• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who drinks beer with ice?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
i find this practice to be strange and curious since the mug and beer are already chilled so why the need to add ice which would dilute the brew?...also note that this practice appears peculiar to SEA and PRC...not sure about other places in Asia but i have not seen this practice in the west

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
i find this practice to be strange and curious since the mug and beer are already chilled so why the need to add ice which would dilute the brew?...also note that this practice appears peculiar to SEA and PRC...not sure about other places in Asia but i have not seen this practice in the west

Same reason why u still put ice for your Coke / Pepsi even if it is chilled. It jus taste better!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
i don't...i use to put salt which certainly made it taste even better...but now health conscious so cannot...you i find the ice invariably dilutes the taste if you do not consume the drink as soon as possible...
Same reason why u still put ice for your Coke / Pepsi even if it is chilled. It jus taste better!

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
the glass mug at the regular restaurant are not chilled, also some of the not so good drinkers want to dilute the alcohol

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find that odd too but I do notice this practice only happens to older generations of chinese. The funny part is most coffee shops when u order a bottle of beer they put a bucket of ice with the beer. When I cas in China for my holiday I notice that they add 7up/coke when they drink red wine. I asked the tour guide why is that so and the reply was Siap Siap ( not sure what that means )

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually i don't think it makes much of a difference whether the mug is chilled or not, that is just an appearance effect...i use to especially enjoy seeing this at A&W when they used chilled glass mugs to serve its famous rootbeer and rootbear floats...not to mention the cold feeling effect...however for the cold taste effect, the liquid itself needs to be properly chilled before hand...i do agree with you on the dilution of alcohol, however i would have hardly thought it necessary when it comes to beer which is quite 'soft'...now hard liquor like whiskey yes...
the glass mug at the regular restaurant are not chilled, also some of the not so good drinkers want to dilute the alcohol

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
quite common even in thailand and vietnam, that is when it comes to beer...never heard of mixing wine like that though...beer mixer on the otherhand quite common in the west, drink is called 'shandy'...beer mixed with 7-up
I find that odd too but I do notice this practice only happens to older generations of chinese. The funny part is most coffee shops when u order a bottle of beer they put a bucket of ice with the beer. When I cas in China for my holiday I notice that they add 7up/coke when they drink red wine. I asked the tour guide why is that so and the reply was Siap Siap ( not sure what that means )

AddinMedia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suppose it has it's root in the old days where we don't have a fridge to begin with. Remember we use to buy "ice":rolleyes: to cool down the beverages and beer needs to drink it cool. And that's why it stick till now because of the habit.

Secondly, for newbie, ice do dilute the bitterness.

Btw, I came across a Swedes who do drink beer with ice, and that is weird.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if it's my last bottle in the fridge, it's summer, and i can't haul my lazy arse to drive 1 mile to get a new 6-pack.

why do i squeeze a slice of lime into a bottle of beer?

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
in the humid and warm climate, cold beer is always nice. but what's the optimum temperature for cold beers? remember a german friend told me - beer should not be served below 0C, as the fruit fragance, malt tastes, could not be noticed, and would have merely the bitter taste, perhaps with some spices taste if they exist. beer is better to be served below 12C but above 6C for ales, and 4-6C for lager. here, mostly beer are poured into our stomach without the appreciation of its texture, taste, fragrance and smell. our stomach work well on digesting food/frink at body temperature. drinking too much ice or cold beer would affect their function.

AddinMedia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, temperature control is crucial. Lot's of people don't realise that fementation process is still ongoing and when they left their beer outside or store for too long, it get screwed. I have been treated with can beers that have been kept for years, taste like vinegar.:(

Btw, bottle beer seems to taste better that can beer.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Beer On The Rocks started from long time ago when our grandfathers didn't have fridge.
I don't know what it was like in Europe and North America before refrigeration was available.

Probably in the early early days, beer wasn't even carbonated, even if fermentation caused co2 buildup, I doubt if ppl could contain it effectively. Technology changes social habits.

Cheers!

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i find this practice to be strange and curious since the mug and beer are already chilled so why the need to add ice which would dilute the brew?...
me! ...

if u drink oni a glass, ok la if glass is chilled ...

but if u hv a jug, u may take time 2 finis it ... it bcums warm very fast ... me prefer it chilled ...

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
The colder the beer is...the better it taste....beer should be served close to zero degree so the next best thing u can do is to add ice

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ice beer
The process of icing beer involves bringing the temperature of a batch of beer down to or below the freezing point of water (32°F or 0°C), the greatest constituent of beer. Because water freezes at a higher temperature than does alcohol, the frozen portion of the mixture contains a higher concentration of water, and the liquid remaining therefore has a higher concentration of alcohol. Because of this, a layer of ice can be skimmed from the surface of beer (hence the name "ice" beer). This creates a concoction with a higher volume ratio of alcohol to water and therefore creating a beer with a higher alcohol content by volume. The process is known as "fractional freezing".

The first ice beer marketed in North America was Molson Ice [1] which was introduced in April 1993, although the process was patented earlier by Labatt, instigating the so-called "Ice Beer Wars" of the 1990s. [2]

In the USA Miller introduced Icehouse under the Plank Road Brewery brand name at that time, which is still sold nationwide; Budweiser introduced "Bud Ice" (5.5% ABV) in 1994 and it remains one of the country's top-selling ice beers, Bud Ice has a slightly lower alcohol content than Natural Ice and other competitors and it claims it retains more of the character/flavor.

Many lower-end beers such as Busch Ice (5.9% ABV) and Natural Ice (5.9% ABV) also use the freezing process.

Beer On The Rocks started from long time ago when our grandfathers didn't have fridge.
I don't know what it was like in Europe and North America before refrigeration was available.

Probably in the early early days, beer wasn't even carbonated, even if fermentation caused co2 buildup, I doubt if ppl could contain it effectively. Technology changes social habits.

Cheers!