• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Do Monks Shave Their Heads?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe everybody has seen one or more Buddha statues before. The Buddha is always sculptured with long curly hair tied up in top knot. Whereas the Buddha obviously had never shaved his head, why do Buddhist monks shave their heads?

Last edited:

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe everybody has seen one or more Buddha statues before. The Buddha is always sculptured with long curly hair tied up in top knot. Whereas the Buddha obviously have shaved his head, why do Buddhist monks shave their heads?

Weather too hot ??

No money buy shampoo ??

Smooth burrowing into cunts ??

Easily enlightened without hair in the way ??

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why ns must shave the heads too?
why do m&d must cut skin?
why sum guys juz simply love women shave?
why sum women dun shave and keep a forest?

为什么, 为什么, 为什么

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
My guess is hair is crowning glory. Hair styling is vanity.. so monks shave bald.:smile:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I believe everybody has seen one or more Buddha statues before. The Buddha is always sculptured with long curly hair tied up in top knot. Whereas the Buddha obviously had never shaved his head, why do Buddhist monks shave their heads?

Dear Ramseth,

Monks don't only shave their heads but also their eyebrows. It is a way to break away from the attachment to looks. Hair and eyebrows are defining features of human looks which may bring earthly attractions to opposite sex. To shave away is a way of renouncing earthly attachment.

The statues of Buddha you see everyday is not a "real" duplication of how Buddha looks like. They are more or less based on human imagination extracted from some scriptures in describing of what a "perfect features" that Buddhas have. The curly hair you seen are just a kind of expression of Buddha's wisdom, not literally the hair Buddha has.

Goh Meng Seng

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Ramseth,

Monks don't only shave their heads but also their eyebrows. It is a way to break away from the attachment to looks. Hair and eyebrows are defining features of human looks which may bring earthly attractions to opposite sex. To shave away is a way of renouncing earthly attachment.

The statues of Buddha you see everyday is not a "real" duplication of how Buddha looks like. They are more or less based on human imagination extracted from some scriptures in describing of what a "perfect features" that Buddhas have. The curly hair you seen are just a kind of expression of Buddha's wisdom, not literally the hair Buddha has.

Goh Meng Seng

Alamak. All botaks will be crying after reading your 1st para !!:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I read somewhere that when Prince Siddharta renounced, he shaved off his hair and beard. The Buddhist monks I've seen in Thailand or from Sri Lanka also never sport beards. However, my impression is that some Chinese monks, especially the more elderlies, do sport beards.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I read somewhere that when Prince Siddharta renounced, he shaved off his hair and beard. The Buddhist monks I've seen in Thailand or from Sri Lanka also never sport beards. However, my impression is that some Chinese monks, especially the more elderlies, do sport beards.

For the most primitive practice (Theravada in particular), beards are not allowed. Somehow, along the way after it was spread to other parts of the world, the rules change accordingly to suit different culture.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Good observation! Why do Chinese monks dot their foreheads, some sixes, some nines etc.? I don't see this practice in Thailand.

Dotting on their heads (not really foreheads) is a practice done only in Chinese Mahayana Buddhism. It is supposed to be a "grading" system of how high the practice of the monk is. Normally starts with 3 dots after they successfully taken a number of main precepts. increases when they were to take more precepts. A step by step basis.

Goh Meng Seng

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dotting on their heads (not really foreheads) is a practice done only in Chinese Mahayana Buddhism. It is supposed to be a "grading" system of how high the practice of the monk is. Normally starts with 3 dots after they successfully taken a number of main precepts. increases when they were to take more precepts. A step by step basis.

I see. Like army officers' bars, crests and stars.

Captain Goh can convert three bars to three dots direct entry? :biggrin:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I see. Like army stripes, bars and stars.

Captain Goh can convert to six dots direct entry? :biggrin:

LOL! Anyway, in Singapore, it is no longer practice by the Chinese Mahayana monks already. I don't know whether it is still a practice in China or not.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is part of social dynamics to be seen as different and exclusive. Its not confined to religion but cuts across all starta of society and the various functions that they perform and undertake.

A brahmin will not eat meat and is a vegetarian. If all Indians are vegetarians, they will do something else to be different maybe eat meat. The Sikh don't cut their hair to separate them from the rest. If all buddhist were bald, the monks would end end sporting long hair.

If everyone sports a tatoo, those who consider themselves marginal in society or having indentity issues will not sport a tatoo. Exclusiveness and being requires a distinct and overt display of separateness. Many of us dress in a manner to be associated with a particular group, trend or social class.

Of course, no monk or brahmin is going to say the intention is to be different. The bullshit will be something that it is something pure, altruistic, genuine and a mark of human endurance. Welcome to the world of livings things.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very insightful observation. Thanks.

You might have missed mentioning, that could well be what the halal food laws are all about, to distinguish and segregate.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course, no monk or brahmin is going to say the intention is to be different. The bullshit will be something that it is something pure, altruistic, genuine and a mark of human endurance. Welcome to the world of livings things.

There was one time I saw a few monks going to a high class furniture store, do you know what are they looking for?

Another time, I saw a monk in SGP whipping out a mobile phone after a prayer session..got business again?