say byebye.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Need I say it? Not all of us haf the means to actually go.. and up lorry!
If I have enuf money to go.. I won't stay either. This place is going to the foreigners.. and the foreigners will leave once they had their fill.
So.. bring up kids here? Not me.. not if you want your kids to be happy and smile and laugh and grow up SANE!

You don't need money. 90% of all the immigrants who arrive in NZ start off with very little. Many are from 3rd world countries and their currency is pretty much worthless anyway.

All you need is the right attitude coupled with a strong desire to succeed.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Even if I have the money, it's not so easy to unroot and root somewhere else.
All the ties, the memories, gonna make it difficult to say byebye.
It's actually quite easy. You'll feel unsettled for the first few months but once you've developed a new routine and formed new networks, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Technology makes emigrating much easier nowadays. There was no skype, facetime and facebook in the good old days. We had to wait for a postcard in order to know what was going in the motherland.

Today, videochat means you can talk cock with family and friends on a daily basis FOC.

As for memories they'll always be with you unless you lose your mind. Emigrating doesn't erase your past.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a friend, who has a cousin that has been dating his girlfriend for 7 years. One time, I asked casually, "when are you 2 going to get married?". He looked at me, wide-eyed and said, "I can't even afford to pay the first month for a flat.. not even wif her help.. do u think we can get married like that?" For him.. and his gal.. the thought of staying with his parents after marriage.. is HORRENDOUS. She didn't like it.. neither did he.

He even said, "it will feel weird and uncomfortable.. with my parents around.. how am I going to get intimate with my wife??"

I agree! Every couple should have their own space.. for romance.. intimacy.. for the "making" to happen. it's gonna feel awkard wif your parent's eyes on you.. no one likes to give a free show to their parents.. would they? (Ok.. not talking about the ppl who like to expose or has exhibitionism in their blood)

Your story boh logic leh. How does your firend's cousin gets intimate now? Hotel 81 or their parents' homes? Oh wait ... they are staying chaste for the past 7 years !?
:confused:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
you need folic acid now.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_center/your_pregnancy/preg_folic_acid.html

Having a healthy baby means making sure you're healthy, too. One of the most important things you can do to help prevent serious birth defects in your baby is to get enough folic acid every day — especially before conception and during early pregnancy.

About Folic Acid
Folic acid, sometimes called folate, is a B vitamin (B9) found mostly in leafy green vegetables like kale and spinach, orange juice, and enriched grains.

Many studies have shown that women who get 400 micrograms (0.4 milligrams) daily prior to conception and during early pregnancy reduce the risk that their baby will be born with a serious neural tube defect (a birth defect involving incomplete development of the brain and spinal cord) by up to 70%.

The most common neural tube defects are:

spina bifida, an incomplete closure of the spinal cord and spinal column
anencephaly, severe underdevelopment of the brain
encephalocele, when brain tissue protrudes out to the skin from an abnormal opening in the skull
All of these defects occur during the first 28 days of pregnancy — usually before a woman even knows she's pregnant.

That's why it's so important for all women of childbearing age to get enough folic acid — not just those who are planning to become pregnant. Only 50% of pregnancies are planned, so any woman who could become pregnant should make sure she's getting enough folic acid.

Doctors and scientists still aren't completely sure why folic acid has such a profound effect on the prevention of neural tube defects, but they do know that this vitamin is crucial in the development of DNA. As a result, folic acid plays a large role in cell growth and development, as well as tissue formation.

have seen a gynaecologist