• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Where to buy decorative paintings?

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've got difficulty finding these shops/galleries and the three that I went to are either too expensive, have limited selection or the paintings are of poor quality.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not an art collector, but if I were, and Van Gogh is beyond my budget, I'd visit art galleries/shows/exhitions featuring unknown/upcoming local artists and see what appeals to me.

Cheers!

Lian9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro....i am not sure in Singapore, but you are able to get nice oil paintings in Bali, BKK and Shenzhen...
I guess in terms of quality, go for Bali or BKK....

Happy hunting...

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you happen to travel there, there are a lot of classically-trained modern artists in Vietnam and Beijing. A few have made a big name of themselves in the auction scene in the last few years. But there are many more who are up-&-coming and still cheap.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It also depends what type or genre of paintings you want. Oil paintings? Water paintings? Original works? Reproductions? Scenery? People? Abstract?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rogue Trader said:
If you happen to travel there, there are a lot of classically-trained modern artists in Vietnam and Beijing. A few have made a big name of themselves in the auction scene in the last few years. But there are many more who are up-&-coming and still cheap.

Vietnam artists have a good fusion of western and eastern art traditions. My guess is Vietnam is where the next pot of gold is.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are also erotic paintings. Great decoration and conversation piece for guests.

x-shun11.jpg

img_675723_27791030_1

mk009.jpg

Leda__boucher_.jpg

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know there are good painters in these Asia countries and I have seen some of their works here but unfortunately, they are very expensive. Problem is that I am not art collector, dunno their true value and I only want some decent paintings for decorative purpose. Saw some of these stuff in Ode to Art in Citihall.
There was even a shop in Jalan Besar which are selling mass produced Chinese paintings and sculptures for hundreds of dollars and I know these stuff are selling for less than one hundred in China.
If really cannot find here, then lan lan had to wait till the next travel trip to buy liao.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vietnam artists have a good fusion of western and eastern art traditions. My guess is Vietnam is where the next pot of gold is.

The boom for Vietnamese artists have already happened before 2008. It was after the Beijing artist craze. With the recession, I'm not sure where the auction market is now.

The art market is about the same as any commodity market. All it takes to create a hype is good review and industry media exposure... Buy, hold for a few years, wait for the artist to hold a personal exhibition in NY/Europe/HK/Shanghai (or die) and then sell it for triple the price..

That said, Beijing and vietnam (HMC city) are historical cultural centers where there is a thriving art industry for young artists.

But for small time buyers like us, just choose something that looks nice in your living room enough liao.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I've got difficulty finding these shops/galleries and the three that I went to are either too expensive, have limited selection or the paintings are of poor quality.

Vietnam, at Hoi An. Tonnes of painting there. I'll be there next Tuesday. Need me to snap any pictures?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rogue Trader said:
The boom for Vietnamese artists have already happened before 2008. It was after the Beijing artist craze.

But for small time buyers like us, just choose something that looks nice in your living room enough liao.

I guess it is like investing in venture stocks. Buy if you think it has potential. Some will make it, others will not. But as you say, if it looks nice, it is good enough and you did not spend a bomb.