• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

why do many food stall charge extra 50cent for take away

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rental is just too high so every cent counts.

How about paying 10 cents for per-paper cup when you just bought a couple of large bottle sodas

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
why do many hawker food stall charge extra 50cent for take away(ta bao) disaposable plastic bowl?
isnt it ironic?
by eating there,they have to wash 1 bowl, 1 smaller soup bowl,1 spoon,a pair of chopsticks,1 saucer for chilli
the water used and the manpower hired to wash untensil are now being saved.
Isnt they thankful that you order take away food,instead they charge you 50cent for takeaway?

does the disapsable plastic bowl really that expensive?
anyone in this line can shed some light?
Hey dude; finaLLy i have found someone who's into asking those same types' of Questions Like Fishypie used to..
..but be ready for those bLazing guns !..perhaps i'd better up you 1st; just incase you tiok cheng ..:biggrin::eek:

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Just 50cents different also kpkb . If Tuayapeh bring you all to hell then you know , chicken rice over here cost $5000 . That's why the hell note have many zeros :biggrin:

S

Seamaster

why do many hawker food stall charge extra 50cent for take away(ta bao) disaposable plastic bowl?
isnt it ironic?
by eating there,they have to wash 1 bowl, 1 smaller soup bowl,1 spoon,a pair of chopsticks,1 saucer for chilli
the water used and the manpower hired to wash untensil are now being saved.
Isnt they thankful that you order take away food,instead they charge you 50cent for takeaway?

does the disapsable plastic bowl really that expensive?
anyone in this line can shed some light?

If the stall engages a worker to wash the plates, there is already a fixed costs. The stall owner would definitely prefer customers to maximize the cost of the dishwasher. From the point of view of the stall owner, paper and plastic stuff are all variable costs that add to his operating costs.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
finally i see your point.it make sense...

If the stall engages a worker to wash the plates, there is already a fixed costs. The stall owner would definitely prefer customers to maximize the cost of the dishwasher. From the point of view of the stall owner, paper and plastic stuff are all variable costs that add to his operating costs.

S

Seamaster

got 1 hor fun stall...normal is $3.50
i request for dont want pork in my hor fun.
he say like that must $4.50
huh?i ask for less ingrident, why increase $1?
he say less pork meat,but he will put in more slice of fishes.he say fishes very expensive.
i ask then my fish slices portion remain same can or not minus the pork.he say cannot.he say item is standard.
but he say the pork i dont want later can dump 1 side,price remain as $3.50

confuse?

There is a reason. Again, it's from the point of view of the stall owner. One of the most difficult task in food business is keeping stock of perishable goods.

Each day the stall owner has to decide how much pork, fish, prawns etc. to bring in. The stall owner does his estimation based on the number of plates he sells per day. He already has a standard menu to help keep track of his demand and supply. This is a system that the stall owner maintains. You see, there is no need for 99% of his customers to do what you do to create headache for him. A mere 30% customers tweaking his menu every now and then makes his stock procurement very unpredictable.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually ykhuser has a point. If he asks for no pork, wif no increase in the fish then why must the hawker insist on putting mre fish to get the increase of SGD 1.00?

There is no logic to his claim that item is standard cos if he is a hawker, then he can and SHOULD be able to control the portions of ingredients to the customer's request. The customers who accept this weird logic is actually buying into their claim that item is standard.

If the price of pork increases to a great deal that the hawker can't include into their menus, they will replace with waht they can cos they know that the customers may not want to pay for the increase if costs are transferred all to customers.

Therefore, I always argue wif hawkers who insist that if I want to take away some ingredients cos I DON'T want it, I have to pay extra.

My retort is, "I give u less work, u should appreciate. I make u save ingredient so u can sell more to more customers, u should be thankful I don't ask u for a share of your profits."

Anways, the charge of 0.50 cents for takeaway is really up to the sellers. If you don't like it, you can always ask "if I bring my own container, do I still have to pay the 0.50 charge?" If they say, "No.", then you can screw them.

Last edited:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
taubao causes so much inconveniences
hold up the queue lah
should charge one dollar more!
some hokkien mee stalls do that!!!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
got 1 hor fun stall...normal is $3.50
i request for dont want pork in my hor fun.
he say like that must $4.50
huh?i ask for less ingrident, why increase $1?
he say less pork meat,but he will put in more slice of fishes.he say fishes very expensive.
i ask then my fish slices portion remain same can or not minus the pork.he say cannot.he say item is standard.
but he say the pork i dont want later can dump 1 side,price remain as $3.50

confuse?

You are living in sinkieland, that is what you expect.

minuteman

Alfrescian
Loyal
its happening everywhere this days..even bring own container also not spared..i saw an aunty arguing with a mee pok stallholder about why she was still charged 50 cents..rather than rant and rave in SBF, bring this up to the correct people...

Chloe

Alfrescian
Loyal
its happening everywhere this days..even bring own container also not spared..i saw an aunty arguing with a mee pok stallholder about why she was still charged 50 cents..rather than rant and rave in SBF, bring this up to the correct people...

The PAP govt is worst when it comes to consumer protection

YaoSiuKia

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey dude; finaLLy i have found someone who's into asking those same types' of Questions Like Fishypie used to..
..but be ready for those bLazing guns !..perhaps i'd better up you 1st; just incase you tiok cheng ..:biggrin::eek:

I suspect this fellow might be your clone.