• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Which one more siong - NS Mata or NS army?

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course, army and police unarmed combat trainings are not subjected to exams or gradings. It's just going through the motions of training you with some skills, and if just in case something happened to you while you're on duly, your family can't blame them for not training you. Nobody take it seriously.

Makes sense. But thinking back, since already stuck 2.5yrs inside, might as well enjoy and play along. But the knuckle push ups and stretching in parade square were really tough though. :biggrin:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
We can't really follow your granddad's style as he was a trained inch-punch boxer with punch weightage enough to crush a sugar cane with bare fist.

this one is really older batch of martial artists, many of them are full time gangster then, and training up in such area is a must as fights are too common. remind me of my shigong in his 50s now.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Makes sense. But thinking back, since already stuck 2.5yrs inside, might as well enjoy and play along. But the knuckle push ups and stretching in parade square were really tough though. :biggrin:

Yes, just have to go through it. Who ask we have NS enlistment? National grand daddy. He always like to threaten people with knuckledusters but he wnet to Parliament as scheduled it as offensive weapon, i.e. if public use it, police can open fire. If he use it, it's alright. Knuckle push-up is something tough until you try police finger push-up. It's to train the finger strength and reflex for immediate and direct triggering without the delay of cocking the firing hammer.

Last edited:

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knuckle push-up is something tough until you try police finger push-up. It's to train the finger strength and reflex for immediate and direct triggering without the delay of cocking the firing hammer.

On finger push-up, I was watching National Geographic channel documentary a few days ago on Chinese KungFu in China. Only one master monk held the world record for one finger push-up, but he passed away already. Since then, no one could do that. You can't be kidding rite? All pistol-wielding police have to go through this finger-push ups? Wah liow...this is no joke...The mere thought of doing it is enough to make me shudder machiam the fingers might break anytime.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NS is physically Siong but if you happened to get switch-off vocation that becomes a breeze. Police is emotionally Siong because when some accidents took place, they must be at the scene to "help out" thus not for the faint hearted. Besides, you also must learn to confront Ah Beng 10 times your size or rude unreasonable civilians during your duty.

Given a choice, NS is still the best. My ICT was like hiking, campfire, sometime go pluck rambutan or durian but most the time is..."waiting" for the sunrise or sunset and during which a lot of time were spend talking-cock with your army mates about civilian lives as a form of catching up with each other. I still miss my dog-biscuit..hehehe. Does poodle have same kind of dog biscuit as the army one?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On finger push-up, I was watching National Geographic channel documentary a few days ago on Chinese KungFu in China. Only one master monk held the world record for one finger push-up, but he passed away already. Since then, no one could do that. You can't be kidding rite? All pistol-wielding police have to go through this finger-push ups? Wah liow...this is no joke...The mere thought of doing it is enough to make me shudder machiam the fingers might break anytime.

Police finger push-up is 3-finger - to train thumb and middle for the grip and index for the trigger. One finger? No thanks. I'd rather report sick and seek downgrade.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In fact, I feel that JD, TKW, karate, police or army teach you how *not* to fight. Streetfighting is still the best and most effective. I remember I saw with my own eyes when my 5 foot-half father grounded a 6-foot singh taxi driver over disagreement on taxi fare, and it took three uncles to pull him off to prevent accidental manslaughter. I was kindergarten age. Got scolded by my father, never seen fighting before is it? Don't know how to fight is it? Lesson learned. Learn how to fight.

i never say "fight", i only say deal the situation in the event of facing an armed enemy with ones bare hands.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
trust me, its rubbish.

this is coming from someone who send 2 pple to hospital b4.

i know it rubbish but i have no problem with the actual unarmed combat lesson, i only cannot tahan kenna tekan during the "warm up" excerise. Especially it a battlion level training where there will be HQ coy choobohlans together with us troopers. Those farking ah gua signallers, cooks, drivers etc etc... all cannot shout or try to wayang, then instructors not happy and "sumula" every stretching excerises. in the first few lessons, the warm up took up 3/4 of the training time allocated.

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was not referring to Gurkhas using IPPT as standard. I was referring to regular Police and MINDEF. The Gurkhas also train the senior police officers for about 1 month during their 9 months training. That is to prepare the SO for hiking in nepal.

Yes, a small Police Provost Unit and DB in old PA. New HA TraCom, I'm not sure.

Gurkhas don't use Singapore IPPT as standard of physical fitness measurement. They use Nepal hill and jungle standard. 2.4 klic is a joke to them. They did train in old PA too for those who first came to Singapore before posting out to Vernon or Changi. But they were already incredulously fit by the the time they arrived, after passing British Army hill and jungle trainings and exams in Nepal. It's just a police conversion course. Now with new HA TraCom, I'm not sure how's the arrangement too. Gurkhas in Singapore are basically soldiers posted to police duties.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NS is physically Siong but if you happened to get switch-off vocation that becomes a breeze. Police is emotionally Siong because when some accidents took place, they must be at the scene to "help out" thus not for the faint hearted. Besides, you also must learn to confront Ah Beng 10 times your size or rude unreasonable civilians during your duty.

Given a choice, NS is still the best. My ICT was like hiking, campfire, sometime go pluck rambutan or durian but most the time is..."waiting" for the sunrise or sunset and during which a lot of time were spend talking-cock with your army mates about civilian lives as a form of catching up with each other. I still miss my dog-biscuit..hehehe. Does poodle have same kind of dog biscuit as the army one?

Your assessment is well balanced. Ironically, what you call poodle doesn't have dog biscuit. I've tried it when I visited an army camp though. Good hard biscuit, just nice to dip in tea (or coffee or Milo) cause it won't get too soft soggy like common biscuit. There's no jungle training or combat ration for police. But we had our fun too in old PA. The CO planted durian, jackfruit, mango and jambu. Incredible, that's the CO's job, so free that he had all the time in the world for gardening and planting. Sometimes in a good mood, he'd allow the FIs to take us recruits on a round to pluck and eat for afternoon tea break.

Sometimes at night, some of us would go and steal somes fruits for supper, especially when we managed to smuggle in some beer. Another thing is no duty-free beer, not even any beer, in police canteen or mess. That's one thing army guys enjoy. Yeah, police academy commanding officer, planting trees. Police recruit training, stealing fruit and smuggling beer. :biggrin: There're more tales to tell...:eek:

Last edited:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
i never say "fight", i only say deal the situation in the event of facing an armed enemy with ones bare hands.

trust me, in such situation its better to just run. i dare anyone who say he is good in knife disarmed to test his technique on me. i will be holding a marker, dun worry.

i know frens from judo, etc u name it when i was younger. we have done this experiment a few times. our conclusion, if a person is armed with just a knife, its not worth the risk to disarm him if he really has the intention to hurt u.

most of the time yes u manage to disarm him, then reality check. we get to see tons of marker line across the neck, and stomach of the unarmed person. maybe this give u a hint if all these technique will work in real life or not.

KoalaJack

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another difference, police learns baton combat while soldier learns bayonet combat. Police is trained on M16 too but never with bayonet. I also believe police and army unarmed combat are of different versions for different duties. Army MP version should be closer to that of police since their duties are closer.

A fully euipped and armed police is at most equivalent to a solider with SBO. There's no such thing as FBO or jungle training for police.

for starters, those guys in green, during Jack's time, carry 2 kgs of water. and the boots, the helmet, the 6-8 loaded mags in the SBO pouches...and the standard rifle. good thing theres no FBO for matas. its hell running around in the jungle in full gear...the pushups and jumping jacks in FBO is a back-breaker. cheers

KoalaJack

Alfrescian
Loyal
many in jack's time are worried sick of being posted to the army and esp combat units. police posting is like heaven-sent. just staying in camp for the first 3 weeks and then the 'only weekend bookout' is a killer....