• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Do Monks Shave Their Heads?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does this mean that the northern Indians were of Aryan blood and of the highest caste? I am talking about the fair-skinned ones.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does this mean that the northern Indians were of Aryan blood and of the highest caste? I am talking about the fair-skinned ones.

Not all. The Punjabis and Sikhs aren't Aryans. However, few people outside India noticed, that the famous Ghandi family are Aryans.

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
i agree, i saw a BBC documentary about monks in the Medieval ages, how they have a huge room filled with people's offering....

and in the room, there's even a secret compartment on the floor containing their prized possession....

Wah is it?:eek: Which documentary? "TeeKee's self-script-self-act Monk Documentary" ? :biggrin:

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
i agree, i saw a BBC documentary about monks in the Medieval ages, how they have a huge room filled with people's offering....

and in the room, there's even a secret compartment on the floor containing their prized possession....

this is what happens when men abuse God to serve their own needs...

Wah is it?:eek: Your pestors told you that? :eek:
Then what about you chrikukustians asked the public to donate to build your chrikukustians church and upgrading facilities? The money got underwent any third-party auditor check? Or your pestors put the remaining into his bank? :eeek:

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
could this be the fault of men? because of their original sin?

surely there are non believers who are as destructive as believers?

Then how? Your pestors and "Goat" doing what, why never help to reduce these sins? Your pestors in your church only know how to 'prbitch' talk cock sing song loud loud only? :eek:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if really follow strictly, buddha will look like a mad man with messy hair wearing a begger shirt by our modern perceptions.

Wise observation indeed. In fact, Moses and Jesus should have looked something like that too, instead of looking like just after a visit to hair salons and designer robe clothiers as depicted by Catholics and Methodists. Jews and Muslims saw this coming, no images.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wise observation indeed. In fact, Moses and Jesus should have looked something like that too, instead of looking like just after a visit to hair salons and designer robe clothiers as depicted by Catholics and Methodists. Jews and Muslims saw this coming, no images.

Thanks Ramseth for your feedback on the fair-skinned indians.

My own feeling is that Buddha was very unlikely to look like a mad man with messy hair.

I based this opinion on two factors:

(1) a mad man with messy hair and burning eyes seems more a description of an ascetic and Buddha had moved away from that path

(2) Buddha had found his enlightenment and an enlightened man, in my own understanding, has an ordered inner life - peaceful and composed. This order in the inner life will translate into an order in the outer life. I had always pictured him as a man who lived simply, dressed simply and talked profoundly.
In the same vein, i see Jesus as one who is not concerned about the clothes he wore. A possible reason why some insisted that Jesus wore Armani is because they themselves are seeking a justification to wear fabulous clothes. Even if Jesus wore Armani given by others, he would have kept it clean, wore it again and again until it is all worn out. If he had two, he would have given one away if he sees another without clothes. He would have seen the Armani as a piece of good quality cloth. Nothing to idolize. I believed in my opinions as it balanced out with what i read and understood.

I don't think the Catholics and Methodists depict him as wearing designer robes. The designer robes theory is more the domain of the prosperity theologians (google if you are interested in their tenets).

As for the Jews and Muslims, they kept strictly to the command: Thou shalt not have any graven images before me.

Last edited:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
as said, according to our modern mentalities.

however asectic practice was common in india (even now). so in that local context, most likely he will not be viewed as mad.

In singapore context, looking at the way modern chinese monks lives, i believe if they see the real buddha, more than half will be willing to travel with him.(too comfortable in their million dollars condo)

the clothes that he took was actually from discarded death bodies. yes the clothes that was used to wrapped the dead bodies. this was how the monks obtained their clothing in the time of the buddha.

he only changed clothes once with mahakassapa.YES ONCE, ananda is the one that mend his clothes to deal with the holes from the weathering.

except his handsome features, with the rugged clothing he had, what do you think is the very first impression of someone living in our time - SIAO. even when i saw someone of 2m wearing, that walking in orchard road, i will call 999 even if he is buddha.

of course if he is in the city giving speeches. its common sense that it will not be so bad. i believe he will look simple and neat. however at times...he and his teams might be out in the forest for weeks and months for retreat....

all of us guys are ns slaves, just imagine living in brunei jungle for weeks and months.if they are lucky they are able to build a shelter, there are times, stories which i read saying they just sleep under the tree or by the roads.

how do you think they look like when they just emerge from such retreat?

of cos the balds one will look just ok not so bad(that the practical reason for being bald also). but for those monk who did not shave (mahakassapa) including buddha, lets be logical here, he is not going to look that presentable. remember he is also human.REAL buddhist view him with superior understanding of nature of things not to the extend of everything is perfect and godlike.

in the most simplified form, i can gave to describe, i will use this statement.
rugged from the weathering but walked with the air of lion.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
christians wearing branded? justifying using jesus?

ask them to go fuck spider.

pastor kong will say the money will be put to better use by donating to the church.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've heard this version. Early Buddhism had no statutes for some 300 years or so until Alexander the Great invaded India and brought along with him the Greek idea of statue worshipping.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
if its due to alexander the great or not i am not too sure. but its true that 200 to 300 years after he is gone, there was no statue of him

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
don't know its better to keep quiet honestly. don't spread wrong info

only thai certain forest tradition shaved off eyebrows. other forms of theravada buddhism do not practice that.

Buddha did not shave, he only cut his hair short, somehow, after cutting it, it did not grow anymore. its mention in the scriptures on the part where he cut off his hair and pass it to channa.

as to why shave, for practical reason to save on washing and dolling up so that you can concentrate on the so called serious issue "dukkha".

the statue why the hair curl until like that is because buddha is from india and stupid chinese think all keleng has curly hair so the statue ended up like that. esp all the statue by those keep chanting oh money bring me home, or namo oh mi tou fu.

other statue of buddha influence by greek, and those in the trade route regions does not show buddha with such curly hair, but with neatly tied up ones.

and LASTLY, the statue did not follow really according to what the scriptures says totally, except for the 32 signs of a great man. its too tidy.

if really follow strictly, buddha will look like a mad man with messy hair wearing a begger shirt by our modern perceptions.

Hi there,

Nope. My teacher is not from forest traditions and he shaved his eyebrow.

Simple as that.

Its not the Chinese fault that Buddha has curly hair. Its the Greeks. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi there,

Nope. My teacher is not from forest traditions and he shaved his eyebrow.

Simple as that.

Imagine Goh Meng Seng with shaven head and shaven brow, but with long beard and nine little red dots on his head. :biggrin:

Its not the Chinese fault that Buddha has curly hair. Its the Greeks. :wink:

Perhaps you're right. The Greek and Macedonian statues and paintings of Alexander the Great invariably featured him with ridiculously curly locks, like those of Buddha statues and paintings, except Alexander's hair was trimmed and the Buddha's hair was tied up in top knot. During those days, whether straight or curly, trimming hair was the fashion in Europe, letting hair grow and tying it up in top knot was the fashion in India and China.