• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

what they do to the unsold food ??

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal
few days ago, I passed by a BreadTalk outlet at about 10.30pm... was very surprised to see the staff taking the unsold buns/cakes and put into a thrash bag !!

just curious , do they throw away ??

I definetely see the staff put (or rather throw) all into a black colour thrash bag. Isn't it a waste ??

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
They throw everything away instead of selling off at 50% off .

To discourage Singaporeans from breeding a mentality
of coming during discount days or closing time .

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
few days ago, I passed by a BreadTalk outlet at about 10.30pm... was very surprised to see the staff taking the unsold buns/cakes and put into a thrash bag !!

I definetely see the staff put (or rather throw) all into a black colour thrash bag. Isn't it a waste ??
Most bread shops have cheap sales around 9.00pm

Breadtalk supposed to send them to charity organisations,or so the CEO,Philips Quek claimed before.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
They throw everything away instead of selling off at 50% off .

To discourage Singaporeans from breeding a mentality
of coming during discount days or closing time .

If they throw away those bread, that's pretty fucked up. But anyway the bread is crap, and selling at ridiculous price.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

Better than seeing Indian rojak sellers closing stall packing unsold rojak cakes in shopping bags and returning to open stall next day with the same and more shopping bags. Or Chinese duck rice sellers closing stall with ten ducks on cabinet display and opening stall next day with twenty.

Unsold cooked food must be discarded and not kept overnight for resale tomorrow. It's different from raw food stored in the fridge. I think there's a law about this. Discarding unsold cooked food is not a waste. Over-estimating sales and preparing more than could be sold is the waste.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you enforce it ? Lip service everyone can offer .

I heard in US, food inspectors make random but very frequent checks on eateries, restaurants, grocers and supermarkets. In Singapore, I don't know. Anyway, we can only take care of ourselves. I usually take notice of stalls at opening and closing times. Those that close with lots of food left and open next day with lots of food to start with, I don't trust.

At opening time, stalls that tell me, sorry, food not yet cooked, please come back half an hour later, those can be trusted. At closing time, stalls that me, sorry, food sold out, those can be trusted on next visit. For 24-hour stalls, trust only cook-to-order stalls, not those with cooked food on cabinet display. McDonald's is alright though, if you don't mind fast food.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
you should go tekong in the morning see how much bread was being thrown into the dustbin for morning breadfast

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
throw away food?
yes this is the same throughout the world

convenience + quality of food = waste of food, no two ways about it.

this is modern world all about.
dun like it, go back to stone age/bronze age, iron age, middle age.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This thread is self-contraditory. Why would people want to buy overnight food? If being sold overnight, would anyone like it in the name of not wasting food? Last hour discount is common from US to Singapore and around the world wherever certain standard of food hygiene is observed, if not enforced. Selling or even giving away free as animal feed in countries with animal farms is also common. In the 70s and earlier, Singapore had that too. But now what? Of course throw away, export stale leftovers as animal feed to other countries? The freight would cost a bomb.

jw5

Loyal
Don't see anything wrong in giving unsold food to people who want it.
Many people also buy food and eat it the next day for breakfast or lunch, usually after refrigeration and microwaving.
There are also those who cook too much and eat the leftover food for a few days.

The issue is whether the food retailers or other organizations are willing to organize services to pick up such food and distribute them. The fact is most don't because there is no monetary benefit.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many people also buy food and eat it the next day for breakfast or lunch, usually after refrigeration and microwaving.
There are also those who cook too much and eat the leftover food for a few days.

The issue is whether the food retailers or other organizations are willing to organize services to pick up such food and dsitribute them. The fact is that they don't because there is no monetary benefit.

They can always donate such makan to the orphanages, old folks home etc. Residents there would be more appreciative. Yes, you are right - no $ to be made from such a gesture. Worse, must spend money to deliver the leftovers.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue is whether the food retailers or other organizations are willing to organize services to pick up such food and distribute them. The fact is most don't because there is no monetary benefit.

I think this is the issue. The leftover quantity fluctuates according to the day's sales and it's hard to predict how many will be leftover the following day. Even if that someone or organisation wants to recycle the leftovers, they are not assured of a sizable quantity to justify the cost of ensuring regular collection from all outlets everyday. This is made worse with petrol cost keeps climbing and public transport cost shoots up every now and then. In the end the bakery may just save the trouble and throw away the leftovers. To prevent wastage, they can continue with 50% off for all items 1 hr from close shop time. And staff can bring back unsold items to feed their families. For me, BREADTALK is darn expensive, I have not stepped in there long time liow. If they are willing to sell cheaper in the first place, maybe there is no leftover problem to handle :biggrin:

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
I think this is the issue. The leftover quantity fluctuates according to the day's sales and it's hard to predict how many will be leftover the following day. Even if that someone or organisation wants to recycle the leftovers, they are not assured of a sizable quantity to justify the cost of ensuring regular collection from all outlets everyday. This is made worse with petrol cost keeps climbing and public transport cost shoots up every now and then. In the end the bakery may just save the trouble and throw away the leftovers. To prevent wastage, they can continue with 50% off for all items 1 hr from close shop time. And staff can bring back unsold items to feed their families. For me, BREADTALK is darn expensive, I have not stepped in there long time liow. If they are willing to sell cheaper in the first place, maybe there is no leftover problem to handle :biggrin:
Of course, they could and should continue with the closing time discount policy and give to the staff to reduce wastage.
But what is still lacking is some organization to get all these leftovers from many bakeries or food outlets and distribute them.
You're right that for a bakery with only one retail shop to do this will be really expensive and inefficient.
But food retailers with many outlets or some organizations can collect from many different retailers and distribute it efficiently.

The problem is the materialistic culture in SG that has been cultivated over the years. Nobody does anything if there is no monetary benefit.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem is the materialistic culture in SG that has been cultivated over the years. Nobody does anything if there is no monetary benefit.

People should be allowed and respected to throw away what they own. If anyone thinks it's a waste, go and tender an offer to buy the unwanted load. I'm not into moralising and self-righteousness. As long as you own it, you can decide what to do with it. In food business, discounting at the last hour is about as far as it could go. If it's known to be free after the last hour, your business would collapse. Everybody would came past the last hour. If it's known to be kept overnight, your business would be affected also, you'd command a lower price and lower clientele.

If the charitable organisations are willing to collect, that's fine. But try calling them and most of them would ask you to deliver yourself. Even donating old furnitures, Salvation Army rejects unless it's in resaleable condition, not just useable. Such are facts of life.

Last edited:

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually it's known that Food from the Heart had approached Breadtalk but was rejected.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of course, they could and should continue with the closing time discount policy and give to the staff to reduce wastage.
But what is still lacking is some organization to get all these leftovers from many bakeries or food outlets and distribute them.
You're right that for a bakery with only one retail shop to do this will be really expensive and inefficient.
But food retailers with many outlets or some organizations can collect from many different retailers and distribute it efficiently.

Another reason why some of these outlets are not keen to have their leftovers despatched to the less fortunate is the risk of food poisoning or health related issues wrt the food sent. What if the residents consume the food the next day and fall ill? Who's responsible?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another reason why some of these outlets are not keen to have their leftovers despatched to the less fortunate is the risk of food poisoning or health related issues wrt the food sent. What if the residents consume the food the next day and fall ill? Who's responsible?

Yes, give away food free is also responsible for food poisoning. So all those who make noise about wasting food, please be awaken by your own noise. Past expiry, throw away. If you think it's a waste, go buy it and eat it yourself. Food sustains life, yes. But food by itself is not as sacred as life. Expired food shortens life. Don't waste food and risk your life?

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If I remember correctly, there was once an Ang Mo Lady in SG that went around to these places to collect unsold bread and then distributed it to the needy.

Wonder if she is still in SG or even still alive. These are the kinds of FT we need.