• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Whack the fucking PRs!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Whack the fucking PRs!</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF noWrap align=right width="1%">From: </TD><TD class=msgFname noWrap width="68%">kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate noWrap align=right width="30%">Jan-28 7:33 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT noWrap align=right width="1%" height=20>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname noWrap width="68%">ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 19) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>6050.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Budget 2009: Cash grants should benefit citizens more than others

</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to last Friday's report, 'Cash grants to subsidise wage bills'.
In this economic downturn, I would like to see this cash grant benefit Singaporeans rather than permanent residents (PRs). A clearer distinction between companies that hire more Singaporeans and those that do not is needed.
In the figures released by the Ministry of Home Affairs, more than 50,000 foreigners became PRs in 2005 and 2006. But in the past 10 years, an average of just 8,500 a year became citizens.
In addition, many expatriate couples, with husband and wife equally qualified, have one spouse taking up Singapore citizenship to enjoy subsidies, while the other retains home country citizenship.
Many foreigners come here because they see Singapore as a land of opportunity which is clean, safe and good for families. But going by the number who become citizens, not many think of Singapore as their only home.
I know of Americans who cannot imagine giving up their US citizenship for a Singapore one. I presume US citizenship is something one is more inclined to take up than give up. I also know of a friend from India who, after living here for more than 10 years, decided to give up Singapore PR because she is concerned that her son would have to do two years of national service when he finishes his A levels.
To be sure, the Government has recently tried to draw a thicker line between PRs and citizens.
For example, non-citizens will have to pay more for education. They also pay more for health care. But many PRs consider these increases a small price to pay compared to other countries where they enjoy little subsidy at all.
As things stand, Singaporeans are losing jobs to foreigners in the face of competition for work. This affects even skilled workers and professionals.
Singapore workers feel vulnerable with the double whammy of globalisation and liberalised immigration. PRs choose to live in a place because it offers a certain standard of living, but they leave for another place if it makes a better offer. In applying this logic, I see using cash grants to subsidise wage bills as of little help to Singaporeans. Edmund Lin

[email protected]

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Good proposal: Levy for FTs on EPs</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF noWrap align=right width="1%">From: </TD><TD class=msgFname noWrap width="68%">kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate noWrap align=right width="30%">Jan-28 7:11 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT noWrap align=right width="1%" height=20>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname noWrap width="68%">ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 4) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>6048.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Budget 2009: Consider levy for hiring workers on employment pass

</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->BUDGET 2009 has unprecedentedly introduced a Jobs Credit scheme for a year to encourage businesses to retain Singaporeans in this economic downtown. This is achieved by giving up to 12 per cent worth of cash grants to employers with employees who are paid Central Provident Fund (CPF) contributions. It is encouraging to see such an initiative rolled out to help Singaporeans keep their jobs in this highly competitive environment.
However, the Government has also emphasised the need for foreign workers to keep operating costs low. They are here to supplement jobs that Singaporeans are unwilling to do, so companies remain competitive.
The Foreign Workers Levy and dependent ratio systems were introduced in order to manage the number of foreigners in the workforce. The levy for taking skilled workers on Work Permit (WP) in the manufacturing, construction and marine industry is $5 per day. On the other hand, there is no levy employing foreigners on employment pass or EP. (Those who qualify for the pass earn more than $2,500 a month or have a recognised qualification.)
Since most Singaporeans do not want to be construction workers due to relatively low pay and harsh conditions, they will most likely compete with foreigners on EP rather than WP.
In view of that, what is the rationale in introducing a levy and dependent ratio for workers on WP, while employers are free to hire foreign workers on EP?
I suggest that the authorities reduce the levy for employing foreigners on WP and consider introducing a levy for recruiting foreigners on EP, considering the fact that employers need to pay 13.5 per cent more to hire a Singaporean to do the same job. Lu Qimin

[email protected]

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=msgtablealt cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF noWrap align=right width="1%">From: </TD><TD class=msgFname noWrap width="68%">kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate noWrap align=right width="30%">Jan-28 7:17 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT noWrap align=right width="1%" height=20>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname noWrap width="68%">kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (2 of 4) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>6048.2 in reply to 6048.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Any levy (tax) is an obstacle.
As an EP holder I found my own work.
I pay rent, use public transport, eat out, buy from supermarkets as well as non food shopping.
What more do you want from me, blood - as well as taxes?
newcastle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newcastle
You want a Free Lunch? Go back home and start looking for it first.
Every country looks after its own first and foremost. Have you not heard that Charity begins at home?
You use public transport? who paid for that? It was there before you came.
You buy from supermarkets?? who eats the food? someone else? Nope, you do. YOu are paying for yourself
You are free to choose where you work. If you are not happy, go home.
Oh, I forget. If your country took care of you in the first place, you wouldnt be in Singapore, would you?
ProSingapore
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Govt should give more concessions to EP holders. They should pay about 20% of the pay he is getting. This will only keep him from quitting. If foreigners quit and go away singapore will be finished.
ForeignerTheOnlyHope
To Newcastle:
You think your situation is unique? Locals pay for the same stuff as well PLUS we send our Sons to national service to protect YOU and we contribute to our own retirement funds (CPF remember?). BTW, the government does'nt get our jobs for us, we have to compete with you lot as well , so what makes you think what you did is so great?
If you could get a job in your own country and think you cannot arbitrage our cheaper cost of living, Taxes etc you won't be HERE. So live with it.
SSTaxPayer
newcastle,
EPs may be willing to settle for less pay, because they live here alone, and has enough left over to remit back to their family living in their own county where cost of living is lower. Not sure if this is true for you. If I were an employer, I would then go for EP holders, which is a cheaper alternative.
This means a Singaporean who wants the job must be willing to accept the lower pay as well, but s/he has to contend with supporting family members here in Singapore where the cost of living is the same. For guys, they may have to settle for even less pay because they have to go for reservist.
Having a levy might balance the scales once again, but the downside is businesses without cheaper alternatives to labour will find it harder to survive.
lobo_respawned
Newcastle
thanks for EP holders like you, locals have to accept the lower pay as well.
thanks for that..
ProSingapore
Oh No! A new FT and non-FT war is going to start very soon.
The Israeli's soliders finally can take a rest for a while.
Singaporexyz
Singaprexyz..
which side are you on? haha
ProSingapore
ProSingapore,
My account name is the answer to your question.
I am now sitting in the GV Gold Class seat with the popcorn combo set to get ready for the show. haha...still CNY right? Should enjoy.

Singaporexyz
[email protected]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

M

mirror

The immigration problems have existed since day one when Foreign Coolies landed on this land. Our neighbours have been suspicious of us because of the different cultures, languages, foods, customs.. we have. They perceived Sinkieland as Little China, Little India, Little America.. We are unwelcome FTs with alien cultures, languages etc in this geography of Southeast Asia. From time to time, when there is a hiccup, we will be shouted at to get lost.

Today, Sinkiland has 90% foreign content. Our neighbours will even keener want to kick us out, just like the way we have been bashing FTs (or outselves rather).

No surprise.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
if 40% of sinkies married PRs.

then whatever benefits PRs get, 40% of sinkies also benefited.

tioh boh?

p.s. how come it so close to the 33.3%? is there a relationship between both? lol..

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead whacking the PRs.....why not whack the lawmakers.
They are the ones who open up the floodgate.

:o :( :o

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why fight pr for a few dollars?
not enough to do anything , with overprice hdb price, overprice car price.

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before you do that..

Singaporean MUST UNITED, don't be like a plate of loose sand !!

UNITED.. from top management to be man in the street.

UNITED.. and we will DO IT.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before you do that..

Singaporean MUST UNITED, don't be like a plate of loose sand !!

UNITED.. from top management
to be man in the street.
UNITED.. and we will DO IT.

err....for management to do that..very hard.
Gonna hurt my profit margins/bonus.

United...but bu but...
i can't buy my condo, my beemer and my annual europe tour.

Fug united, my self interest is more important.

:o :biggrin: :o

U

UpYoz_olo

Instead whacking the PRs.....why not whack the lawmakers.
They are the ones who open up the floodgate.

:o :( :o

You jai ah. Port you to the authorities then you know. This time I bet no leniency will be shown to any buggers trying another literal flaming of lawmakers.

You wu ji ah.

:oIo:

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
The regime loves cheap foreign talents.

They accept lower wages, work longer hours, do not vote, more docile than peasants (unless you stop paying them) and are expendable during recessions.

They pay taxes and depress local peasants' wages!!