• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

when is a good time to visit Beijing?

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi,all,when is a good time to visit beijing? thinking of going over in April,shld i backpack or join group tour?thks

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, depends on what you want to do in BJ and how far you want to venture out of the city limits. And how many days you want to spend there.

But you'd be short changed on the experience if you join group tour, in that you will not get to see a lot of things even if you visited a particular site. They just rush rush.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, depends on what you want to do in BJ and how far you want to venture out of the city limits. And how many days you want to spend there.

But you'd be short changed on the experience if you join group tour, in that you will not get to see a lot of things even if you visited a particular site. They just rush rush.

1 week enough?visit great wall priority.

darememore

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi,all,when is a good time to visit beijing? thinking of going over in April,shld i backpack or join group tour?thks

In terms of weather, Sept, Oct and Nov will be the best time, however, if you dont mind the cold, Dec and Jan will be different with everything being covered with snow.. Join a tour group if you are the first time visiting there. Take a train to Tianjin and you will see how much they are ahead of us..350km p.h.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In terms of weather, Sept, Oct and Nov will be the best time, however, if you dont mind the cold, Dec and Jan will be different with everything being covered with snow.. Join a tour group if you are the first time visiting there. Take a train to Tianjin and you will see how much they are ahead of us..350km p.h.

thks, are you referring to the maglev train?

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am referring to sight seeing and poetry making-clean fun. hope you are not referring to other enjoyable stuffs.:biggrin:

Yes, I meant clean fun too. The Western part has better natural sights, more delicious food, cheaper shopping and people who are generally better brought up that the Bejingners.

Overall, it is so much cheaper than congested and polluted Beijing. I have travelled to different parts of China for work many times, I can tell you Beijing is one of the worst places to visit in China.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
One week not enough.

Great wall two spots, the usual low difficulty one at Batalin, another one at Mutianyu (takes one thousand steps up hill then you reach the great wall) very scenetic, can even listen to the wind.

Summer palace, one day.

Forbidden city (make sure you enter from tian an men enterance and walk back, if you enter from rear, the sight is different and sun gets in your eyes in the morning) and tiananmen square; total one day

Xiang San (fragrant hill, can see red leaves in Oct) , take cable car up and see whole of Beijing skyline. 3/4 day.

Ming tombs, one day because there are afew tombs, plus the entrance/ passage way to all the tombs. There is one main one, the rest are not really fully opened. The main one, you can go underground, 5 levels down and see the way the coffins are laid, and enjoy the garden at ground level. Nice and quite. Then go back to the passage way with all the stone figures (passage to the good 'fengshui' burial grounds'.

Hou Hai, like clark/boat quay, visit at night, pubs and eatries. Must visit the small lanes very nice gift shops at night.

BuxingJie. Shopping district near tianan men, can go after visit to tian an men. Go BuxingJie to eat dinner and rest.

Yue tan, Tian tan, Ri Tan in city, one day among them.

There are also many surrounding sites around the city, like the sliver pagoda, the thousand bamboo forest, caves etc. Different difficulty level.

Four star hotel cost you about rmb300 to 400, corporate rate. No corporate rate, rmb700 to 800 (cut throat)

Transportation to great wall plus toll included, about rmb 400 to 500, depending on type of vehicle and number of ppl.

GuwanChen, (antiques sales city), 1/4 day to 1/2 day in city.

If at tiananMen, if you go visit museum, another one day.

If you also visit military museum, another half day.

Many more, but I sleepy liao. If you got question, please ask and I help answer if I can.

Thus, far all duration quoted are quite rush one. Ming tomes are nice tranquil places to be enjoyed.

March and early april good time. But late April and May is Spring time. So if you go in April many not see any nice flowers. But if you go during spring, there are alot of pollens flying around and your skin will feel very dusty like minute cotton sticking to your body hair.

Meals not a problem, alot of Macs and KFC, etc.

Sichuan, the nine gougres and yellow dragon river is very nice. But not very credit card friendly. But very nice, very very nice. The multi colour lake, I feel like I want to go again,...sob sob....memories.....aarrhh....

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thanks bro!:smile:

One week not enough.

Great wall two spots, the usual low difficulty one at Batalin, another one at Mutianyu (takes one thousand steps up hill then you reach the great wall) very scenetic, can even listen to the wind.

Summer palace, one day.

Forbidden city (make sure you enter from tian an men enterance and walk back, if you enter from rear, the sight is different and sun gets in your eyes in the morning) and tiananmen square; total one day

Xiang San (fragrant hill, can see red leaves in Oct) , take cable car up and see whole of Beijing skyline. 3/4 day.

Ming tombs, one day because there are afew tombs, plus the entrance/ passage way to all the tombs. There is one main one, the rest are not really fully opened. The main one, you can go underground, 5 levels down and see the way the coffins are laid, and enjoy the garden at ground level. Nice and quite. Then go back to the passage way with all the stone figures (passage to the good 'fengshui' burial grounds'.

Hou Hai, like clark/boat quay, visit at night, pubs and eatries. Must visit the small lanes very nice gift shops at night.

BuxingJie. Shopping district near tianan men, can go after visit to tian an men. Go BuxingJie to eat dinner and rest.

Yue tan, Tian tan, Ri Tan in city, one day among them.

There are also many surrounding sites around the city, like the sliver pagoda, the thousand bamboo forest, caves etc. Different difficulty level.

Four star hotel cost you about rmb300 to 400, corporate rate. No corporate rate, rmb700 to 800 (cut throat)

Transportation to great wall plus toll included, about rmb 400 to 500, depending on type of vehicle and number of ppl.

GuwanChen, (antiques sales city), 1/4 day to 1/2 day in city.

If at tiananMen, if you go visit museum, another one day.

If you also visit military museum, another half day.

Many more, but I sleepy liao. If you got question, please ask and I help answer if I can.

Thus, far all duration quoted are quite rush one. Ming tomes are nice tranquil places to be enjoyed.

March and early april good time. But late April and May is Spring time. So if you go in April many not see any nice flowers. But if you go during spring, there are alot of pollens flying around and your skin will feel very dusty like minute cotton sticking to your body hair.

Meals not a problem, alot of Macs and KFC, etc.

Sichuan, the nine gougres and yellow dragon river is very nice. But not very credit card friendly. But very nice, very very nice. The multi colour lake, I feel like I want to go again,...sob sob....memories.....aarrhh....

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw, old beijing ppl are nice and cultured. Also, not forgetting the old bejing steamboat, soup boiled with pigs bone marrow. The soup is white, no milk added. Pure and clear taste. The dishes are also very plain not msg etc. But you must know where to go lah. Most fake one.

Also try the bbq lamb at YuMianKuan. Peking duck at DuckKing (YaWang) near WangFuJin, just after World Trade Ctr near Banana disco, Scitech.

I really got to sleep....zzzzzzzzzzz

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal

tour there around 2007 november very cold but nice
climb great wall even got a medal that engrave ur name.
shld give it a try.

cheers

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
In case I forget bro, try the teochew resturant at Houhai, next to main road one. Try the deep fried fish, infact all dishes quite good.
Also go QuiJie (Ghost Street), 24 hrs, all cab drivers and KtV girls go there after work, all the zombies after dark, thats Y call that name.

Should also try the cakes along the streets...

Oh ya, near LiangMaHe there is a Korean area, with North Korean Hotel, unique food, Very very very pretty waitress, and who can sing F*cking well, all strictly selected and trained, top notch.

You can also go to nearby towns to really see the lifestyle.

Also the west side are the old diplomats houses. The radio station. The university area, see mei mei and arts gallery warehouse also.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1k cash enough?

In case I forget bro, try the teochew resturant at Houhai, next to main road one. Try the deep fried fish, infact all dishes quite good.
Also go QuiJie (Ghost Street), 24 hrs, all cab drivers and KtV girls go there after work, all the zombies after dark, thats Y call that name.

Should also try the cakes along the streets...

Oh ya, near LiangMaHe there is a Korean area, with North Korean Hotel, unique food, Very very very pretty waitress, and who can sing F*cking well, all strictly selected and trained, top notch.

You can also go to nearby towns to really see the lifestyle.

Also the west side are the old diplomats houses. The radio station. The university area, see mei mei and arts gallery warehouse also.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have made many netfriends from China over the years.
Most of them are well educated and can chat with me in
English. And if i am to travel to China, they will be there
for me. So far, I have played host to 3 netfriends already.
Come January, another netfriend from Shanghai will be coming.
She told me she will be here for a 3 days meeting, but decided
to come early for leisure first. They are all first time visitors.
It's good to make friends all over the world.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when there is no dust storm
when it is not too cold
you are going there to pray to ming emperor?