• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What Have They Learnt?

jw5

Loyal
I'm not ranting against elderly people nor is it one particular incident, but I frequently wonder what some elderly people have learnt in their lives.

Not saying that they have to be life or world changing scientists, doctors or economists, or that they have to give birth to such life changing people, but should they at least have learnt that they need to co-exist with other people in this world?

Just 2 examples at supermarkets.
This elderly woman was waiting at the checkout counter with a younger man, possibly her son. For some reason, she decided to stand behind and not beside him. She looked and sounded perfectly fine, no dementia or mental illness. After I said "excuse me" a few times, she finally moved a tinny step forward, still standing behind the man, until he had to gently tug her to stand beside him and I could pass.

Another example was an elderly man talking to his wife and both were blocking the supermarket aisle. After I said "excuse me" a few times and walked past, he stared at me as if I had stolen his money. And again, he looked and sounded perfectly sane and lucid.

Last edited:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro jw5,

i go agree with u on this.. cos seen this many times..

i do hope when i grow old, i will not commit the same mistakes..:biggrin:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wud u like 2 say excuse me 2 ...

sum elderly chaps who happens 2 b collecting million $ salaries? ... u tink dey wil mov? ... :confused:

Royston46

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro jw5,

Play more mahjong, it keeps the mind alert, doctor's advice, ok?

:biggrin:

I simply love mahjong! Good cards or bad luck, I still like to feel those sexy mahjong tiles, especially when I zhi mo!

:biggrin:

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
don't think it's only the elderly pple, some pple just think others owe them a living. If you want to categorise, parents with prams, breastfeeding moms, students, couples ..... etc. In one way or another, it's the attitude... they just think everyone owes them a way/right, maybe for some, it's just overhyped.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I'm not ranting against elderly people nor is it one particular incident, but I frequently wonder what some elderly people have learnt in their lives.

bro,

do not fault these elderly folks. they may look normal and sane, their mental faculties may be actually degenerating, their capacity for logical reasoning diminishing and their response time is time-lagged.

jw5

Loyal
bro,

do not fault these elderly folks. they may look normal and sane, their mental faculties may be actually degenerating, their capacity for logical reasoning diminishing and their response time is time-lagged.
These cases were definitely not in degeneration because I could hear their perfectly lucid conversation with their companion.
More socially inept rather than mentally incapable.

jw5

Loyal
bro jw5,

Bro
I don't think you will because at least you are already showing self awareness now.
I just don't understand what some of these people have learnt in their 70 or 80 years on earth. Not expecting them to do earth changing or world improving things, but at least to be able to co-exist with others and show some courtesy and etiquette in public places. Does it mean that all they know in all these years is to eat, shit, fuck, give birth, work, sleep and buy lottery?

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro
I don't think you will because at least you are already showing self awareness now.
I just don't understand what some of these people have learnt in their 70 or 80 years on earth. Not expecting them to do earth changing or world improving things, but at least to be able to co-exist with others and show some courtesy and etiquette in public places. Does it mean that all they know in all these years is to eat, shit, fuck, give birth, work, sleep and buy lottery?

i also remember an old elderly lady that board bus 74 every morning. the whole bus was bloody packed during that period. almost everyone who stand near the exit was going to get down on the next stop.

she will bloody use her bag, umbralla etc to force her way out so that she would be the first one to alight every morning.

i endure it......for few moths, till one bloody morning she did the same and i bloody stood there motionlessly and stared at her.

"you brainless or what, you should know the bus is packed, and almost half of us getting down at this stop. is there a need to push?"

and this time round, she just waited patiently.

it felt really good man to give her a piece of my mind after so many months.

respect for the elderly? yes i believe in this. but i too believe its a 2 ways thing.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
These cases were definitely not in degeneration because I could hear their perfectly lucid conversation with their companion.
More socially inept rather than mentally incapable.

ah... the socially inept... true to a certain extend, then i supposed it's not restricted to the elderly folks then... take a look at the highway and one can see tonnes of drivers hogging the 1st and 2nd lanes...

jw5

Loyal
i also remember an old elderly lady that board bus 74 every morning. the whole bus was bloody packed during that period. almost everyone who stand near the exit was going to get down on the next stop.

she will bloody use her bag, umbralla etc to force her way out so that she would be the first one to alight every morning.

i endure it......for few moths, till one bloody morning she did the same and i bloody stood there motionlessly and stared at her.

"you brainless or what, you should know the bus is packed, and almost half of us getting down at this stop. is there a need to push?"

and this time round, she just waited patiently.

it felt really good man to give her a piece of my mind after so many months.

respect for the elderly? yes i believe in this. but i too believe its a 2 ways thing.
Well done bro.
Some of these elderly folk are neither ignorant nor unedcuated, they are simply too used to getting their own way and think the world owes them a living.
I'm not adviocating bullying them, but we can't allow them to behave like kings and queens. I bet you they are the same people who become meek as mice when the ministers walk by.

jw5

Loyal
ah... the socially inept... true to a certain extend, then i supposed it's not restricted to the elderly folks then... take a look at the highway and one can see tonnes of drivers hogging the 1st and 2nd lanes...
Oh of course, bro, these socially inept folks come in all shapes and sizes, all races and nationalities, all ages and genders.
But my point is that you would expect the elderly to be more experienced in dealing with others having lived so many years and not be similar in social etiquette to a 10 year old child, right?

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Old men have hearing problems. So you got to look at them to gesture or talk to them louder.

Old people have slower reflexes too. So be more patient. They should not be driving too.

Some are senile liao. Cannot take care of themselves.

I for one getting old too, so I understand. Just be nicer to them, for they are once young and energetic like you now.

Some are arrogant in younger days, and that attitude will make them suffer in older age. Becos it becomes a habit. When you are young, you can get away with it, but when you are old, you got to depend on others to do it for you.

The worst are those who are old and yet refuse to admit, like to spur nonsense, endangering the general welfare of the people. Whom I am referring to you know lah.

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro

When you hit that age, you will understand. Being gacious in youth is more important becos it becomes a habit. Being mean in younger days will result in people hating you in old age, simply becos it becomes a habit and no one will come near you. You simply suffer in old age becos no one cares about you.

We all grow old, that is for sure, but make sure we grow old with grace. :smile:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Not saying that they have to be life or world changing scientists, doctors or economists, or that they have to give birth to such life changing people, but should they at least have learnt that they need to co-exist with other people in this world?

Just 2 examples at supermarkets.
This elderly woman was waiting at the checkout counter with a younger man, possibly her son. For some reason, she decided to stand behind and not beside him. She looked and sounded perfectly fine, no dementia or mental illness. After I said "excuse me" a few times, she finally moved a tinny step forward, still standing behind the man, until he had to gently tug her to stand beside him and I could pass.

Another example was an elderly man talking to his wife and both were blocking the supermarket aisle. After I said "excuse me" a few times and walked past, he stared at me as if I had stolen his money. And again, he looked and sounded perfectly sane and lucid.

My friend, if you truly understand what sinkie behavior is, then these display of behavior that you have mentioned will not be a confusion to you anymore.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When you hit that age, you will understand. Being gacious in youth is more important becos it becomes a habit. Being mean in younger days will result in people hating you in old age, simply becos it becomes a habit and no one will come near you. You simply suffer in old age becos no one cares about you.

We all grow old, that is for sure, but make sure we grow old with grace. :smile:

Nice advice from an unsinkified individual.

mudskipper

Alfrescian
Loyal

perhaps you should turn it around and ask if you have learnt anything in your life? if indeed the older man had stared at you after you have said "excuse me," its probably your tone or attitude which brought on the stare.

older folks are usually in their own element or world. you say "excuse me" and they move aside. perhaps their senses or awareness are not as sharp as the standard you expect of the public... (so as to give way automatically to your route of walking)

come on dude, display some exemplary graciousness and give the older folks their due respect. judging from your thread, it wont be surprising if you pick the wrong guy one day and get a little more than a stare.